PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Mountain Club

Chaco Taco
03-21-2010, 16:52
So the AT Crews in the CMC are heading out on Wed. Looks like we are going to have 3 teams between Street Gap and Spivey Gap. Pumped about being on a crew!!!

Ox97GaMe
03-21-2010, 18:07
Im gonna miss that Chaco. I wont be in the area until Thur. I will be working Mt Camerer to Snowbird Thur-Sat.

Tennessee Viking
03-21-2010, 20:03
So the AT Crews in the CMC are heading out on Wed. Looks like we are going to have 3 teams between Street Gap and Spivey Gap. Pumped about being on a crew!!!
Watch out Chaco Taco...we maintainers will probably talk you into helping with Konnarock. Carolina's project this year is....relocating trail in between Flint Gap up to Shelton Graves.

Plus, the Carolina Club's MST crew will need a lot of help clearing blowdowns all along its Blue Ridge Parkway section.

Rain Man
03-21-2010, 20:34
To all maintainers and AT trail clubs--

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Rain:sunMan

Chaco Taco
03-22-2010, 22:37
This is one aspect of the hiking community I have been excitted about joining. Did a Hardcore with Bob in Rutland on our Thru and loved it. Glad I can be a part of this living in Asheville!!! One of the many benefits of living here!!!

Reid
03-22-2010, 23:17
To all maintainers and AT trail clubs--

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Rain:sunMan

Yep and ditto

DiamondDoug
03-26-2010, 12:28
Did my spring walk through the same day, from Big Bald to Little Bald. Big Bald and it's northern shoulder were virtually free of snow, but as soon as you started to descend (northbound) into the woods towards the shelter the snow got thick. 12-18 inches in some places. Locating the trail was difficult, as the myriad of hiker tracks could attest. I did my best to stomp where the trail goes and placed sticks over the wrong tracks in the snow.

Walked all the way to Little Bald and back, beautiful sunny day. Need another week or two like that to melt all the snow. Rat went down from Little Bald to Spivey Gap and reported 24 inch drifts on the trail near the top. Tough hiking through there. The calendar may say spring but it's still winter at 5,000 feet.

Ox97GaMe
03-28-2010, 12:38
went out the past 3 days on the section from I-40 to Brown Gap (just south of Max Patch). The trail is now open, that is to say you dont have to get off trail to go around the blowdowns very often. There are still over 150 large trees down across the trail there, but you can walk the trail without having to go around all the debris.

Chaco, let me know the next time a crew goes out. I have free time during the week and can plan to help out. Even better that I am now chainsaw certified. :)

Chaco Taco
03-29-2010, 11:29
went out the past 3 days on the section from I-40 to Brown Gap (just south of Max Patch). The trail is now open, that is to say you dont have to get off trail to go around the blowdowns very often. There are still over 150 large trees down across the trail there, but you can walk the trail without having to go around all the debris.

Chaco, let me know the next time a crew goes out. I have free time during the week and can plan to help out. Even better that I am now chainsaw certified. :)
Wed 8 oclock am. Ill post the spot when I know

10-K
03-29-2010, 11:33

I just hiked that section and it's in pretty good shape.

Now, the TEHCC folks will be needing some major help.......

Mango
03-29-2010, 12:27
A friend and I did Spivey G. to the Nolichucky this weekend. The first couple of miles north of Spivey had been cleaned up by maintainers and looked great. However, we hit a section about halfway to No Business Knob shelter with some horrible blowdowns. A couple of times we just stopped and thought "Now whadda we do?" These were on very steep slopes, and we couldn't see an obvious bypass that didn't require rappelling ropes and crampons for mud. We finally made it through, but it was VERY slow going. A special thanks to all trail maintainers, even Chaco.

10-K
03-29-2010, 12:31
A friend and I did Spivey G. to the Nolichucky this weekend. The first couple of miles north of Spivey had been cleaned up by maintainers and looked great. However, we hit a section about halfway to No Business Knob shelter with some horrible blowdowns. A couple of times we just stopped and thought "Now whadda we do?" These were on very steep slopes, and we couldn't see an obvious bypass that didn't require rappelling ropes and crampons for mud. We finally made it through, but it was VERY slow going. A special thanks to all trail maintainers, even Chaco.

Those are definitely major blowdowns... I was hiking before dawn and climbed over and around them using a headlamp.

I hiked from Devil's Fork Gap to Nolichucky this past weekend and didn't see anybody all the way to NBK shelter -did you stay there Saturday night? I went by there around 8:00 am and there were 2 people sleeping in the shelter and a couple of tents.

Chaco Taco
03-29-2010, 15:45
Nah I aint really been out yet. Heading out Wed if all goes well

YEa Street Gap to Spivey Got alot of attention. I think they are heading in south this week to get the big stuff

Tennessee Viking
03-29-2010, 15:59
Those are definitely major blowdowns... I was hiking before dawn and climbed over and around them using a headlamp.

I hiked from Devil's Fork Gap to Nolichucky this past weekend and didn't see anybody all the way to NBK shelter -did you stay there Saturday night? I went by there around 8:00 am and there were 2 people sleeping in the shelter and a couple of tents.
Thats why the call it No Business...no one should have any business there...lol

Spivey Gap to Nolichucky is a very remote. Hard to access area for maintainers.

dmax
03-29-2010, 16:23
What about driving down the road from Spivey Gap? The one that goes to the bottom of Temple Hill by Granny Lewis Creek. Its been a few years but a good 4x4 would make it up the old road to the AT. Otherwise I think its about 1/2 - 1 mile walk to the AT from there. But the gravel road from the top of Spivey is long.

Cabin Fever
03-29-2010, 16:34
I just hiked that section and it's in pretty good shape.

Now, the TEHCC folks will be needing some major help.......

We have been cranking full steam for weeks. You should see how many trail maintenance reports are coming in. There was more trail covered than not on the weekend of the 20th when it was so nice. My section is clear by golly - even though no one likes it.

10-K
03-29-2010, 16:36

There was a jeep parked on a logging road about 2 miles north of NBK shelter - I guess ya'll probably know about that, right?

Chaco Taco
03-29-2010, 16:43

And that climb outta Spivey aint no joke either

Chaco Taco
03-30-2010, 11:14
The work order for tomorrow 3/31/10 is Garenflo Gap up to Bluff Mtn and they will have a saw crew up there as well

The Cleaner
05-26-2010, 17:59
Watch out Chaco Taco...we maintainers will probably talk you into helping with Konnarock. Carolina's project this year is....relocating trail in between Flint Gap up to Shelton Graves.

Plus, the Carolina Club's MST crew will need a lot of help clearing blowdowns all along its Blue Ridge Parkway section.
Does anyone know if the Flint mtn>Shelton graves will go through the Rocky Fork purchase?Is there a link to a map of the relo?

Tennessee Viking
05-26-2010, 19:27
http://www.acarroll-gis.org/PowerPoints/rockyfork_files/frame.htm

The relo route is probably not going to be made public until it is finished. But the word I got from the Asheville ATC office is that the relo will start just south of the Shelton Graves (about a 100 yards or so). The gravesite and path to Green Ridge Trail will become a side trail. The AT will drop down on the TN side into the Rock Fork drainage, and sidehill down to Flint Gap.

Konnarock and CMC will start the relo work this summer.

Supposedly the old road system in the Rocky Fork Tract will become trail and be developed into a backcountry recreation area. The RFT trails will suppossedly will hit the AT at Flint Gap and Big Butt.

The Cleaner
05-26-2010, 21:34
I've (10 years) been hiking from Clarks creek up Long Arm Branch to ridge top then follow ridge,also state line,go past old hunters shack then come in to very wide woods road skirt Wilson knob and Sampson Mtn Wilderness.Follow road till fork to Middle Spring ridge,also Squibb Creek trail then up switchback past cliff overlook then about 1 mile through heath bald to AT at Big Butt junction.Never met anyone and there are 2 springs on road past Wilson Knob...Great country can see Big Bald&I-26 from overlook.....