PDA

View Full Version : Motivation from brothers....

K2
03-21-2010, 14:07
"You're too out of shape." "You won't even make it ten miles (Response to my stating I'll be happy if I make to North Carolina)." "You don't know what you're getting into."

And other pearls of wisdom, including diet, "You should take a tablespoon of straight olive oil every one or two miles.", "(Joking, I think) Take this (restaurant can of chocolate pudding) up the mountain, and just eat it; it's bound to last two or three days....Of course it's going to be heavy to begin with, but it'll get lighter."

ETC....

Yes, my family's very supportive.:rolleyes:

Maybe this belongs in "Hiking Humor?"

~K2~

partinj
03-21-2010, 14:41
Don't let them get to you just start out slow and you do fine
most folks will understand why you want to do the trail however
everone on this site will.
Have fun and enjoy yourself on your hike
I am out of here on April 1 get to hostel on 2 head for the trail on the 3
see ya

singingpilgrim
03-21-2010, 14:58
I've got no brothers, but about half my friends I've told have kind of got this 'really??' look in their eyes, and bluster about things they think I should do, as if I'm not thinking this through (and I am! I am!). The other half are like 'That's awesome!'
But with the former, I just smile and tell myself not to mind and figure that as the date gets closer and I progress with preparations they'll realize I'm serious and get behind me.

K2
03-21-2010, 16:15
Thank you. I'm departing April 18.

I started this thread to encourage women that have similar experiences, and let them know that they are not alone.

I also think it's darn funny.You'd think they'd learn by now that their action can cause an equal and opposite reaction. :sun

Hey, I found a new quote for my signature; too bad it's too long, I should memorize it--
Technique and ability alone do not get you to the top, it is the willpower that is the most important. This willpower you cannot buy with money or be given by others–it rises from your heart. –JUNKO TABEI ~K2~

Blissful
03-21-2010, 19:34
My brother didn't say much but he was supportive esp. at the end.

Jim Adams
03-21-2010, 19:59
My sister said " I can't believe that you would waste a year of your life that way!"

Hang in there and have fun...she didn't understand the second thru hike either!:)

geek

Joon
03-21-2010, 20:49
Are you going to keep a Trail Journal, K2? I would follow it and send you encouraging notes.

Good on you for getting out there and doing it!

Smoky in TN
03-22-2010, 15:41
K2, don't let the naysayers drag you down. Get on the trail, have fun.
You might surprise some of those pessimistic people.

apudreamer
03-23-2010, 12:20
A supposed 'friend' of mine just told me that she thinks I am a massive egomaniac for trying this.

Some people just don't get it.

Madison
03-30-2010, 21:32
My brother hiked the AT over 10 years ago and he is totallly "geeked" (I think that means excited) that I will be following in his footsteps. So for every brother or family member or so-called friend who doubts you, know that my brother (Dead Ahead Dave) is on your side too! :) - Yum Yum

Rain Man
03-31-2010, 10:09
My brother hiked the AT over 10 years ago and he is totallly "geeked" (I think that means excited) that I will be following in his footsteps. So for every brother or family member or so-called friend who doubts you, know that my brother (Dead Ahead Dave) is on your side too! :) - Yum Yum

Absolutely, K2, you go, girl! When my petite middle daughter came home during her first year of college and announced she wanted to hike the AT, both her mom and I said 'Go for it. NOW is the time in your life.' She did and we supported her the entire way, with care packages, money, phone calls, helping arrange logistics (she got off the trail three times briefly), and etc. Next to spending a year in Argentina as a high school exchange student, it was the thrill and accomplishment of her lifetime (so far). I suspect your brothers are simply jealous... and showing their love by 'being boys.' They probably admire you, too, and they might even help if you asked them too.

I posted a trail journal of sorts here on WB back then, reports from her as she hiked GA and part of NC. You can read them if you like.

Have a great hike! I'm jealous! Your family will be proud. :)

Rain:sunMan

P.S. Here are two pics of my daughter. Walking off into the fog, alone, on Springer in March 04. And on Katahdin in September 04. Enjoy.

tothetrail
04-04-2010, 13:00
My brothers wouldn't know the first thing about backpacking!

True Blue
04-05-2010, 12:59
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

K2, I only wish I was out there with you this year! I will be 50 this year and am obsessively planning my thru-hike for 2010. Not one family member, friend, church member or neighbor understands my overwhelming desire to hike the AT. They look at me with expressions that infer that I am from another planet. I might as well be speaking a foreign language. Even had someone tell me, authoritatively, about the AT from a magazine article they read. I just listened and smiled.

My husband wasn't on board, either, until a one week section hike in 2009. Now, he's hooked and wants to thru-hike with me. But I would have gone alone.

People who speak negatively are only trying to keep you down in their comfort zone of predictability and boredom. They don't want to admit that they are afraid to try new things, to test their limits and soar! Don't let them!

Get out on the trail and do your best. If you only get as far as NC, then so be it! You can celebrate even that success as a goal reached. "They" didn't even have the courage to do that much!

bigcranky
04-05-2010, 14:44
P.S. Here are two pics of my daughter. Walking off into the fog, alone, on Springer in March 04. And on Katahdin in September 04. Enjoy.

Great photos, Rain Man. Must have broken your heart to see her walk off at the start of her journey (I mean in a good way....)

K2
04-05-2010, 23:49
All of you are so nice!

I will have a trailjournal and use trailphone; I imagine I will be much more consistent on TrailPhone. I'll add the info after I get caught up with some of the last minute details.

Ideally, when my friend drives me down to Dahlonega Ga on the 17th, everything will be squared away, the lawn immaculate, the house clean. Haha, like that's going to happen, but one can dream, right?

Rain Man, you have a lovely daughter, but you already knew that, didn't you.

Thank you all for being so supportive. ~K2~

Trailweaver
04-06-2010, 00:30
Just keep on hikin' ! Don't let anyone tell you that you "can't" do something. You go out there and hike and hike and keep on hikin' ! However far you get, you will feel like a million bucks for having done it because most of the people you know haven't done that!

I'm section hiking, and everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for doing that (my age, going solo, and a thousand other reasons "they" think they know best about. Nevertheless, I'm doing it, and I feel soooo good about myself for it. I know I can't do a thru hike, but whatever little bit I can do, I'm going to do for myself, and to show people that it's not impossible.

You hike. We'll be here for you.

JoshuaGaler
04-13-2010, 07:17
Well I really appreciate you girls are doing such a good and really appreciable work. I never done hiking in my entire life. I have a big fat stomach in front of me. I thought once that I want to do some small hiking but the plan was been canceled.

K2
04-19-2010, 11:11
Dear Friends,

I posted something similar in General, but I wanted to make a special note for you all.

I really hate to say this after all the positive feedback you've given me, but because of pressing (positive) business at home, I've had to cancel at the last minute.

Don't feel bad for me; I've only deferred my plans, not given up on them. I do plan on doing sections of the AT and the Mountain to Sea trial. I just don't have the time I thought I would.

Thank you sooo much for your support and encouragement, you have no idea what it means to me.

May God bless you, and good luck on your journeys, both on and off the trail. K2