PDA

View Full Version : Speer top quilt questions

TDale
10-07-2004, 15:42
Anyone out there using Speer top quilts?

I thinking of using on in a tent, on a pad. Are they big enough for a 6', jacket size 44L sidesleeper? Are their temp ratings accurate? Anything else you want to share?

TIA

Nevermind, Got the answer from Ed Speer.

Fiddleback
10-09-2004, 11:37
Please share that answer.

FB

TDale
10-09-2004, 12:30
They aren't wide enough for ground sleepers.

Fiddleback
10-09-2004, 13:36
Thanks...anybody out there with hammock experience and this blanket?

FB

ncmtns
10-18-2004, 17:35
and also the synthetic Pea Pod. Unless you dont move while sleeping, the quilt is too narrow and will uncover you as you roll to your side on a pad. As far as on a hammock, I have learned to put my quilt between my hammock and Pea Pod for superb insulation. Matter of fact, 2 nights ago it got down to 38* with a 10 to 15 mile an hour winds. My set up was a breathable wind breaker 'tub' under the Pea Pod. Then the Pea Pod, next the quilt, then the hammock. I wore long johns and hiking pants, shirt and poly army pull over jacket. I was incredibly warm with just this set up. I was thinking about getting another quilt to lay on top of me, but found this some restrictive inside the hammock and Pea Pod closed over me. I think for below freezing weather I will just try using warmer clothes to sleep in instead of any kind of blanket. The great factor of having the Pea Pod is the air warms up inside where you sleep and I for one have a problem breathing that dry cold outside air while sleeping.
My only wish is that I could have afforded Speer's Down Pea Pod, but the synthetic one is great too.

Fiddleback
10-18-2004, 20:37
Thanks, ncmtns, for the details. I've slept in the Hennessey at 28F with no sleeping bag. I wore light polypro underware, 200wt fleece pullover and pants, balaclava and fleece gloves, and down booties with fleece socks. I had cold toes but I think that was a circulation issue brought about by a poor hang of the hammock (my first trail night with it). Last month I did about 32F with Integral Designs' Dolomitti jacket and Denali pants, same balaclava, gloves and booties but with wool socks. I also had my bag with me which I used as a quilt (I took the bag because of the weather forecast -- we got the crappy weather but the snow/sleet/rain kept the temps up). It was the hottest I've ever slept on the trail...even much warmer than I sleep at home. Both times there was light to no wind and I used a 1/4" pad covered/lined with a thin fleece throw.

I'm waiting to test out a different combination at colder temps but the weather isn't cooperating. We had one night at 20F a week ago but ever since it's been in the mid- to high-30s. I want to try the same Integral Designs combination but with Smartwool underware instead of the polypros. In this combo I think I can be comfortable at 25F without a bag. So when our colder weather returns I'll test out this kit in the backyard.

In my part of the country I have to be prepared for freezing weather Memorial Day thru Labor Day. Since I'm carrying the clothes for that eventuality already I can use 'em as my sleep system too and save the weight of the bag. If I can't do 25F comfortably I'll be in the market for a top quilt and that's why I appreciate your report.

FB

peter_pan
10-19-2004, 09:22
Fiddleback,

You may want to check the family of quilts at www.jacksrbetter.com (http://www.jacksrbetter.com) designed for hammocks they work on the ground, as well, for regular size hikers. Bonus for Montana is that they are wearable.

Fiddleback
10-19-2004, 11:05
peter pan -- You bet! Been to the site lots including last night when I wrote the above post. If I can't make my target temp comfortably a quilt, or maybe a homemade elephant's foot, is next.

Got suckered by the weather last night...mid-30s forecast, 25 when I got up. I'll catch it yet :cool:

FB

neo
12-27-2004, 03:47
i use a 30 degree liteloft ed speer quilt,they are narrow 40 in wide,i had him put a custom draw cord at foot box.i added an elastic band at the shoulder and waist to keep the quilt closer to my body.it works fairly good,i would recommed the jacks are better quilt over a speer quilt:sun neo