PDA

View Full Version : Worst towns for resupply?

Spot In The Sky
03-17-2010, 17:19
Hey Team,

Going SoBo starting end of June and dont plan on doing too many mail drops but I know some towns are better than others for resupplying so if any in particular stand out where Im definitely better off getting a mail drop that shopping in the nearest town Id love to hear it!

Thanks-

BigFoot2002
03-17-2010, 18:07
Check the resupply advice in the articles section. I found that Jack Tarlin's advice works very well SOBO.

Blissful
03-17-2010, 19:56
Well NOBO I'd say drop at NOC, but that may not be needed SOBO depending on your mileage by then. Possibly Fontana Dam (although I've stay at the Hike Inn and they shuttle). Maybe drop also at DWG and Port Clinton - the POS are right by the trail too
As far as up north, I plan to drop at Carratunk. But I drop more often anyway d/t meds and food preferences

I listed my '07 drops on my blog. Mine will vary though this yr.

Ramble~On
03-17-2010, 21:17
Port Clinton!

fiddlehead
03-17-2010, 22:17
Yeah, you really should read the threads on resupply.

But, until you do, here is my opinion on the worst (SOBO):

Andover, ME
Glencliff, NH
Bear Mt, NY
Port Clinton, PA
Pen Mar, PA
Harpers Ferry, WV

Keep in mind, there are other choices, but if you rely on these, you might be wise to send yourself a package.

Chaco Taco
03-17-2010, 22:48
Stay outta Kent, CT

Mountain Wildman
03-17-2010, 23:00
Stay outta Kent, CT

What's up with Kent?

Chaco Taco
03-17-2010, 23:04
What's up with Kent?
Well, the prices are higher than any other town. Yes I do know its CT. Also, we had a run in with the guy that owned the laundromat. He was very rude to us for absolutely no reason. The "outfitter" was kinda lame. Just not really a trail kinda town. its a beautiful little town, just kinda looked at hikers as outcast

Mountain Wildman
03-17-2010, 23:07
Well, the prices are higher than any other town. Yes I do know its CT. Also, we had a run in with the guy that owned the laundromat. He was very rude to us for absolutely no reason. The "outfitter" was kinda lame. Just not really a trail kinda town. its a beautiful little town, just kinda looked at hikers as outcast

I had a feeling it was something like that, I grew up in Southern Ct.
Closer to N.Y., Not much different there either, If you survive that is!!
Thanks, I'll just do a mail drop on my Thru next year.

Chaco Taco
03-17-2010, 23:22
I had a feeling it was something like that, I grew up in Southern Ct.
Closer to N.Y., Not much different there either, If you survive that is!!
Thanks, I'll just do a mail drop on my Thru next year.

Oh yea but the people at the PO were awesome. I will say that. :D

stranger
03-18-2010, 02:31
I haven't hiked north of New York in many years now, but I would consider maildrops in the following places:

- Bear Mountain (the PO has very limited hours and may close, if so Fort Montgomery may be useful, or Arden, NY)
- Delaware Water Gap
- Port Clinton
- Harpers Ferry
- Montebello
- Troutdale
- Elk Park, Roan Mountain
- NOC
- Fontana Dam

Blue Jay
03-18-2010, 10:07
Bagdad, the hitch is horrendous and the damn Marines eat all the Poptarts.

10-K
03-18-2010, 10:11
Stay outta Kent, CT

Oh man... I wish you hadn't said that.. I was looking forward to stopping there on my first town stop after leaving Bear Mt.

My plan for Kent is to switch from esbit to isobutane (picked up at the outfitter), get a shower and do laundry and resupply to get to Salisbury.

Please tell me that'll work. :)

Pootz
03-18-2010, 10:33
Delaware Water Gap
Port Clinton
Harper's Ferry
NOC
The Whites
Neels GAP

I am sure there are others I cant remember. That being said: I did not use maildrops, never went hungry and left each and every town with enough food. Food along the AT is not something you need to worry about unless you are a picky eater.

Contrary to other opinions I had no problem resupplying at fontana Dam and loved Kent CT.

Enjoy your hike

white_russian
03-18-2010, 10:58
Caratunk is a must. Don't send it to the PO though, send it to the Northern Outdoor Center up the road. The place is awesome: they have free showers and hot tub usage as well as a very good restaurant. River guides drive up and down that road a lot and they are cool with hikers so getting a hitch isn't hard.

Jack Tarlin
03-18-2010, 11:18
All good advice so far. And while at least 95% of my re-supply article is still accurate (especially as regards how long it will take to hike specific sections of the Trail), the article hasn't been updated for a few years. Several listed places (like Miss Janet's in Erwin for example have closed); several places (like Fontana Village) have better re-supply than they did in years past, and there are quite a few places (especially in Pennsylvania) that are OK for re-supply but aren't mentioned in the Article. Your best resource is a current Trail guidebook/handbook.

That being said, were I to thru-hike again, this is where I'd strongly suggest sending a food drop, either because the food available at these places is either sparse, over-priced, or way off the Trail.

*The Nantahala Outdoor Center
*Fontana Village
*Harpers Ferry WV
*Bear MT. NY assuming the P.O. is operational
*Caratunk ME

I would have said Port Clinton PA but most folks these days have no troble getting to nearby Hamburg; hikers should be aware that the grocery/convenience stores in Andover and Monson Maine are OK but not great. Oh, and Montebello VA might be good, too, especially if yo plan to stay at the excellent hostel there.

10-K
03-18-2010, 11:26
All good advice so far. And while at least 95% of my re-supply article is still accurate (especially as regards how long it will take to hike specific sections of the Trail), the article hasn't been updated for a few years..

I was going to ask you about this...

Since the economy has been the way it has since you originally wrote the article I was wondering if some of the establishments were no longer in business.

Excellent article btw, thanks for taking the time to write it.

Captain Blue
03-18-2010, 12:25
Is this a thread about the worst towns for resupply or best towns?

My advice is to avoid Peekskill, NY. I resupplied there once. Never again. Too close to New York City, too big, and few people know what the Appalachian Trail is.

Tennessee Viking
03-18-2010, 14:01
I haven't hiked north of New York in many years now, but I would consider maildrops in the following places:

- Bear Mountain (the PO has very limited hours and may close, if so Fort Montgomery may be useful, or Arden, NY)
- Delaware Water Gap
- Port Clinton
- Harpers Ferry
- Montebello
- Troutdale
- Elk Park, Roan Mountain
- NOC
- Fontana DamRoan Mtn has a new small grocery store now. Besides you are around two days from Hampton/Dennis Cove, you can make a big supply run into Elizabethton to Whit es/Ingles/FoodCity/WalMart. Then there is Browns in Hampton.

Spot In The Sky
03-20-2010, 14:44
THe thread is about the worst place to resupply from the towns resources, meaning I should have a mail drop sent to said towns.
Thank you everyone for your advice-

mweinstone
03-21-2010, 23:36
every town on the trail is a wonderful new exsploration of cultures and peoples. worst? none.

fiddlehead
03-22-2010, 00:21
He's asking about resupply Matty.
Obviously, Cloverdale VA is better than Carabasset, ME in this regard. (although I'd much rather be in the latter for other reasons)

wcgornto
03-22-2010, 01:24
*Bear MT. NY assuming the P.O. is operational

I used Bear Mountain, NY for a mail drop last year. It was operational. It did have limited, quirky hours. I picked up on the last Friday of the summer hours (August 28th going SOBO). It is a tiny post office that is in the back of an older warehouse / maintenance building for the state park. I had to ask a parking lot attendant to find it. Having said all this, it was super convenient. The Fort Montgomery, NY post office is close by (a bit further off of the trail) and has longer hours of operation. So, anyone concerned about the more limited hours of the Bear Mountain post office could use the Fort Montgomery post office instead.

Railroad King
03-31-2010, 13:36
Wow, no mention of Glasgow, VA? That was the worst place during my hike. Hard to get a hitch and there wasn't much there. Port Clinton is a good town if you can get a hitch a few miles up the road to an awesome grocery store that seemed to have everything. The outfitter there may even shuttle you.
At DWG the outfitter ran a shuttle into town to a good grocery store.
Don't think anyone goes here but if you go 30 miles past Harper's Ferry Smithburg, MD had a Food Lion. I walked it and still remember how to get there if anyone cares.

Spot In The Sky
04-06-2010, 13:51
OK here is what Ive gathered from the posts on here- again, the goal is to find the towns that have the worst resupply options with in the town so it would be best to have a mail drop sent there.

Andover, ME
Caratunk, ME- send to Northern Outdoor Center, no PO
Port Clinton, PA
Pen Mar, PA
Harpers Ferry, WV
Kent, CT
NOC, NC
Fontana Village, NC
Bear Mountain, NY

Are any of these too repetitive, too close or unnecessary?

Thanks team!

10-K
04-06-2010, 16:28
I've heard Glencliff is the absolute worst of the worse - is this true?

As of right now, this is the only maildrop I'm planning between Bear Mt. and Katahdin..

CrumbSnatcher
04-06-2010, 17:00
Glencliff, NH is a great stop! packrat always drove us to dinner, and groceries, and some sweet swimming holes
the post office right across the street is a good place to get your cold weather gear back,and a drop if desired. packrat keeps a few food items on hand at the hostel, unless things have changed

wcgornto
04-06-2010, 17:01
I've heard Glencliff is the absolute worst of the worse - is this true?

As of right now, this is the only maildrop I'm planning between Bear Mt. and Katahdin..

There is no resupply in Glencliff. There is a great, if eclectic, hostel in Glencliff - Hikers Welcome. For about $3 per person, they will shuttle their guests to the next town for limited resupply (convenience store). The post office is across the street from the hostel. It is a small post office which looks to be attached to the end of someone's house. It has odd hours. I was there on a weekday and I believe it is closed from 12:00 to 2:00 on weekdays. I don't know if it has Saturday hours. Glencliff is a great place for a mail drop. Just don't plan to blow through mid-day with a quick stop at the post office.

Appalachian Tater
04-12-2010, 20:47
OK here is what Ive gathered from the posts on here- again, the goal is to find the towns that have the worst resupply options with in the town so it would be best to have a mail drop sent there.

Andover, ME
Caratunk, ME- send to Northern Outdoor Center, no PO
Port Clinton, PA
Pen Mar, PA
Harpers Ferry, WV
Kent, CT
NOC, NC
Fontana Village, NC
Bear Mountain, NY

Are any of these too repetitive, too close or unnecessary?

Thanks team!

Kent has a great grocery store, an IGA, right next to the Post Office. Don't know why you would even consider a drop there.

Lone Wolf
04-12-2010, 20:50
Kent has a great grocery store, an IGA, right next to the Post Office. Don't know why you would even consider a drop there.

i agree. kent is a great town for resupply. don't understand all the whinin'

10-K
04-12-2010, 21:06
i agree. kent is a great town for resupply. don't understand all the whinin'

What about Salisbury - it's just a day and a half up the trail... I wasn't planning on making Kent a major resupply stop.

But... since we're talking about Kent - is there a place to shower and wash clothes there?

Appalachian Tater
04-12-2010, 21:15
What about Salisbury - it's just a day and a half up the trail... I wasn't planning on making Kent a major resupply stop.

But... since we're talking about Kent - is there a place to shower and wash clothes there?

Kent may be better than Salisbury as far as prices. If you want a particular brand of capers you'd better off in Salisbury, though. Why not resupply both places since you're going to go into town to eat anyway and carry a light load for a day or two?

10-K
04-12-2010, 21:18
Kent may be better than Salisbury as far as prices. If you want a particular brand of capers you'd better off in Salisbury, though. Why not resupply both places since you're going go into town to eat anyway and carry a light load for a day or two?

That's the plan! I was planning on just getting enough in Kent to make it to Salisbury rather than loading up in Kent.

Appalachian Tater
04-12-2010, 21:31
Well, when you get to U.S. 7 in Mass don't miss the Corn Crib. They have fresh fruit and vegetables, soda, and ice cream! Right there to the left of the trail, looks like a plant nursery. Nice people, too.

Alligator
04-12-2010, 21:38

But... since we're talking about Kent - is there a place to shower and wash clothes there?There's a laundromat not far from the IGA.

BigFoot2002
04-12-2010, 21:54
In my opinion, the deli at the grocers in Salisbury is one of the best on the trail.

Railroad King
04-15-2010, 23:35
There is no resupply in Glencliff. There is a great, if eclectic, hostel in Glencliff - Hikers Welcome. For about $3 per person, they will shuttle their guests to the next town for limited resupply (convenience store). The post office is across the street from the hostel. It is a small post office which looks to be attached to the end of someone's house. It has odd hours. I was there on a weekday and I believe it is closed from 12:00 to 2:00 on weekdays. I don't know if it has Saturday hours. Glencliff is a great place for a mail drop. Just don't plan to blow through mid-day with a quick stop at the post office.

It was across the street?? My mind is blown. I never even noticed it while staying at the hostel which has very nice hosts by the way. I think I bought some snacks here and hiked the next day past Moosilauke and onto the interstate crossing where I hitched into North Woodstock for food and a Gregory replacement pack that never showed up but that's another story.

jersey joe
04-16-2010, 07:37
I resupplied at the grocery store in Kent and had no problems. Kent is actually a nice town. Bookstore, icecream shop...I rather enjoyed Kent.

Arden
04-17-2010, 23:59
If you stop at DWG, check out a place called "Dough Boys of the Poconos" pizza and sandwiches on route 611 just south of the I-80 interchange (on the PA side), the corner of Broad and Main st.
They have the best pizza and hot & cold heroes, subs, whatever.
The last time I was there was back around 2000, so check with someone who has been more recently to confirm that they still exist.
The town was flooded sometime during the early 2,000's so I don't know what changes have been made since. I do know that Laird electronics lost its EMI testing facility during that flood.

I may be getting out that way for a day or two hike during the next couple of months. I'll report back about what's what in town.

Arden

Spokes
04-18-2010, 07:37
well, the prices are higher than any other town. Yes i do know its ct. Also, we had a run in with the guy that owned the laundromat. He was very rude to us for absolutely no reason. The "outfitter" was kinda lame. Just not really a trail kinda town. Its a beautiful little town, just kinda looked at hikers as outcast

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnnyblisters
04-18-2010, 14:09
In my opinion, the deli at the grocers in Salisbury is one of the best on the trail.

I can't say for the whole trail, but that deli is legit! Huge subs, great cuts of meat and veggies, and cheap to boot!

Chance09
04-19-2010, 00:06
id recommend a maildrop to fontana damn. I spent twice there what the same amount of food would have cost me at a regular grocery store. Ramen itself was 50 + cents a pack.

Lybarger
04-20-2010, 15:45
It has been a few years but most towns in Maine are spotty regarding food resupply. Rangeley was the exception having a larger grocery store. Monson was fair but don't expect great selection.

It must be tough for SOBO's because I cannot think of any outfitters along the trail in Maine.

Gator 65
04-21-2010, 21:35
I used Jack's suggested list of drops and re supplies last year (2009) on my thru hike and found it to be very accurate and convenient. Also,I agree, avoid Kent (rich little preppy town with a few private schools) and keep going to West Cornwall (10 miles) and either use a mail drop or the general store. There is also a small outfitter there right across the street dealing mostly in kayaking and fishing items but will still have the basics you will need.
The general store there has great deli sandwiches and ice cream and will let you lounge on the porch or on the picnic table under the big tree. great place to dry out and re-organize your pack.

Gator 65
04-21-2010, 21:41
Lybarger is correct. Monson is sparse with the selection but think about it..... If your NoBo then all your looking at is the 100 mile wilderness. Stay at Shaw's, eat the breat breakfast, do laundry andgo to the BP station down down and load up on Texas style honey buns, cup cakes candy bars, etc. I even took canned Ravioli. It only 5 1/2 days until your at Katahdin Stream campground getting ready for the big climb.

Footslogger
04-22-2010, 10:54
Probably has chaged since 2003 ...but back then the hardest places to find decent resupply (without a bus ride or shuttle) were:

Glencliff, NH
Bear Mountain, NY
Harpers Ferry, WV

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
04-22-2010, 19:48
There is a bus in Harpers Ferry that you can hop on that takes you to a Super Wal-Mart in the next town if you can't get a ride. A lot of hikers spend some time in Harpers Ferry anyway.

adamkrz
04-22-2010, 20:14
I used Jack's suggested list of drops and re supplies last year (2009) on my thru hike and found it to be very accurate and convenient. Also,I agree, avoid Kent (rich little preppy town with a few private schools) and keep going to West Cornwall (10 miles) and either use a mail drop or the general store. There is also a small outfitter there right across the street dealing mostly in kayaking and fishing items but will still have the basics you will need.
The general store there has great deli sandwiches and ice cream and will let you lounge on the porch or on the picnic table under the big tree. great place to dry out and re-organize your pack.

The town is Cornwall Bridge and I think the package store will give a free beer to thru hikers.

Gator 65
04-28-2010, 23:38
My bad, you are correct..... Cornwall Bridge

vonfrick
04-29-2010, 00:26
It has been a few years but most towns in Maine are spotty regarding food resupply. Rangeley was the exception having a larger grocery store. Monson was fair but don't expect great selection.

It must be tough for SOBO's because I cannot think of any outfitters along the trail in Maine.

Lybarger is correct. Monson is sparse with the selection but think about it..... If your NoBo then all your looking at is the 100 mile wilderness. Stay at Shaw's, eat the breat breakfast, do laundry andgo to the BP station down down and load up on Texas style honey buns, cup cakes candy bars, etc. I even took canned Ravioli. It only 5 1/2 days until your at Katahdin Stream campground getting ready for the big climb.

shaw's itself is expanding the resupply kept at the house and someone at shaw's is always glad to run you to greenville, where there is a full size grocery and an outfitter if we don't have what you need :sun

Tuney
05-03-2010, 17:42
If all you need is a long term resupply, Buena Vista may not be the place to stop unless you plan to stay over, or you have a ride. The Food Lion and the CVS are at the top of a pretty long hill on U.S. 60. There are several good places to eat, 2 motels, and the library is pretty liberal with letting hikers use their computers to check e-mail and update journals and blogs.l

Spot In The Sky
05-11-2010, 11:06
Is Fontana Village the same as Fonatana Dam?

Going SoBo, is it really a problem not having an outfitter in Maine? Most of my equipment is new and tested so I shouldnt need to replace too much gear.

The town that is 10 miles up from Kent, is that right off the trail/easy to find or do I need to hitch from Kent?

Blissful
05-11-2010, 12:57
SOBO -make sure your gear is set which it sounds like it is. That's the challenge of going that direction.

Are you talking about Salisbury, CT? If so, its right down the road. Resupply with grocery store.

Fontana Village is different from the dam