PDA

View Full Version : Keen Targhee II Mid boot = Awesome!

Sassafras Lass
03-17-2010, 16:17
I just had to comment on my new boots, which I received in good time from Zappos (as always, and I hope I'm allowed to mention stores here). http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/fw09/shoes/women/trailhead/targhee%20ii%20mid/concord

At the sound advice of Live the Journey, I ordered a 1/2 size up from my normal sneaker size (9.5) in Walnut (I rather like the traditional boot color). They arrived yesterday and I used them immediately after coming home from work. They are very well made, very pleasing aesthetically, and furthermore give me the exact support I was looking for in a hiking boot.

I don't know that I have weird feet; perhaps they're a bit wide and I have developed an irritable bone spur on the ball of my right foot, but other than that I'd say I have fairly normal feet.

I put them on, tucking in the tongue and tightening the laces (the lacing system, by the way, is nice and simple, with a reinforced metal hook that holds the lace well). The laces are wavy - I don't know the proper term, but they widen and shrink at intervals throughout the length, which certainly gives the appearance of being more sturdy and secure than a standard round or flat lace.

Right away the boots felt great. They were not heavy, they didn't feel cumbersome, I could wiggle my toes, my heel was secure, and I feel that these boots actually improve my balance and posture; I'm no slouch but these just encourage the rest of my body to stand straight and tall (I'm guessing it has something to do with the higher mid cut).

Walking is a breeze; these boots actually help my stride, help me keep my center of balance, and offer me not a single chance of twisting my ankle (I do have rather weak ankles). I walked around the house for nearly 1/2 an hour to ensure that a 1/2 size up would be appropriate; I was worried about size because many Keen user suggest going a full size up from sneaker size, and once I got these dirty I couldn't very well return them.

I decided that they were great, grabbed my trekking poles, and walked out into the backyard and woods. I proceeded to hike a little over 2 1/2 miles through woods, golf green, dirt country rode, and pavement.

Never once did my toes feel scrunched. Never once did my feet slide or move. Never once did my heel pull out. Never once did I feel inhibited in any kind of stride or maneuver. They absorbed the shock and kept my feet from feeling the terrain in a good way; stones, sticks, etc. were nothing to worry about. They had great grip and I easily walked along downed tree trunks that I whimpered over a week ago. My ankle felt supported, the height didn't dig into my calves (and I do have muscular calves), and the toe box was wonderfully supportive.

All in all, a terrific shoe! I'm very pleased with them (though I've yet to get them wet) and look foward to using them in the Smokies Easter weekend, and hopefully for the beginning of my GAME hike next March.

Blissful
03-17-2010, 19:47
Time will tell on a long distance hike with good elevation changes which is the ultimate test of footwear, but hope they do work out for you.

Daydream Believer
03-17-2010, 20:17
I have the exact same boot and I love them. I wear them every day around my farm as well as hiking and my feet do not ache or throb at night after a day on my feet. Keen's are hands down the most comfortable boots/shoes I've ever worn.

Daydream Believer
03-17-2010, 20:19
Oh, I wanted to add also that they are very waterproof as proven by this past winter here slogging in the mud and muck day after day. You are going to love those boots the longer you wear them!

On hikes...I've only sectioned in mine...3 days so far...but plenty of ups and downs in Georgia to test them and they performed really well for me.

BarFight
03-25-2010, 09:44
I'm a woman who wore the men's Targee 2's for my thru-hike in 2008. The first pair lasted until MA when the tread completely disappeared and I replaced them with the exact same thing. Both times they required no break in. The pair that went from MA to Katahdin had some stitching pull out on the boot and I replaced them again, though I can't bear to throw out that old pair.

I can't say how much I love these boots. I have odd curling toes, and other boots I'd owned gave me blisters all over the toes. These never have because the toe box is wider. My heel never slips. They're a great choice. I was told by some of the men who wore them that they only lasted 500-1000 miles for some. Not a problem here.

johnnybgood
03-25-2010, 17:09
The Targhee mid boot has been my favorite without question. I really like the wide toe box and the tough toe guard which helps protect the integrity of the boot.

I've not had any issues with this boot and have hiked 300+ miles in them and also wear them to work 2-3 days a week.

Spokes
03-25-2010, 19:09
These were my preferred boot on last years thru. Never got one blister in them. Oh, so comfortable.

I never got great mileage out of them and the soles started to delaminate early in every single pair I used- mind you it was a very wet year.

Still I'll take comfort over mileage any day.......

Madison
03-25-2010, 20:23
I agree! I bought my pair maybe last year and I have hiked sections of the Long Trail with them. I was skeptical at first - what is this Keen brand you say? - but they fit my feet well with zero blisters. I am a big fan. Can't wait to get on the AT this year with them.... Yay!