PDA

View Full Version : What part of the AT do you like the most

Plodderman
03-17-2010, 13:57
As of right now I like the Grayson Highlands the most and the Smokies second. What part of the trail is your favorite?

Cookerhiker
03-17-2010, 14:06
If hiking in late summer & early fall: Maine
If hiking in mid-spring: NC/TN - Hot Springs to Damascus
If hiking in mid-autumn: Almost anywhere!

Grampie
03-17-2010, 14:08
katahdin is my favorite.

Hikes in Rain
03-17-2010, 14:12
The part where I'm going to do the next section hike.

Of the parts done, I had a wonderful time going from Unicoi to Winding Stair in Georgia. The Smokies was terrific, too.

ASUGrad
03-18-2010, 09:46
Mt Rogers to MacAfee's Knob. There is just so much fun in between. Burke's Garden. Dismal Falls. Sugar Run. Angels Rest. Pearisburg. Rice Fields.

d.o.c
03-18-2010, 09:49
VA as a whole is where its at, it holds just about every type of obsticle the trail throws at ya and u got tons of awsome views.

Blue Jay
03-18-2010, 09:57
The part my feet are standing on.

Skyline
03-18-2010, 11:05
1) Dickey Gap or Massie Gap SOBO to Damascus via the AT and VA Creeper Trail. A special section with something for every taste anytime of year, but always be prepared for a bad turn in the weather in the High Country. Winter can be especially brutal. This is a favorite place of mine to hike into Trail Days in May.

2) The AT in Shenandoah NP, combined with three or four side trail loops that lead to waterfalls, historic sites, streams to camp by, etc. A bunch of these leave and then rejoin the AT further north; NOBO is the better way to go in SNP as it involves somewhat less ascending and the parking options in the north are better. The AT is said to be easy in SNP—true for thru-hikers, but many others find it not quite so; add the side trails and it is a challenge well worth the effort.

3) Amicolola or Springer to Franklin via the AT. Much of Georgia is relatively easy IMHO if you're in decent shape; but even if you're not by the time you make it to the GA/NC border you could be in shape to tackle the more difficult NC terrain. It's fun to hike with a new class of NOBOs, but shelter space and nearby tentsites will likely be overused; I prefer to camp away from them during prime time. A good alternative is to hike this section in the Fall so long as it's not a drought year.

4) North Adams MA to Rt. 4 in Vermont. Challenging, but real mountains with well maintained trails. Best done after mud season. Of the three northernmost states, I like Vermont the best. Possibly sacrilege to Mainers, but HYOH.

Terry7
03-18-2010, 17:01
Level trail, I always thank the Lord for anytime the trail is level. lol

Cookerhiker
03-18-2010, 18:05
Level trail, I always thank the Lord for anytime the trail is level. lol

So you like:

The southernmost 2 miles in MD along the C&O Canal
Cumberland Valley, PA
Along the Housatonic in CT outside Kent
Parts of the 100 Mile Wilderness in ME
And of course, all of Virginia. We know Virginia's flat!:rolleyes:

Graywolf
03-18-2010, 18:15
The Georgia section is the only part I have hiked so I have to say Georgia..But to be honest in fair, ever since researching the AT from 1986, I LOVE EVERY INCH OF THIS FABULOUS TRAIL!!!

Just cant wait to actually thru-hike it..

Chaco Taco
03-18-2010, 18:18
The Georgia section is the only part I have hiked so I have to say Georgia..But to be honest in fair, ever since researching the AT from 1986, I LOVE EVERY INCH OF THIS FABULOUS TRAIL!!!

Just cant wait to actually thru-hike it..

Wait til you get to New Hampshire!

10-K
03-18-2010, 18:49
I have lots of "favorite parts" but my best hike in terms of everything being just right was hiking SOBO from Atkins to Damascus. Fun in the beginning, fun in the middle and fun at the end.

trailangelbronco
03-18-2010, 19:08
From the parts that I have sectioned, New Hampshire is my Favorite. I love the Whites.

mtnkngxt
03-18-2010, 22:57
Grayson hands down. I'm pretty much a local though, so I'm biased.

Ramble~On
03-19-2010, 05:12
:-? I'm partial to the section between Springer and Katahdin!

Mrs Baggins
03-19-2010, 07:23
I'd have to say all of it just because it is the AT - but from what I've actually done I'd say so far the Smokies were the most beautiful section and not all that difficult. But I also agree with Terry7 - - I am happiest looking a long stretch of level trail! :)

GrubbyJohn
03-19-2010, 07:34
The part my feet are standing on.
AMEN. Only done a couple of sections. But every step was great.

left turn
03-19-2010, 08:14
Rhone is my favorite except in the winter time, and Graysons is my second fav.

i am actually trying to decide which hike to do coming up Rhone or Grayson still undecided both places are awesome.:banana