PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Tent

RGB
03-22-2010, 05:46
Hey all, I am looking for a tent that meets the below criteria, and could really use some help. I would like this tent to be:

3-Person
3-Season
Very waterproof
Well ventilated
Long enough for a 6' 3" guy to be comfortable in
Ample room for 2 people and 2 long distance packs
Less than 6 lbs.
Doesn't take up much pack space
Durable
As inexpensive as possible*

I would absolutely LOVE to find a tent that meets as many of the criteria as possible, and would really appreciate any help in finding one.

*Let's say cheap for me is $250, ballpark. I will most likely be going halfsies on this.

jrwiesz
03-22-2010, 06:11
MSR Hubba Bubba? :sun

johnnybgood
03-22-2010, 06:12
Henry Shires Tarptents might be worth looking into and meet your criteria

Secret Squirrel
03-22-2010, 06:39
I have a Black Diamond Vista 3 that I use for family camping. It will easily fit 2 with gear and then some. I paid $245 at REI. I'm sure that was a sale price. It weighs just over 6 pounds. It is a durable and waterproof tent.

DAJA
03-22-2010, 08:26
Henry Shires Tarptents might be worth looking into and meet your criteria

They don't ventilate well and are tight for two, especially when one of the two is a large person.

For your price point, I'd suggest the REI Quarter Dome T3. Cost is around $300 and weights slightly under 5lbs.. There are lighter options, but for much much more money..

Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 costs $500
Big Agnes Seed House SL3 costs $419 and only has one door, which is a pain for two people.
MSR Carbon Reflex 3 cost $599, would likely be the lightest option but is not free standing and I believe single door.
MSR Mutha Hubba $419 big and roomy, but well above your price point.

The REI is heavier, but a very good value and a warrenty that can't be beat..

Good luck!

10-K
03-22-2010, 08:32
The first tent I bought when I started backpacking was a North Face Rock 22. It's a regular bomb shelter with ample room for both my son and myself (we're both over 6' tall).

I see that they make the same tent in a 3 man version - the Rock 32, and it sells directly from The North Face for $209 and weights 5 lbs , 15 ozs.

If it's anything like the Rock 22 and you don't mind the weight this would be a solid choice.

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=70235&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11750&variationId=854

NotYet
03-22-2010, 09:10
We have a Henry Shires Rainshadow 2. It's a 3 person tarptent with LOTS of space...we fit 2 people, all our gear and our dog in it with plenty of room to spare, and it only weighs 42 oz. It has been in some extremely windy/rainy conditions and we didn't get the least bit wet; we've never had an issue with it not venting well, and it sets up fast. It's been really great, and we've been impressed with the design! The only downside has been that it only has a single front door...making entry and exit a little clumsy for us.

We've recently switched to the much smaller Lunar Duo from SixMoonDesigns, so we're thinking about selling the Rainshadow 2. If you haven't already, you should definitely go to www.tarptent.com to check out the specs for this model.

butts0989
03-22-2010, 10:15
+1 HS tarptents. preferably the rain shadow, plenty of room. look into 1 wall shelters if you havent had one before to see how to ventilate. the quality is great and they're light as hell.

RGB
03-22-2010, 10:22
Thank you all very much for your input! I'll probably be researching all of these when I should be paying attention in Business Law today. ;)

RGB
03-22-2010, 11:18
The REI T3 is looking good right now. If anyone has any grievances against it I'd love to hear them. Or any experience, rather, positive or negative.

Jaybird
03-22-2010, 11:51
Ahhhhhh...the "PERFECT" tent!....the HOLY GRAIL for hikers...or is that
the "PERFECT" boots...

Just like boots...for the hiker...its strictly INDIVIDUAL tastes & needs...

I lke a small BIVY type tent...but some like to have a roomier (bigger) version.

I carry a small tent TEXSPORT KNOLLWOOD BIVY tent (listed as a 2 man tent)
rated @ 3lbs (w/ stakes)

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&resnum=0&q=texsport+knollwood+bivy+tent&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=kpCnS5PFK9evtweJlcGtCA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CCMQzAMwAw

listed on the Internet in most places for less than $50!:D

i had my 1st version for 3 seasons...& now bought my 2nd...

& will be carrying it with me on my 2 week section hike Apr 24-May 8th
Clarks Valley,PA NOBO to Greenwood Lake,NY (NY 17-A)

white_russian
03-22-2010, 11:58
The REI T3 is looking good right now. If anyone has any grievances against it I'd love to hear them. Or any experience, rather, positive or negative.
I think the only negative thing most people have to say is that it weighs more than a tarptent/smd but those comparisons are really apples and oranges. I have a the smaller version, the T2, and it is great. Like I said it is a brick when I compare it to my Gatewood/Serenity combo, but the T2 is like a luxury second home where the Gatewood is like a shack that can keep you dry if you use it right.

mister krabs
03-22-2010, 13:21
The Alps Zephyr/Zenith 3 meets all of your specs, I chose it over a mutha hubba or a T3. It's also less than half the cost of those.

Hey all, I am looking for a tent that meets the below criteria, and could really use some help. I would like this tent to be:

3-Person Check 40 sq. ft.
3-Season Check Poly Fly over noseeum body
Very waterproof Check Poly Fly over noseeum body
Well ventilated Check Poly Fly over noseeum body
Long enough for a 6' 3" guy to be comfortable in Check I'm 6'2" and at 89" it's 5" longer than the T3
Ample room for 2 people and 2 long distance packs Check 40 sq. ft. & 17 feet in double vestibules
Less than 6 lbs. Check Total Weight: 5 lb. 7 oz. less without stuffsacks, extra line.
Doesn't take up much pack space This is subjective, but OK when split up.
Durable Check Poly fly instead of nylon, 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta floor
As inexpensive as possible* Check only 109 at sierra trading post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=1480C&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=ALPS_Mountaineering_Zenith_3_AL_Tent_-_3-Person_3-Season&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE2KX&codesProcessed=true)

I would absolutely LOVE to find a tent that meets as many of the criteria as possible, and would really appreciate any help in finding one.

*Let's say cheap for me is $250, ballpark. I will most likely be going halfsies on this.

I've got one, just used it this weekend for about the 10th time. Got rained on and stayed completely dry, again.

On top of the attributes you're looking for, it's also got two doors and two vestibules, it's very simple to set up, with no fiddeling about.

My Zephyr 3 is just as well made as the MSR, BA or REI tents that I've checked out.

Raul Perez
03-22-2010, 15:12
I have video of my T2 withstanding a minor flood and turning my bottom into a water bed. No water got in!!! Let me know if you want the video

DapperD
03-23-2010, 10:52

3-Person
3-Season
Very waterproof
Well ventilated
Long enough for a 6' 3" guy to be comfortable in
Ample room for 2 people and 2 long distance packs
Less than 6 lbs.
Doesn't take up much pack space
Durable
As inexpensive as possible*

*Let's say cheap for me is $250, ballpark. I will most likely be going halfsies on this.How about this:http://www.moontrail.com/sierra-designs-lightning-xt-3.html

Sassafras Lass
03-23-2010, 11:02
I would say a TarpTent as well.

I suppose I'm a bit biased b/c my husband and I are getting the Double Rainbow http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html for our GA-ME thru next year, but I've heard many great things about them. They're durable, lightweight, don't have bigger condensation issues than other tents in it's class, and are generally well-designed.

At any rate, I would buy one and try it to make sure it will suit your needs; I believe that Henry offers a 30-day money-back guarantee (as long as it's not torn to hell or has cat pee or reasonably anything else wrong with it.)

Trailweaver
03-23-2010, 11:06
I have the REI Quarter Dome and love everything about it - it keeps me drier than any tent I've ever had, and has more room than any tent I've had.

Jim Adams
03-23-2010, 15:28
Checkout the Kelty Gunnison 3. Lots of room, very dry, good quality, I think it is around 6 lbs, around $250 and FREE STANDING! I had a Vortex 2 (predecessor) that lasted 15+ years. I now have a Gunnison 2 and a 3, my son has a 4, all good tents.

geek

Yukon
03-23-2010, 15:34
I can't say enough good things about our Big Agnes Copper Spur 3, too bad you didn't have the extra cheddar to spend on it, it's an awesome tent. Good luck with finding the right one :)

LIhikers
03-23-2010, 22:32
Sierra Designs Sirrius 3.
A 3 person tent with 1/2 single wall and the other 1/2 is mesh with a fly.
Leave the fly off, or rolled up, and there's more ventilation than you need.
Install the fly in the case of bad weather.
Plus it's got 2 doors.

HikerRanky
03-24-2010, 10:05
Checkout the Kelty Gunnison 3. Lots of room, very dry, good quality, I think it is around 6 lbs, around $250 and FREE STANDING! I had a Vortex 2 (predecessor) that lasted 15+ years. I now have a Gunnison 2 and a 3, my son has a 4, all good tents.

geek

I'll second the Gunnison 3. Tons of room, and only $210 from campmor.com...

Randy

Username75
03-25-2010, 02:59
If You could find a Gerry 3 Man tent, they were the best
almost 8 foot long 5'8" across plent of center higth .
sort of like a 30/60 Triangle with a Built on rain fly.
But they haven't been made in Years.
they had a Small pack size about 8 inch by 20 inch
and weighrd 4.8 pounds
came in Blue/brown/dark & lite green