PDA

View Full Version : Mags doesn't suck as much any more

garlic08
03-17-2010, 23:12
Please join me in congratulating Mags on his new job. He says having thru-hiked was a major factor in standing out among the scores of qualified applicants. Finally! Congratulations, Mags. And good luck to those who are looking.

Chaco Taco
03-17-2010, 23:17
Way to go Mags. Bout time you got a job HIPPIE!
Seriously, Congrats Dude:sun

Mags
03-17-2010, 23:54
:)

Yep..the CDT is what made me standout. Said it showed some attributes that are a positive asset in an employee.

The kicker is the new job pays more money than my old job AND certainly more money than the two other jobs that turned me down. In this economy, I feel so fortunate. My girlfriend is happy too. ;)

Now I have to work Monday. I can only suck on weekends and the occasional moonlight hike. :)

ps. Good thing the employer did not see the photo Garlic showed!!! :D

TJ aka Teej
03-18-2010, 00:02

Yep..the CDT is what made me standout. Said it showed some attributes that are a positive asset in an employee.

Ditching work for several months of wandering is a "positive attribute"??
You is a lucky guy, Mags!

skinewmexico
03-18-2010, 01:04
Congrats. Wish I had done something productive, like hiking the CDT, in the months I was off. Sure tough to go back to work. Wife sure likes it though.

elmotoots
03-18-2010, 02:07
Happy you get to go back to work.

EVEN HAPPIER THAT I DON'T HAVE TO.

Getting paid to stay home now, And do what I want to.

Good luck in your new job !

Elmo

Egads
03-18-2010, 05:59
bout time you join the working class Mags.:D Congratulations

Marta
03-18-2010, 06:42
Ditching work for several months of wandering is a "positive attribute"??
You is a lucky guy, Mags!

Must be a Colorado thing.

Congratulations, Mags! To everything there is a season.

bigcranky
03-18-2010, 07:17
Wait, what? You have a girlfriend? And now you have a job?

Can wedding bells, mortgage payments, and littles Magsies be far behind? Heh heh.

Congrats, bud.

rpenczek
03-18-2010, 08:00
Elmo,

What is the secret, how do we all get paid to stay home and do what we want to do? Who is willing to provide that pay?

mweinstone
03-18-2010, 08:08
the phot works like this. member the machine hans solo used in bladerunner to study the photograph of the replicas? well, i think if you look at the reflection in the brown glass of his beer bottle,....quad32,....right 16.....down12..... zoom in,,,,,,,,,right 2..........print that and give me a hard copy,...........you can just see the real mags bound and gagged in the backround!

Yukon
03-18-2010, 08:19
Elmo,

What is the secret, how do we all get paid to stay home and do what we want to do? Who is willing to provide that pay?

Retired possibly?

mudhead
03-18-2010, 08:34

I can only suck on weekends

What a layup.

bigmac_in
03-18-2010, 08:48
Nah, Mags still sucks. He just sucks less.

Congrats on the job Mags.

Carbo
03-18-2010, 10:13
Please join me in congratulating Mags on his new job. He says having thru-hiked was a major factor in standing out among the scores of qualified applicants...

Mags, congratulations!

Hmmm... this really has me rethinking my job hunting plan. I though I had it all planned out, but now, maybe I should just screw it and do the thru. At 63 I need every advantage I can get!

Mags
03-18-2010, 10:49
Can wedding bells, mortgage payments, and littles Magsies be far behind? Heh heh.

Congrats, bud.

:eek:

http://www.christie.ab.ca/aadac/Facts/Images/running.gif

Mags
03-18-2010, 10:50
Must be a Colorado thing.

Congratulations, Mags! To everything there is a season.

First, thanks for all the kinds wishes.

Yeah..I lucked out. Helps the new boss' son (my age) did the LT, has worked in Philmont and was a guide. The new boss has also done chunks of the AT.

weary
03-18-2010, 11:05
Elmo,

It's a common phenomenon once one gets old enough. I haven't stopped working. I've just stopped getting any money from working. It's more fun that way. No bosses. No deadlines. Everything is my choice. Well, doctors from time to time issue orders, but I try to ignore them.

Mags
03-18-2010, 11:52
It's a common phenomenon once one gets old enough. I haven't stopped working. I've just stopped getting any money from working. It's more fun that way. No bosses. No deadlines. Everything is my choice. Well, doctors from time to time issue orders, but I try to ignore them.

I talked to my Dad earlier today. He retired at 58 yo last May after nearly 40 yrs of sheet metal work.

He's loving retirement. Other than some soreness in his hands from 6 surgeries on his hands (4 of which happened in the past decade!...see the 40 yrs of sheet metal!), he's in excellent health.

But he has not stopped working.

Dotes on his new granddaughter. Putters in his garden (retired and Italian..mandatory?) Cooks a lot for his girlfriend (Hmmm...sounds familiar :-?) And he volunteers in a local soup kitchen a few days a week. Said after many years of having to work to help make submarines, it is nice to do something that helps out people directly..and because he wants to work.

Big difference. :)

elmotoots
03-18-2010, 12:44
Hey guys

Its called working 37yrs in the same job, and deciding at 54 yrs old I was going to go out and live a while, even if it means I have to go back to work when I turn 72. I live a lot cheaper now.

Elmo

Kerosene
03-18-2010, 13:01
Congrats, Mags. Just make sure you don't let other priorities always get in the way of your outings.

K2
03-18-2010, 13:24
http://www.wondercliparts.com/congratulations/congratulation_graphics_3.gif ~K2~http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wondercliparts.com/congratulations/congratulation_graphics_3.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.wondercliparts.com/congratulations/cliparts-details.html%3Fid%3D281&usg=__kxZghdIWRJ8rOuqslPYbjRuJUHo=&h=300&w=300&sz=112&hl=en&start=5&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=f3Xzv3nBJcnRwM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dimage%2Bcongratulations%26um%3D1%26hl %3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

MyName1sMud
03-18-2010, 13:50
ditching work for several months of wandering is a "positive attribute"??
You is a lucky guy, mags!
:-?:-?

:d

GGS2
03-18-2010, 15:07
Did I miss what the new job is?

Mags
03-18-2010, 15:41
Techie stuff...not important. :)

Monkeyboy
03-18-2010, 16:35

http://boeremeisies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/man-in-elephant-ass.jpg

K2
03-18-2010, 21:26

I started to say something, but it would be rhetorical. ~K2~

Wise Old Owl
03-18-2010, 22:44

not really and he still sucks.

Ronnwell
03-18-2010, 22:55

Every time I get a little down about my job, I'm going to take a look at this picture. BTW, these guys hiring?

McPick
03-18-2010, 23:05
OMG!!! Mags a goin' back to work! Almost feels like a day of mourning. But I'm not sure what's worse... Mr Mags doing the 8 to 5 (retch) or us not getting our WB Magsisms fix throughout the day (groan)...

But Mags, ol' buddy, yore a sharp, "techie" kinda hiker guy. Thought I'd help kinda ease you back into the daily grind with a refresher course in the lingo you'll probably be a needin'. And for goodness sake... Stay away from all those dang holiday delights and desserts everybody that works in your office brings in to share with everybody, usually around holidays or between Monday and Friday every week. Yeah man... Nothin' like that daily dose of doughnut(s), cookies, cake, pie, fudge, brownies, soda pop and ice cream to add on a few more pounds...

Here ya go...

"Bit" ------------ A wager as in, "I bit you can't jump acrost that crick without gettin' yore feet wet."
"Byte" ---------- First of two words a hiker says when someone asks if he (or she) wants to "slackpack."
"Cursor" -------- What hikers do when their significant other says they can't go hiking.
"Digital control" - What y'all do with yore fingers when you communicate nonverbally with idiotic nonhikers.
"Floppy" -------- I'll let you decide about this'n...
"Hard drive" ---- Driving a CDT truck up and over Vail Pass (tunnel is closed) in a blizzard, at night, wishing you was back backpacking in
southern Utah.
"Keyboard" ----- Place to hang your truck keys and hikin' poles.
"LAN" ---------- To borrow as in, "Hey Mags! LAN me yore trail map."
"Modem" ------- How you got rid of them dang dandelions afore you went hiking.
"Mouse" -------- Fuzzy, soft, onest alive thing you stuff in your near empty beer bottle, early on a "zero day" in order to get a free case.
"Network" ------ Activity meant to help you catch that pesky mouse to stuff in yore beer bottle.
"Packet" -------- What you do to yore backpack afore the hike.
"Reboot" ------- What you do when yore first pair gets wore out on them trails.
"ROM" --------- Delicious when you cook it with flavored water in yore tent, hoping it don't cetch afire.
"Window" ------ That raggedy opening on yore rainfly, that got there by accident, that you hope don't leak real bad in the next storm.

OK... You're ready now.

I'm joining other WBsers who are offering their sincere congratulations, Mags. Hope it's a great job for you.

Rick

See ya!

Loneoak
03-18-2010, 23:09
One question: who is Mags ?

GGS2
03-18-2010, 23:38
Don't matter. He sucks a lot.

Monkeyboy
03-19-2010, 00:14
Every time I get a little down about my job, I'm going to take a look at this picture. BTW, these guys hiring?

I'm sure they have an "opening" for you.......:rolleyes:

A-Train
03-19-2010, 00:21
welcome back to the world of working stiffs, old boy!

The hamster wheel is just as you left it and the rats are in the race!

Carbo
03-19-2010, 09:03
That image is too funny!!

weary
03-19-2010, 09:56
One question: who is Mags ?
If you have to ask, you'll never know.

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 11:44
I need to stop readin WB while eating...

Mags
03-19-2010, 12:17
"Hard drive" ---- Driving a CDT truck up and over Vail Pass (tunnel is closed) in a blizzard, at night, wishing you was back backpacking in
southern Utah.
"

Again..thanks for all the kind words..and the ah, interesting elephant photo! :D

The above is too true from MANY fall trips in Utah. :O

As for who I am? Short, bald, makes a mess in the kitchen when I cook (ask my girlfriend), but I do cook well (ask my girlfriend) and I like to steal photos off Google image search to make people think I do outdoor stuff....

Monkeyboy
03-19-2010, 13:53
......but how do you get the stench out of your hair when you get done working???

Or do you like the smell of fresh cut hay???

Monkeyboy
03-19-2010, 13:54
And does the elephant smoke a cigarette afterwards???

Mags
03-19-2010, 14:57
......but how do you get the stench out of your hair when you get done working???

See above about being bald....

Monkeyboy
03-19-2010, 15:02
Oh........so you use a ShamWow?

sbhikes
03-19-2010, 19:12
Congratulations on your new job. I guess that means you are saving up for some more adventures, huh?

gunner76
03-19-2010, 19:21
Getting married - finding someone you can really annoy for the rest of your life.....

I retired once and my wife said I was underfoot too much and told me to get another job.

Bearpaw
03-20-2010, 09:40
Good on ya brother!

About the only down side is this might put a crimp in plans to hike the Pinhoti. ;)

flemdawg1
03-22-2010, 13:17
Good on ya brother!

About the only down side is this might put a crimp in plans to hike the Pinhoti. ;)

Beat me to it BP! Congrats, tell The Man I said HI. :D