PDA

View Full Version : What Temp Sleeping Bag Do I Need?

Matty427
03-21-2010, 14:20
Starting at Springer in the first week of June and will be hiking for about 3 weeks to Clingman's Dome. I was going to get a 40 degree bag, but was thinking I may be better off with a 20 degree bag for the nights in the mountains.

SawnieRobertson
03-21-2010, 14:37
My guess is that the lighter 40-degree bag will do fine. If not, put on every bit of clothing you are carrying. Yes, it is not inconceivable that you will want to have a sweater, a jacket, and some rain gear along. This is one of the times they will come in handy: wet, 55 degrees, high winds.--Kinnickinic

10-K
03-21-2010, 14:43
Sounds like you don't have a bag now....

If you're buying a bag for just this hike a 40* bag would work if you had a jacket to sleep in just in case like Sawnie said.

But if you plan on hiking more and only want to buy 1 bag I'd go with the 20* bag because it's more suited to year round hiking than a 40* bag.

A 20* bag with a liner would do for almost any weather if you had proper clothing... If it were too hot for the 20* bag you could sleep in the liner or use the bag as a quilt instead of zipping up in it.

Praha4
03-21-2010, 14:51
I'd go with a 30 degree bag that time of year in the southern Appalachains, like the Marmot Hydrogen down bag

StormBird
03-21-2010, 14:52
^you should be fine with the 40 degree bag. I'm switching from my zero to my 30 in early to mid may. So by June, I'm sure you'll be more than fine. But as always, just keep an eye on the weather to know for sure once it starts getting closer.

Matty427
03-21-2010, 16:04
Ive got a 15 degree bag which hasn't been used in a long time. I was thinking it would be too hot/heavy, but was concerned that a 40 degree bag would be too cold for the mountain nights. I'm only really going to be doing overnight hikes during the summer, so the bag I buy will be only for summer hiking. Thanks for the feedback!

Egads
03-21-2010, 16:13
I frequently use a hammock with a thermarest ridgerest pad & a 2-1/2" JRB Nest over Quilt, or the nest as an underquilt w/ a 50* fleece bag in June

You should be fine in a 40* bag

daddytwosticks
03-21-2010, 17:56
I'd go w/the 40 degree bag. But I'd bring a fleece jacket, or better yet, something like a Thermawrap jacket just in case. :)

Feral Bill
03-21-2010, 22:32
Ive got a 15 degree bag which hasn't been used in a long time. I was thinking it would be too hot/heavy, but was concerned that a 40 degree bag would be too cold for the mountain nights. I'm only really going to be doing overnight hikes during the summer, so the bag I buy will be only for summer hiking. Thanks for the feedback!

If the 15 degree bag is decent and unzips all the way it should be fine for summer weather, and give you a safety margin as well. Of course a dedicated summer bag is not a bad idea. If you go that way consider one that will fit inside or outside the 15 degree bag for serious cold weather.

butts0989
03-21-2010, 23:43
+1 for a 30 degree if you havent bought one yet. it would be the best all around investment for a 3 season bag. I use a WM summerlite and with a liner can take it into the teens. it also only weighs 19 oz, but will cost you a pretty penny. i cant suggest WM enough for their quality and warm bags.

bigcranky
03-22-2010, 07:32
I too like a 30-F bag for three-season use. We started at Springer in early June in 2003 and it got down to freezing the first few nights.

butts0989
03-22-2010, 09:28
also to add to my comment about my WM summerlite, it weighs just as much if not less than most summer bags, so plan on keeping it with you the entire trip. you can open it up all the way because of its full length zipper and make it into a quilt when weather gets hot.

beep
03-30-2010, 18:54
If I were only to have ONE sleeping bag, I'd get a 15-20 degree bag. With extra clothing you can go lower if needed, and unzipping deals with warmer temps.

buz
03-31-2010, 08:28
I would also consider carefully how u would use the bag in the future, after this trip. Only summer, or maybe as liner bag with your present one for really cold trips, budget, down vs. synthetic, etc. I always advocate spending large dollars on a high end 800 fp bag, for two reasons. 1) the bag will be useful for 20+ years, taken care of 2) if you become a non hiker, a high end bag is easy to resell, for most of your investment getting recouped. Also, down bags are just so cozy, lol. Also, look at most high end bags, they start at 30 degrees, mainly. I would vote for a 30 degree one, as you can push these lower if needed, pushing a 40 lower is not as easy. good luck.

brooklynkayak
03-31-2010, 09:21
A 40 degree bag alone should be fine for almost every night of the leg you are talking about. You may need to layer some clothes in some rare cases.

A 40 degree bag with insulated pants, sweater, additional vest, down booties and some kind of warm underwear should be good down to below 20 degrees.

You could also layer another bag or quilt when needed for other trips in colder weather.