PDA

View Full Version : Lightest Tarp/bivy combo

butts0989
03-17-2010, 11:05
Hey guys im looking for some advice on the lightest tarp/bivy combo. I currently use a tarptent contrail with a WM summerlite and a Polycro ground cloth. Im looking at the MLD solo pro tarp and the equinox bivy, any advice?

leaftye
03-17-2010, 11:36
Zpacks makes lighter tarps that can be made even lighter with different guy lines.

butts0989
03-17-2010, 12:17
aw great man thanks ive been waiting for joes new stuff to come out, i guess i wasnt paying very close attention

bigcranky
03-17-2010, 12:24
That zpack cuben shaped tarp is pretty sweet. Not sure about the lightest bivy, but you can probably make one with a cuben bottom and Momentum 90 top that would come in at 5-6 ounces.

butts0989
03-17-2010, 12:34
funny you say that thats exactly what ive been considering doing or a while now, im just not sure about my sewing capabilities.

Snowleopard
03-17-2010, 12:35
The lightest tarps are smallest. From my reading, it takes experience in setting up and using these small tarps for them to be safe shelters in bad conditions. The MLD cuben solo pro tarp has a width from 48" to 56", which is pretty narrow. The question is, do you have the experience to safely use this in bad conditions? I know I don't yet. You could play with cheap plastic tarps (blue poly tarps or painters drop cloths) in your back yard whenever there's a storm and see how you do with different sizes.

I don't see what the top of the equinox bivy is made of. You want fabric with a really good DWR that is very breathable (i.e., not goretex) -- breathable and water repellent. The Momentum MLD uses is very good, some Pertex fabrics are very good.

butts0989
03-17-2010, 12:42
i currently use a sil nylon tarp a friend made for me that is 5X8, but im willing to cut down. the bivy i have right now weighs a little over a pound. Because of this ive found it more efficient to just use my contrail, which i do love, but im looking for something a bit lighter, trying to get my full shelter set up under 10oz. Im going to be ordering the taffeta zpacks blast when it comes out and im most likely going to get the 26, so i need some smaller gear, so im starting with a shelter. Oh and to answer you're question ya i would consider myself pretty skilled with a tarp, been doing it for about 3 years now, so im pretty willing to cut size

leaftye
03-17-2010, 12:43
aw great man thanks ive been waiting for joes new stuff to come out, i guess i wasnt paying very close attention

Just keep in mind that he has a looong lead time right now. I'm sure it's worth it though. I wanted a Hexamid, and fortunately I found a new used one, otherwise I probably wouldn't have one when I start my thru hike next week.

butts0989
03-17-2010, 12:54
ya you got pretty lucky on that one, i would want one but ive just decided to go the tarp route.

Snowleopard
03-17-2010, 13:46
OK butts, you're experienced; some people who ask like this aren't.
If you want a flat tarp, you could just use a single 54" width of the cuben fabric available at http://questoutfitters.com/coated.html#CUBEN (the 0.48 is per sail yards not 36" and is actually about 0.7 oz/sq yard
Loops and reinforcements for attaching guys can be glued on to the flat piece of cuben.
If you want a catenary cut, it becomes more complicated, but doable. I'm sure MLD and others sell a better engineered tarp, but they're pricey.

butts0989
03-17-2010, 18:23
ya i really trust the way that mld bonds their cuben together and dont think i could do the same job, ron has been working with cuben for like 5 years now so my trust is with them. im not sure of the quality of valesko's cuben tarps and am kind of hesitant to see what they would be like. can anyone give me some feedback on the quality of their hexamid or their cuben tarp from zpacks?

stranger
03-18-2010, 02:12
Mountain Laurel Designs makes the Spinnaker Grace Solo at around 7ounces and the Superlight Bivy at 7ounces as well - that's a nice sized tarp and decent bivy for 14 ounces.

Will probably run you over $300 though

leaftye
03-18-2010, 02:37
im not sure of the quality of valesko's cuben tarps and am kind of hesitant to see what they would be like. can anyone give me some feedback on the quality of their hexamid or their cuben tarp from zpacks?

Quality or durability. If it's the latter you're after, your best bet may be to follow my trail journal as my Hexamid is coming with me on my thru-hike. I start in a week. Unfortunately I don't really have a good way to come here and update, but I can email journal updates to Postholer.

butts0989
03-18-2010, 14:49
ya im not that worried about durability, i mean because of my current financial status i tend to baby everything i have, but i am looking for quality. i know that if cuben is not bonded or sewn right it has a big chance at failing at the seams. i will follow your journal though, im really interested to see how the hexamid does. Joe obviously loves it because he made it but im wondering what the long term opinions of other people will be.

Ewker
03-18-2010, 15:21
while it isn't a bivy I do like this setup.

tarp

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Spinn-Twinn.html

bug net tent

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=120

leaftye
03-18-2010, 16:45
I'm still in the very early stages of learning how to baby my lightweight gear, which makes it quite a risk for me to have chosen a cuben fiber shelter and quilt. I'm still snagging the door every time I enter & exit the Hexamid, so it'll be very interesting to see how things go.

butts0989
03-18-2010, 16:50
ive heard a lot of mixed views on the mesh floor, do you like it? also what kind of ground tarp are you using for it. i have a polycro ground sheet from GG that i think would work well.

Rambler
03-18-2010, 17:19
The GG SpinnTwinn is close to the MLD Solo Grace. The Spinn Twin has more side tie-outs and I like the way the front extends outward. It is really nice having the extra room with these so-called two person shelters. A nice option is to make or find a beak extension or cover for the big open end for wind and rain protection. If the door ends of your tarp face into the wind the tarp becomes a wind tunnel. The Granite Gear White Lightning has an end section option.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/570850898upjTCe

Owareusa can make a tarp to your spec, ie. an 8x6.

My favorite shelter is now the SMD Wild Oasis. With one pole, it is a quick set up and can be changed around easily if the wind shifts. It has bug protection and plenty of room for gear.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2519448020045831896FVfORG

Another nice small tarp with beaks (a Ray Jardin design) is the Golite Cave 1 which is not made any more, but can be found with a google.

With the exception of the MLD Solo Grace I have used all of the above shelters along the AT. All are excellent.

I have used the MLD TrailStar, too. It is a spacious shelter for two!

leaftye
03-18-2010, 20:29
ive heard a lot of mixed views on the mesh floor, do you like it? also what kind of ground tarp are you using for it. i have a polycro ground sheet from GG that i think would work well.

I think the mesh floor is fine so far. I've only used it with a ground cloth beneath the mesh, although Joe said he only used his with the ground cloth above the mesh. I'll actually use two ground cloths if it rains. Right now I'm using a crazy thick and heavy 6 mil sheet for the sheet that's directly on the ground. I had been using a 1.2 or 2 mil sheet, but I was getting all kinds of holes and tears in it on my training hike. That's almost certainly because I'm being sloppy about picking and preparing campsites. When those skills improve, I'll switch to the GG polycro sheets, which I already have, and the 6 mil sheet will go in the trash.

Tinker
03-18-2010, 20:37
Hey guys im looking for some advice on the lightest tarp/bivy combo. I currently use a tarptent contrail with a WM summerlite and a Polycro ground cloth. Im looking at the MLD solo pro tarp and the equinox bivy, any advice?

Advice - get a tarp that's at least 10 feet long if it's going to be narrow. You'll need that space to crawl in and take off your wet clothes without getting your sleeping gear wet. Better yet, get a wider, tapered tarp with a beak. A zippered beak will allow you to enter without crawling on your belly. I found such a tarp online, but it's silnylon, not something lighter.

Tinker
03-18-2010, 20:38
Here: http://www.alpinlitegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=36