PDA

View Full Version : Montbell changes sleeping bag line-up.

East Coast Alex
03-17-2010, 16:00
Hello, I'm Alex, and I am new to the forum. I have a random comment/question.

I was all set to purchase a Montbell U.L. (ultralight) Super Stretch Down 800 model, but noticed that just within the last day or two, they seemed to have removed all the Super Stretch models from their site (unless it was just a temporary glitch while updating their site).

Anyway, so I was looking at what they have now, and it seems they are replacing their "U.L. Down Spiral" model with the "U.L. Super Spiral" model. I'm pretty sure they just did that this year.

Are there any Montbell enthusiasts here who know what the difference is, in terms of improvement?

Their "Super Spiral" model simply seems to be not only be:

(1) a few ounces heavier,

(2) but it now packs just a little bit larger also, for each respective temperature rating, and on top of that,

(3) It's a FULL $100 more than the U.L. Spiral model.

How exactly is that an improvement?

Well one possible improvement is that I noticed that the Super Spiral now can accommodate people who are 6 foot tall, whereas the previous Spiral model only accommodated people who were 5'10", and some people complained about that, I suppose that is one improvement. It also would explain a little bit of extra weight and packing size, but arguably not as much as the new model has, because it seemed to get roughly 5 ounces heavier (for the 15 degree model).

Also, the new U.L. Super Spiral model seems to look quite a bit different than the U.L. Spiral model, though. It looks like they made some kind of significant change beyond making the bag just slightly larger to accommodate a 6 foot person. Anyone know what the difference is? The website, so far as I can tell, really does not explain this clearly. Its just your usual marketing jazz which is semi-useless.

I was speculating that since the U.L. Super Stretch model is no longer on their site, that maybe the new U.L. Super Spiral model is actually some kind of hybrid between the old U.L. Spiral model, and the U.L. Super Stretch model, such that it gives the old spiral model the stretchiness of the now (possibly) defunct U.L. Super Stretch line.

So I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the U.L. Spiral and the U.L. Super Spiral beyond the fact that the new model is simply heavier, larger and $100 more on top of it all, aside from being suitable for a 6 foot person now).

Any insights you may have, much appreciated. Thanks.

Rick500
03-17-2010, 16:02
Not sure about any changes they may have made, but you can probably still find the UL SS bags online at REI, Altrec, Backcountry, etc.

sobonole
03-17-2010, 16:40
http://www.prolitegear.com/site/xdpy/ssg/Sleep%20Systems/Sleeping%20Bags.html?criteria=montbell

They are having a Mont-Bell sale, so might could get a good bag for a little less. I just ordered one of their Super Stretch 800 bags.

The company is updating/expanding their spiral line, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

rp1790
03-17-2010, 16:43
Hmm, they seem to have done away with the 25 degree bag as well. Which, for me, was the sweet spot. I have a synthetic Montbell 15 deg bag and it's too hot for anything other than the coldest of conditions.

sobonole
03-17-2010, 16:43
Actually they no longer have many of the Super Stretch bags available any longer. Sorry for that mis-info.

Egads
03-17-2010, 17:00
Not sure about any changes they may have made, but you can probably still find the UL SS bags online at REI, Altrec, Backcountry, etc.

Your REI must be different than mine; my REI doesn't carry MB bags

Rick500
03-17-2010, 17:13
Just throwing those out as examples of where to check.

East Coast Alex
03-17-2010, 18:12
Pardon my newbishness for asking what is probably a common, if not also highly subjective question, but is there any kind of general consensus on what an appropriate temperature range is for a bag used on a through-hike on either the Appachian Trail or Continental Divide Trail?

(Obviously depends on what months you start in, but I'll just assume an "average" value, since I don't have a start date in mind just yet).

I've never done a through hike, and this is on my list of "things to do" real, real soon... so I am not quite sure what is appropriate.

Thusfar, I have only logged a few hundred miles in New Hampshire (mainly the Whites region) and managed to get by with a 40 degree bag for most of the three seasons. My current 40 degree Fahrenheit bag doesn't seem real safe to me for a through-hike, I don't know. I'm thinking a 15 or 30 Fahrenheit bag might give me more safety leeway?? Either way, I plan to replace the old bag because it's too heavy and not appropriate because I plan to trail run a fair part of the AT.

I was figuring I could stick one of the following bag liners into the aforementioned bag:

Sea to Summit (Reactor Plus Thermolite Liner) (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/91), providing an alleged 20 degree temp boost to your bags nominal rating.

Sea to Summit (Reactor Extreme Thermolite Liner) (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/90), providing an alleged 25 degree temp boost to your bags nominal rating.

... that way I could get a little extra warmth if needed, or possibly just switch to using the liner alone, without the bag, when it gets to the warmer months. At 9 ounces, and packing down to 3 x 5 inches, seems like a reasonable weight and space sacrifice, but I don't know if most guys even bother with these bag liner things. Obviously it would keep your bag clean... but I don't know if they really give a temperature boost, as claimed.

buz
03-18-2010, 12:08
EC,

For your first post, I think the super spiral replaces the super stretch model more closely, and they have the regular spiral as well. Look closely at the sizes of the bag listed, and I think you can see the SSpiral has more stretch in it then the regular spiral. And you are correct on sizing, they changed to accomodate 6' people in the regular length, but maybe not on the regular spiral, note carefully.

I would invest a call to them if you want clarification. Also, as noted, if you want the ULSS bags, search for them, they are available.

I have the ULSS #2 800 fp, great bag, long fits me, a 6' even person, perfectly, length wise.

Regarding your last post, if you are thinking liners, I would advise practice sleeping in one, in your bag. Safety pin up a single bed top sheet into the size of the liner, and try and sleep in it. I can't use them, get way too tangly. I use silk jammies, but you may like liner. Also, IMO using a liner for heat is just not very effective. Spend the $$$$ buy a great quality bag, you will love it. Temp wise, sucks to be cold, I would vote for the 15 degree one, if u are fall/early spring camping at all in your future. You can always unzip and quilt the bag, but getting warmer on a cold night is very unfun. Good luck.

medicjimr
03-18-2010, 12:27
Well I am glad I got he 25 SS hugger when I did ya it's the 650 down but never the less.

WalkSoftly33
03-18-2010, 13:34
Prolite Gear seems to have the best prices on the SuperStretch. I picked up the #2 for $260.

They do not have all models and do not have many instock but you could find a deal there.

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/search_engine.html?show_all=1&brand=Montbell&prod_section=Sleep%20Systems&prod_group=Sleeping%20Bags

The *25 does seem to be the sweet spot.

10-K
03-18-2010, 15:13
EC,

Regarding your last post, if you are thinking liners, I would advise practice sleeping in one, in your bag. Safety pin up a single bed top sheet into the size of the liner, and try and sleep in it. I can't use them, get way too tangly. I use silk jammies, but you may like liner. Also, IMO using a liner for heat is just not very effective. Spend the $$$$ buy a great quality bag, you will love it. Temp wise, sucks to be cold, I would vote for the 15 degree one, if u are fall/early spring camping at all in your future. You can always unzip and quilt the bag, but getting warmer on a cold night is very unfun. Good luck.

I got the mont bell silk liner to go with my mont bell ss bags. Works great - I think it keeps the bag clean primarily with additional warmth being minimal.

Retro
03-18-2010, 22:19
I was figuring I could stick one of the following bag liners into the aforementioned bag:

Sea to Summit (Reactor Plus Thermolite Liner) (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/91), providing an alleged 20 degree temp boost to your bags nominal rating.

Sea to Summit (Reactor Extreme Thermolite Liner) (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/90), providing an alleged 25 degree temp boost to your bags nominal rating.

... that way I could get a little extra warmth if needed, or possibly just switch to using the liner alone, without the bag, when it gets to the warmer months. At 9 ounces, and packing down to 3 x 5 inches, seems like a reasonable weight and space sacrifice, but I don't know if most guys even bother with these bag liner things. Obviously it would keep your bag clean... but I don't know if they really give a temperature boost, as claimed.

Speaking from experience--

I'd have to say that the temp rating that Sea to Summit gives their liners seems to be a bit enthusiastic, probably by about five degrees or so, but they certainly do help.

Also they sure are the most hellacious bother to get in and out of-- especially when nature calls in the wee hours.

The Bottom Line: There really is no substitute for a good warm bag.

kanga
03-18-2010, 22:28
EC,

For your first post, I think the super spiral replaces the super stretch model more closely, and they have the regular spiral as well. Look closely at the sizes of the bag listed, and I think you can see the SSpiral has more stretch in it then the regular spiral. And you are correct on sizing, they changed to accomodate 6' people in the regular length, but maybe not on the regular spiral, note carefully.

I would invest a call to them if you want clarification. Also, as noted, if you want the ULSS bags, search for them, they are available.

I have the ULSS #2 800 fp, great bag, long fits me, a 6' even person, perfectly, length wise.

i'm a big fan of the super stretches and i was hoping they hadn't gotten rid of them so i sent them an email. they responded within an hour saying they just sewed the super stretch in a spiral pattern instead of boxes. still not thinking i'm going to be a fan of the changes.

slow
03-18-2010, 23:43
Hello, I'm Alex, and I am new to the forum. I have a random comment/question.

I was all set to purchase a Montbell U.L. (ultralight) Super Stretch Down 800 model, but noticed that just within the last day or two, they seemed to have removed all the Super Stretch models from their site (unless it was just a temporary glitch while updating their site).

Anyway, so I was looking at what they have now, and it seems they are replacing their "U.L. Down Spiral" model with the "U.L. Super Spiral" model. I'm pretty sure they just did that this year.

Are there any Montbell enthusiasts here who know what the difference is, in terms of improvement?

Their "Super Spiral" model simply seems to be not only be:

(1) a few ounces heavier,

(2) but it now packs just a little bit larger also, for each respective temperature rating, and on top of that,

(3) It's a FULL $100 more than the U.L. Spiral model.

How exactly is that an improvement?

Well one possible improvement is that I noticed that the Super Spiral now can accommodate people who are 6 foot tall, whereas the previous Spiral model only accommodated people who were 5'10", and some people complained about that, I suppose that is one improvement. It also would explain a little bit of extra weight and packing size, but arguably not as much as the new model has, because it seemed to get roughly 5 ounces heavier (for the 15 degree model).

Also, the new U.L. Super Spiral model seems to look quite a bit different than the U.L. Spiral model, though. It looks like they made some kind of significant change beyond making the bag just slightly larger to accommodate a 6 foot person. Anyone know what the difference is? The website, so far as I can tell, really does not explain this clearly. Its just your usual marketing jazz which is semi-useless.

I was speculating that since the U.L. Super Stretch model is no longer on their site, that maybe the new U.L. Super Spiral model is actually some kind of hybrid between the old U.L. Spiral model, and the U.L. Super Stretch model, such that it gives the old spiral model the stretchiness of the now (possibly) defunct U.L. Super Stretch line.

So I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the U.L. Spiral and the U.L. Super Spiral beyond the fact that the new model is simply heavier, larger and $100 more on top of it all, aside from being suitable for a 6 foot person now).

Any insights you may have, much appreciated. Thanks.

When you sell junk well... you TRY to make it better.FF.WM dont need to change.They got it right.

generoll
03-18-2010, 23:50
the best thing about liners is that you can wash them and keep the sleeping bag from getting as dirty. they can be a bit of a PITA trying to get them properly positioned in the bag and getting yourself into them.

sparky2009
03-19-2010, 20:30
EC,
.... Spend the $$$$ buy a great quality bag, you will love it. Temp wise, sucks to be cold, I would vote for the 15 degree one, if u are fall/early spring camping at all in your future. You can always unzip and quilt the bag, but getting warmer on a cold night is very unfun. Good luck.

Ditto. I own a 15deg Marmot. It's was easy to make it comfortable on a 32-35deg night. I wear something at night to keep the bag clean.

Cloudynesz
03-21-2010, 20:26
The sleeping bag on their site is on sale, I guess so!

snaplok
03-27-2010, 23:49
I was hoping that I read wrong, but all that hope for nothing.

I got a UL SS #3 about 6 months or so ago, now I see the UL Super Spiral is 2oz lighter. Other than that everything seems to be the same. Still would like to know how the hell they shaved 2oz and from where to add 2 more inches to the length.

Tinker
03-28-2010, 00:00
When you sell junk well... you TRY to make it better.FF.WM dont need to change.They got it right.

I have a Montbell non-stretch bag (the ULAP liner). It isn't junk. I also have a FF bag that's 18 years old and it's good too. The only WM item I have is a pair of down pants (brand new).

Don't be so quick to put down Montbell. They seem to be fine tuning their "signature" design - the stretch baffles. Lots of people like (or love) them.