PDA

View Full Version : 2010 pct sobo

naturejunkie
03-19-2010, 10:44
Okay, so I was originally planning a NOBO PCT hike this year, but the timing just didn't work out. The timing is working out for a hike beginning in June or July, so I had decided to do a SOBO AT hike instead. However, as I understand snow reports, this may be the ideal year for a PCT SOBO hike.

Under normal conditions I would not consider a PCT SOBO hike. I'm just not a huge fan of hiking in significant snow, so I try to avoid it if possible. But, if I understand the snow reports correctly, the snow totals in Cali and Washington are creating essentially ideal conditions for a successful SOBO hike. So, now I am torn and am looking for some sincere advice/analysis from those who know the PCT.

1. Assuming the snow fall remains consistent through the Spring (especially in Washington) has the window for a SOBO hike expanded?

2. Aside from the isolation/loneliness/lack of trail culture, if the snow is Washington remains far below average, are there any significant drawbacks to a SOBO hike?

3. If you had this window (June-Dec), this year, what would push you toward/away from a PCT SOBO vs. AT SOBO?

Thanks all!
Chris

d.o.c
03-19-2010, 10:50
I have been questioning this exact thing i wanna thru this year but the things look like i have to sobo idk what to do ha

Moose2001
03-19-2010, 12:57
Hi NJ....can't actually say I've done a southbound PCT hike. Mine in 2006, and this year, will be Northbound. As far as "significant drawbacks to a SOBO hike", I think you've identified one of the biggest.....isolation. The year I hiked, we passed 4 southbounders. 2 were a couple. That's a long way, all by yourself.

Other problems? Snow in the Sierras. You need to keep a steady pace to get through before the snow sets in for the year. I wouldn't want to be hiking in the sierras, by myself!

Also....water in Southern CA. Going North in the spring, many of the water sources are flowing. Probably won't be the case going south. You could be packing large amounts of water for long distances.

Speaking of snow....yeah.....so it's a low snow year in WA. Don't for a minute think that means you won't be doing a large amount of hiking on snow! If you haven't hiked those mountains, you might be surprised by what you find in July. Also....don't forget the snow in the San Jacintos in southern CA. You'll need to get over them before you get snowed in as well.

Challenges? Yeah. Can you deal with them? Only you can answer that.

Moose2001
03-19-2010, 13:00
I meant to say......I wouldn't want to be hiking in the sierras in a winter storm, by myself!

My fingers always work faster than my brain!

leaftye
03-19-2010, 13:07
Water is a big deal. I would put together a good list of trail angels to contact so you can ask them if they would replenish or create water caches when you pass by.

sbhikes
03-19-2010, 19:36
Snow in the Sierras and Southern California in the fall shouldn't be a big problem for a southbound hike. Through October things are usually pretty storm-free.

Even though they haven't had much snow in Washington, I kind of wonder if "not much snow" means the same thing to them as "it's a sunny day." Anyway, if it really isn't much snow, then this would be a great year for a sobo trip because the creeks are high in So Cal so you're likely to have decent water in the fall.

But if you decide it sounds too lonely or whatever, why not split the hike up. Start where you would have been if you'd started in April/May and then flip down and complete the remainder after you reach the Canadian border.

fiddlehead
03-19-2010, 20:06
I hiked much of WA SOBO in 2002 in late July, early August.
There was still snow in the ravines (alluvials as they are called in the guidebook) that you must cross while traversing.
This is very slippery and hard in the morning.
I would carry an ice ax if I were you.

Besides that, you will have the occasional route finding problems when there will be patches of snow covering the trail in shady and north side of the mountain areas.

You probably won't see many people (that's a plus IMO) although I know for a fact a friend of mine who NOBO'd the trail last year but got snowed out in WA will be out there in July finishing.

I'd wear sunglasses. You'll be heading into it all the time.

I think it would be a great hike if you are correct in your assumption that there won't be much snow.
Not sure about WA but I know CO gets much of their snow in March/April so, it's not a done deal yet.

Good luck.

Jonnycat
03-20-2010, 08:45
Water is a big deal. I would put together a good list of trail angels to contact so you can ask them if they would replenish or create water caches when you pass by.

That's not being very self sufficient now, is it?

leaftye
03-20-2010, 11:13
That's not being very self sufficient now, is it?

Haven't been to Socal in the fall have you?

Jonnycat
03-20-2010, 14:40
Sorry leafy, I'm not going to argue with your strawman.

TBevan
03-20-2010, 21:23
We're (my gf and I) going southbound this year. You won't be entirely alone!
We'll be leaving around the 15th of June.

Shoot me an email if you want.
[email protected]

TBevan
03-20-2010, 21:29
Hi NJ....can't actually say I've done a southbound PCT hike. Mine in 2006, and this year, will be Northbound. As far as "significant drawbacks to a SOBO hike", I think you've identified one of the biggest.....isolation. The year I hiked, we passed 4 southbounders. 2 were a couple. That's a long way, all by yourself.

Other problems? Snow in the Sierras. You need to keep a steady pace to get through before the snow sets in for the year. I wouldn't want to be hiking in the sierras, by myself!

Also....water in Southern CA. Going North in the spring, many of the water sources are flowing. Probably won't be the case going south. You could be packing large amounts of water for long distances.

Speaking of snow....yeah.....so it's a low snow year in WA. Don't for a minute think that means you won't be doing a large amount of hiking on snow! If you haven't hiked those mountains, you might be surprised by what you find in July. Also....don't forget the snow in the San Jacintos in southern CA. You'll need to get over them before you get snowed in as well.

Challenges? Yeah. Can you deal with them? Only you can answer that.

Yeah, but how many NOBO's did they pass? Maybe enough to not feel so alone.

A-Train
03-20-2010, 22:39
Yeah, but how many NOBO's did they pass? Maybe enough to not feel so alone.

yeah but the window is so small on the PCT that you'll meet all the NOBO's in a 2 week span.

The wildfires in socal can be a serious challenge too

TBevan
03-21-2010, 01:09
I used to live in SoCal....seems that wildfires are a challenge to everyone and not just hikers lol
We had them come pretty close before.

leaftye
03-21-2010, 01:29
The wildfires in socal can be a serious challenge too

That has me thinking. With all the rain we got this winter, we could have a lot of dry grass and shrubs out here in the fall. Hopefully we get rain later in the season to reduce the risk of fire, and also to help sobo hikers find natural sources of water.

naturejunkie
03-22-2010, 10:46
Thanks everyone for your input. Right now I am waffling pretty hard back and forth. I think I'll keep an eye on the snow totals through the Spring and just give some more thought to what kind of hike I am looking for this year. Thanks again! Cheers, Chris

TBevan
04-03-2010, 23:45
Still going SOBO?

bealjr85
04-07-2010, 12:46
Add two more to the tally- me and my buddy are planning a SOBO starting July 5th. I hope the tally doesn't get too high... it seems like this year there's a lot of talk of southbounding!

TBevan
04-18-2010, 23:38
Harrisonburg, VA......did you go to JMU? I'm from Hampton and knew tons of people that went there.

Anyway, we're still on for our sobo hike....just bought our plane tickets to Vancouver and bus tickets down to Manning Park!

bealjr85
04-25-2010, 18:31
I'm from Newport News and yes, I did go to JMU! Great area to go to school if you enjoy the outdoors.

TBevan
04-28-2010, 00:45
That's cool. Hope to see you guys out on the trail.....or not. Since we're starting a few weeks earlier lol

dbagnall
05-07-2010, 14:50
I am SOBO this year as well. starting around 6/20 (watching the snow levels this spring before I commit to a date). Hope to see you all out there.

Pat James
06-15-2010, 04:11
Hey Folks, I'll be heading out the morning of June 20th from Manning Park, Campo bound! Planned, Prepped, Prepared, Hope to see you on the trail, Cheers:)

Marty_Mcfly
09-10-2010, 19:31
I think its odd that all these people from VIRGINIA are posting about a SOBO PCT thru hike. I am looking into doing one of these next year due to school and time constraints. Hope everyone will keep me updated on how it goes. Francis Tapon has lots of information regarding south bound thru hikes.

- Marty

leaftye
09-10-2010, 19:57
I used to live in SoCal....seems that wildfires are a challenge to everyone and not just hikers lol
We had them come pretty close before.

I have to wonder how closures will affect them after the fires are out. Everyone watches out for the north bounders and tries for find alternate routes in time. Is there any incentive to do the same for the few south bounders with any new closures? One example I'm thinking of already is right next to the border. We had a fire that appears to have crossed the PCT a few miles south of Lake Morena. There's not really a good way around without walking on private property.

I also want to know about the snow. I'd love to hike up to Big Bear later this year. Will the trail be snow-free enough to allow me to stay on the trail? I couldn't this spring, although my detour was probably no more than 100 yards to the side of the trail at any given time....oops, I forgot about one wrong turn that would have been intentional if I had been thinking.

I sure hope someone is putting out caches. It can be 2-3 days between water sources right now if the caches are empty. Even more if some of the other water resources haven't been filled by the fire department. Artificial water resources are a must unless you're willing to take some long detours to tank up at bigger creeks and a couple lakes. Still though, if I'm able to get out there for a hike myself later this year, I'll be placing a couple caches between the border and Idyllwild. If there are sobo hikers that want to share, contact me and I'll let you know if I'm able to put water out there and where to find it.

sideshow09
02-20-2011, 13:39
I'm ready to go SoBo starting mid june as well. Anyone have an interest in starting a PCT SoBo 2011 Contact List?

Sky 'Sideshow' Horne
(828) 619 - 0038
[email protected]
Living near Asheville, NC

http://thirtysixer.com/