PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Spring Breakers

Chaco Taco
03-16-2010, 18:38
For about 2 weeks every year, college students travel in droves to GA, NC, TN etc. to spend time in the woods for their spring break. WIth it brings, late nights, binge drinking, open display of drug use. I will say that there are some that come out looking for time away from school. I get that, but why do the immature Frat boys raid the trail like its Cancun??

Two Speed
03-16-2010, 18:42
Because they're busy in college the rest of the semester?

Mrs Baggins
03-16-2010, 18:48
How is that really any different from some regular AT hikers.

Lone Wolf
03-16-2010, 19:07
For about 2 weeks every year, college students travel in droves to GA, NC, TN etc. to spend time in the woods for their spring break. WIth it brings, late nights, binge drinking, open display of drug use. I will say that there are some that come out looking for time away from school. I get that, but why do the immature Frat boys raid the trail like its Cancun??

it's thier trail too. don't stay at or near shelters if it bothers ya. :)

SGT Rock
03-16-2010, 19:09
Or hostels too?:eek:

Chaco Taco
03-16-2010, 19:16
it's thier trail too. don't stay at or near shelters if it bothers ya. :)

I hear ya. I tented away from the shelter and still heard them through the nite

Blissful
03-16-2010, 19:29
How is that really any different from some regular AT hikers

Gotta agree with that - I've saw binge drinking and weed going around the thru hiker circle too. And late nights. Not that often but it was there.

Blissful
03-16-2010, 19:30
I hear ya. I tented away from the shelter and still heard them through the nite

Tenting doesn't help unless you get your water and get a half mile away at least.

Lion King
03-16-2010, 19:59
there is good and bad to it.

Its silly that a group of 6 take up a shelter, if you must stay in a shelter and get offended, and yes, some of them raise as much hell as jackhole hikers who party all day in town and show up at a shelter at 11 instead of camping and drink another case while building a fire and cursing and caterwalling all night--like the Frat guys, but smarter dressed for the conditions.

the good side is, Ive had some of those groups invite me over when they are cooking steaks and potatoes, hand me a cold coke, share jokes and stories, ask questions and leave no trace, well except for the weed I have to confiscate because weed bad, weed BAD! :D

another reason I avoid crowds.

Chaco Taco
03-16-2010, 20:06
Tenting doesn't help unless you get your water and get a half mile away at least.

I had done 21 miles so I got as far as I could in the fog and dark.

Praha4
03-16-2010, 21:01
from what I see in PC Beach during Spring Break, the "recession" can't be too bad if so many parents can afford to send Jonnie and Suzie to the beach with Daddy's Gold Card, and stay at beachfront hotels and condos. I hate to say this, cuz I know what it sounds like to younger folk, but when I was in HS and college in the 70s, we never even DREAMED of having the money to go to the beach for spring break. If we had time off from school, we had to get a JOB. (strange 3 letter word, many today don't know this word)

I'm not knockin all the kids on spring break, I know some have jobs and this is a one week time off, that's cool.... but I see way, way too many kids down here on spring break that are spoiled 20-something brats with daddy's gold card.

sbennett
03-16-2010, 21:16
Gotta agree with that - I've saw binge drinking and weed going around the thru hiker circle too. And late nights. Not that often but it was there.

All of this is true. I find non-spring breakers to be just as noisy and irksome at times.

I used my spring break in college to hike on the AT several years; and tried to be quiet along the way. :D

hellomolly
03-16-2010, 21:35
I'm not trying to be contrary or anything, but is some drinking and smoking at night along the trail really the worst thing in the world...? I'm no partier and would probably tend to pass on such festivities anyway as it's not my thing but I really can't see how it would be that bad, unless they are totally obnoxious and loud. But a joint and some beers... is that really a big deal?

DAJA
03-16-2010, 21:56
I'm not knockin all the kids on spring break, I know some have jobs and this is a one week time off, that's cool.... but I see way, way too many kids down here on spring break that are spoiled 20-something brats with daddy's gold card.

And this is the kids fault? You said yourself, "daddy's gold card"...

I'm not trying to be contrary or anything, but is some drinking and smoking at night along the trail really the worst thing in the world...? I'm no partier and would probably tend to pass on such festivities anyway as it's not my thing but I really can't see how it would be that bad, unless they are totally obnoxious and loud. But a joint and some beers... is that really a big deal?

Only to those who busy themselves with others business!