PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: Harpers Ferry - Post Offices - Resupply

AeroGuyDC
03-22-2010, 10:59
As part of my planning for a 10-day section hike, i've determined that I will likely arrive in Harpers Ferry on Day 5, which happens to be a Sunday. As luck would have it, it seems like a mail drop might be out of the question since I presume the Post Office will be closed. But, if I set up camp near HF, I suppose I could go to the PO on Monday morning.

Are there other options for a mail drop in Harpers Ferry? Or would it be easier to hitch a ride into town and resupply at Wal-mart, etc?

What would you do in my situation?

white_russian
03-22-2010, 11:11
ATC office is a great place for a mail drop. Open 9-5 everyday.

Cookerhiker
03-22-2010, 11:44
According to The Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/wv-ny10.pdf), the Harpers Ferry Hostel which is actually in MD but very close, accepts maildrops - go to Page 9 of the PDF file link. But it looks like they don't open until mid-April so you may want to call them. I don't remember when your hike occurs.

Also try sending a PM to Jester for advice.

Jester2000
03-22-2010, 11:53
The Outfitter accepts packages for hikers. Open 10-6 every day. Packages can be shipped UPS or Fedex to this address:

The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry
189 High Street
Harpers Ferry, WV 25425

We do not have local mail delivery in the lower town, so if sending USPS, mail to:

The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry
PO Box 1231
Harpers Ferry, WV 25425

Because we don't go to the PO every day, packages should be sent well in advance of your expected arrival date. We don't charge a fee to hold packages. ATC does accept packages for hikers as well. As already mentioned, the AYH Hostel also accepts packages, but despite their name, they're not actually in Harpers Ferry.

If you're in DC and are headed up this way any time before your hike, you could also just drop off the package.