PDA

View Full Version : the noc

tagg
03-18-2010, 13:35
does anyone know if i can buy a fuel canister for my msr superfly at the noc? i've never been there, and couldn't tell for sure by looking at their website.

Blissful
03-18-2010, 14:35
They have an outfitter, I'm sure you can. But you can call them to double check.

bigben
03-18-2010, 19:13
You could last May. I assume you still can.

Bear Cables
03-18-2010, 19:51
I know they sell MSR fuel. Is you superfly compatible with that?

Summit
03-18-2010, 21:49
All canisters have the same fitting. Yes, you can get fuel canisters at the outfitter in NOC.

Chaco Taco
03-18-2010, 21:55
Yes you can

kayak karl
03-18-2010, 21:58
were closed in jan this year. may be jan and feb next. call ahead

Chaco Taco
03-18-2010, 23:02
were closed in jan this year. may be jan and feb next. call ahead

Yes they are closed Dec-Feb

STICK
03-19-2010, 00:25
Huh, who's closed?

Summit
03-19-2010, 07:09
Having an MSR stove does not mean you should/have to use MRS canisters. Actually, I've found the MSR brand to be the worst performing of the readily available ones. Go with SNOW PEAK Giga Power canisters when you can find them and have a choice. The JetBoil brand is in between the two as far as quality and performance.

daddytwosticks
03-19-2010, 07:25
I may be wrong...its been known to happen once or twice. I do not believe the outfitter at the NOC closes in the winter. I've been there in Jan and Feb before. They tend do limit the hours during winter month. :)

Spot In The Sky
03-19-2010, 09:59
what does NOC stand for?

Chaco Taco
03-19-2010, 10:02
Nantahala Outdoor Center

Yes the outfitter closes in low winter months as well as the Rivers End Restaurant. That area out there is pretty remote and not much activity.

Summit
03-19-2010, 20:03
I may be wrong...its been known to happen once or twice. I do not believe the outfitter at the NOC closes in the winter. I've been there in Jan and Feb before. They tend do limit the hours during winter month. :)My wife and I were there 2 years ago and browsed the Outfitters, ate at the River's End on Feb 19th.

kayak karl
03-19-2010, 20:10
My wife and I were there 2 years ago and browsed the Outfitters, ate at the River's End on Feb 19th.
i was there 1/15/09 and all was open., but this year they we're closed winter months. economy hurts all. they said i could make an appointment to buy kayak gear. who knows.

Roland
03-19-2010, 20:12
Here's what their website says:

Winter Hours for River's End Restaurant:
Sunday–Thursday, 11am–3pm
Friday–Saturday, 11am–6pm

River's End Restaurant will be Closed:
Monday, Jan. 4 through Jan. 30, 2010
Click here to view our menu (http://www.noc.com/images/Summer09_RE_Menu_web.pdf)

Complete info here. (http://www.noc.com/dine-with-us/rivers-end-restaurant/)

STICK
03-19-2010, 22:02
Yes, any of the fuel types will work as long as it uses the Lindal valve, which most canisters do. MSR, Jetboil, and Snowpeak Gigapower are some more widely known ones. I have used all 3. Honestly, they all seem the same to me, but I am not a big stove nerd (meant in a good way~I will be eventually), so I can't tell you that much about them. From what I have read this is what I can tell you: MSR isn't as well as the others and the Jetboil usually has a lightly less amount of fuel while the Giga usually has a slightly larger amount of fuel and supposedly burns better, even in cold weather. This is just from what I've read other people said.
In my opinion, you will get better boils in a 8 oz can rather than a 4 oz can, this is the only difference it seems that I can tell, and this may not be for sure. The stove just seems to burn better with the larger canister attached.

Tagg, what size canister are you bringing with you for your hike? I am taking a 4 oz with me on my hike in May and don't plan on needing another, my wife will bring another with her just in case I need it by the time I get to NOC.

kayak karl
03-19-2010, 22:35
Here's what their website says:

Winter Hours for River's End Restaurant:
Sunday–Thursday, 11am–3pm
Friday–Saturday, 11am–6pm

River's End Restaurant will be Closed:
Monday, Jan. 4 through Jan. 30, 2010
Click here to view our menu (http://www.noc.com/images/Summer09_RE_Menu_web.pdf)

Complete info here. (http://www.noc.com/dine-with-us/rivers-end-restaurant/)
i was referring to store, but if this poster isn't doing a winter hike, it really don't matter.

Summit
03-20-2010, 15:26
Yes, any of the fuel types will work as long as it uses the Lindal valve, which most canisters do. MSR, Jetboil, and Snowpeak Gigapower are some more widely known ones. I have used all 3. Honestly, they all seem the same to me, but I am not a big stove nerd (meant in a good way~I will be eventually), so I can't tell you that much about them. From what I have read this is what I can tell you: MSR isn't as well as the others and the Jetboil usually has a lightly less amount of fuel while the Giga usually has a slightly larger amount of fuel and supposedly burns better, even in cold weather. This is just from what I've read other people said.
In my opinion, you will get better boils in a 8 oz can rather than a 4 oz can, this is the only difference it seems that I can tell, and this may not be for sure. The stove just seems to burn better with the larger canister attached.I agree completely (as stated in post above that Snow Peak is best). Also I will add that the larger 8 oz cans fare better in cold weather than the 4 oz ones. When the temps drop into the teens, I usually set my canister within reach of my sleeping bag and upon awakening, pop it into the sleeping bag for a few minutes.

tagg
03-22-2010, 11:34
Tagg, what size canister are you bringing with you for your hike? I am taking a 4 oz with me on my hike in May and don't plan on needing another, my wife will bring another with her just in case I need it by the time I get to NOC.

STICK - i'm planning on carrying an 8oz can for the week since i'll be boiling water for two. when i went in september, it was my first time with the stove for more than a night and i had no idea how much to bring, so i carried two 8oz cans. i felt like a complete dumba$$ when i got home and pulled one and half unused cans of gas out of the bottom of my pack, but i guess you live and you learn. i'm hoping one 8oz can will last for a week since we will only be boiling for freezer bag cooking, but i just wanted to make sure they sell cannisters at the noc in case i'm starting to run low when we get there. when it was just me in september, one 4oz can would have been plenty. of course, i was only using it for dinner because i figured out that snickers bars make a good breakfast.

Summit
03-22-2010, 16:08
One 8 oz. can for two should be perfect as long as you're not doing a lot of simmer cooking, which you stated you aren't. When I did the Foothills Trail (week - 75 miles) I ran into two ladies who where carrying 4 - 8 oz. cans between them. They begged me to take one which I did. They actually wanted me to take a couple but I declined the second one. :)

tagg
03-22-2010, 16:33
One 8 oz. can for two should be perfect as long as you're not doing a lot of simmer cooking, which you stated you aren't. When I did the Foothills Trail (week - 75 miles) I ran into two ladies who where carrying 4 - 8 oz. cans between them. They begged me to take one which I did. They actually wanted me to take a couple but I declined the second one. :)

thanks summit, i feel a little better knowing i'm not alone. i met a ridgerunner at plumorchard shelter my next to last night on that trip, and was telling her that i had learned a lot about what not to take next time. as an example, i pulled out both cannisters and set them on the table in front of her. she was nice enough not to laugh directly in my face, but wasn't as kind as you when i asked her if she wanted to take one of mine.