PDA

View Full Version : Clingmans Dome Road

valleyfire
03-16-2010, 20:41
Is the road to the tower open yet? If not when does it usualy open?

SGT Rock
03-16-2010, 20:44
Yesterday.

SGT Rock
03-16-2010, 20:45
Here is the link...

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Looks like it will be closed to May 28 this year for repaving.

Adayak
03-26-2010, 15:06
I was just looking this up earlier today. Was bummed to see Clingmans Dome is closed until the end of May. I am hoping to plan a trip to GRSM in about 2-3 weeks and wanted to take my wife to Clingmans for the first time.

Kerosene
03-27-2010, 09:46
I can't believe they'll be closing the road to re-pave! I should've called them last year to let them know that I wanted to start from Clingmans Dome with my daughter, then I'm sure they would've accommodated me. :rolleyes: It seems that my logistics get more screwed up with all the road closings than they do with other issues!

Ramble~On
03-27-2010, 14:17
Cade's Cove Loop Road, Clingman's Dome Road, Parson's Branch are gettting some seroiusly needed work. 441 on the NC side has been repaved and I think it's great to see some money being pumped into our National Parks. Everywhere I've been in the GSMNP lately seems to have some sort of work being done. I'm not sure if this is from Obama or what but whatever the source it is needed and appreciated. I for one don't view these roads being closed to vehicles as a bad thing!

Ox97GaMe
03-28-2010, 11:56
The road is usually closed each winter from Dec 1 - Mar 1. However, because of the stimulus money, they are repaving the road to Clingman's, installing new bathroom facilities, and renovating the existing bathroom facility into a visitor information center. The original plan was to be completed by May 28th, but the contractors are behind schedule right now, due to all the snow they have had in the park this year. Materials are currently being staged near Newfound Gap, and they have the road plowed out all the way to Clingman's now, so hopefully they can begin the major parts of the project. There is incentive for the contractors to be finished early, and I would anticipate they will be doing everything they can to meet that target date.

aBRG2far
03-28-2010, 16:54
Cade's Cove Loop Road, Clingman's Dome Road, Parson's Branch are gettting some seroiusly needed work. 441 on the NC side has been repaved and I think it's great to see some money being pumped into our National Parks. Everywhere I've been in the GSMNP lately seems to have some sort of work being done. I'm not sure if this is from Obama or what but whatever the source it is needed and appreciated. I for one don't view these roads being closed to vehicles as a bad thing!
Don't forget Roaring Fork too.

valleyfire
03-29-2010, 18:12
Thank yall for all the info

valleyfire
03-29-2010, 18:13
It did suck missing out on Cades Cove this year but I know it is going to be worth it after a new layer of asphalt