PDA

View Full Version : 6 minute burn time UL firestarter

ike1985
03-20-2010, 15:23
Hey everybody, i was at work today and i found this stuff we use to clean cabinets with called "bees wax cheese cloth". From the name i figured it may be a good firestarter. I found out it was an incredible fire starter. It lasted 6minutes and 12 seconds with a 5-7inch flame. After it was burned I observed a large red ember inside the mass(it didn't disappear like paper when you burn it, it shrunk into a tightly burning mass).

Method:

Cut 4-5 inch square piece of beeswax cheesecloth
Rub in vaseline, coat most of the piece with a thin film of vaseline
roll into a tight ball and squeeze
barely unwrap it, light and be amazed

My cotton balls weighed more than this stuff and took up way more space(a whole medicine bottle). You could store this stuff in squares and compress it when you need to make a ball.

I believe the rest of it would have eventually burned off if there was an actual fire above it. But was is really amazing is I PICKED IT UP WITH THE EMBER(about the size of a dime) INSIDE AND IT WAS UNBURNED ON THE BOTTM, literally perfectly white before i lit it. It has suctioned itself to the ground almost and remained untainted on the part touching the concrete.
Pics below:

Im going to test this with my alcohol as my stove boils 2 cups well under 6 min, this may allow me to not carry liquid fuel, but will have to see what it does to the pot first.

THATS RIGHT 6+ MINUTES =)

If anyone can tell me how something like this would treat my aluminum windscreen and titanium pot please chime in. I don't wanna go burning my winscreen and pot up if it can't take the heat.thanks

ike1985
03-20-2010, 15:25
pics below

thelowend
03-20-2010, 15:42
THat's awesome. How much for a package of this stuff?

ike1985
03-20-2010, 15:45
I dunno, i get it from work when noones looking. =) Just kidding my dad owns the place so he dosen't care, but honsetly, i dunno. Its impregnated with beeswax. Do a google search for beeswax tackcloth and see what you get. If you cant find any i can mail you some if you pay shipping. I want to test it with my stove to see if it will allow me to not have to carry liquid fuel, with a burn time that long, i may have no need to lug around heavy fuel. Could be great for saving me some weight. Just worried about what it will do to the pot(ti)/windscreen(aluminum).

GGS2
03-20-2010, 16:35
I would imagine the cloth itself is plastic, and that's probably what forms the ember, and contributes to the long burn time. But the beeswax and the vaseline are both solid fuels which will leave a soot film where they contact a cold pot bottom, for instance. The nice visible, yellow flame is not very hot (ie. not like an alcohol or gas flame; more like a wood or candle flame). Don't imagine it will damage either your Ti pot or windscreen, but it may blacken both, or leave a deposit like some other solid fuels.

SGT Rock
03-20-2010, 20:19
Where would one go to get this stuff?

Manwich
03-20-2010, 20:32
Cadie Products sells Beeswax Polish Cloths in the store nearby here for like $10 a pop IIRC. Certainly isn't economical if you're not pinching it.

ike1985
03-20-2010, 21:03
Sarge, you can get tack cloth at walmart. I dunno if the walmart one is beeswax coated or not, but mine has a waxy feel that when you touch it come off on your fingers. Just remember to rub vaseline on it.

ike1985
03-20-2010, 21:07
sarge i can send you some if you can't find any.

SGT Rock
03-20-2010, 21:14
I'll take a look. If I like it, I'll want to know where to get more locally.

ike1985
03-20-2010, 21:17
the stuff that we get at work comes in a large clear plastic bag, about 8 inches wide and 1.5 feet long. I know it is not expensive like the one described above. They are cheap, i will find out monday how much they are. Im guessing the ones the company i work for uses are made by BONDO, but apparently after doing research autozone and most auto stores sell them. check your local auto store.

SGT Rock
03-20-2010, 21:21
So is this the fiber cloth for fiberglass repairs?

ike1985
03-20-2010, 21:50
So is this the fiber cloth for fiberglass repairs?

This is used in wood working to clean the cabinet before it is painted.

zelph
03-20-2010, 22:03
Most big box stores should have them in their paint departments....and local hardware stores.

SGT Rock
03-21-2010, 04:11
Got it. I'll go check that out.

DocHolliday
03-21-2010, 07:35
I'm pretty excited! This could save a lot of hassle. Let's see a Rock Review =]

Well played ike.

Rain Man
03-21-2010, 09:39
Now we just have to think of multi-use functionality! :)

Let's see... strain your drinking water through tack cloth to get all the "floaties" out. Then use it to boil the water?! I like it! You've got your water filtration and fuel, all in one!
:-?
Rain:sunMan

Fiddleback
03-21-2010, 10:29
Looks good...might be easier to pack.

My Vaseline-soaked cotton balls got the same or better performance results when I tested them out in the fireplace. However, the time it took to make 'em was probably greater...Vaseline was melted in a pot (some care needed here) and then the cotton balls were immersed. After soaking, they were removed and set on a paper towel to 'dry.' Setting one of these aflame results in a long lasting, and large fire...a very effective firestarter.

But the OP looks a bit easier...;)

FB

Wags
03-21-2010, 10:56
if it's actual beeswax i'd be concerned about animals wanting it

tammons
03-21-2010, 11:11
If its the stuff I am thinking about they are called tack cloths or tack rags.

The ones I used were made of a cheescloth type material and very sticky.
Not bees wax at all but some tacky substance coating them.
You can get them from an auto paint supply store. Probably lowe or home depot too.

I used them as a final wipe when painting cars back when I restored a few cars.

I would imagine these are probably toxic when they burn, so I would make sure to
stay out of the smoke.

Also I would bet that cheese cloth/ beeswax and maybe something like agar or some other additive might have been used as dust wipes back in the old days.
You could probably make you own starters by just melting some bees wax and dipping some cheescloth in. Messy but certainly cheaper than buying tack cloths.

I like hemp string dipped in wax. Makes an excellent fire starter.
Never tried beewax though. I have some so I might try it.

ike1985
03-21-2010, 11:18
if it's actual beeswax i'd be concerned about animals wanting it

haha good point, i believe most are not-beeswax from what people have been reporting.

GGS2
03-21-2010, 11:55
Back in the day (that would be MY day) a tack cloth was just a clean rag soaked in linseed oil and allowed to "dry" until tacky. The point was to make the cloth sticky, but not with a liquid so it would leave nothing behind and pick up sanding dust. There was a problem with such rags, in that when disposed of, they would continue to dry in the bin, which was an exothermic reaction, so the disposal bin tended to overheat. Spontaneous combustion was a definite possibility. I guess that's why the present rags use waxy substances instead. I would hazard a guess that the wax is not bees' wax because that stuff is expensive, and these are throw-aways. Probably something like a low-tack adhesive or a wax like we used to use on x-country skis, back in the day...

GGS2
03-21-2010, 12:02
DIY version could just use a no-tack wax like canning paraffin instead of the sitcky wax coated with vaseline. Make it with a cheese cloth fabric, or any cotton cloth around. It would light about as easily as a candle... Well, it would be a sheet candle, really. Really cheap, and the burn time would be about the same. Don't know if this is really a stove substitute, but it would sure work as an emergency fire starter/accelerant.

ike1985
03-22-2010, 11:14
Ok guys, got the info on what im using. THey are made by this company:
http://www.bondcorp.com/products.html

You can see in the picture at the top, there is a rectangular mass. The sheets come in this mass, they are $1.74 per bundle and have about 100+ sheets in them. So they are less than 2 cents a sheet. One sheet could probably start anywhere from 5-10 fires, so they are super cheap. item number: ws12cb(not sure this is the item number, was just on the package).

SGT Rock
03-22-2010, 11:25
I was just talking with my wife about this, she comes out with a package of 36"x6 yards of Cheesecloth she had gotten for doing some project a while back. It doesn't say anything about bees wax and the stuff doesn't feel waxy. I'll use it for a base comparison against some of the other stuff. I plan to pick some up after going to the store today.

SGT Rock
03-22-2010, 15:24
Went to Wal-Mart. They didn't have it and didn't know what I was talking about.

Then I went to Advanced Auto Parts and they had this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Tack-Cloth-Bondo_7100345-P_N3281A_T?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Google-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7100345

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3281A/full/7100345_bnd_813_pri_detl.jpg

Looks just like Cheesecloth except it is yellow. It is coated in something but the package doesn't say what. It cost a little over $2 with tax.

ike1985
03-22-2010, 15:41
Went to Wal-Mart. They didn't have it and didn't know what I was talking about.

Then I went to Advanced Auto Parts and they had this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Tack-Cloth-Bondo_7100345-P_N3281A_T?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Google-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7100345

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3281A/full/7100345_bnd_813_pri_detl.jpg

Looks just like Cheesecloth except it is yellow. It is coated in something but the package doesn't say what. It cost a little over $2 with tax.

Sgt.Rock, i feel bad for ya, mine at work we pay about 2cents for one, maybe less. They come in bricks of a hundred, are about as thin as a piece of paper, and give off a waxy residue. I suggest contacting bond corporation, and asking for a brick if you get good results. Use the product ID number i gave. We get 34-36 bricks in a box with 100 sheets in a brick, so we order alot at the company. good luck, post results

Roland
03-22-2010, 15:49
Come on, folks, with a little practice you can learn to light fires (reliably) with nature's own materials--birch bark, pitch, etc. This isn't rocket surgery; it's been done for centuries.

Learn to rely on your own skills, rather than on the latest gimmick.

ike1985
03-22-2010, 15:50
Sgt.Rock, i feel bad for ya, mine at work we pay about 2cents for one, maybe less. They come in bricks of a hundred, are about as thin as a piece of paper, and give off a waxy residue. I suggest contacting bond corporation, and asking for a brick if you get good results. Use the product ID number i gave. We get 34-36 bricks in a box with 100 sheets in a brick, so we order alot at the company. good luck, post results

there is a possibility of a group buy on bpl right now, under the gear section page 3 or 4. check it out

ike1985
03-22-2010, 15:52
Come on, folks, with a little practice you can learn to light fires (reliably) with nature's own materials--birch bark, pitch, etc. This isn't rocket surgery; it's been done for centuries.

Of course i can light a fire if i want to using a pocket knife and a lighter. But sometimes when its really wet, really cold, it helps to have a little kickstart. Noone ever said they couldn't, and as much experience as Sgt.Rock has, i don't think hes the guy you wanna be saying can't light fires.

SGT Rock
03-22-2010, 15:53

I already know how to do all that. I can even start one with a bow and drill.

I just find stuff like this works easier.

zelph
03-22-2010, 16:48
Method:

Cut 4-5 inch square piece of beeswax cheesecloth
Rub in Vaseline, coat most of the piece with a thin film of Vaseline
roll into a tight ball and squeeze
barely unwrap it, light and be amazedWhat do you attribute the long burn time to? Is it the addition of Vaseline?

ike1985
03-22-2010, 17:04
What do you attribute the long burn time to? Is it the addition of Vaseline?

I attribute the long burn time to the construction of the material. Rather than a light fluffy ball of cottom, it is constructed of sturdy criss-crossing lines covered in a waxy substance. This waxy substance causes a slow burn, the reinforcing helps to hold it together longer. As stated before, when ilooked at the bottom of it, it was unburned, which is very strange. But tells me it has an ability to stop the flames from spreading so much while maintaining a good burn. The vaseline slows it for sure. Without the vaseline it lasted about 2-3 minutes, the vaseline more than doubled it.

ike1985
03-22-2010, 17:06
But they(vaseline and material) work together somehow, in a way i dont fully understand.

zelph
03-22-2010, 22:06
The vaseline slows it for sure. Without the vaseline it lasted about 2-3 minutes, the vaseline more than doubled it.

I attribute the long burn time to the construction of the material.

covered in a waxy substance. This waxy substance causes a slow burn,

So we have 3 things that make it burn slow. Which of the three would be the primary factor?

Fiddleback
03-23-2010, 17:43
A 'slow' burn means a 'longer' burn? Then the addition of fuel, i.e., adding Vaseline, can contribute to a longer burn. Given that it is kinda dense, i.e., not fluffy and full of air, should mean that it has less oxygen available/doesn't have as much oxygen per surface area of the fuel. That too should lead to a 'slower' burn. Cotton balls, dryer lint, 'tinder' burn faster because of the difference in surface area exposed to oxygen...I think.:-?

As for Roland's comment...

My fire starters are for emergencies. In normal situations, I don't have campfires at all. But the fire starters are for when I need a fire and my fire starting skills have been compromised...bad weather, bad fuel, frozen hands, etc. In some situations in some areas, e.g., a cold weather/cold water dunking, there is not much time between recognizing the need for a fire and hypothermia...there may not be time to 'properly' start a fire by seeking out the right kind of tinder, kindling, etc., and getting that fire started with one match as the Scouts taught me.

Anyhoo, I carry a bunch more fire starters now that I don't have campfires then when I did start a fire each night. That's probably a good thing as all skills deteriorate without use...

FB

Wise Old Owl
03-23-2010, 19:42
I like FB's post, to add to it, I can scrape sap from pine (pitch) and make the same amount of heat for firestarter that will light in moderate moist conditions. If you cannot start in dry conditions ...Well back to school. UL lighters in severe damp conditions is chemical such as small chunk of esbit.

I do not buy into the whole vasaline ball thing... I have a small vial of wood alcohol and esbit in my pack and its light and much hotter on ignition. IMO.

Woo

Roland
03-23-2010, 20:14
~
As for Roland's comment...

My fire starters are for emergencies. In normal situations, I don't have campfires at all. But the fire starters are for when I need a fire and my fire starting skills have been compromised...bad weather, bad fuel, frozen hands, etc. In some situations in some areas, e.g., a cold weather/cold water dunking, there is not much time between recognizing the need for a fire and hypothermia...there may not be time to 'properly' start a fire by seeking out the right kind of tinder, kindling, etc., and getting that fire started with one match as the Scouts taught me.

Anyhoo, I carry a bunch more fire starters now that I don't have campfires then when I did start a fire each night. That's probably a good thing as all skills deteriorate without use...

FB

Fiddleback,

Your point is well taken and your rationale for carrying fire starters makes good sense for the situations you describe.

My comments were precipitated by, what I perceive as, a growing trend in today's society to rely on quick-fix gimmicks, in place of mastering fundamental skills. Here's an example of what I mean.

At one time, anyone who ventured deep into the woods learned map and compass skills. Hikers, hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts knew they needed to be self-sufficient and couldn't rely on others to lead them home. But in today's world, fundamental navigational skills are quickly being replaced by cell phones, personal locator beacons, GPS units, etc. What was once a core, fundamental skill necessary for survival in the woods has now been replaced with a reliance on gadgets. I love technology, but I also think it's a shame that many today will make no effort to learn basic compass skills. They are happy to follow the direction of the arrow on the GPS. And I suppose, as long as the GPS never fails, they will probably be fine. But what if it does?

Similarly, fire building is perhaps the oldest, core, survival skill. Yet, of the folks I meet at campsites, many cannot light a fire without the use of a fire starter. So when I read a thread, which appears to assume that fire starters are necessary, I am motivated to offer a different view point.

Regards,

ike1985
03-24-2010, 07:17
Ok guys, an update. It turns out there is no wax, beeswax, or silicone, a hammock forums member called the bond corp and they said this. Turns out my manager was wrong. SO why does it matter? Well bond corp has offered to sell to a guy on hf, so im sure they would sell to you guys. Try to use the item number i gave and see what you can get if you are interested in it.

I guess the material plays more of a role than we origonally thought. The vaseline is important, but the material also has something to do with the long burn time. Over and out.

Fiddleback
03-24-2010, 09:32
Fiddleback,

Your point is well taken and your rationale for carrying fire starters makes good sense for the situations you describe.

My comments were precipitated by, what I perceive as, a growing trend in today's society to rely on quick-fix gimmicks, in place of mastering fundamental skills. Here's an example of what I mean.

At one time, anyone who ventured deep into the woods learned map and compass skills. Hikers, hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts knew they needed to be self-sufficient and couldn't rely on others to lead them home. But in today's world, fundamental navigational skills are quickly being replaced by cell phones, personal locator beacons, GPS units, etc. What was once a core, fundamental skill necessary for survival in the woods has now been replaced with a reliance on gadgets. I love technology, but I also think it's a shame that many today will make no effort to learn basic compass skills. They are happy to follow the direction of the arrow on the GPS. And I suppose, as long as the GPS never fails, they will probably be fine. But what if it does?

Similarly, fire building is perhaps the oldest, core, survival skill. Yet, of the folks I meet at campsites, many cannot light a fire without the use of a fire starter. So when I read a thread, which appears to assume that fire starters are necessary, I am motivated to offer a different view point.

Regards,

One could make the point that 'we' are merely drawing lines...one or some technology is OK (compass) but other technology (GPS) might be a step too far. One could...I won't.:D I agree totally with what you say. There are core, basic 'woodcraft' skills that all should have. They include providing warmth, shelter, water and food. Beyond that I would add, 'finding your way.' All should have some ability to acquire these necessities with a minimum of technology. Just how 'minimum' (no firestarters or no matches?) is another one of those lines to be drawn but I think I understand where you're coming from and I agree completely.

FB

brooklynkayak
03-24-2010, 12:26
I wouldn't want to backpack in bear country with anything containing beeswax. Bears are highly attracted to the smell, but they are also attracted to the smell of tuna fish, a staple for many backpackers.

zelph
03-24-2010, 12:35
Ok guys, got the info on what im using. THey are made by this company:
http://www.bondcorp.com/products.html

You can see in the picture at the top, there is a rectangular mass. The sheets come in this mass, they are $1.74 per bundle and have about 100+ sheets in them. So they are less than 2 cents a sheet. One sheet could probably start anywhere from 5-10 fires, so they are super cheap. item number: ws12cb(not sure this is the item number, was just on the package).

Their site says they make it with cotton and synthetic poly fibers.

<<<<several PolyKnit materials are also available. This synthetic, polyester based fabric – which is heat cut to eliminate contamination from loose or frayed cotton ends – is quickly becoming the new standard in the automotive industry. >>>>

http://www.bondcorp.com/tackformula.html

Do you think what you used is Polyknit? If it's it is, that might be why such a long burn time.

SGT Rock
03-24-2010, 15:39
I've got the stuff (tackcloth) that everyone is talking about and cheaper all cotton stuff. When I have some time later this week I'll try a test burn of both types plain, then both types with vasiline, then do a comparison with some cotton balls. I'm interested in seeing the results.

Maybe I'll also do some equal weight toilet paper and olive oil, and maybe some of this tackcloth/cheesecloth with olive oil too.

SGT Rock
03-25-2010, 14:10
I just did an initial burn of untreated cotton cheesecloth and untreated tack cloth. I used a 4" x 4" square of each. The tack cloth weighed 3.25 grams the cotton cheese cloth weighed 1 gram.

The tack cloth burned for 5 minutes even without the Vaseline added. The cotton cheesecloth went out after about 30 seconds. There is definitely some sort of sticky coating on the tack cloth, and even without Vaseline it maintains a yellow flame with a little bit of soot in it.

ike1985
03-25-2010, 17:02
I just did an initial burn of untreated cotton cheesecloth and untreated tack cloth. I used a 4" x 4" square of each. The tack cloth weighed 3.25 grams the cotton cheese cloth weighed 1 gram.

The tack cloth burned for 5 minutes even without the Vaseline added. The cotton cheesecloth went out after about 30 seconds. There is definitely some sort of sticky coating on the tack cloth, and even without Vaseline it maintains a yellow flame with a little bit of soot in it.

So Sgt, will you be encorporating this into your fire starting arsenal or not? What is your opinion of the results? My cotton balls were just too messy and heavy, so these will be replacing mine.

SGT Rock
03-25-2010, 17:08
I still plan to do some burns with Vaseline and maybe try to find one of those beeswax toilet rings. It's raining though so I've temporary halted testing ;)

At 4" square the new stuff is about 2 grams heavier than one of my cotton balls. I carry 1 dozen balls at about 2 grams each in a military pill bag (very small zip lock) that weighs 3 grams. So my total fire starter pack is 27 grams. I've carried the same stuff for about a year, and finally needed some last hike. I've never seen Vaseline dry up.

So, with more testing I'll decide. Right now I'm still happy with what I have, but I also have some more testing to do with paraffin wax on cotton cheesecloth and Vaseline on cotton cheese cloth to try out. If I find something that works well I'll go to it as long as it ain't expensive.

ike1985
03-25-2010, 17:15
The thing is i never get more than a 2 min burn out of my cotton balls.
I've tried a lil bit of vaseline, a LOT, in between, can't seem to get more than a minute or two.

Fiddleback
03-26-2010, 09:16
Soaking cotton balls in melted Vaseline got long burns for me...

FB

SGT Rock
03-26-2010, 12:21
The thing is i never get more than a 2 min burn out of my cotton balls.
I've tried a lil bit of vaseline, a LOT, in between, can't seem to get more than a minute or two.

Soaking cotton balls in melted Vaseline got long burns for me...

FB
I've never timed it, but since I got started on this I plan to soak a cotton ball, some of that cotton cheesecloth, and add some Vaseline to that tack cloth and time the results.

Rain Man
03-26-2010, 18:06
I carry 1 dozen balls at about 2 grams each in a military pill bag (very small zip lock) that weighs 3 grams. So my total fire starter pack is 27 grams. I've carried the same stuff for about a year, and finally needed some last hike. I've never seen Vaseline dry up.

Seems to me that cotton balls soaked in Vaseline could be multi-purpose, too. A big advantage in my book. Swab a burn. Use on chaffing. Chapped lips. Etc.

One thing I don't get is how to "soak" cotton balls in Vaseline. Just smear it on? And, I wonder if cotton rounds might be as good or better.

SGT Rock
03-26-2010, 18:15
It stopped raining enough today for me to finish. This is what I found:

Untreated cheesecloth - 1gr on the scale. ~30 second burn that was pretty weak.
Untreated cotton balls - 0gr on the scale. ~30 second burn that was pretty weak.
Cheesecloth with Vaseline - 10gr on the scale. ~ 5 minutes of burn with soot and good flame for a while.
Cotton ball with Vaseline - 6gr on the scale. ~ 8 minute burn with soot and a concentrated flame area. note - these are larger cotton balls than I normally use.
Tack cloth "as is" - 3gr on the scale. ~5 minute burn with some soot.
Tack cloth with Vaseline - 6gr on the scale. ~8 minute burn with some soot. Very even burn, probably the most controlled looking burn of them all.
Toilet Paper and olive oil - 5gr on the scale. ~6 minute burn with nice smell to it. 4 sheets of paper and about 4 grams of oil poured on. No soot that I could see.

So, take it as you like. I think the Tack cloth worked VERY well. But it is sort of expensive. Olive oil and toilet paper is something just about everyone carries and make a very nice fire starter. I may stop carrying a pack of fire starter and just use what I already have. It also proves to me, once again, that HOI already knows something that I need to learn.

I think someone brought up using this as stove fuel. I didn't try it, but based off what I saw, I would want to find whatever it is that coats the tack cloth and try that with the cloth serving as a wick.

SGT Rock
03-26-2010, 18:22
Seems to me that cotton balls soaked in Vaseline could be multi-purpose, too. A big advantage in my book. Swab a burn. Use on chaffing. Chapped lips. Etc.

One thing I don't get is how to "soak" cotton balls in Vaseline. Just smear it on? And, I wonder if cotton rounds might be as good or better.

Good point on multi use. For my cotton balls I smear them around in the Vaseline and then put them in the zip lock bag. The Vaseline seems to seep in as they are stored. Maybe they heat up a little during the heat of the day while I am out packing so the Vaseline is a little less viscus?

I use small cotton balls (always trying to stay light) and a very small bag. A dozen balls in the bag are less than an ounce. The hardest starting fire I ever had took 3 of them to get going.

Roland
03-26-2010, 18:27
~ I would want to find whatever it is that coats the tack cloth and try that with the cloth serving as a wick.

Traditionally, what gave tack cloth its "stick-um", was boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.

SGT Rock
03-26-2010, 18:31
Traditionally, what gave tack cloth its "stick-um", was boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.

Could be. The package didn't say. I do know it came wrapped in plastic and it stuck to the inside of the wrapping.

Skidsteer
03-26-2010, 21:08
One thing I don't get is how to "soak" cotton balls in Vaseline.

You heat(very carefully )the vaseline until it is liquid. Like this:

My Vaseline-soaked cotton balls got the same or better performance results when I tested them out in the fireplace. However, the time it took to make 'em was probably greater...Vaseline was melted in a pot (some care needed here) and then the cotton balls were immersed. After soaking, they were removed and set on a paper towel to 'dry.' Setting one of these aflame results in a long lasting, and large fire...a very effective firestarter.FB

ike1985
03-29-2010, 12:46
Thanks for the figures sgt.rock, much appreciated.

mykl
03-29-2010, 13:09
I was just reading about using dryer lint for a fire starter. Seems like a good idea, but would imagine it burning to fast.

beakerman
03-29-2010, 16:52
I was just reading about using dryer lint for a fire starter. Seems like a good idea, but would imagine it burning to fast.

Well i played with this idea based on the initial report of the bee wax tack cloth. I took an old candle and melted it down in a cut up coke can. then used a pair of needle nose plires I soaked a wad of dryer lint in it and sloshed it around to get th air bubbles out of the lint. Then I put them on a sheet of paper and into the freezer with them (i'm impatient).

I set one off with no difficulty on the coal tray in my grill and it burned with bright yellow/white flame (duh like a candle) that was about 6 or so inches high. It did this for about 10 minutes.

I used two of my smaller ones to light a fire with some wood that i had difficulty lighting with charcoal lighter (it was that wet). The only problems i had was in actualy lighting the ball. The first one had a little touch that I missed in the saturation process the remainder I did a overkill job on it and had no free lint to light. That is my curent explanation as to why I had trouble lighting it.

ike1985
04-08-2010, 16:01
Good job beakerman, glad to see the results.

Spokes
04-08-2010, 17:45
Great discussion. Vaseline cotton balls or it's derivatives (beeswax tack cloth) are good and simple fire starters to make.

Char Cloth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKznKaaFYI) works well too and is spark/striker initiated.

Plenty of "how to make" vids on YouTube......