PDA

View Full Version : Trailheads near Baltimore?

trailangelbronco
03-18-2010, 15:21
I have to be at a conference in Baltimore June 15th-17th, and was thinking of taking a few vacation days and hiking part of the AT in Maryland or Penn. I haven't been on the AT for a long time, so this is a pretty exciting opportunity for me.

Where would be the best place for a 40-50 mile section hike with Bus ride to/from Baltimore? Or, are there even any trailheads on a bus route? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't get back east very often so I hope to get some miles in. I'm hoping to leave the conference on the afternoon of the 17th and catch a bus near/to a trailhead and then catch a bus to/near the Baltimore trailhead.

jdb
03-18-2010, 16:19
I 70 in Frederick is the closest trilhead near Baltimore. Another thing you can do is catch a ride to the Mason Dixon line (PA) and hike SB through Maryland to Harpers Ferry WV (40 miles). From there you can catch the train back to DC/Baltimore.

It's a nice hike with some great views along the way.

DrRichardCranium
03-18-2010, 17:04
There are other places to hike (not on the AT) that are closer to Baltimore.

trailangelbronco
03-18-2010, 17:56
I 70 in Frederick is the closest trilhead near Baltimore. Another thing you can do is catch a ride to the Mason Dixon line (PA) and hike SB through Maryland to Harpers Ferry WV (40 miles). From there you can catch the train back to DC/Baltimore.

It's a nice hike with some great views along the way.

Thanks! The train in Harpers Ferry is good news, I can probably find a ride to PenMar. Sounds like a nice 3 day hike leaving time to stop and gawk.