PDA

View Full Version : Campsites in PA from Caledonia to Boiling Springs

msujay
03-17-2010, 11:22
I'm planning a 2 1/2 day hike from US. 30 at Caledonia State Park to Boiling Springs and wondered if there were any good campsites along the way. Any recommendations?

ki0eh
03-17-2010, 12:39
There is a nice charcoal flat often used for a campsite just Trail-south of Alex Kennedy Shelter, across a stream. It's better to tent there than up the side trail to the shelter.

At James Fry/Tagg Run there are some sites between the shelter and the spring. I think there's a site about 1/2 mile Trail-south of the turnoff for the shelter/spring too.

msujay
03-21-2010, 09:12
Thanks ki0eh. My plan at this point is to step off around 2pm and hike to Birch Run Shelters (10 miles) the first night. For the second night, I'm trying to find out if there are any known or stealth sites between say the side trail to Pole Steeple and Tagg Run Shelter. It would be a 17.1 mile day to make it to Tagg Run and my preference is to do 14-15 miles +/-. Are there any tentsites on Pole Steeple? I hike out to Boiling Springs on my third and final day, then drive home and rinse and repeat for my next section.

ki0eh
03-22-2010, 13:51
I remember a saddle about 1/2 way down the long hill coming NB down from the Pole Steeple side trail, where there were a couple of pits (my guess is iron ore pits from the old days) that seemes to be used as a sometime dry campsite, but not a high use spot. That would be about 2 miles short of Tagg Run.

That's all State Forest (not Game) Land so should be no official hassle on picking a spot, as long as you're away from a drivable road.

msujay
03-22-2010, 17:30
Thanks again for your help!