PDA

View Full Version : yeti uq or neoair

10-K
03-16-2010, 20:42
I'm fine tuning my hammock setup in anticipation of my upcoming hike and am trying to decide whether to get a yeti underquilt for my WBBB or take my regular length neoair.

The yeti weighs less and will work better with the hammock, but if I have to go to ground with my tarp or wind up in a shelter I wouldn't have a pad.

What would you do?

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 20:46
I have the Large NeoAir, I will be using a tent, Wonder how the NeoAir would be without the square footage stabilizing the footprint of the mattress?
Interesting. Have you tried it in the hammock?

10-K
03-16-2010, 20:52
I have the Large NeoAir, I will be using a tent, Wonder how the NeoAir would be without the square footage stabilizing the footprint of the mattress?
Interesting. Have you tried it in the hammock?

Not yet, but I'm planning on it. If I do take the neoair I'll probably get one of those SPE's that Speer sells which will take care of the sliding around problem.

The downside is that all these things start adding up weight wise..

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 21:43
Not yet, but I'm planning on it. If I do take the neoair I'll probably get one of those SPE's that Speer sells which will take care of the sliding around problem.

The downside is that all these things start adding up weight wise..

Exactly,
I started thinking about a cheap foam pad for under the NeoAir for insulation and protection, But add the extra weight and I could have just bought a Thermarest Luxury Map and had comfort and durability.
Decided to just get the repair kit for the NeoAir and I could always put spare clothing under the mattress for insulation.

Just Jeff
03-16-2010, 21:53
If you have a 1/2 or 2/3 underquilt, you'll need a torso-sized CCF pad (or similar) for your legs. You can also use that CCF as a sit pad for wet logs, windscreen for your stove, frame for your pack, etc. And if you ever have to sleep on the ground for some reason, you have at least a torso CCF pad and can put your pack under your legs.

But several folks have hammocked the entire AT. You can even hang hammocks in some shelters if you're careful about it. And polite to the other folks in there, but you're actually opening up space b/c you can store your stuff under you and free up the area beside you.

Tinker
03-16-2010, 22:35
Carry a piece of 3/8" blue foam cut to the height of your backpack and length of your torso (shoulders to hips). Let it line your pack (further protecting your belongings) and stuff your gear into it. It takes up very little space and can function as a sit pad or "doormat" of sorts when you get into and out of your hammock in bare or stocking feet. Make sure you keep something on it when using it as a mat or it might blow away. A ti skewer stake can also do the job. Spray it with Permethrin to keep ticks and spiders off.

scope
03-16-2010, 23:03
Get the UQ and take the pad, and don't get the SPE. First, the SPE does nothing for sliding around, except maybe to help it slide more (since its a sil sleeve). Plus, the Neo Air has kind of a tacky exterior, right? You could go with it by itself, except being an air pad I still think you need a little insulation. Plus the Neo Air is pretty minimal for taking extra gear. The price you pay for making sure you're warm and cozy in the hammock is worth it.

Just Jeff
03-16-2010, 23:25
The SPE is spandex on the back and DWR on top...it's not sil. And since it has wings, it does help with the sliding. Have you ever used one? It's a pretty good setup if you're a pad user.

Just Jeff
03-16-2010, 23:27
And the medium sized neo air (72"x20") is 14 oz...some people consider that minimal, others don't. Just gotta find what fits your style. FWIW, a 3 season yeti by Warbonnet is 11.5 oz and a full-length JRB Stealth is 15 oz.

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 00:01
Make a pocket pad if you are interested in a pad. Mine weighs about 11.2 ounces and keeps me warm down into the 20s easy. You can slide another pad inside it if you want even more insulation and it doesn't slide around at all - which can be a little bit of an issue if you don't have it set in the right place before you get in LOL.
http://hikinghq.net/gear/pocket_pad.html

10-K
03-17-2010, 10:16
The trouble with strapping a ccf pad to the top of a catalyst is that you can't use a pack cover. Not that I've ever used one, but I picked one up thinking it would be a handy item to have in the sure-to-be rain I'll be hiking in. I can pack a neoair or uq inside the pack.

I'm going to haul the hammock down to the state park and try some different options and decide from there I guess.

In other news, I did pick up a used Speer Winter Tarp to replace my 10x12 Equinox. Saves a few oz's and I like the way you can close up the ends.

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 10:18
I strap my pad to the outside of my Conduit pack. To the back, vertically. The pack cover fits.

10-K
03-17-2010, 10:25
I strap my pad to the outside of my Conduit pack. To the back, vertically. The pack cover fits.

Did you add the straps? The catalyst has a strap running from the front of the pack, over the top and a buckle on the back. I can't see how you'd strap something vertically on a catalyst.

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 10:34
Under the bungee. I'll try and get a picture up.

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 10:54
Here are the pictures...

The pack without a pad:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/100_0048_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40023&c=newimages)

With a Conduit you would have to add some 1/16" bungie, but it would be easie to make a figure 8 using the two bottom straps for poles and the side compression straps.

Here is the pack with the pad in place:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/100_0049_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40024&c=newimages)

Here is the pack with the cover over the whole works:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/100_0050_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40025&c=newimages)

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 11:15
I just looked at the NeoAir specs. The regular is going to be narrow for hammock camping.

10-K
03-17-2010, 11:59
I just looked at the NeoAir specs. The regular is going to be narrow for hammock camping.

Thanks for the pics!

I was toying with the idea of getting (or making) a SPE to use with the neoair. The extra width would probably make it all work.

Every idea adds more weight unfortunately.

Kerosene
03-17-2010, 12:00
I just looked at the NeoAir specs. The regular is going to be narrow for hammock camping.I agree. If you're really serious about hammocking, then I'd strongly suggest going the UQ route. The only time you'll really have an issue is when you're above treeline (or in the desert), and in most cases you'll know ahead of time that there won't be trees around.

skinny minnie
03-17-2010, 13:41
The neoair is narrow - I'm a narrow person and I noticed it! Didn't bother me though. I am loving the comfort of it so far. Have not thrown it in the hammock yet (JRB bridge so it has a pad pocket) since I just bought the pad last night! I might start off with the neo and an underquilt... I sleep cold... then play around it with the quilt while hiking and if I feel comfortable I'll send it home for the summer until I hit the Whites. I definitely want a pad as an option for sleeping in shelters and in the huts in the Whites. It's too bad it's not more durable, but man, is it ever cushy. I modded my hammock and am keeping my pack weight relatively low so I am gonna suck it up and have both.

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 14:00
Trust me. You may be narrow, but even then you are going to want about 24" in a hammock pad because of the way things curl up.

Inwoods
03-17-2010, 14:00
Regarding the Neo-air, you may want to do a search on BPL. there seems to be alot of poeple saying this pad is not enough warmth for early spring camping. There is a very interesting thread in the forums about how the R-value of the pad+clothing worn in the bag=comfortable low temp. rating. May want to check it out . IMO after trying it out around 25 deg i also found this accurate. Do test it as you had stated.

skinny minnie
03-17-2010, 14:04
Trust me. You may be narrow, but even then you are going to want about 24" in a hammock pad because of the way things curl up.

Dang it! Ok, I'm trying it out after 5... will post what I think!

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 14:42
Watch what happens around your shoulders and hips. Good idea to test before going out to the woods ;)

10-K
03-17-2010, 15:17
According to what I've read, it seems that it works best if you don't inflate the neoair all the way.

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 15:20
According to what I've read, it seems that it works best if you don't inflate the neoair all the way.

That may help, but won't affect the width issue.

10-K
03-17-2010, 15:44
BTW, I'm going to be hiking May 16th - July 16th so it'll be warmer than it is now....

What about an underquilt (yeti) and my Montbell SS #7 (50*) bag as a top quilt. But then I'm still screwed if I have to go to ground or stay in a shelter.

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 15:50
In those times I just use my wide pad and JRB Quilt on top.

What you will find, even in the spring/summer time is how easy it will be to lose heat around your shoulders and hips. Some folks just get a pad for these areas. I've experienced ice in the Appalachians in May, and that said, you can get cool even when it is in the 40s and 50s if your heat doesn't retain. The hammock will burrito up (for lack of a better term) around you, your shoulders and hips being the most vulnerable. In weather you would normally be fine on when on the ground with a 20" wide pad and that bag, you will likely find uncomfortable in a hammock because your heat will go out around your shoulders and hips. The solution is a closed cell foam pad at least 24" wide which is cheap and light.

10-K
03-17-2010, 16:00
In those times I just use my wide pad and JRB Quilt on top.

What you will find, even in the spring/summer time is how easy it will be to lose heat around your shoulders and hips. Some folks just get a pad for these areas. I've experienced ice in the Appalachians in May, and that said, you can get cool even when it is in the 40s and 50s if your heat doesn't retain. The hammock will burrito up (for lack of a better term) around you, your shoulders and hips being the most vulnerable. In weather you would normally be fine on when on the ground with a 20" wide pad and that bag, you will likely find uncomfortable in a hammock because your heat will go out around your shoulders and hips. The solution is a closed cell foam pad at least 24" wide which is cheap and light.

I wish there was a way to easily strap it to my pack w/o interfering with my pack cover.

First thing I'm going to do is try out the neoair by itself in the hammock. I don't have much hope for this experiment.

Then it's off to Wally World. They actually have a 26" ccf pad but I'm afraid I'll catch on every limb and stick on the trail with something that wide.... The ticket would be to strap it vertically - I'll have to look closer at your pictures and see what I can cook up.

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 16:02
If you cut that pad to the length between your shoulder tops and the bottom of your buttocks you may be able to Z fold it flat and find a better way to attach it to your pack or put it inside your pack against your back.

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 16:09
BTW, the dilemma you are having now is how I ruined my first home made pad.

1azarus
03-17-2010, 17:05
hello 10K. i'm in the position of having used both the yeti and the neoair. the neoair is really fine to use if you get a short, down to maybe 40 or 50 degrees, without anything else but a sleeping bag. honest. no need for any of that weight-adding segmented pad stuff, and the neoair is sooooo light and small. below those temps you'd want to add a larger 1/4" foam pad -- still light enough, and you can just put the neoair on top of the pad. i also have "bulk" issues and dislike larger pads for that reason. the yeti i have is a winter yeti, and it is a perfect underquilt. perfect! it isn't uncomfortable to sleep on the neoair, but the yeti is more comfortable yet(i). if i were going on your hike, i'd get a three season yeti and just plan to be in my hammock every night. i'll agree with those saying that there isn't ever a reason to sleep on the floor in a shelter if you like to hammock... and it only gets complicated in the whites.

10-K
03-17-2010, 17:29
hello 10K. i'm in the position of having used both the yeti and the neoair. the neoair is really fine to use if you get a short, down to maybe 40 or 50 degrees, without anything else but a sleeping bag. honest. no need for any of that weight-adding segmented pad stuff, and the neoair is sooooo light and small. below those temps you'd want to add a larger 1/4" foam pad -- still light enough, and you can just put the neoair on top of the pad. i also have "bulk" issues and dislike larger pads for that reason. the yeti i have is a winter yeti, and it is a perfect underquilt. perfect! it isn't uncomfortable to sleep on the neoair, but the yeti is more comfortable yet(i). if i were going on your hike, i'd get a three season yeti and just plan to be in my hammock every night. i'll agree with those saying that there isn't ever a reason to sleep on the floor in a shelter if you like to hammock... and it only gets complicated in the whites.

Say............. aren't you the same guy that encouraged me to hike in a blizzard a few months ago? :) :)

Good info thanks... Maybe a 3 season yeti and a short piece of ccf inside my pack like SR suggested would be just the ticket. BUT... considering I'll be hiking in May-July do you think the neoair would be enough by itself?

I'm trying my best to hammock but I really, really want to keep it under 5 lbs - which is already almost 2 lbs over my Lunar Duo....

1azarus
03-17-2010, 17:59
Say............. aren't you the same guy that encouraged me to hike in a blizzard a few months ago? :) :)

Good info thanks... Maybe a 3 season yeti and a short piece of ccf inside my pack like SR suggested would be just the ticket. BUT... considering I'll be hiking in May-July do you think the neoair would be enough by itself?

I'm trying my best to hammock but I really, really want to keep it under 5 lbs - which is already almost 2 lbs over my Lunar Duo....

gee, i was hoping you didn't remember! i would definitely go with the yeti... and i would cut two pieces of 1/8 or 1/4" foam into six inch by 18 inch strips to slide into my rain paints legs if i needed lower leg insulation... which you won't always need, anyway.

Raul Perez
03-17-2010, 18:11
10-K,

I'd opt for the Yeti and you can get the Gossamer Gear Wide 1/4" Thinlight pad that weighs very little for your legs. You can cut it to your desire and at $30 plus shipping it's not breaking the bank.

Laid in my hammock using only that pad for an afternoon nap in Bear Mountain in 50* and my back was fine.

I have the neo air and to be honest I havent tried it in the hammock but tried it on the ground and wasn't that satisfied with it. It does roll up into NOTHING and weighs even less though.

As far as having something that's multi-functional for your trip and maybe sleeping on the ground or at a shelter... I'm not sure why you would want to when it's more comfy in a hammock. But I understand its a contingency plan who knows what could happen to your hammock during the trip... same could be said for your tent, sleeping bag, pad... etc.

10-K
03-17-2010, 19:37
With the yeti as an underquilt would it be feasible to use a 50* bag as an overquilt? I sleep warm and if it were much cooler I'd have 2 layers and my thermawrap to put on....

The yeti and my 50* mont bell down bag both weigh the same as my 20* down bag....

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 21:20
Probably. Hard to say since everyone deals with cold different.

Just Jeff
03-18-2010, 00:28
Some thoughts:

- IMO underquilts are the most comfortable, least bulk, and most convenient way to hammock. But pads do work and keep lots of people warm, happy, and off the ground.
- I could use an Exped Downmat 7 w/o wings or extra pads when I was ~195 lbs. I'm 5' 10" tall and under 180 now. The Downmat 7 is 20" wide by 2.8" thick (7 cm, hence the Downmat 7), and worked for me at Mt Rogers in January into the teens. Part of the reason is b/c it sits me up so high in the hammock. The neo-air is 2.5" thick, so if you fully inflate it then it could give similar results. I fully inflate my Downmat...others don't...just find what's comfortable. But the point is that you may be able to use a fully inflated neo-air w/o worrying about cold spots on your shoulders and hips.
- Walmart has a 28" wide pad now. It lists at 1/2" thick, but these are just the textured part...the space between the shapes is probably 1/8" thick so that would affect how warm it will be, but it will probably also help with condensation issues b/c of how it's textured. This isn't the egg crate pad. So if you want to try a pad, especially in shoulder seasons, you might consider dropping the $12 on this one to start. As will all CCF, bulk will be an issue but weight and cost are a definite advantage with this one.

skinny minnie
03-18-2010, 11:17
Ok, here are the results of a flawed experiment with the neo and a bear mountain bridge hammock. Flawed because I attempted this after several drinks to celebrate St. Patrick's day! Plus I should have pushed the temps with a less warm bag and I was too much of a wuss to try.

Temperature was low thirties. I used the neoair and my 20 degree nunatak quilt, (no underquilt) slept in fleece tights, light wool hat, socks and my montbell jacket. I was toasty. Even took the jacket & hat off. The only part of me that was cold was my nose. The neo kept me very warm - even when I didn't have the quilt wrapped completely under me I felt good.

Now here's the problem: I toss and turn. So, despite the neo being insanely narrow things would have been fine - if I slept like a corpse. But I don't. So flipping over to one side the neo would be pushed up right against the edge and it created this annoying slant. The neo also felt insanely overfilled with air even after I let air out a few times.

At 3 am I decided to admit that Sgt. Rock was right :)

I'm going to go lay in it sober now and see if that makes a difference!

10-K
03-18-2010, 11:23
Some thoughts:

- IMO underquilts are the most comfortable, least bulk, and most convenient way to hammock. But pads do work and keep lots of people warm, happy, and off the ground.
- I could use an Exped Downmat 7 w/o wings or extra pads when I was ~195 lbs. I'm 5' 10" tall and under 180 now. The Downmat 7 is 20" wide by 2.8" thick (7 cm, hence the Downmat 7), and worked for me at Mt Rogers in January into the teens. Part of the reason is b/c it sits me up so high in the hammock. The neo-air is 2.5" thick, so if you fully inflate it then it could give similar results. I fully inflate my Downmat...others don't...just find what's comfortable. But the point is that you may be able to use a fully inflated neo-air w/o worrying about cold spots on your shoulders and hips.
- Walmart has a 28" wide pad now. It lists at 1/2" thick, but these are just the textured part...the space between the shapes is probably 1/8" thick so that would affect how warm it will be, but it will probably also help with condensation issues b/c of how it's textured. This isn't the egg crate pad. So if you want to try a pad, especially in shoulder seasons, you might consider dropping the $12 on this one to start. As will all CCF, bulk will be an issue but weight and cost are a definite advantage with this one.

I'm going to be carrying this stuff for 800 miles.... I'm looking for lightweight and packs small.

I guess... and I won't know for sure until I see for myself that the neoair is too narrow... that the Yeti with my summer bag is the best mix of weight, warmth and packability.

It will just totally suck if I wind up on the ground or in a shelter.

SGT Rock
03-18-2010, 11:44
I'm going to be carrying this stuff for 800 miles.... I'm looking for lightweight and packs small.

I guess... and I won't know for sure until I see for myself that the neoair is too narrow... that the Yeti with my summer bag is the best mix of weight, warmth and packability.

It will just totally suck if I wind up on the ground or in a shelter.

Then don't ever sleep in a shelter or on the ground ;)

Or if you do sleep in a shelter, hang your hammock in it.

If you want absolute smallest to pack up, then go with an underquilt. IF you want absolute lightest you go with some sort of pad. I still think at least 24" wide is the standard. I've tried 20" pads and didn't like them.

How about a hybrid approach? Get a Z rest 20" wide and cut it so it is about 28" long. Carry that and your neo Air and make a "T" with them inside the hammock. Then if you have to go to ground or shelter you have your neo air and you can z fold your other pad up and make a pillow or foot rest out of it.

10-K
03-18-2010, 13:12
I need an assistant to carry my extras is what I need. :)

I'll know what I want to do as soon as I try the neoair in the hammock. If it works, that's what I'll take. If not - I'll go with the yeti.

SouthMark
03-18-2010, 16:26
I used my neoair underinflated in my Blackbird to 29º on the Pinhoti in February with Go Lite Ulta 20 quilt. Woke mildly cool around 3 am but went back to sleep. I'm a cold sleeper. Tested the neoair in my HH Adventure Racer to 16º with 1/4 inch GG pad. Slept wonderful. Hammock is more comfortable to me with the underinflated neao air. Provides a cushioning feeling. I have a yeti and use it but I like the cushion feeling of the neao air.

10-K
03-18-2010, 18:51
Just once I'd like a definitive answer. :)

SGT Rock
03-18-2010, 18:53
Good luck with that. Everything is so subjective.

Just Jeff
03-18-2010, 20:47
I can tell you what definitely works for me under a certain set of conditions... :D

Rock can tell you what has definitely worked for him in the past...

So if you want a definite answer, just ask a question that can be answered that way!

Rock - I agree that 20" is too narrow for most pads. The Exped is so thick that it holds me up high enough in the hammock so there's no compression on my shoulders and hips.

1azarus
03-19-2010, 07:31
I need an assistant to carry my extras is what I need. :)

I'll know what I want to do as soon as I try the neoair in the hammock. If it works, that's what I'll take. If not - I'll go with the yeti.

there's your definitive answer. and you have two good choices! that makes you a lucky man.

10-K
03-19-2010, 09:40
there's your definitive answer. and you have two good choices! that makes you a lucky man.

All things considered - I am a lucky man, that's for sure. Healthy, good family, I have everything I need and most of what I want - what's not to like about that? :)

So.... last night I was thinking neoair. This morning I'm feeling yeti w/ summer bag as overquilt.

Over on hammockforums.net there's a thread about "How are you lowering your weight?". Seems everything I'm doing *adds* weight. It simply isn't going to be possible to go as light as my Lunar Duo setup and even that is heavy by a lot of people's standards.

Kerosene
03-19-2010, 10:02
It simply isn't going to be possible to go as light as my Lunar Duo setup and even that is heavy by a lot of people's standards.I came to the same conclusion. Hammocking may offer more comfort, and perhaps more flexibility is some cases, but my the more weight I can take off my knees the better! I just pre-purchased a Cuben fiber tarp for use in the bug-free months, which will cut another 8 ounces off my carry-weight.

10-K
03-19-2010, 10:45
I came to the same conclusion. Hammocking may offer more comfort, and perhaps more flexibility is some cases, but my the more weight I can take off my knees the better! I just pre-purchased a Cuben fiber tarp for use in the bug-free months, which will cut another 8 ounces off my carry-weight.

That's where my assistant comes in. :)

SGT Rock
03-19-2010, 19:07
All things considered - I am a lucky man, that's for sure. Healthy, good family, I have everything I need and most of what I want - what's not to like about that? :)

So.... last night I was thinking neoair. This morning I'm feeling yeti w/ summer bag as overquilt.

Over on hammockforums.net there's a thread about "How are you lowering your weight?". Seems everything I'm doing *adds* weight. It simply isn't going to be possible to go as light as my Lunar Duo setup and even that is heavy by a lot of people's standards.

I've noticed that. When I started hammocking it was an ultralight Asym. I tried to find the lowest possible weight to stay warm and happy which was basically using a pad and a quilt. The hammock direction seemed to go to adding caribeeners, figure 9s, pad extenders, spreader bar bridge hammocks, 2 pound super underquilts, more accessory pockets, etc. Hammock hangs I went to the hammocks seemed more and more elaborate. People adding buckles and straps and such. It seemed like every time I went to one there was a new "fad" in what hammockers were doing to their rigs while I was still sleeping in my Ultralight Asym with a pad and a quilt. It wasn't really the direction I wanted to go in. Which is sort of why I didn't do much at Hammock Forums for a long time. I have sorted out some good tricks there too to lower weight while making it easy to set up fast.

In '08 when I planned a winter start, I added some of that stuff because I was looking at very cold temps and serious weather, but I'vet tried to avoid some of the "creep" into the hammock system. I do have a more robust hanging system for winter weather, but I don't carry it around all the time.

Basically, my hammock is down to about 10.5 ounces (+5.5 ounces when the bugs are out), my tarp is about 8.7 ounces, and I still prefer a pad for light, cheap insulation that can work on the ground too which is about 11.2 ounces. And I still like a light quilt to sleep under which is only about 21 ounces.

I could probably go a little lighter by sleeping on the ground, but not by much. And I find the hammock more comfortable. I am still looking for ways to make the hammock weigh less and avoid making the system more complex than it needs to be.

Bottom line I guess I am saying is watch out for what the latest hammock fad is. If you follow everything that seems to be the in thing you "have to get" you will spend a lot of time, weight, and money on trying to be happy with a hammock.

10-K
03-19-2010, 19:51
Bottom line I guess I am saying is watch out for what the latest hammock fad is. If you follow everything that seems to be the in thing you "have to get" you will spend a lot of time, weight, and money on trying to be happy with a hammock.

That has the sound of truth in it for sure.

I don't mean to sterotype but hammockers seem to enjoy hammocking more than hiking - I don't mean that in a derogatory way or as a put down. I don't want to "go hang". I want to "go hike". :)

I just want to tweak my hammock & accessories enough to have the most amount of comfort/warmth I can get for the least amount of weight. I definitely want to stop before I reach the point of diminishing returns.

SGT Rock
03-19-2010, 19:56
That has the sound of truth in it for sure.

I don't mean to sterotype but hammockers seem to enjoy hammocking more than hiking - I don't mean that in a derogatory way or as a put down. I don't want to "go hang". I want to "go hike". :)
I gotta agree with ya. I started using a hammock to have more fun hiking. It is sort of like that country song: "I was using a hammock before using a hammock was cool".

I've been to a couple of hangs, but it isn't what I get into hammocks for. Generally I go to one when I'm already going to be where one is being held. I've not gone out of my way to attend one.

Raul Perez
03-19-2010, 22:54
I hear you 10K on the hike than the hammock.

Got my big 3 to 4.5lbs for the summer

Hammock, stakes & SpinnUL Tarp - 2.6lbs

Black Mamba Top Quilt - 1.2lbs

2/3 Underquilt & Thinlight Pad - 0.8lbs

Total shelter/sleep system 4.6lbs

I actually added about 1.2 ounces to my system recently in favor of the continous ridgeline I made myself. Honeslty its a great add as it increases my set up time and allows me to adjust the tarp without the hassle of re-tying anything.

10-K
03-20-2010, 07:16
I hear you 10K on the hike than the hammock.

Got my big 3 to 4.5lbs for the summer

Hammock, stakes & SpinnUL Tarp - 2.6lbs

Black Mamba Top Quilt - 1.2lbs

2/3 Underquilt & Thinlight Pad - 0.8lbs

Total shelter/sleep system 4.6lbs

I actually added about 1.2 ounces to my system recently in favor of the continous ridgeline I made myself. Honeslty its a great add as it increases my set up time and allows me to adjust the tarp without the hassle of re-tying anything.

I've been following your reports here and on hammock forums, thanks for posting them.

I'd be thrilled to get below 5 lbs for my entire sleep system. I'm going to spend some time this weekend experiementing with different pad configurations (ccf, neoair, z-rest) and if I can't find a good solution with what I already have I'll give the yeti a try.

I'm glad the point about having the lastest "cool thing" was brought up because I get into that mentality pretty easy. Though I did walk around the REI in Asheville and didn't find anything I wanted to buy. :)

SGT Rock
03-20-2010, 20:21
I'm glad the point about having the lastest "cool thing" was brought up because I get into that mentality pretty easy. Though I did walk around the REI in Asheville and didn't find anything I wanted to buy. :)
You are on the right track then.

1azarus
03-20-2010, 21:11
yup. i think the neoair is the lightest insulation available if that is the key. might try an even smaller tarp and might go netless -- i just use a head net to save weight. i know you have that new warbonnet -- but a cheap netless hammock is lighter...

10-K
03-20-2010, 21:28
yup. i think the neoair is the lightest insulation available if that is the key. might try an even smaller tarp and might go netless -- i just use a head net to save weight. i know you have that new warbonnet -- but a cheap netless hammock is lighter...

I think the yeti is a few oz's lighther than my regular length neoair... I'll have to double check that.

Probably I'm making way too much fuss about this anyway.. I just hiked the Foothills Trail with nothing but my 20* Montbell down bag and a folded up sheet of tyvek for bottom insulation and did just fine in the hammock. It was in the mid-low 30's every night.

It is definitely trippy getting into a sleeping bag with a liner inside a hammock.

Wags
03-21-2010, 10:06
hi 10-k. here's my set up.

20+ golite top quilt 20oz
1.1 WBBB 25oz
OES spinn deluxe 11 oz
coleman 24x72 sleeping pad 10oz
stakes/extra guylines 3oz

total weight 69oz

if i had some extra scratch laying around i'd definitely get either a yeti or stormcrow's crownest. but i have a hard time justifying why i'd need to replace something that works just fine. as the season goes on i take a smaller section of pad until in the summer when i'm just carrying a 24"x20" sit pad/butt pad

1azarus
03-21-2010, 18:23
i just want to hear that you are having a great hike. when do you leave?

10-K
03-21-2010, 20:31
i just want to hear that you are having a great hike. when do you leave?

Catch the train in NC just after midnight and arrive in NYC on May 15th around 1:30 pm... Starting on the Western side of Bear Mt. Bridge heading to Kathadin - at least that's my goal. I'm still trying to decide if I want to try to get on the trail later in the afternoon or get a room and start fresh the morning of the 16th.

So........... I went to the park with my hammock and pads today but first just let me say that the Speer Winter Tarp I picked up is the BOMB. What a nice tarp. I was windy (15-20 mph) at the park and I was able to get a tight pitch and close the ends up nicely around the hammock which would make for very good storm protection. I'm glad I decided to buy it.

Now... about the pads.. I took a 6' Z-rest, 72" piece of 20" wide CCF and my regular length neoair.

1. Neoair: Has potential but it would not stay put for me when I turned over on my side which I have a tendency to do throughout the night. Even when it slipped off of me it wasn't uncomfortable - it just wasn't providing any insulation to my upper body.

2. Z-rest: Just didn't feel right. It worked better than the neoair at staying in place but there was just something about it I didn't like.

3. CCF: Best of the three. Didn't slip at all during turns and would probably work fine. Added bonus is that it's the lightest of the 3.

Bottom line: It's CCF or the Yeti. Major downside to the CCF is that it'll have to be strapped to the top of my pack, screwing up my ability to use a pack cover.

The reality is, I'm working up the nerve to pull the trigger on a Yeti. :)

1azarus
03-21-2010, 20:39
...first thing i said -- the yeti is a perfect underquilt. easy to use. not any bigger or heavier than it needs to be. compresses... perfect.

10-K
03-21-2010, 20:59
...first thing i said -- the yeti is a perfect underquilt. easy to use. not any bigger or heavier than it needs to be. compresses... perfect.

Just ordered one. I'm done. D-O-N-E done... :)

SGT Rock
03-21-2010, 21:43
It's good to be decisive.

Raul Perez
03-21-2010, 21:50
10K report when you lay in the Yeti....

Here was my first reaction laying in the 3 season yeti in 40 degree weather:

Yeah right.... laid in it.... 15 seconds later... is that my back getting that warm?!

It is basically instant gratification.

1azarus
03-22-2010, 07:20
what's really amazing is that you had choices between two wonderful pieces of brilliantly designed gear -- one from a main-stream company, and one from a cottage industry. both are really innovative.

10-K
03-22-2010, 08:06
what's really amazing is that you had choices between two wonderful pieces of brilliantly designed gear -- one from a main-stream company, and one from a cottage industry. both are really innovative.

Very true. And, part of my decision making was the fact that by buying the yeti I was supporting a guy with a very small business instead of a corporation. Not that I have anything against corporations - just that it's more rewarding to help out someone more directly.

Raul Perez
03-27-2010, 12:16
10-K,

Just wondering if you received the yeti yet and your report on your decision.

Raul

1azarus
03-27-2010, 14:56
yeah. come on. the suspense is building.

10-K
03-27-2010, 17:19
Not yeti. :) Still waiting on it.

I did just get back a few hours ago from hiking the 33 mile section between Devil's Fork Gap and Erwin.

When I get unpacked and everything situated I've got some pictures of my Speer Winter tarp for you guys to critque.

Raul Perez
04-03-2010, 10:23
Doing my weekly check in to see how u like the yeti if u have tried it yet

10-K
04-03-2010, 12:26
Doing my weekly check in to see how u like the yeti if u have tried it yet

Still waiting on the yeti.... :(

Raul Perez
04-03-2010, 21:15
Oh boy guess I'll be waiting for a bit myself just ordered the 3 season mamba. Hope it gets to me by the 23rd I'm hitting the trails for my 3 season gear shakedown for my 40 mile hike the end of may.

10-K
04-03-2010, 21:24
Oh boy guess I'll be waiting for a bit myself just ordered the 3 season mamba. Hope it gets to me by the 23rd I'm hitting the trails for my 3 season gear shakedown for my 40 mile hike the end of may.

Brandon emailed me today and said it should ship this week. I've got one more weekend hike myself before I hit the trail for 2 months. I wish I had a bit more time to test things out.

Raul Perez
04-03-2010, 21:33
I wish I had 2 months to hit the trail... Hope u have a great time. You'll be finishing up your section hike of the AT right?

10-K
04-03-2010, 21:53
I wish I had 2 months to hit the trail... Hope u have a great time. You'll be finishing up your section hike of the AT right?

That's the plan. :)

I'd like to get this hammock/tent issue worked out asap. I even pitched my 1 man tent this afternoon and was considering taking it. It's a bit more cramped than I'd like but at 2 lbs including stakes and pole, it's a lot lighter than any other options.

10-K
04-09-2010, 11:50
The Yeti has arrived!

I'm going to try and go on a hike next weekend to test it out.

1azarus
04-09-2010, 15:35
Brandon emailed me today and said it should ship this week. I've got one more weekend hike myself before I hit the trail for 2 months. I wish I had a bit more time to test things out.
i tell you, the yeti is about the only piece of hammock-related equipment that any idiot could use right out of the shipping box. flat learning curve. you'll fall in love. and i know you'll have a spectacular hike.

10-K
04-09-2010, 15:54
i tell you, the yeti is about the only piece of hammock-related equipment that any idiot could use right out of the shipping box. flat learning curve. you'll fall in love. and i know you'll have a spectacular hike.

Indeed, I believe this is something I can figure out!

I wish it had come eariler so I could have planned a hike for this weekend - it's going to be in the 40's and clear over the weekend.

Just Jeff
04-09-2010, 20:08
Actually, it's not hard to put it on backwards if it's dark. Make sure you put the pearl snap in the right place, and it's pretty idiot-proof! :D

Raul Perez
04-18-2010, 13:18
Ok any review yet?

Connie
05-11-2010, 23:45
Review here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1002269#post1002269).

peter_pan
05-12-2010, 19:55
Sgt Rock,

Are you still using your namesake quilt, the original No Sniveller?

Pan

earplug94
05-13-2010, 11:25
I just received the Yeti underquilt! It really is great. It was so amazing just to be free of the pad for a bit and such. I think it will be great when it cools down here also. Great stuff.

SGT Rock
05-13-2010, 11:31
Sgt Rock,

Are you still using your namesake quilt, the original No Sniveller?

Pan

Absolutely I love that quilt.

In warmer weather I use it on top with a pad under me, and in colder weather it shifts to the bottom and I have a Nunatak Back Country Blanket on top. I've been thinking of getting something a little lighter - like maybe another No-Sniveler for the top to replace the Nunatak.

That said, this summer for the SUL Challenge thing I did, I used one of your light summer quilts, I forget what the name of it is.