PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hike

cavu
10-06-2004, 01:01
Hey there everyone...I am pondering a hike through Maine from border to Katahdin (which I will most likely not climb due to weather or temp). I plan on going this month before hunting season.

Any estimates on a realistic time frame that would be required to hike this for an intermediate hiker. Also, a realistic mile per day/hour would be helpful from experienced AT'ers.

Thanks, take care.

John

Lone Wolf
10-06-2004, 01:15
A solid 3 weeks or more. 10-12 miles per day with no days off.

A-Train
10-06-2004, 01:31
Wolfs pretty right. Took me 19 days to get thru Maine in very good shape (after 1900 miles). That included short days like 8 into Andover, 7 into Stratton, 4 into Caratunk (to go to a doctor) and 5 to hike Katahdin. In short, it coulda been done a lot quicker. I was mainly hiking 17-22 mile days thru maine. I would say you'd wanna give yourself more time not being in good hiking shape. Also with the time of year your starting, you're bound to hit some foul weather than may call for taking a zero in a shelter or holing up in a town for a day or two. You most likely will hit some snow at the higher elevations. Just be prepared and it should be a great hike. Super foliage and you may run into some lagging thru's. I'd start with a goal of 8-10 miles if starting at the border, or 10-12 miles if going south. You'll steadily build up in either direction you go in. MPH will vary between 1mph in the Mahoosuc Notch to 3 mph in many spots, particularly the northern end of the 100 mile wilderness and the section between Caratunk and Monson. Lots of easy tread among the tough climbs Maine is known for . Have a blast

Peaks
10-06-2004, 08:31
The Maine AT Guide has a map summary. It includes a range of hiking times for various sections, and the whole AT in Maine. For the whole 281 miles, their estimate is 23 to 31 days. Most thru-hikers do it in about 3 weeks. Your hiking time may vary.

Jack Tarlin
10-06-2004, 13:48
I agree with what everyone else has said.

One addition: Unless you are in unusually good shape, you might want to add a few days to everyone's estimate; the figures they're giving apply to hikers who in all likelihood passed thru Maine in August or September.

It's going to be tougher and colder to go at this time of year; you'll have a greater chance of bad weather that may cause abbreviated days or may force you to take unplanned days off. Also, days are getting shorter now; you hiking days will also be shorter. You'll also be carrying extra pack weight
(extra clothes mostly), and perhaps extra food as well.

One possible advantage is that you'll be able to stay in a shelter whenever you want, meaning less chance of having to pack wet gear, or getting your stuff soaked. Plus, it's generally easier to pack up and get going out of a shelter, especially an empty one.

All things considered, I'd give yourself 23-29 days. Have a great trip.