PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers hike question

joec
03-21-2010, 18:21
I am taking a newbie couple up to Mt Rogers to hike this weekend. We are planning on doing a loop starting at Massie Gap and going around using the AT and Pine Mountain trail as the loop. Just wondering if the trails are marked well and will Pine Mountain trail be easy to spot from the AT. It is calling for cloudy with chances of rain and I do not want to be stumbling around looking for trails if the weather is iffy. Any other comments about this hike is welcome. BTW, we tried this last year and got rained out about 2 miles in. Never made it to Pine Mountain trail.

JJJ
03-21-2010, 19:11
The confluence of trails at Rhododendren Gap can be a little tricky for some folks as an orange blaze horse trail is generally parallel to the blue blaze Pine Mt trail but meets it at the Gap.

I would recommend calling the Grayson Highlands ranger for an up to date status before I traveled far. Or a very recent traveler -especially the Pine Mt Trail.
As of yesterday there was still a large snowdrift on the NW edge of the Whitetop bald that could be seen for 15-20 miles.
It's very possible there will be snow in the shaded spots next weekend, but my guess is old snow won't be an issue.

Doctari
03-21-2010, 21:11
I would stop (Visitors center, MRO in Damascus, on line) & get a detailed map of the area. The one put out by the ATC is stellar. I think it's VA #1.

Marta
03-22-2010, 07:10
I like the National Geographic map of the area.

bigcranky
03-22-2010, 07:30
There are two places where the AT intersects the Pine Mountain Trail. Assuming you are going counter-clockwise, at the northeast end of Pine Mountain, about 1.5 miles north of Scales (large fenced corral that you pass through), the intersection is (has always been) well marked with a sign. You'll pass through a gate on the AT 20 feet before the intersection.

On the other side of the PMT is Rhododendron Gap, where several foot and horse trails come together. If you come up the PMT, you'll walk out into the gap and find the AT directly in front of you (you'll want to turn left to get to Massey Gap.)

As JJJ noted, if you are going clockwise, and get the Rhodo Gap first, it's a little hard to find the Pine Mountain Trail. On the AT, walk into Rhododendron Gasp, and look to the right. There is an obvious big horse trail with a fence. Directly ahead of you is a really big rock. The PMT is in between the two -- look for the wooden sign and the blue blazes disappearing into the low woods.

joec
03-22-2010, 08:08
I think the length of this loop is 12 miles? Am I close?

Cabin Fever
03-22-2010, 08:35
I think there is a good bit of snow still up there which will make finding the different trails a challenge.

bigcranky
03-22-2010, 10:07
Yeah, 12-ish miles.

mtnkngxt
03-22-2010, 11:15
Doctari is right it is VA Map 1. I'm looking at it right now.

briankeithsmith
03-22-2010, 11:44
Good bit of snow still up there.
I was up there this weekend:
http://gallery.me.com/briankeithsmith#100031&bgcolor=black&view=grid