PDA

View Full Version : Gunnison 2.1 or Clip Flashlight 2 Tent

cbrown73
03-17-2010, 21:22
Looking to replace my 15 year old REI tent, I think it was a nightlight. Looking at a lot of tents online and it only makes it harder to come to a decision. Looking for a 2 man tent under $200.00

I really like the idea of a freestanding tent and the size of the tent is great on the Gunnison.

The Clip flash is much lighter (in weight and the wallet) but not free standing.

Does it all just boil down to weight.

Primary use for the tent will be AT backpacking.

What is your vote on the pros and cons?

mykl
03-17-2010, 23:41
It depends on what you more important to you. If your looking to wake up and get a lot of miles in, the SD. If you want/need room and maybe staying at a camp site for a while, Kelty Gunnison has plenty of space for two, a dog (if you bring one), and gear more comfortably. You can move about more and have better head room.
Also nice if your waiting out rain or something. In the SD, your pretty much sitting beside your tent mate looking at the underside of rain fly through the mesh.
I never had the Kelty Gunnison, but they seem ok. The new Pro version is cool too.
Free standing is nice, but non free standing can be just as quick to set up once you've done it a few times.
I don't think theres that much of a price difference between them, maybe ten bucks or so.
A pound and a half lighter vs space.

Feral Bill
03-18-2010, 00:00
I have the old style CLip Flashlight and like it for one. It's tight for two. The REI Half Dome is nice too, worth considering.

trailangelbronco
03-18-2010, 00:16
Half dome is five freakin pounds, but nice room.

jcramin
03-18-2010, 08:44
I have the Kelty Gunnison 3.1 for my son and I when we go camping or backpacking together. It is a great tent with loads of room. We have room for both of us and all our gear inside the tent.

J

mykl
03-18-2010, 12:39
Yea the REI and Kelty are about the same price and weight. Kelty bonus: bigger footprint, REI bonus: Ridge pole for even more head room.

Ladytrekker
03-18-2010, 12:48
I have the SD Flashlight 2. Good for one person holds me and my gear. Been in two rains with it no water inside tent. Downsides it only has one door front entry and is a full net tent so when the fly is on there are no windows no view to the world and is not free standing. However, it is light, goes up quickly and has a small vestibule to cook in or store boots. I can sit up in it and some room to move around. It does lower at feet area so you have to sit at front of tent. My honest biggest complaint about the tent is the front entry door.

Jim Adams
03-19-2010, 00:55
I have the Gunnison 2 and Gunnison 3. They are both great tents. I use the 2 for solo winter backpacking and the 3 for canoe camping for my partner and I.
I bought them after my Kelty Vortex finally wore out after 16 years.

geek

JRiker
03-19-2010, 14:35
if this is just for you i would advocate the SD. plenty o' room for 1 + gear. if it's for two i'd recommend the kelty. kinda heavy but let your partner carry something else. if you're not too tall and it's only for one i'd really recommend the SD lightning. it's the 1 man version of the clip flashlight.

mykl
03-19-2010, 18:25
if you're not too tall and it's only for one i'd really recommend the SD lightning. it's the 1 man version of the clip flashlight.

Do you mean the SD Vapor Light1 ? It seems more like a 1 person Clip....more so than the SD Lightning 1.

J5man
03-19-2010, 18:34
I have a Gunnison 2, it is roomy. I don't use anymore for solo backpacking, but for base camping. I now use a 1 man freestanding or hammock if carrying a sleep system. It is a great tent if the room is more important that the weight (for solo)

Rocketman
03-19-2010, 21:49

Yeah, I bought one to use bicycle camping when I had a trailer to haul the weight and volume. Lots of space for one, and made waiting out heavy rain almost a joy.

When I went backpacking, I bought a tarptent of silnylon with lots of room for 24 ounces, without poles. No way was I going to haul that Half Dome on my back. In a trailer, sure..

JRiker
03-20-2010, 21:38
Do you mean the SD Vapor Light1 ? It seems more like a 1 person Clip....more so than the SD Lightning 1.

oops... meant the light year, not the lightning. the light year is just like the flashlight but with a pointed vestibule. i like it because i can pitch it with only two pegs if needed