PDA

View Full Version : mind blowing loop hikes?

neighbor dave
03-18-2010, 14:46
out west, this summer, two weeks,150 to 200 mile range, dudes fit, has hiked the A.T.
i guess prefferably where he wouldn't need a bunch of permits, fairly easy logistically, (maybe even public transport accessible, but not an absolute necessity) in the mountains, as opposed to hot dry desert.
any suggestions, all are welcome?

Blissful
03-18-2010, 19:13
I've heard great things about the Wonderland trail around Mt Rainier.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2010, 19:49
I've wanted to do the Tahoe Rim Trail but I think it's only 100, maybe 120 miles. I believe you could get public transportation.

Feral Bill
03-18-2010, 19:56
Eagle Cap Wilderness in eastern Oregon. A big network of trails offers plenty of loop options. Regulations are not too bad, no set campsites/itineraries. Horsey, and can be hot, even up high.

Bear Cables
03-18-2010, 19:58
I think there is a shuttle to Tahoe from Reno but if not maybe an inexpensive rental car. It's an easy drive from the airport to Tahoe. About 1 1/2 hours

garlic08
03-18-2010, 20:50
Ditto the Wonderland Trail. Only 93 miles, but 23,000' of elevation gain. It is hard to get to without a car. Permit needed, but easy enough to get as a walk-in.

Shutterbug
03-18-2010, 23:58
out west, this summer, two weeks,150 to 200 mile range, dudes fit, has hiked the A.T.
i guess prefferably where he wouldn't need a bunch of permits, fairly easy logistically, (maybe even public transport accessible, but not an absolute necessity) in the mountains, as opposed to hot dry desert.
any suggestions, all are welcome?

Assuming that 97 miles isn't enough, you can add Mt. Rainer's Northern Loop Trail -- an additional 35 miles. The elevation gain will make up for the shorter miles. If you do both the Wonderland and the Northern Loop Trail the elevation gain will be 28,000 feet.

If you are interested, here is a link to my photo album from my first hike of the Wonderland Trail -- http://picasaweb.google.com/shutterbug.dave/WonderlandTrailSept2001#

Feral Bill
03-19-2010, 00:07
I assumed the Wonderland Trail was out because of the permit system. I personally love the WT and it is indeed mind blowing. Dave's pictures pretty much tell the tale.

neighbor dave
03-19-2010, 06:35
thanks to everyone for their responses so far.
what about loops in the wind river range, or coloracky??

Spirit Walker
03-19-2010, 08:30
The Wind River range is terrific. Another great option for loop hikes is the Beartooth Range. It's alpine high country. Yellowstone and Glacier have a lot of possibilities too, though they are more regulated. The San Juans in southern Colorado are challenging but beautiful.

sixhusbands
03-19-2010, 09:11
There is the Pemi' Loop in the Whites that most folks take 3 or 4 days to complete. The real challenge is to do it all (31.5 miles, 8 "4000" ft peaks and 9000 ft of elevation gain) in just one day! The record is 7 hours 5 min. I did the route this past year in just under 18 hours, we started at 3 AM and saw the sunrise on BondCliff but the last few hours coming off of Flume in the dark were the toughest.
Plan this trip on a clear day so you can fully appreciate most of the hike that is above the treeline.

garlic08
03-19-2010, 09:47
thanks to everyone for their responses so far.
what about loops in the wind river range, or coloracky??

"Mind blowing" loops of the quality and length of the Wonderland Trail are a little hard to come by out West. The Winds, for instance, are traversed by one long highline trail with good access trails along its length, but a loop of more than 100 miles (there is a parallel trail for a shorter distance) would require lots of low sage desert road walking. Same in Colorado--the Weminuche and South San Juan Wilderness are mind blowing, but it's pretty much a one-way deal. There are some 30 and 40-mile possibilities, but to make a large loop, you're either on pavement, way off trail in very tough country, or both.

And just because a trail shows up on your map, that doesn't mean it's there. For example, a few years ago I managed to make an 80-mile loop around the Gore Range near Vail, and it was tough going. The USGS topo map shows a "Gore Range Trail" on the east side, but it's not maintained and essentially gone between major trailheads near the highway. It was an epic trip, but not mind blowing. More work than fun. Plus I had to hike through the Vail town and ski areas, and cross I-70 twice, to hook up the "Commando Run" ski route which is off-trail in spots, but I knew the route from winter travel. And since then, the beetle kill has probably worsened the conditions there considerably.

It'll be hard to beat the Wonderland Trail for a loop hike. The ranger who gave me my walk-in permit said they never turn away a walk-in who's flexible enough to accept an occasional short or long day. They keep 25% of the spots open. They can always get you on the mountain. I went in September and got my first choice, no problem--took about five minutes. Shutterbug's suggestion of adding the Northern Loop is a great one, too. I wish I'd have known about it before I met people hiking it.

DavidNH
03-19-2010, 09:51
this loop hike has been written up in Backpacker magazine. Definitely on of my life list dream hikes to do someday!

David