PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for my 4-day hike in GA??

mumblez
03-19-2010, 10:44
So my father and I are planning a 4-day hike leaving from Neels Gap at the end of April. It will be 4-days, 3-nights and we are hoping to finish most of Georgia. Last year we did Springer Mountain to Neels Gap in 3 days, but it was pretty tough and this time we want the hike to be a little easier.

Can anyone who has hiked this part of the trail suggest what mileage would be reasonable and what spots are especially worth spending the night at along this section of the A.T.?

We would like to do Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap, that way we can be picked up easily by our friend on US76. Is this a reasonable goal, considering our previous hike? Thanks in advance!

Praha4
03-19-2010, 10:51
last time I did that hike, I took it fairly easy, didn't push the daily distances. camping at blue mtn and tray mtn shelters gives you a good view too

day 1: neels gap to low gap shelter
day 2: low gap shelter to blue mtn shelter
day 3: blue mtn shelter to tray mtn shelter
day 4: tray mtn shelter to dicks crk gap

butts0989
03-19-2010, 12:14
the part you did last year was one of the harder parts of the trail in the south, the unexpected rolling hills will really kill you. the itinerary above is a great hike. very easy goin, good views, and reasonable distances. plus you end the hike with a 3-4 mile all downhill walk. the trail is real wet right now, so plan your footwear accordingly. this section is a lot more gradual with its mtns. (excluding rocky mtn. and kelly's knob). tray mtn. has a great view as well as a great shelter. you would most likely be able to go shelterless, that is planning on the thru hiker frequency to decrease by the end of april. if so you could hike a bit easier with some lighter weight than you're used to.

mumblez
03-20-2010, 22:14
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of doing the 4-day trip that Praha4 listed, but now we might end up doing only 3-days instead. I would like to end the trip at a road so that we can easily be picked up. So we could hike about 25 miles in 3 days and get off the trail at USFS 79/698. I was wondering if anyone has been on this road, is it easy to find and is there parking where it intersects with the trail?

For the 3-day trip
Day 1: Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter
Day 2: Low Gap to Blue Mountain Shelter
Day 3: Blue Mountain to USFS 79/698

butts0989
03-22-2010, 11:10
are you talking about the road at the base of tray mtn.? if you're talking about 75/17, thats a really easy parking lot to get to at unicoi gap. the other can driven to, just not that easily. i got there using google maps but its pretty intricate once to get off the main road.