PDA

View Full Version : Are You Afraid of the Dark?

omoucsrevir24
03-17-2010, 06:00
This is probably going to sound pretty ridiculous....

I'm a grown adult...24 year old female. I'm headed out for my first solo hike within the next few week or two. I have some new gear I want to try out, and I want to see what its like to be on the trail without someone with me. I have never been out alone before. I know it's safe and all that. I'm not worried about too much...except that I am terrified of the dark. I KNOW how that sounds...but it really is a legitimate fear. When I walk around my house at night, I turn on every light I pass. I even usually sleep with some kind of light on. Yes, thats right, I'm 24 years old and I'm admitting that I still sleep with a night light!!...anyways...do you think this will pose a problem being out there...in the dark....when its just me, and no light switches? (also, I haven't picked a section to hike yet. I want to leave next week-ish for about 6 days. I know it should be pretty busy around Georgia. I was thinking of heading down there...I'm from Ohio...or maybe going to North Carolina....any suggestions there?)

Hikes in Rain
03-17-2010, 06:27
A terrific little book by Patrick McManus, entitled "Kid Camping from Aaiiii! to Zip!" (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/patrick-f-mcmanus/kid-camping-from-aaaaiii-to-zip.htm) addresses this very thing. Of course, there's nothing about dark itself to be afraid of, it's all the crawly things and monsters that it hides! He mentions knowing big tough woodsmen who weren't afraid of the dark, not at all, but would readily admit it was nice "to just have a little light, heh heh."

His solution was a flashlight and a little candle lantern. The old brass collapsing lanterns are beautiful but heavy. You can now find them in aluminum, which is much lighter, and I think even titanium, which is sexy and will turn your fellow hikers green with envy. They put out a surprising amount of light, and the spring-loaded long burning candles burn from eight to twelve hours. You can even get a folding reflector for the top, giving enough light to read by.

bigcranky
03-17-2010, 07:16
Where: Georgia. Start at Springer. If you need logistical help, call the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, they will take care of you for a reasonable price. Great folks. There will be plenty of hikers on the trail, which is a great thing for a first solo trip.

Darkness: our daughter was afraid of the dark, too, so we locked her in the basement for a month. Er, no, actually we started going out for walks at night when we were on camping vacations. Start with flashlights, but turn them off. Keep walking, listening, looking, let the eyes fully adjust to the dark. It helped a lot.

Yours is a VERY common fear among beginning solo hikers. You'll get over it. Don't worry.

daddytwosticks
03-17-2010, 07:25
It's not the darkness that you should be afraid of...it's what's OUT THERE in the darkness! Only kidding. Every hiker (and human) is fearful of something...confront your fear and have a great hike. :)

Bronk
03-17-2010, 07:29
There are creatures that hide in the bushes waiting to prey on hikers after they fall asleep...

There are bears...coyotes...mountain lions...I even heard one story about a centipede crawling in someone's ear and chewing away their ear drum.

Don't worry about scorpions though...those glow in the dark.

Seriously though, just take some extra batteries and sleep with your headlamp on. Normally it doesn't bother me, but every once in a great while I get spooked and am struck by that irrational fear of: nothing. Happens to most people.

Mrs Baggins
03-17-2010, 07:36
I was terrified of the dark until we started doing overnights. And I was 46. The first time that I had to get up during the deep dark to find the privy I was almost paralyzed with terror but I had to go so I just took it a step at a time. A couple more nights out and I was fine. Now the darker the better when I have the midnight call - especially if there is no privy or it's just too far away and I won't make it. Sometimes I use my headlamp (I just hold it in one hand and shine it down to watch where I'm walking) and sometimes I don't.

I was just remembering how I wouldn't even walk outside of the house to get the paper until the sun was up. Now I go out there well before dawn and I actually enjoy the sounds of the dark.

Hikes in Rain
03-17-2010, 08:00
Candle lantern. (http://candlelantern.com/original.html)

Jonnycat
03-17-2010, 08:36
It's different "out there".

Manwich
03-17-2010, 09:21
Along with being unable to pee with somebody else present in the restroom, it's a psychological hangup that I can't get over, despite being a higher-thinking individual.

Fortunately (YMMV) my treatment of earplugs works wonders. Even though I know there is no "it" out thjere, my theory is: if I can't hear "it," "it" can't kill me.

sbhikes
03-17-2010, 09:34
It's easy to give into irrational fears with light switches everywhere. When you get out there where it's beautiful and peaceful you will adjust. Don't bring a candle lantern or sleep with your headlamp on. Instead, turn off the artificial light and notice how bright the moon is and how beautiful the stars are. Letting go of irrational things like this is part of what the trail is for.

mudhead
03-17-2010, 10:56
You will be amazed at your night vision once you get out of the city. The woods noises will spook you until you put a light on a toad etc. They freeze and hump up. It is a riot. They and other harmless critters sound like Godzilla in the dark.

Go to Walmart, buy 2 headlamps, then you won't have to worry about it.

I have commuted in the city, and it petrifies me.

ASUGrad
03-17-2010, 11:08
It's not that dark in the woods. I know a lot of people who can't sleep because of the ambient light.

ascientist
03-17-2010, 12:28
+1 on the candle lantern

sly dog
03-17-2010, 12:49
To break yourself into it go on a night with a full moon. There have been times that you can actually hike at night just by moonlight itself. Plan your first solo night out according to the moon cycle.

Buzz_Lightfoot
03-17-2010, 12:53
I'm the opposite. I'm photophobic. Light is painful. I also sleep hanging from the rafters in the day time and like to drink... oh, nevermind. :-?

Seriously though, all you need is some experience and the fears will fade.

At first your mind will play tricks on you and multiply every tiny sound into a monster. Over time you may find yourself liking or ever preferring the night. It's so ... quiet. Even when it is not, I find the sounds of katydids and cicadas relaxing and actually look forward to the time when they are out. I will wake up at 2 am sometimes and leave the tent and just lay back and watch the sky. The night can be magical.

Just go do it! Don't let your fears keep you away.

BL

Mags
03-17-2010, 12:59
The first time I slept under the stars, I was a bit on the edge. At that time, I had done the LT, the AT and lots of backpacking in the Whites. Sleeping under the stars? Never.

At 2am (or so) in the morning, I wake up and see these two eyes looking at me perhaps 2 ft away.

I screamed. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRGGGHHH!

The big, bad, bunny wabbit hopped away. :o

You'll be fine. Just enjoy your first trip solo! It will lead to many more equally fun trips!

rcli4
03-17-2010, 13:21
I am afraid of the dark. I am 6'2" 225 lbs. I am afraid of no human. Darkness scares me. I carry a lot of small photon lights. I carry one light that is 3/4 inch around and 4 inches long. I lay it in my tent where I can find it easily if I wake up. One photon hangs from a hook in my tent. I don't often use them but it helps to know they are there. I had trouble at first. Now I have learned to deal. Still uneasy but I can deal.

Clyde

Mountain Wildman
03-17-2010, 13:46
I look at being afraid and worrying in the same way, Neither will change the situation or make things any better.
I worry about nothing and I am afraid of nothing.
Unless there is truly something to be afraid of.
If I am in pitch black darkness and hear no strange noises, I am not afraid, If I hear a noise that I cannot identify I still am not afraid, curious maybe.
If I heard a mountain lion right outside of my tent, Well now that's a different story, I would probably be a little afraid or worried.
So, Basically, Darkness, No big deal. Vicious predators, Yikes!!!!

d.o.c
03-17-2010, 14:08
I did some pretty long solo trips and i must say i to dont like the dark, i found candles in like a lil holder workd till they were gone then i realized on good nights its rather light out so get a few cadles or somthn jus becareful dont burn down the shelter.

10-K
03-17-2010, 15:34
Every time I go hiking it takes me a night or 2 to adjust but after that it's not a problem.

The first few solo hikes I went on I took my candle lantern and let it burn all night. It also makes a great hand warmer and that's about all I use it for now.

GGS2
03-17-2010, 18:17
The woods are silent dark and deep... NOT!

There are lots of noises out there. And it's not always dark. In fact, most nights there is moon light for a good part of the night, and if there is a town nearby, there is often reflected light off the clouds. And even if there is no moon, if the sky is clear, the starry sky makes a background against which you can see the trees. And this early, the green tunnel is not yet in place, so you can probably see the trail much of the night.

It does get dark of course, when the sky is overcast and the moon doesn't shine through, and there aren't any nearby towns to give reflected light. And under a dense canopy of foliage, you can be in moonshadow. People who live in cities or even towns never see a truly dark sky, and only get really dark under trees in parks and in other shadow zones. They tend to avoid such places. People who live in the country on farms often live in the lights of their yards, brightly lit for security against thieves both two and four footed. But some hunt or simply hike or camp in the back forty, or a woodlot, and there they can become used to the subtle dark and light of the back country.

If you are a denizen of the artificially lit zones, you should really look forward to the wonder of the dark sky, and the amazing life of the forest floor in the dark of night. This is something that some of us treasure and mourn when we come to the cities to live. Rather than accepting your fear, you should anticipate a world of wonder and beauty. Don't spend every night with your head under your sleeping bag. Open your eyes and take your courage in both hands and look at the wonder of the heavens and of the earth at night.

mister krabs
03-17-2010, 18:19
Candle lantern. (http://candlelantern.com/original.html)

is it just me, or are they using hockey pucks as their display tiers?

mister krabs
03-17-2010, 18:22
ditto on all the folks who said you're better off with the light off. With the light on, you can only see what's up close, with your eyes adjusted to the dark, you'll be able to see much better and further than you will with a flashlight. Make your first trip with more than half a moon and you'll be shocked at how well you see.

Hikes in Rain
03-17-2010, 18:22
Mine sits on the "trophy shelves" ( the extra space on the bookcases in the library) as a display piece. It's been used, a lot, and it has the scars to prove it. One of the brass models, the use wear just makes it that much more beautiful as a display piece. When I winter camp, and the days are short, it gets pressed into service again, but for now, it's honorably retired.

Doctari
03-17-2010, 18:35
http://www.glowrus.com/?gclid=CMi3ovvpwKACFQnxDAodIjD1VA

http://www.1000bulbs.com/Safety-Light-Sticks/?gclid=CMnYps3qwKACFVdM5wodvTyYTQ

Google Cyalume for more.

The Cyalume sticks have models that glow from 30 minutes to 12 hrs or more & are pretty light weight. Depending on what you sleep in; Tent, tarp, shelter, igloo. It should be easy to find a place to hang one near by as a temporary fix.. But as others have said, after a few nights in the woods most of these fears will pass.

sbhikes
03-17-2010, 20:11
It's not that dark in the woods. I know a lot of people who can't sleep because of the ambient light.
I'm one of them. The dang moon is so bright sometimes. There's a good chunk of the month I have to sleep with my head under my quilt.

mr. dribbles
03-17-2010, 21:10
From the responses you can tell that it is a common problem. Everyone makes peace with it in their own way. On my last solo hike, I was sure a large predator was in my camp. Turned out to be a porcupine shuffling along under may hammock.

I made peace with the darkness after that-- the stuff you hear is usually harmless, like the rabbit, or chipmunk. You probably wouldn't hear the predators anyway, and they're likely to leave you alone. So, put in your earplugs and enjoy the fresh air. Look forward to coffee under the cathedral of the trees in the morning.

Graywolf
03-18-2010, 03:28
I have nightmares..Yes, I wake up screaming in the night..Then I have fear of the dark, just for a bit, till the 'mare runs off..

I see alot of talk of candle lanterns and those too scare me..Afraid I will knock one over and the tent catches on fire..So here is my alternative..They now put out little battery operated lights..Many different ones that run off a little camera ot watch battery..Check these out..I saw some at Walmart but didnt think about using them until recently..And they come in different colors as to not be too bright..

The other thing, I agree very strongly with the other posters here who spoke of leave the light at home and enjoy the dark..You will be surprised..First time I hiked a lone, which was many moons ago, I was scarred on my first night out..Then I found I really enjoyed being out. Now I enjoy setting out in the dark in camp or at a over look and enjoy the night life..It really is enjoyable. Once you do that, your hike will be much more exciting..

Bronk
03-18-2010, 05:00
At 2am (or so) in the morning, I wake up and see these two eyes looking at me perhaps 2 ft away.

Even with all the other undesireable aspects of sleeping in shelters, what finally broke me of it was waking up in the middle of the night and having a mouse 2 inches from my face. I screamed.

omoucsrevir24
03-18-2010, 09:46
these are all great responses! I'll have some light with me, I have a headlamp and now I'm looking into a lantern, but I'm mostly looking forward to facing my fears and getting out there to be "alone". Thanks!

skinny minnie
03-18-2010, 11:02
The ear plugs are an excellent suggestion. I find it's the "things that go bump in the night" fear that gets me the most... even though the odds of it being an actual predator out to get me are slim to none. Good luck!

Marta
03-18-2010, 12:19
1) Don't watch scary movies

2) Don't read scary books

3) Remember that real life is not like either of the above

4) Set up camp in a safe place, i.e., not near a road crossing or whatever; stealthing is good

5) Tell yourself firmly, over and over, that the dangers are in your mind but are not real

6) Take Tylenol or Advil PM and get a good night's sleep

7) Wake up in the morning and know that you have just proved that you were safe sleeping in the dark in the woods

Repeat the above many times and the fear will leave you. It worked for me, anyway. I sleep much better in my tent now than I do in the city.

David@whiteblaze
03-18-2010, 14:41
Sleep in shelters with other hikers because they will protect you from anything in the woods, just make sure to forget that they think the same of you....

double d
03-18-2010, 17:10
As others have said (and of course the killer rabbit that almost ended Mags), every night you spend in the bush you will enjoy it more. My only advice is to make sure that your keep your tent clean of food, tooth paste and do what you normally do before going to sleep. Me, I have a hard time the first night or two out in the bush because I like to read before sleeping, but I don't do that in the woods because of the extra weight of a book, so I listen to mother nature say hello to me.

aframe
03-18-2010, 17:11
Not ridiculous at all- I was terrified of the dark before my thru-hike, and still am. I'm scared of a lot of other things in the woods/on the trail, actually. Bees, trees that look like monsters, actual monsters, spiders, cows... you name it, I'm probably scared of it.

Unlike a lot of people on here, I don't use earplugs. They just make me imagine the noises I might hear if I wasn't wearing them, and the noises I imagine are way scarier than real ones. And to be honest, if someone or something is coming up to my tent, I want to hear it.

It's been said, but try not to use your headlamp. There's almost always enough light to see everything you need to see. When the headlamp's on, you can only see what's in the light, and when you turn it off you won't be able to see anything for a while.

Also, get out of the habit of using the privy when you have to pee in the middle of the night. It's bad for the privy, and you're walking through the dark to a creepy, smelly, even darker little shed full of spiders. It just doesn't make sense. Learn to pee close(ish) to your tent or even the shelter. As long as you're not on top of a water source, there's no reason to head too far into the woods.

Once you have that down- and this is going to sound pretty weird- if you're still freaked out, try backing your way back to your tent instead of turning around. It's like the basement effect- I'm fine when I'm doing something in my basement, but as soon as I turn around to head upstairs I panic and can't get out of there fast enough. The same thing happens when I'm sleeping in the woods- when I go out to pee in the night, I'm fine, but when I turn around to go back to my tent I freak right out. So now I back my way in and eliminate that moment of blind panic.

Like a lot of people have said, you'll get used to it. There will always be moments of fear, but you'll get over them more and more quickly. You might be scared silly the first night or two but after a few nights your body will learn to roll over and sleep through it (or at least fall back asleep more quickly). And it might not be the same for you, but I found that the dark was a lot less scary in the woods than it is in my apartment.

Have fun!

Tinker
03-18-2010, 20:33
An efficient LED light is more cost (and weight) effective than candles, safer, too.

I won't downplay your fear, but it may diminish with time away from "civilization".

elray
03-18-2010, 21:40
Nighttime in Viet Nam was very terrifying and I thought I would never get back to normal once I got home, it took several years. Always remember that "you" are the most dangerous animal out there and you'll be just fine.

Ronnwell
03-18-2010, 23:07
Hmm, if you have problems with the dark in your own house, the woods might be a little intimidating. Going from civilization to the woods can definitely be an adjustment for some people; it definitely is for me. It usually takes me a night or two before I settle in and can relax some. Your fear isn't irrational at all though. Be patient with yourself and remember that its all part of the process of gaining confidence in your skillz. Have fun on your trip!

prain4u
03-18-2010, 23:42
Some possible ideas:

1. ONE way to get acclimated to the dark is to start out slow. a) Stay at a shelter WITH other people. We often feel safer when others are present. b) Next try a tent (or hammock) VERY NEAR a shelter. c) Then, graduate to a tent (or hammock) farther away from the shelter. d) Finally, stay in a tent (or hammock) no where near a shelter.

2. I carry a small AM/FM radio that has a long battery life. It also has "ear buds". When I am afraid of the dark, I put the ear buds in. I turn the radio to a nice radio station (or to static/ "white noise"). It blocks out much of the outside noise (often better than earplugs). I then fall asleep like that. A good radio station also distracts my mind from thinking about what I IMAGINE might be lurking in the dark.

3. Worst case scenario, I combine # 2 (above) with 50 mg of Benadryl allergy medication taken 30-60 minutes before my anticipated bedtime. I then fall to sleep pretty quickly and generally sleep pretty soundly until morning light.

REMEMBER: If you can't hear the monsters--they don't exist. If you are groggy from Benadryl you also don't care if they attack. :D

The chances that you will be attacked by something (either 2 legged or 4 legged) on the AT are slim to none. That is a fact. Being smart regarding where you camp and how you store your food reduce the chances of having a problem even further. Most of the fears exist only in our own minds--and those fears are amplified by the darkness and by the "strange" sounds.

The three suggestions (listed above) distract the mind and reduce the amount of time spent thinking about the dark. The radio also shuts out most of the noises that cause our minds to think too much.

Eventually, you can reduce your dependence on such gimmicks and just enjoy the dark. There is NOTHING better than a moonlit nighttime hike in the middle of a snowy winter (unless you are also using snow shoes or cross country skis!).

omoucsrevir24
03-18-2010, 23:54
I've been lurking on whiteblaze for awhile. This is my first real attempt at asking for advice on anything here. I'm thrilled with the response. Its nice to know that other people have dealt with the same issue, and learn how to adjust and be able to enjoy my time out there. I'm really looking forward to getting to that first night and seeing how I react and what it feels like. I already feel like I dont have to be so worried anymore, and just allow myself the time I need to topple this fear. I know taking a solo trip is going to help me in a million different ways, and this is just one I'm anticipating. I already have earplugs, but havent used them. I'm hoping to be able to listen to the sounds, and enjoy the surroundings. Thats why I hike in the first place. I want to ENJOY being out there. It just seems harder in the dark, especially thinking about doing it alone. Im hoping to be able to enjoy the trail at night, as much as I do during the day.
This is also my first time hammocking! I've always used a tent, and gone out with my dad. So it will be a trip of many firsts, and I cant wait. Still not sure where I'm headed yet, but no matter where I end up, I'm sure its going to be just what I need!

will1972
03-19-2010, 00:11
Georgia, I was out on the approach trail to Springer 2 weeks ago BEAUTIFUL! And now it's getting warmer....... Supposed to be around 70 around there tomorrow. Come on down and get on the trail.

omoucsrevir24
03-19-2010, 00:27
I was leaning towards Georgia. Sounds wonderful. I was planning on parking my car, hiking out for 3 days, then flipping around and hiking back to the car. Now I'm thinking a shuttle might be more fun. Park, shuttle down somewhere, and hike back to the car. But I dont know how many miles I'll be making, since it's been quite a long time since I've been able to get out. Any suggestions? (also...never used a shuttle....not sure how they work...how far will they take you, etc...)

jesse
03-19-2010, 00:39
I don't think its safe for females to hike alone. Now if you go to Georgia in the Spring, you will be with the crowd, that is not hiking alone. If you are going on a secluded trail, bring a friend.

will1972
03-19-2010, 00:59
There are plenty of options for shuttle services. The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. .Or farther up the AT to Hiawassee you could check with Ron Haven. Plenty of links right here on WB. And there will be a lot of folks out on the trail to maybe give you some comfort with the dark problem too

Marta
03-19-2010, 06:58
I don't think its safe for females to hike alone. Now if you go to Georgia in the Spring, you will be with the crowd, that is not hiking alone. If you are going on a secluded trail, bring a friend.

There are several other threads discussing this issue. Suffice it to say here that I do not agree with him.

left turn
03-19-2010, 08:59
well going out by your self will for sure either help over come your fear of the dark or well you know .......just scare you even more:eek: but i think you will be fine.

TIDE-HSV
03-19-2010, 23:55
I handle the dark pretty well. My parents made me do chores in the dark to desensitize me (feeding chicks in the incubator in the dark barn, etc.). I didn't realize until years later that was what they were doing. However, those unexplained loud noises can unnerve me. I guess one reason is that, a few times, I didn't like the explanation I found the next morning...

David S.
03-20-2010, 02:02
I've always been somewhat scared of the dark. It kind of comes and goes for no good reason. It's not something that I let stop me from enjoying the trail though.

I've come up with some ways I deal with the dark. First, I turn the situation around. I tell myself as I am walking through the dark that the darkness itself is protecting me from being seen by the scary things. In addition I secretly pretend that I am a ninja or a secret opps person and the darkness is where I feel at home...my domain; nothing had better mess with me if it wishes to live another day. Think of turning on your light in your tent as giving your position away to the enemy. Lol. Seriously, this works for me.

Pretty soon, the darkness will be seen as a friend and a beautiful part of the outdoor experience.

One thing I do like to do is wrap my headlamp band twice loosely around my wrist while I sleep. It's comforting to know its right there without having to reach somewhere for it.

elmotoots
03-20-2010, 06:06
I have never been afraid of the dark, But I have been startled in the dark by something like a limb/twig falling out of a tree onto my tent at night, sliding down the tent making a scraping noise.

Prepare yourself for some weird noises while sleeping in the woods, because you will hear some. But the fact you are willling to go out and try it tells me, that you will be able to turn your fear into a healthy concern and do just fine with it.

Most people who are afraid of something, would never even attempt to do it. So if you are willing to go out and try it. You are way ahead of most people.

Elmo

Jonnycat
03-20-2010, 16:57

It's usually light enough, even during the new moon, to see where you going when you leave the tent during the night.

Unless it is clouded over, which happened to me last year. Pitch dark, couldn't see *anything*, had to feel my way back to the tent.

It was funny.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-20-2010, 17:08
take your mp3 player and listen to it at nite you will get use to sleeping in the woods in a few days also you may want to try taking melatonin about three tabs and a couple of benadryl when you get in your sleeping bag it will help you sleep