PDA

View Full Version : For how long will most places hold packages?

DrRichardCranium
03-21-2010, 23:52
For example, if I get to Damascus and want to send my cold weather sleeping bag to New Hampshire, will they hold it for 3 months?

I am trying to do this thru-hike with no home support, if possible.

fiddlehead
03-22-2010, 00:06
The Postal service is required to hold them 30 days.
If you want an exception to this, I believe you can ask (call them) but, realize that these places have limited space and it's putting them out.

It might be better to send it to a hostel.
Try Glencliff hostel maybe? (Hikers Welcome) (and offer to pay them for their help when you get there perhaps)

rambunny
03-22-2010, 10:29
At our hostel we hold 3 months,but if someone called and said they would be later than that we definatly would hold it. I think most hostels are the same.

Ox97GaMe
03-22-2010, 11:59
it is always a good idea to put an estimated arrival date on any packages you send. hostels and post offices can then set your package so as to not have to sort through it every day every time a hiker comes in looking for their package. I think the duration is different for the various hostels.

singingpilgrim
03-22-2010, 17:30
Good question. I'm glad I read this b/c I was wondering the same thing about bounce boxes of cold weather stuff. :)

Panzer1
03-22-2010, 19:01
3 months is a long time to hold a package. I bet a lot of hikers would quit the trail before 3 months. then how would you get your package back.

Panzer

warraghiyagey
03-22-2010, 19:11
I don't know of any hostel in the northeast that ships boxes back before the end of the hiker season. . . if you haven't caught up to your box by then you've probly left the trail anyway and should contact the hostels/or post offices to recover your supplies. . .

jnetx
03-22-2010, 19:23
You could put it in a Priority mail box and mail it up to about 1 month ahead. If you don't open the box on receipt you can forward it on for free, so send to where you'll beanother month ahead.

Just don't forget where you sent it to, or to stop for it!

Blissful
03-22-2010, 19:54
Better to have someone remail it = I wouldn't want (perhaps) expensive cold weather gear hanging out somewhere for 3 months myself. Too risky. Even with a PO.

Panzer1
03-23-2010, 13:59
I think the best thing is to leave the box at home and have someone from home mail it when you call.

Panzer

SawnieRobertson
03-23-2010, 14:25
Just don't forget where you sent it to, or to stop for it!

Major problem, but avoidable with an admission of possible dementia followed by remedies like writing notes to oneself . . . if one can remember where the notes are. Getting there quicker than I like.--Kinnickinic

10-K
03-23-2010, 15:57
I think the best thing is to leave the box at home and have someone from home mail it when you call.

Panzer

Plus you can have the box filled with exactly what you need at that time.

weary
03-23-2010, 18:28
Major problem, but avoidable with an admission of possible dementia followed by remedies like writing notes to oneself . . . if one can remember where the notes are. Getting there quicker than I like.--Kinnickinic
You have my sympathies, Kinnickinic. My mind remains sharp as a tack. Well, except for remembering names, dates, places, and words.

Weary

jnetx
03-23-2010, 18:45

Only reason I mentioned being sure to remember is I lost a bounce box in '08. Could have been lost in the mail, but also could be I just sent it somewhere then forgot where!

fw2008
03-25-2010, 00:23
You don't want to use a family member or friend to handle this for you?
That always seems like the best option.

I'm trying to read up in the AT Data book, and the Thru-Hiker's companion. Have you checked these refs for info on holding packages?

Arden2010