PDA

View Full Version : Campsites

Rcarver
03-17-2010, 15:02
Anyone know of good campsites between Walnut Mountain shelter and Deer Park Mountain shelter?

Slo-go'en
03-17-2010, 15:14
Is that going north? If so, we found a nice spot a mile or so north of Walnut, place where 4-wheeler road comes out. (weekends might be iffy in the summer). Found sort of a piped spring down to the left (facing north) down the road a short distance.

Between the bears, the run down Walnut Mt shelter and the 3 kid who looked like meth addicts who showed up, (but actually seemed like nice enough kids once you got past thier looks and talked to them a bit) no way were going to stay there!

Highstepper
03-17-2010, 21:05
About 5.5 miles north of Walnut Mtn shelter, 4 miles south of Deer Park shelter is a great spot where two old road beds converge. Water to the left (nobo). Plenty of fairly level tenting area.

stranger
03-18-2010, 02:46
There is a nice spot about a mile before Walnut Mountain Shelter heading nobo, it's on the left as you start climbing, just across a creek. Spots for a couple tents, fire ring.

After Walnut, again heading nobo, there are numerous spots for tenting over the next 3 miles as your head towards Hot Springs but not sure about water.

The bears are an issue in this area, but if you know how to hang food you shouldn't have a problem. Remember, the branch needs to be small enough that the bear can't walk on it, but large enough so the bear can't tear it off the damn tree!

In 2008 I camped up behind the shelter and had no problems, but people on both sides of us had their food stolen, the next morning as I hiked north I saw two hikers with food scattered all over the trail, one food bag was still attached to the branch...the branch was lying on the ground!

Slo-go'en
03-18-2010, 10:47
About 5.5 miles north of Walnut Mtn shelter, 4 miles south of Deer Park shelter is a great spot where two old road beds converge. Water to the left (nobo). Plenty of fairly level tenting area.

That must have been the spot we stopped at, didn't think it was that far. Been a couple of years..