PDA

View Full Version : NJ High Point SOBO 3/27-??

Tinker
03-16-2010, 23:06
I'm planning on continuing southward in NJ the weekend after next. I'm hoping I can get the day before Passover (3/29) off so I can hike from 3/27-3/30 (4 days). That way I can do it at a relaxing pace.
Anyone interested?

sasquatch2014
03-17-2010, 10:33
I will need to check on a few things but this is a section I need to complete. I have the number for a guy I met when I did the Culvers to NJ/NY line that shuttles in that area if we need him.

Peanut
03-19-2010, 06:45
Sasquatch, didn't I do this section with you last spring?

sasquatch2014
03-19-2010, 08:17
Yeah we did the Culvers Gap north. So there might be a day or so of overlap if jumping on at High Point or start a day later. Hey do you remember digger from the Pa Ruck? Also goes by Take This Bread? He is up this way while waiting for some of the snow to melt out down south and is going to do the rest of PA and MD/WV before he heads back down. I told him you, Andy and Powder River are all down in that area and may want to jump on trail for a few days.

Peanut
03-20-2010, 20:13
sounds good...do we know when he'll be there? I'd love to do some trail magic for him or something...

Tinker
03-21-2010, 14:32
So far I have a maybe from Sasquatch.
To catch up on info:
I was NOT able to get Monday off, so I will do two days, either Sat. and Sun. and/or Tues. Wed. Any place south of High Point and DWG is good.
Sasquatch may come along on Sat./Sun.
If he can't, I would probably be better off doing a solo on Tues./Wed. If so I will have to try to find someone willing to shuttle me, or resort to the old standard of sticking out the 'ol thumb.

sasquatch2014
03-21-2010, 21:35
If you do that and show a bit of leg I can promise you that you will be spending the night on the side of the road! I have seen your legs and it would make me swerve into the oncoming lane of traffic!

bustedchucks
03-22-2010, 09:39
If I can get what I need to get done during the week (should be able to), I would be interested in joining you. What would you plan on hiking if you do Sat/Sun?

Peanut
03-23-2010, 06:43
Hi Tinker! Sorry I can't make it! Hope you have fun!

jersey joe
03-23-2010, 08:42
One thing is for sure, anyone hiking in NJ this week will have NO problem finding water.

Tinker
03-23-2010, 19:34
Update:
Due to recent scheduling changes I will be hiking Tues. and Wed. the 30th and 31st.
I will return the following week to hike Mon. and Tues. (Passover beginning and ending).
So far I have a maybe from Sasquatch (he may bring his son, and, as usual, his dog).

Busted Chucks: Sorry I won't be able to hike the weekend.
Peanut: Sorry I can't hike with you this trip.
Sasquatch: Sorry I grew my hair back :D.

sasquatch2014
03-23-2010, 21:30
I am sorry to hear you grew your hair back. I still need to see if it is feasible to bring my son first for the miles and second if he doesn't stop being a mouthy little 13 year old pain in the ass he may not live to the dates of the hike.:D

Tinker
03-24-2010, 23:32
I am sorry to hear you grew your hair back. I still need to see if it is feasible to bring my son first for the miles and second if he doesn't stop being a mouthy little 13 year old pain in the ass he may not live to the dates of the hike.:D

I just realized I'll have to be back here by 7:30 pm on Wed. for a church service. This means the second day will have to be short.
I'll make up for it by doing some extra miles the following week. I can hardly wait to put a pack on again.

sasquatch2014
03-25-2010, 18:28
So what do you have for a planned area or stops given your shorter day?

Tinker
03-25-2010, 18:36
Which way do you want to head from Coulter's Gap (or would you like to start at Rte. 23 and head south)? If we head north from Coulter's Gap we should probably try to push to Rutherford Shelter. Do you have any other options in mind?

sasquatch2014
03-26-2010, 11:19
I need to go south to complete sections. I have from Culvers Gap north completed.

Tinker
03-26-2010, 19:10
Recalculating.........................

Tinker
03-28-2010, 15:53
I will not be going due to the expected heavy rain and possible flooding. It's not the trail conditions, really, it's the economics of paying for gas and food to suffer through a few miles of the trail, not being able to take pictures, enjoy views, etc. As a section hiker I reserve the right to take as many zero days as I want. :D
The hike for next week (Mon. and Tues.) is on pending conditions leading to another whiny wimp-out. :p

Tinker
03-30-2010, 09:36
Update: I'll be heading down that way after church on Easter Sunday. Hoping to get together with Sasquatch for some of the hiking. If he can't make it, I'll start from Rte. 23 and head south.