PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing GSMNP

partinj
03-20-2010, 18:32
Hi guys just wonder i am staring later then i want because of the snow i was
thinking about skiping th GSMNP park and doing it later.Do any of you know any one in the area who would shuttle from one end to the other.
:sun

10-K
03-20-2010, 18:47
Hi guys just wonder i am staring later then i want because of the snow i was
thinking about skiping th GSMNP park and doing it later.Do any of you know any one in the area who would shuttle from one end to the other.
:sun

The Hike Inn - good people. I used them for a shuttle from Fontana to Davenport Gap when I hike GSMNP. They'd also shuttle you into Robbinsville for resupply if you needed.

They also shuttled me from Fontana to FS 42 at Springer.

http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com/

Chaco Taco
03-20-2010, 19:24
or curtis at Standing Bear

drdewrag
03-20-2010, 19:30
Just used Curtis on Thursday for a shuttle from Dav Gap around to Newfound Gap. Good guy for sure. 423 487 0014

Mags
03-20-2010, 20:23
Just another note Curtis. Good guy. He'll do you right.

Scaper
03-20-2010, 21:05
According to the stations that take measurements every day in the Smokies the snow depth at Mt. Laconte is down to 14 inches. I wouldt be surprised if it was all melted by April 1st. On the other hand it could snow 3 feet the first week of April. I would take it one day at a time and dont make plans to skip the smokies until you come to that point.

Egads
03-20-2010, 21:39
I would hike through the BMT instead of bypassing the AT through GSMNP It's a nice trail in it's own right. It is different w/o the ridges & views, but much more solitary and you don't need to stay in shelters

Doctari
03-20-2010, 22:56
I got a PM from Shelter Leopard (she is in Hot Springs) yesterday, she says "The Smokies is currently alternating between a sheet of solid ice, and a huge pile of slushy snow. Not too slushy, and about four feet of it. Ugh!" She bypassed the highest point, Clingman's dome due to the trail conditions "suggested by a ridge runner".

Ox97GaMe
03-21-2010, 10:13
depends on your reason for wanting to bypass the park.

If you are worried about the snow at higher elevation, then consider an alternate low elevation route. The BMT gets to some high elevations too and very few folks have been through there to break trail for you. The AT is passible at this time and should be for the remainder of the thru hiker season.

If you are needing to make up some time, then you might consider other areas to skip. Right now, there are 3 rock slides near GSMNP that are making it somewhat more difficult to shuttle around that region. The current rock slides are projected to be an issue until mid-late May. Consider perhaps shuttling from Hot Springs to Erwin or Erwin to Damascus instead. Easier to shuttle around now and easier to get to when you come back to pick up the section later.

PR Man
03-21-2010, 14:29
I know two people.

The operator of the Grand Prix Motel in Gatlinburg will do it.

Also - the owners of Standing Bear Farm ( at the North End of GSMNP ) will do it.

I would call Standing Bear Farm since they are directly at the north end.

Both phone numbers are in thru hiker handbooks and trail guides.

Hope this helps.