PDA

View Full Version : I need a Camcorder suggestion

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 14:06
I am planning on video-documenting my thruhike(s) and need a good, high-quality, less than 3-pound total, semi-shock resistant, tripod/gorrillapod mountable camcorder, can anyone point me in the right direction?

V Eight
03-19-2010, 15:01
A guy at work has one of these

http://store.theflip.com/UltraHD.aspx

I know he really likes it, but I do not know
If it will fit your requirements.

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 15:24
well, I am not good at holding aything like that steady unless it has a standard shape and strap.

Mrs Baggins
03-19-2010, 16:01
We bought this for our daughter's wedding last summer.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Handycam+Digital+Camcorder+with+80GB+Hard+Disk+Dr ive+and+2.7%22+LCD+Monitor+-+Blue/9738635.p?id=1218164387091&skuId=9738635

Got it on sale for just under $300 at the time. Fits in the palm of my (small) hand, extremely easy to use, has a tripod mount, excellent quality video and audio, takes the Memory Stick Pro Duo cards (very small). We found an 8 GB card held just about 4 hours of video. It does go through the battery in about 2 hours, so we have a spare as well as the wall mount charger for it so we don't have to use the power cord. (those things - the memory cards, extra battery and wall mount charger are all extras that I bought on Amazon rather than pay store prices).

Ender
03-19-2010, 16:03
I would suggest getting a point&shoot camera with video capabilities. Preferably HD video capabilities. That way you aren't carrying to separate devices.

Mrs Baggins
03-19-2010, 16:17
I would suggest getting a point&shoot camera with video capabilities. Preferably HD video capabilities. That way you aren't carrying to separate devices.

The Sony camcorder does do still shots. The problem I've found with using a point and shoot is that the video function eats up the memory card way too fast and you're limited to the number of minutes most of them will do one video - like 3 minutes for each one. This camcorder is so small and light that it really would not be a problem to carry it as well as a small, lightweight digital camera. He said he wants to do a video documentary so he probably does need a regular camcorder as well as a still shot camera. :-?

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 16:17
We bought this for our daughter's wedding last summer.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Handycam+Digital+Camcorder+with+80GB+Hard+Disk+Dr ive+and+2.7%22+LCD+Monitor+-+Blue/9738635.p?id=1218164387091&skuId=9738635

Got it on sale for just under $300 at the time. Fits in the palm of my (small) hand, extremely easy to use, has a tripod mount, excellent quality video and audio, takes the Memory Stick Pro Duo cards (very small). We found an 8 GB card held just about 4 hours of video. It does go through the battery in about 2 hours, so we have a spare as well as the wall mount charger for it so we don't have to use the power cord. (those things - the memory cards, extra battery and wall mount charger are all extras that I bought on Amazon rather than pay store prices).
Well, I might just have to find a sale coupon sometime if you/ they like it that much....

I'v gone back and forth on this issue, and seeing as how there are multiple free programs that can "steal" images off of a video, and every reasonably priced camera that has video capability has very poor video or camera capability I decided to just find a high-quality camcorder...

Jofish
03-19-2010, 16:33
2 guys did a thru of the CDT:
http://www.made-in-england.org/videos/cdt/

and used this HD video camera:
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hdd-avchd-hard-disk-drive/hdr-sr12e

Jester2000
03-19-2010, 16:34
If you're going to do anything more than post clips on Youtube, you should carry a video camera and a still camera. Video cameras take bad still shots, and still cameras take pretty bad video, regardless of what they claim. And if you're shooting enough video to make a documentary, you'd have to carry a pantload of batteries for the still camera.

I prefer a camera that doesn't store video on an internal Hard Drive. My video camera's media is mini-DV tapes. My thinking is that if the camera is ever dropped in a steam/dropped off a cliff/dropped in a toilet, the most video I'll lose will be one hour.

But then again, I don't worry so much about weight. I bought a 10 hour battery that's pretty heavy, so my priority obviously isn't minimizing weight.

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 16:41
If you're going to do anything more than post clips on Youtube, you should carry a video camera and a still camera. Video cameras take bad still shots, and still cameras take pretty bad video, regardless of what they claim. And if you're shooting enough video to make a documentary, you'd have to carry a pantload of batteries for the still camera.

I prefer a camera that doesn't store video on an internal Hard Drive. My video camera's media is mini-DV tapes. My thinking is that if the camera is ever dropped in a steam/dropped off a cliff/dropped in a toilet, the most video I'll lose will be one hour.

But then again, I don't worry so much about weight. I bought a 10 hour battery that's pretty heavy, so my priority obviously isn't minimizing weight. And on that note, maybe I should look at my dad's camera....

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 16:43
strike that, it's kinda fuzzy...

Jester2000
03-19-2010, 16:51
I would imagine it's going to be hard to find reasonably priced mini-DV cameras. As the general populace loves the idea of internal memory, the cameras that take mini-DVs are going to be high end cameras that pros use, which will probably run in the $2000-$3000 range, although you can probably still find Sony HDR-HC9 MiniDV cameras (still pretty expensive -- $900 or so).

fiddlehead
03-19-2010, 20:37
I agree with whoever it was that said the newer point and shoot cameras take HD video also.
Point is: the mini DV video cameras of the past have motors inside. These motors go bad when they get damp/wet/humid conditions. I have 4 of them here that either don't work or have problems related to this.
However, the newer point and shoot cameras don't have these moving parts (except the lens retracting) and handle wet conditions so much better.
Someone also said that the memory cards can fill up fast.
This is true but the tradeoff to me is still leaning towards not breaking your camera vs. having more video.
Better to either buy a bunch of big cards, and send them to someone who can store the info and send them back, or be very careful in your shot selection.
Don't use video to pan a view, use a still and then use software to pan across it. Much steadier and just as good.
Don't go for the views so much. Save your shooting for camp, interesting areas (fire towers, shelters, historical spots, steep climbs/descents, etc.
My first video thru--hike, i took 17 hours of video and edited down to 40 minutes.
My next one, I took 5 hours and ended up with 40 minutes of finished product.

Good luck. Use a tripod whenever you can also. (too much film is unusable because i didn't)

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 21:05
well, I decided against using dv because I feel that the capacity of a 8-gb micro sd surpasses weight for the tapes, I just need to focus on finding a really good-quality $400- camcorder that isn't too heavy, because I feel like the video hours will be up in the 200+- range. I can get a light good quality camera later on (the size and quality get better every year)

fiddlehead
03-19-2010, 21:29
I saw a SOBO'er last year using this one: Panasonic Lumix dmc fz28
He took some video of our band and gave it to me.
It was very good quality.
The camera was quite big though.
I can't edit HD so, my next purchase is a computer that will. But this would be one that I would seriously consider.
Good luck.

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 21:49
well, like I said, I need to take video without the aid of a tripod at points, and your friend probably used a solid object to film a band...

fiddlehead
03-19-2010, 22:10
I don't think he had a tripod that night.
But he was pretty good at steadying it.
Try holding it near your waist or stomach to hold it steadier but there is always a difference (better) when using a tripod or prop it on a rock or something.
I'd check out those tiny tripods with the flexible legs. They are fairly lightweight.

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 22:13
I think you are reffering to the gorrillapod, and I am planning on getting one to use along with the camera mount on my hiking pole.

Miner
03-20-2010, 14:25
I carried a Canon HF S100 camcorder on the PCT last year with great results. Its a flash based camcorder (no moving parts and uses less power then tape or harddrive based camcorders). You can't go wrong with any of the Canon HF models. Sony also makes some nice small models though I despise their proprietary flash memory cards that I can't use in anything non-sony.

Get a unit that is flash memory based as there are no moving parts and they use less power then harddrive or tape based units. Make sure it has an optical stabilzier to help steady hand held shots. Add a circular polarizer. As the mics on camcorders aren't the best and they pick up wind noise, you may consider getting a small lav mic such as the Audio-Technica ATR3350 to get cleaner audio when recorder yourself or interviewing someone else.

Miner
03-20-2010, 14:32
I forgot to mention still shots. Not all camcorders take crappy photos. I have 2 camcorders. My older camcorder only takes 2.2megapixel photos that are just ok in quality. My Canon HF S100 takes 8megapixel shots that were as good as many p&s cameras. I took 3000 photos in addion to the numerous hours of video. I used photoshop CS4 and made more then 200 panoramic photos that were good enough to use to pan across in my editting software. Its hard to do a smooth pan without a fluid head tripod, but its easy to do one across a photo in software. It will look good as long as there isn't anything in the photo that should be moving like water or a person or its obviously a photo.

Sleepy the Arab
03-20-2010, 17:41

Why are you bringing your camera to the toilet in the first place?

You know what? Don't answer that. Please, please, for the love of God, do not answer that.

tothetrail
03-23-2010, 00:22
I am planning on video-documenting my thruhike(s) and need a good, high-quality, less than 3-pound total, semi-shock resistant, tripod/gorrillapod mountable camcorder, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Not sure if this camera has a tri pod adapter, but we've had it in canyons in Zion, mounted on helmets in the sand dunes in California, on x-country ski trips, through waterfalls, everywhere, and it takes really good video. Plus, it's only 6 ounces, including the battery and waterproof housing.

I'm actually getting rid of all my other camcorder equipment while it's still worth something, because this little camera is so good. We just hang it around our necks, so it can be passed around so everyone can get video and be in the shots. I have the original one and just got the HD version, wow, this camera is nice. If you want to see some you tube videos of some of our trips, using the original version, look up "Canyoneering Seven Teacups" in August 2009 or "Heaps Canyon Canyoneering May 2009."

I have absolutely no affiliation with this company, I just love this thing. The only limiting factor for you may be card size or battery life, not sure what you require.

tothetrail
03-23-2010, 00:29
Not sure if this camera has a tri pod adapter, but we've had it in canyons in Zion, mounted on helmets in the sand dunes in California, on x-country ski trips, through waterfalls, everywhere, and it takes really good video. Plus, it's only 6 ounces, including the battery and waterproof housing.

I'm actually getting rid of all my other camcorder equipment while it's still worth something, because this little camera is so good. We just hang it around our necks, so it can be passed around so everyone can get video and be in the shots. I have the original one and just got the HD version, wow, this camera is nice. If you want to see some you tube videos of some of our trips, using the original version, look up "Canyoneering Seven Teacups" in August 2009 or "Heaps Canyon Canyoneering May 2009."

I have absolutely no affiliation with this company, I just love this thing. The only limiting factor for you may be card size or battery life, not sure what you require.

The company is GoPro

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=29

Tennessee Viking
03-23-2010, 10:19
I would suggest getting a DVD or miniDV tape camcorder . Though I would lean more toward DVD since you can pack them a bit more tightly though they can only hold short of 30 minutes of high quality video. HDD are nice, and pack easy since they don't need tapes. Problem is that you need to find a computer to download the videos to in order to extract them. And they have more moving parts, so a shacky pack will end up ruining the camcorder eventually.

Stay away from cheap brands. Go with good quality brands like Sony, Canon, Panasonic, JVC,....Something with the largest optical zoom if you can find one. Digital Stabilization is good, but optical is best. Night vision/low light recording if you want to shoot at night. Widescreen or HD recording will also be a plus.

David@whiteblaze
03-26-2010, 12:42
@tothetrail, it says on the website:

Storage

Memory: SD card, up to 32GB capacity (SDHC)
Average recording times (using 32GB SD card):

1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m
960p (30 fps): 5h 26m
720p (60 fps): 4h 21
720p (30 fps): 8h 09m
WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m

Does this refer to the battery's lonevity or capacity of the card? I know thet hi-cap. cards are rather pricey, and buying several is kind of budget-breaking.

Miner
03-27-2010, 01:13
They refer to how much memory is needed for the various video modes. The camcorder's battery will last an equal amount of time no matter what mode you are recording in. The max quality settings on my Canon Camcorder gave about 3.5hrs per 32GB card which was about the same time as the largest battery I could buy for it.

There is a new flash memory card standard out there called SDXC that will allow larger sizes then 32GB. A few of the new camcorders coming out will support it.

But for those of us living now, buying several 32GB cards isn't that cheap. When I hiked the PCT last summer, I had a 500GB USB external harddrive that I copied my SDHC cards to in town. All you need is a public computer that will allow you to plug a USB cardreader and a USB harddrive in so you can copy the files between them. If you have a bounce box, you can leave the harddrive in it (what I did). Another method is to send 1 card home to a friend/family to copy it for you and then mail it back to you. You use a spare card or two while its in the mail.

David@whiteblaze
03-28-2010, 08:28
hmm, well that's alright then... i plan on getting the HD Hero Naked and then getting the tripod mount, and (when they come out) extra li-ion batteries and the wrist mount.

tothetrail
03-30-2010, 13:38
Hey, one other thing a friend of mine did was to type out the functions on a piece of TOPO waterproof paper so that we could refer to them.

He just made it so that we each had a credit card sized piece of the water proof paper with the basic instructions and functions. Once you start using it, you won't need them, but it was nice the first couple of days, instead of having to carry the full instructions.

David@whiteblaze
03-30-2010, 15:05
hmm, I see. I hope to get one well beforehand and use it instead of getting one immediately before leaving, but that's a good idea too.

boarstone
03-30-2010, 17:44
Lion King! Where are you when we need you! He'll be THE ONE to know about thru's and camera's and video...he's done a couple of video's that I have...Walking W/Freedom and American Discovery Trail...and knows he issues involved and the type of camera that may work for one who wants to document one's travels. Check them out on YOUTUBE.com

Jester2000
03-31-2010, 15:03
Why are you bringing your camera to the toilet in the first place?

You know what? Don't answer that. Please, please, for the love of God, do not answer that.

Two words: Upskirt Website.

ankaka
03-15-2012, 02:59
Don't spend your all your money on the digital camcorder at this point. Get experience first. I would suggest getting the Canon ZR960. It is a miniDV digital camcorder (http://www.sencart.com/Supply-camcorder_c77) which will allow you to easily upload and edit your video on MovieMaker (PC) or iMovie on Apple. The ZR960 also allows you to use an external microphone, one of the few at that price that do.

kreate
03-15-2012, 11:32
I had great results with my I-touch on the trail last summer. light weight, quick to charge and I could upload my movies to the internet when I stopped in town. plus all of the other things that come along with the thing, internet, wastebook, apps, ect. here's a video I took on my way up to the summit of big K. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtsvMdDAFg
oh and the video is HD.

Miner
03-15-2012, 20:40
Good thing I bothered to read this thread first before replying since its an old thread from 2 years ago, mysteriously brought back from the dead.

FarmerWastson
12-04-2012, 01:47
With the Vixia HF M4xx seriesof HD cams, Cannon preserves its popularity for providing a solid mid-range customer camcorder, once again at a little bit higher prices than those of the competitors. The series includes three nearly similar models M400, M40 and M41. You should have an eye on this.

fcoulter
12-05-2012, 17:49
Two words: Upskirt Website.

Then it's not water your concerned with.