PDA

View Full Version : Tent

monkeymuscles
10-07-2004, 00:04
I want to get a nice 2 or 3 person backpacking tent but weight isn't that big of a deal since I don't go on hikes that are usually more then a day long. Now I was looking at a nice 2 or 3 person tent from L.L. Bean for something like $99. I know this isn't what a serious hiker would go for but for someone who might use it on one night hikes and such would an L.L. Bean tent be a good choice? Main reason I was looking at this tent is because I never usually had much luck with keeping tents from ripping so I figured something with a lifetime warranty would be good. They claim all L.L Bean stuff has a lifetime warranty so I would imagine the tent does too. Thanks for any feedback, Chris

kncats
10-07-2004, 07:26
I have an L.L. Bean Light Stuff two person tent that I bought used and it is still going strong. Slightly below six pounds for two people isn't terribly bad for the amount of room it has and the price. You can do much better weight wise if you look at single wall tents or tarps, but if a doublewall tent of this style is the way you want to go then I strongly recommend Bean. We don't carry it any more for backpacking because of the weight, but it's still very serviceable. No tears, no leaks, one of the aluminum poles has a slight bend in it but still works fine. If you're looking at the tent I think you are I'd be a little leery of the fiberglass poles as far as long term use goes.

Dances with Mice
10-07-2004, 09:15
I want to get a nice 2 or 3 person backpacking tent but weight isn't that big of a deal since I don't go on hikes that are usually more then a day long. Now I was looking at a nice 2 or 3 person tent from L.L. Bean for something like $99. ... I never usually had much luck with keeping tents from ripping ...

It's not LL Bean but the Eureka Timberline is close to indestructible. About 7 pounds total but divides easily for 2 people to each carry half. Lots of room and stormproof, nearly bombproof. I don't use it any more myself, but I've had one for about 6 years now. It's survived numerous Scout trips, Philmont, a section hike of the Georgia AT, oldest daughter's summer European trip, and even being lent out to friends. I've had to replace one pole bent by a young Scout, and Scouts are like crash tests for tents.

Eureka Timberline 2 Tent, Campmor Item Number: 40324

chris
10-07-2004, 09:58
Something like one of the MSR Zoids would be a big step up in quality (almost the same tent as the Walrus Archrival I used to use) and less weight for a little more than the Timberline. While I've spent many nights in a Timberline, I find them just too heavy (even for overnights) and are too short for me (6'4") to boot.

TedB
10-07-2004, 22:03
Main reason I was looking at this tent is because I never usually had much luck with keeping tents from ripping so I figured something with a lifetime warranty would be good.

I've never had a tent rip or had a campanion who had a tent rip. What the heck did you do to your poor tent?

I really like the timberline for car camping and it has seen a few nights on the trail, although it is a little heavy for that.

Rain Man
10-08-2004, 10:18
For a little more money, you can get an REI Half-Dome Plus. REI puts this tent on sale from time to time for around $160. I think it might be on sale right now, in fact.

http://www.rei.com

It won a Gear of the Year award in 2003 or so from Backpacker Maganzine, I believe.

Best of all, REI gives a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty on everything they sell. So, if you don't like it, you can take it back for another kind or a refund.

My wife and I have the Half-Dome Plus and like it when we backpack together.

Other options are their Clipper and their Coupe. On sale right now for around $120. All two-person tents.

Rain Man

monkeymuscles
10-08-2004, 16:59
Mainly UV damage caused my tents to rip cause I had them outside too long. Thanks for the replies.

TedB
10-09-2004, 22:48
Many tents today come with polyester rain-fly material which is supposedly more UV resistant than nylon, so that might be a feature to look for.

Assuming you can't find a shady place to set your tent up and you can't take it down during the day time, you might try to setup a tarp overhead to block the sun. A tarp will wear out eventually, but isn't so expensive to replace. I only suggest the tarp+tent for nonbackpacking situations, where the extra weight is not a concern. Having a place outside the tent protected from rain is a nice bonus.

Bolo
11-07-2004, 20:59
HELP! I've decided I can't fight with my 2-man, 5 lb tent any longer. This weekend it was just too darn cold to fold it up, roll it up and stuff it in the sack.
I'm looking for a solo tent that I can stuff...and desirably one that I can sit up in. Any quick suggestions would be appreciated. I'm back out in the woods next weekend.

Bolo

Peaks
11-08-2004, 08:27
Tents popular along the AT include the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight and MSR Zoid. Headroom may be tight. Check them out at your local outfitter first.

Another alternative is a tarp tent.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2004, 08:39
Northface Canyonlands is a great tent at 3 lbs.