PDA

View Full Version : Why do/did you Thru-Hike?

David@whiteblaze
03-18-2010, 14:44
I posted a thread earlier with a misleading header... So, for what reason does the idea of thru-hiking stick in my head for no apparent reason? I didn't even know backpacking existed or what it was called until I walked into the woods in Shenandoa N.P. on the trail and said I wanted to hike it... so why did you decide to do it?

Terry7
03-18-2010, 16:52
Adventure!

Ender
03-18-2010, 17:06
When I was a kid, maybe 7 or 8 years old, my family took a trip to Nova Scotia. On the way we passed by Katahdin, and my father told me about the Appalachian Trail, and I said I would like to hike the whole thing. Fast forward to the summer after my first year of college... having been in the boy scouts and having friends and family who liked being outdoors, I had grown up loving being outdoors as well. That summer myself and another friend took a week long trip on the AT in CT. Another friend tagged along. During the trip I said to them how I used to want to hike the whole AT and still kinda did. They responded that I should, and I realized they were right. Fast forward to the summer after college and I'm on the trail.

And five years after that I quit my job to go and attempt the PCT (which I got injured and had to pull off).

Now I'm just waiting for fortune open up my calendar again to I can get back out there.

David@whiteblaze
03-18-2010, 17:10
So, ENder, Would you suggest a year-early graduation, followed by a 2-year Back-to-Back Thru of the ECT a good choice for me? It would create a year late entry into college, but a really great "vacation". It has been suggested that a book be written (as this will be the first attemt of a back-to-back) and it sounds as though it might supplement my existence until I can find a job and house...

David@whiteblaze
03-18-2010, 17:11
(About the graduation, being homeschooled, I can pack 4 years of learning into 3, not so much dropping out...

Spokes
03-18-2010, 18:26
The 3 most popular reasons people give for hiking the AT are:
1- Retirement
2- Graduation/Loss of Job (life change situation)
3- Divorce

-Nuff said

Chaco Taco
03-18-2010, 18:31
Why not????:cool:

Blissful
03-18-2010, 19:12
The 3 most popular reasons people give for hiking the AT are:
1- Retirement
2- Graduation/Loss of Job (life change situation)
3- Divorce

-Nuff said

I'd say these areas provide opportunities to make a go of the hike, not the reason one decides to trudge 2,000 miles. I mean my job changed to give me the opportunity to do it this year, but it is certainly not the reason I am leaving civilization and hiking 2,000 miles. There are a lot deeper reasons to make such a journey

Ender
03-18-2010, 21:29
So, ENder, Would you suggest a year-early graduation, followed by a 2-year Back-to-Back Thru of the ECT a good choice for me? It would create a year late entry into college, but a really great "vacation". It has been suggested that a book be written (as this will be the first attemt of a back-to-back) and it sounds as though it might supplement my existence until I can find a job and house...

Well, the most honest answer would be... if it's right for you. However, I think it sounds like a great thing to do, and entering college one year later will make little difference anyway, so if it's right for you I say go for it.