PDA

View Full Version : spring

mountain squid
03-19-2010, 18:23
It has been a looooong, coooooold winter. Tomorrow I'll be out on the trail doing some maintenance. I think the sun will be shining.

What is everyone else planning for the first day of Spring 2010? Who is going for a hike? Does anybody still have snow to shovel?

Whatever you're doing hope you get the chance to feel the sunshine.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Graywolf
03-19-2010, 18:30
Weather is great here..I was thinking about this myself today. I will be riding 40 miles tonight, taking my girlfriends son to a soccer game, then riding another 40 tomarrow evening..

Sure wish I lived closer to the trail..Would be nice to get out there..

d.o.c
03-19-2010, 20:03
gettn drunk at jennings creek for my birthday

Blissful
03-19-2010, 20:20
Hittin the trail, of course. Got cleared by PT to take a ramble and see how my achilles is doing.

sasquatch2014
03-19-2010, 20:37
Well By 1:32 I should be done with my appointments and will be getting a call from Ct Guy for a ride back to his car. I hung out with him at the shelter last night until about 9:30 and hiked out to my car in the dark. first full day of spring I will be taking the great Bear Mt relo indoctrination program so that I can be part of the bear mt trail crew. A once in a life time type of project. 1000 stone steps all hand cut and high wire hauled into position. a project this big has not happened since the old CCC days.

Bear Cables
03-19-2010, 20:57
Playing golf tomorrow. Planning a pre Easter week hike with my sister and friend on the Buffalo River Trail. Looking at the AT map of our next section and calling for shelter reservations in the Smokies. Waiting for my guide to hiking Trinity Alps for an early Sept. hike. Retirement rules!

HiKen2011
03-19-2010, 21:47
I plan to hike some on the Pinhoti tommorow, It's only 2 miles from my house. that will give me the much needed excercise!

Detour

johnnybgood
03-19-2010, 21:51
I'm hiking some tomorrow - looking at my park map now. No big miles im thinking, camp overnight , break camp Sunday morning and hike back to the truck.

jnanagardener
03-19-2010, 21:55
A huge day of gardening awaits along with the usual three-mile "hike" (er walk) through the concrete jungle. Looking forward to a 10-mile hike next weekend in the Withlacoochee Forest.

Mountain Wildman
03-19-2010, 22:33
Seam sealed my new tent today,
Still some snow on the ground but we could still get more, Not uncommon to get snow in April.
Would like to hike tomorrow in the White Mountain State Forest.
Supposed to get up into the 60's tomorrow.

Jonnycat
03-20-2010, 08:40
Gonna go take a hike on the trail that a few cougar were sighted at a few days ago. Hopefully the cats scare the people away.

Those people are scary.

Mrs Baggins
03-20-2010, 12:28
Did 3.3 miles in Gambrill State Park. First day hike of the season - actually since about late October. Spent far too much time in the big comfy chair this winter and uphill portion kicked my rear - but it was sooooo good to be back out! We had other plans for the day and only had time for a short hike but next time we'll go for at least 8 miles, then up it to 12. We have our first overnighter (3 day, 2 night) trip coming up in a month. 74 and gorgeous out! Snow is alllllll gone!

mountain squid
03-20-2010, 17:58
. . . . and the sun is still shining. :sun Between yesterday and today, this is the most consecutive days of sunshine we have had in a long time.

Had a good trail maintenance day. Not too many students showed up but we split into two groups. One group went North and one went South from Indian Grave Gap. My group went south and was able to repair over 200 feet of trail in several different places. Just in time for the NOBOs. . . .

Only saw a couple patches of snow (and that was on the road on the way up).

Hope everyone else has been able to enjoy the day. Sounds like alot of hikers actually did some hiking today and also have some future hikes planned.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Blissful
03-20-2010, 20:52
Went nowhere today, sick good part of the day with migraine, etc

Deadeye
03-21-2010, 08:15
Skiing.

The technical first day of Spring is just that around here. Some lowland trails are usable by April, but Memorial Day is the start of hiking season.

sasquatch2014
03-21-2010, 21:43
Took a walk on the new section of trail up Bear Mt in NY. This will open to the Public on june 5th. It will include the work of hundreds of volunteers over the past 4 years and have over 800 had hued and placed rock steps. This is the first major relo on the mountain since 1970. There is still more work to be done and if you want to be a part of history and the trail come and join in the fun send an email to [email protected]

I am posting a number of photo's that i took during todays hike with the orientation group of almost 50 people. the new trail is such an improvement for this over used section of trail. It also now gives better views of the bridge and Anthony's Nose as well as taking you past a great waterfall. When completely finished the trail will be almost completely moved off of the road that leads to the tower.

JJJ
03-21-2010, 23:33
Saturday my trail running group (http://imtr.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-trails.html) and I did a run from US 58 near Beartree north of Damascus up to near Saunders shelter,
then NoBo to Beartree Gap on the AT, then up to Shaw Gap on Iron Mt. and back down.
It was the first time we haven't seen at least a little snow on the ground since early Dec.
The weather was fantastic.
We saw more people on that few miles of AT than we've seen all winter combined.
My wife and I walked about three miles on the Creeper Trail out of Straight Branch today.
Whitetop-Laurel is running strong and clear.

K2
03-22-2010, 12:19
Went nowhere today, sick good part of the day with migraine, etc

Me too. Must be something in the air. The fact that I mulched on Friday probably didn't help.

I did go shopping at the local warehouse club for ground cloth and ingredients for GORP.

Obsessed about April 18, my start date. Wait a minute, that's something I've been doing for months!:rolleyes:

K2

K2
03-22-2010, 12:23
I should add that Saturday was beautiful.

Yesterday and today has been a bit week, otherwise, I'd be weed-whacking. I don't think I should take a corded lawn tool out in the rain, whadya think?:D

K2

Marta
03-22-2010, 12:44
Went hiking in the GSMNP. On the Deep Creek Trail there was a lot of damage from winter storms. Trail crews had already been out and done a magnificent job clearing the lower portion. From about campsite 54 on up, though, it was wild. Collapsing trail, lots of brush and vines, a jungle gym of bigger trees to climb over. An adventure. We had a blast. Lots of wood available for a campfire.

No snow at the elevations we were at, but no wildflowers blooming yet.

Carbo
03-22-2010, 14:56
Did the first hike of the season Saturday - 12 miles out & back to a great overlook north of the DWG - NJ. Slightly sore, but it feels good to be out there again. A trail maintainer said they are real busy with all the blow-downs, but I only saw one blocking the way at the beginning of the trail.

This is the song (slight word change) that got stuck in my head:

It's not far back to sanity
At least it's not for me
And when the trail is right you can hike away
And find serenity
The trail can do miracles
Just you wait and see
Believe me

ASUGrad
03-22-2010, 15:01
My son and I did 5 miles at Poverty Creek in the Jeff Nat Forest. I'm trying to get my legs back

mountain squid
03-22-2010, 16:25
Wow. . . .so much for Spring, I reckon. . .

We were in the Gorge today working on the High Water Trail above Laurel Fork Falls with some spring breakers from Iowa. I'm not exactly sure what that falling white stuff was, but it was cold and it was wet (and it is still falling):eek:. Maybe Spring will come again some other day. I reckon that gopher really did see his shadow . . . .

If the weather cooperates, supposed to do some more work South of Dennis Cove tomorrow.

Hope you are feeling better Blissful and K2!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Be careful going thru the Roans. I'm sure it is just accumulating more and more up there.

Chaco Taco
03-22-2010, 16:35
Snowing here in Asheville right now

Kel, the "Stickman"
03-22-2010, 17:34
I'm itchin' to go hikin'... thought this weekend (3-days off!) was going to allow for that, being that the weather here in Maine has/had been exceptional, but we don't always get to play, do we!?! After a couple of necessary plan changes, today was my only hope... but, alas! Sickness is running rampant in the Stickman household, and it is now raining! ...I'm still smilin', cause the opportunities are increasing with every passing week. Maybe NEXT weekend! ...Blissful, K2, hope you are all better!