PDA

View Full Version : Big Disappointment

Chaco Taco
03-22-2010, 22:45
Im very disappointed in Henry Shires. I bought a new tent from him just over a month ago, took it out, didnt like it. NOW, he has a revised the tent to correct the things that are, in my opinion, major things that make me dislike this tent. I have a tent now that is so devalued that no one wants to buy it. Why couldnt he let me know that he was revising it to correct some things?

Wise Old Owl
03-22-2010, 22:47
nobody will have a good answer for that one, sorry to hear that.

Chaco Taco
03-22-2010, 22:52
nobody will have a good answer for that one, sorry to hear that.

I hear ya, just really sucks. :)

bullseye
03-22-2010, 22:52
Im very disappointed in Henry Shires. I bought a new tent from him just over a month ago, took it out, didnt like it. NOW, he has a revised the tent to correct the things that are, in my opinion, major things that make me dislike this tent. I have a tent now that is so devalued that no one wants to buy it. Why couldnt he let me know that he was revising it to correct some things?

CT, did you call Henry? He's a good dude, and maybe if you explained the situation he could work something out.

Chaco Taco
03-22-2010, 22:54
CT, did you call Henry? He's a good dude, and maybe if you explained the situation he could work something out.

I thought about that........maybe I just needed to hear it from someone else:cool:

butts0989
03-22-2010, 23:07
seriously, i mean he may read this thread too but i would call him and see if you could possibly return it. from what you've told me its in perfect condition. let him know.

Reid
03-22-2010, 23:14
Yea he's on BPL. He'd probably have responded had it been. If it's something they can upgrade on a previously made tent then they will do it I think and make it a good deal. Obviously you'd have to pay something or maybe not I don't know. I've heard from a few different people who had done this. I have to say though that it pays to do your homework first too. I've got a few tents, even a TT that I'm dissapointed in too. It didn't help to have one thread dissing it and another trying to sale it either haha. Hope it works out for you.

skinewmexico
03-22-2010, 23:20
My theory - call before you complain. It's not like you got it from a big box store. Henry went so far out of his to help me with a problem once, I still can't believe. I'll never buy anyone else's tent. Free to ask anyway.

I would have to say, you've got what? three threads about how much you dislike this tent? I seriously doubt you'd like the replacement, although it would be easier to resell.

The_Saint
03-23-2010, 00:52
What model is it?

skinewmexico
03-23-2010, 00:58
Double Rainbow

mweinstone
03-23-2010, 00:59
return it choc.demand.then pleed. then beg.

Franco
03-23-2010, 03:35
Chaco Taco
I am closely associated with Tarptent. As a "fan" for several years but soon as a point of contact for the brand in Australia. So take my comments as you like.

With most products , when the new version comes out , it usually is better than the previous one. That really is the all point.
Some industries change more often then others. Having worked for 30 years in the photo industry , for the last 10 years or so my standard line had been "if it's on the shelf ,it's obsolete".
That was meant to be a bit of a joke but in reality , as a buyer, I was aware that a new version of a lot of my stock was in the pipe line.
Tents generally change a lot slower than that , but they do.
This year Macpac (NZ) changed to silnylon. So pretty much every shelter is around 20% lighter.
I bet that people that bought one recently will find it a bit hard to sell theirs.
Black Diamond are changing from Epic to Nano Shield. Similar weight but more waterproof. Same result.
The early adopters of the MSR Hubba Hubba bought the single door version. A year later MSR changed to the double door. Did the early adopters get a compensation?
Even a very traditional and slow to upgrade brand like Hilleberg eventually had to add a vent to the Akto.
So for the next couple of years people looking at them on s/h market were asking "does it have a vent?"
My Rainbow was one of a small batch that Henry had done as a pre-production trial run. I already had confirmed my intention to purchase that one weeks before. So now it is three models old. All the new ones are nicer because they incorporate suggestion from ...people like me.
Should Henry compensate me for having a three time obsolete tent ?
So , yes I do understand you are not happy, but let me put it this way.
A few days ago I purchased for $319 a video camera that I (well my staff) used to sell 3 years ago for $1499 ($1699 RRP). It is now well and truly "obsolete" but it was one of the rear models that lasted a few years. Now, if I had purchased that at $1499 3 years ago, or $899 a few weeks ago (Canon just dumped the last few on the market) how do you think I would feel now ?
BTW, the one I bought was on E Bay for $199, no takers...(it just happens that I prefer tapes to SD cards)
And by the way, since at this point SMD fans pop up, Ron has upgraded most of his shelters too....
Franco

Roland
03-23-2010, 04:11

Chaco Taco, did you forget making these posts in the last few weeks? (taken from this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60102))

Im not liking the whole single wall thing. I have a Double Rainbow, bought a month ago. Has been in the woods for 3 nites. I would like to go back to a double wall tent. Would anyone want to trade for a slightly used Hubba Hubba?

You know, this is exactly what Im thinking. I have always used a North Face Rock 22. Love it. Best tent I have ever used. Just a bit heavy. BUT this thing was a bombshelter. Got the new version and had a mishap with it. Sooo we started researching the single wall UL options. Went with a Lunar Duo, hated it. Dont like a pair of hiking poles in the doorway. The zippers are way too small and they catch on everything. Condensation sucks. Never had an issue with it this much and I dont like it. Waking up with stuff on my sleeping bag, gear, pack, jacket every morning is not worth $260. Im old school now I guess. I love the weight but Id rather carry an extra 2 pounds and have dryness! I hike in adverse weather alot and cannot say Im impressed with the overall performance of these tents. Neither is Wak. The signs point to a Hubba Hubba for us. Same dimensions as our old faithful just a bit lighter. So who wants this?

And this one, posted a few days later... (full thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60183))

Brand new double rainbow. Been used for 3 nights total, all in the last week. Im cleaning it up. This tent retails for $260 without seam sealing. I have seam sealed it and will ship it clean. Im asking $250 and cannot negotiate this. This includes the seam sealing and shipping for a brand new tent. I will be working the next few days so it will not ship til Monday. Thanks for the interest everyone.

You tried a few single-wall tents; a HS Tarptent and a Lunar Duo and decided you prefer a traditional, double-wall tent.

So, you tried to trade the Tarptent for a double-wall Hubba Hubba. No takers.

Then you tried to sell your used Tarptent for $10 less than Henry Shires sells them. No takers.

After you decided to replace your Tarptent, and had already advertised to do so, someone told you that Henry Shires made a design change. Now you're using the design change as the reason for your dissatisfaction.

Shame on you.

RGB
03-23-2010, 05:02
Chaco Taco
I am closely associated with Tarptent. As a "fan" for several years but soon as a point of contact for the brand in Australia. So take my comments as you like.

With most products , when the new version comes out , it usually is better than the previous one. That really is the all point.
Some industries change more often then others. Having worked for 30 years in the photo industry , for the last 10 years or so my standard line had been "if it's on the shelf ,it's obsolete".
That was meant to be a bit of a joke but in reality , as a buyer, I was aware that a new version of a lot of my stock was in the pipe line.
Tents generally change a lot slower than that , but they do.
This year Macpac (NZ) changed to silnylon. So pretty much every shelter is around 20% lighter.
I bet that people that bought one recently will find it a bit hard to sell theirs.
Black Diamond are changing from Epic to Nano Shield. Similar weight but more waterproof. Same result.
The early adopters of the MSR Hubba Hubba bought the single door version. A year later MSR changed to the double door. Did the early adopters get a compensation?
Even a very traditional and slow to upgrade brand like Hilleberg eventually had to add a vent to the Akto.
So for the next couple of years people looking at them on s/h market were asking "does it have a vent?"
My Rainbow was one of a small batch that Henry had done as a pre-production trial run. I already had confirmed my intention to purchase that one weeks before. So now it is three models old. All the new ones are nicer because they incorporate suggestion from ...people like me.
Should Henry compensate me for having a three time obsolete tent ?
So , yes I do understand you are not happy, but let me put it this way.
A few days ago I purchased for $319 a video camera that I (well my staff) used to sell 3 years ago for $1499 ($1699 RRP). It is now well and truly "obsolete" but it was one of the rear models that lasted a few years. Now, if I had purchased that at $1499 3 years ago, or $899 a few weeks ago (Canon just dumped the last few on the market) how do you think I would feel now ?
BTW, the one I bought was on E Bay for $199, no takers...(it just happens that I prefer tapes to SD cards)
And by the way, since at this point SMD fans pop up, Ron has upgraded most of his shelters too....
Franco

Something similar happened to me at Guitar Center last year, and I got a similar letter (email, i'm not good enough for paper) saying the same thing, just replace tent terminology with guitar terminology.

If the US offices are anything like the AU offices, I can tell you you're not going to be compensated.

Wheeler
03-23-2010, 05:36
franco........ he's not retarded; nor the rest of us. a good "go f yerself was all ya needed to say".Go back to "frumunda"

DAJA
03-23-2010, 07:43
There are two major weaknesses to cottage industries...

They don't have return policy's and limited quality control.

That said, perhaps we've been spoiled by the big box stores need to compensate to make up for lack luster quality with mass produced goods.. I feel for you Chaco, it's a frustrating situation, and one that many others fall into when the listen to the cult hype surounding various products..

Knock your price down well below retail, swallow the loss and move on...

Good luck!

DAJA
03-23-2010, 07:48
Oh and franco, generally I find you one of the most knowledgable and balanced posters on this board, but that post was not evidence of that..

Yukon
03-23-2010, 07:48
Chaco, get the Big Agnes Copper Spur and don't look back!!!

10-K
03-23-2010, 08:12
Always, always, always, always:

Contact the "cottage industry guy" you bought something from before complaining online. I have found that in every case where I've had a problem a solution was reached that was to my satisfaction.

I bought a pack a few months ago on clearance that I couldn't return. It didn't fit right - it was too tight in the shoulders. Solution: Send the pack back and for $20 he said he'd move the shoulders wherever I wanted them and ship it back.

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 08:22
Ok so I am complaining? I have a problem with the quality of something i bought from a guy and Im bashed for "complaining"? I wrote a review of my experience with it and was not satisfied with the performance of the product an have also have gotten alot of crap for it. Thats how this all works?
I will not accept a "loss" on this. I will contact Henry Shires to resolve it but Im not happy with alot of responses making me feel like Im an idiot. The problem i have with it is mainly the stuff that has been corrected in the revision.

DAJA
03-23-2010, 08:30
You have every right to give honest feedback on a product, and if Henry is half the man others claim him to be, he'd stand behind his product. I'm sure there are many many more on this board and in the woods with cottage industry single wall tents who regret their purchase but live with it because there is no easy recourse like returning it for something different.. So they live with it until they feel they've got their money out of it, then replace it with something more satisfactory...

More people should be honest about their feelings toward a product and perhaps those products wouldn't garner the cult status that they do...

This is no knock at Henry, or any cottage industry, just a reflection on some of my own experiences and those of others..

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 08:35
Dude Im not entitled to insert my opinion of something if I dislike it? Shame on you for being a jerk. Im dissatisfied with it and that is teh bottom line. I have contacted Henry and am pretty sure Ill be satisfied with the response. Like I said, Im not an idiot and you trying to point people in that direction is insulting. Obviously I did say those things in MY REVIEW of the tent. I know alot of people like these tents but I get bashed because Im one of the only ones that was not satisfied??? What the F ever

Chaco Taco, did you forget making these posts in the last few weeks? (taken from this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60102))

And this one, posted a few days later... (full thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60183))

You tried a few single-wall tents; a HS Tarptent and a Lunar Duo and decided you prefer a traditional, double-wall tent.

So, you tried to trade the Tarptent for a double-wall Hubba Hubba. No takers.

Then you tried to sell your used Tarptent for $10 less than Henry Shires sells them. No takers.

After you decided to replace your Tarptent, and had already advertised to do so, someone told you that Henry Shires made a design change. Now you're using the design change as the reason for your dissatisfaction.

Shame on you.

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 08:36
Thank you DAJA!

You have every right to give honest feedback on a product, and if Henry is half the man others claim him to be, he'd stand behind his product. I'm sure there are many many more on this board and in the woods with cottage industry single wall tents who regret their purchase but live with it because there is no easy recourse like returning it for something different.. So they live with it until they feel they've got their money out of it, then replace it with something more satisfactory...

More people should be honest about their feelings toward a product and perhaps those products wouldn't garner the cult status that they do...

This is no knock at Henry, or any cottage industry, just a reflection on some of my own experiences and those of others..

DAJA
03-23-2010, 08:56
Since Cottage Industries don't offer the ability to have a hands on experience with a given product, perhaps they should have a batch of demo products that could be mailed out for a trial run. Put a deposit on a credit card to protect the business, and allow people to try their products before purchase. It would be a good business practice since you can't touch and feel before buying, and you can't return after buying... Protects the image of the business and the wallet of the customer..

Alligator
03-23-2010, 08:59
Since Cottage Industries don't offer the ability to have a hands on experience with a given product, perhaps they should have a batch of demo products that could be mailed out for a trial run. Put a deposit on a credit card to protect the business, and allow people to try their products before purchase. It would be a good business practice since you can't touch and feel before buying, and you can't return after buying... Protects the image of the business and the wallet of the customer..What are you talking about?

From Henry Shires page (http://www.tarptent.com/faq.html).

Q: What is the Tarptent return and warranty policy?
A: Tarptents are fully guaranteed against fabric and workmanship failure and you may return one uninjured for a full refund within 90 days of purchase if not satisfied. That means you can set one up, even try it out overnight, and then decide if it's something that will work for you. Tarptents that have been used in the field will be evaluated for resale and partial credit returned to the original purchaser. Tarptents that have been seam-sealed with urethane or anything else other than silicone, applied as directed in the Tarptent product directions, will not be accepted. We stand behind every Tarptent and will make every effort to repair or replace products that fail due to defects in workmanship or materials. Normal wear and tear repairs will be done on a "non profit" basis and we will provide a price quote before beginning the work. In many cases, we charge only for the return shipping.You are making some wild statements about cottage industries here. You need to back those up.

DAJA
03-23-2010, 09:23
Thats a reasonable guarntee that Henry offers, however testing in your backyard overnight vs in field is a big big difference.. I just think it would be nice to take a product out for a real field test to determine if it is right for you... And if it's not, send it back and look for something different. Demo's would allow you too do this without losing any money for both the customer and business..

As an example, I once had a pair of Vasque hiking boots that I absolutely loved.. When they wore out I replaced them with a new pair bought from LLBean. However, I was not aware that they had moved manufacturing elsewhere, and these boots that I once loved where now not the same, so after several days, I simply returned them for a full refund... Happy customer and good public relations for the business.. Since cottage industry's can't offer this kind of guarntee, a demo program would be a good work around..

Alligator
03-23-2010, 09:30
There are two major weaknesses to cottage industries...

They don't have return policy's and limited quality control.

Good luck!Back this up. Plenty of them have return policies and warranties.

carobe
03-23-2010, 09:52
I bought and received a 2008 TT Rainbow at the beginning of the month (and thankfully hadn't seam-sealed it yet). I then saw last week on BPL that there was a new 2010 model. All I did was write back to Henry, explain my situation and he told me to send it back, and he'd exchange it. Plan and simple.

DAJA
03-23-2010, 10:16
Back this up. Plenty of them have return policies and warranties.

I'll clarify, many cottage industries don't have all encompasing 100% satisfaction guarntee's for the life of the product as the more traditional retailers do. And I understand why they don't, because they'd be out of business otherwise.

Offering someone the opportunity to test a product meant for outdoor use in your living room or back yard is not the equivilant of field testing... I just think it would be a useful business practice in these cases to offer a demo version of the product so that they can be properly used in the setting you plan to use the product, so you can truely see if it does what you expect it to do. And not be penialized for returning in the event your not satisfied..

I've had several products from tents, boots, clothing, rain gear etc, that just did not stand up to the task intended, and was easily able to return the product, sometimes several months or even a year later with full replacement cost. Because cottage industries can't offer this kind of guarntee, a demo program would offer the buyer a little more protection..

Espeically considering some of us don't live near these manufactures, nor even in the same country, import fee's, exchange rates, etc, make it difficult to take the chance on a product when you only have a dooryard or living room test to make a decision without penalty.

I once had an experience with a car top tent manufacturer, called OverCamp... Within the first week of use the noseeum mesh began to tear away at the seam. This was a $1200 tent.. It took several phone calls, and eventually a trip to Montreal (8hrs each way) and a near fist fight with the Canadian rep to get a satisfactory fix to the problem. Despite a warrenty that claimed to protect me against manufactures defects..

I've rarely hear anyone speak negitive about Henry so i'm sure he does the best he can to stand behind his products, but I prefer a 100% satisfaction guarntee for the life of a product, otherwise, i'd want the opportunity to run it through its paces before purchasing to ensure it is what I expect it to be. A demo program would allow this..

10-K
03-23-2010, 10:23
A demo program would allow this..

It's not a bad idea but I don't think you'll ever see it.

Even in the case of Henry's tent... Unless you're cruel to your gear, and as you don't seam seal it, who's going to know if you tested it on the trail or in your back yard.

You can't look at a tent and tell where it was pitched. Take it out for a weekend trip and treat it like you're going to keep it.

Red Beard
03-23-2010, 10:27
Dude Im not entitled to insert my opinion of something if I dislike it? Shame on you for being a jerk. Im dissatisfied with it and that is teh bottom line. I have contacted Henry and am pretty sure Ill be satisfied with the response. Like I said, Im not an idiot and you trying to point people in that direction is insulting. Obviously I did say those things in MY REVIEW of the tent. I know alot of people like these tents but I get bashed because Im one of the only ones that was not satisfied??? What the F ever

Henry is a very good guy to deal with, however lots of the "Church of TarpTent" guys on WB take it to the extreme. I like my TT Moment for what it is, but I prefer my tarp/bugnetting setup due to the flexibility it allows. In really bad weather a TarpTent alone just doesn't work well for me. That's a personal opinion, and doesn't mean TT products are of inferior quality. I remember getting raked over the coals by Franco and Family Guy for simply expressing a positive opinion about a different brand of tent (which was before I had bought any new UL gear). The fact remains that if you disagree with them, you'll be labeled an idiot.

DAJA
03-23-2010, 10:29
It's not a bad idea but I don't think you'll ever see it.

Even in the case of Henry's tent... Unless you're cruel to your gear, and as you don't seam seal it, who's going to know if you tested it on the trail or in your back yard.

You can't look at a tent and tell where it was pitched. Take it out for a weekend trip and treat it like you're going to keep it.

But how do you test a tent for storm protection if it's not seam sealed... I could care less how the tent performs on a sunny day.. I want to test it on a wet, windy, cold day.. When the protection it is meant to provide is needed. Again, a demo would allow this..

10-K
03-23-2010, 10:37
You know, off the topic a bit.... what I don't understand is how people have vastly different experiences with the same gear.

I've taken my Lunar Duo from Springer to Bear Mt., in all seasons and in every kind of weather imaginable and never once had a leak or condensation problem.

Other people take the same tent out once and you'd think it had holes in it or something.

What's up with that?

Alligator
03-23-2010, 10:40
I'll clarify, many cottage industries don't have all encompasing 100% satisfaction guarntee's for the life of the product as the more traditional retailers do. And I understand why they don't, because they'd be out of business otherwise.

Offering someone the opportunity to test a product meant for outdoor use in your living room or back yard is not the equivilant of field testing... I just think it would be a useful business practice in these cases to offer a demo version of the product so that they can be properly used in the setting you plan to use the product, so you can truely see if it does what you expect it to do. And not be penialized for returning in the event your not satisfied..

I've had several products from tents, boots, clothing, rain gear etc, that just did not stand up to the task intended, and was easily able to return the product, sometimes several months or even a year later with full replacement cost. Because cottage industries can't offer this kind of guarntee, a demo program would offer the buyer a little more protection..

Espeically considering some of us don't live near these manufactures, nor even in the same country, import fee's, exchange rates, etc, make it difficult to take the chance on a product when you only have a dooryard or living room test to make a decision without penalty.

I once had an experience with a car top tent manufacturer, called OverCamp... Within the first week of use the noseeum mesh began to tear away at the seam. This was a $1200 tent.. It took several phone calls, and eventually a trip to Montreal (8hrs each way) and a near fist fight with the Canadian rep to get a satisfactory fix to the problem. Despite a warrenty that claimed to protect me against manufactures defects..

I've rarely hear anyone speak negitive about Henry so i'm sure he does the best he can to stand behind his products, but I prefer a 100% satisfaction guarntee for the life of a product, otherwise, i'd want the opportunity to run it through its paces before purchasing to ensure it is what I expect it to be. A demo program would allow this..You want no risk as the consumer. You have to pay for that. Whose going to eat the demo cost? You as well. It will drive the cost of the product up. Beyond that, there are other reasons why that may not work. Often these folks have backlogs of orders as it is, so no real need nor opportunity to make demos. Not everything will demo either, nor last as long as one would like. Cottage gear is often ultralight gear, with limitations that the buyer needs to recognize. Backpacking gear wears out and not everyone uses their gear properly, particularly demos/rentals:D.

Personally, I wouldn't expect that the small manufacturing nature of these businesses can absorb a demo program.

While I enjoy the REI warranty, I will also do my research, ask questions where I can, read reviews, and accept the risk of other retailers.

Big Dawg
03-23-2010, 10:45
I bought and received a 2008 TT Rainbow at the beginning of the month (and thankfully hadn't seam-sealed it yet). I then saw last week on BPL that there was a new 2010 model. All I did was write back to Henry, explain my situation and he told me to send it back, and he'd exchange it. Plan and simple.

wow,,, simple & easy,,, right on!!

Henry's a great guy, and will take care of you Chaco, just give him a chance.

DAJA
03-23-2010, 10:47
You want no risk as the consumer. You have to pay for that. Whose going to eat the demo cost? You as well. It will drive the cost of the product up. Beyond that, there are other reasons why that may not work. Often these folks have backlogs of orders as it is, so no real need nor opportunity to make demos. Not everything will demo either, nor last as long as one would like. Cottage gear is often ultralight gear, with limitations that the buyer needs to recognize. Backpacking gear wears out and not everyone uses their gear properly, particularly demos/rentals:D.

Personally, I wouldn't expect that the small manufacturing nature of these businesses can absorb a demo program.

While I enjoy the REI warranty, I will also do my research, ask questions where I can, read reviews, and accept the risk of other retailers.

Absolutely agree with everything said here... I'm just a touchy feely kinda guy, so without a scratch and sniff, I get nervous... and as 10-k said, people have vastly different opinions of the same product... So I could research the heck out of something, think i'm satisfied, pull the trigger and purchase, only to find out i'm not satisfied...

Again, a big part of this is because we've been spoiled my the traditional retailers with their 100% satisfaction guarntee...

Maybe there would be a small fee attached to the demo program so if you really wanted to give a product a true going over, you could choose to try a demo and pay a small fee for the service... I don't know, just an idea..

Alligator
03-23-2010, 11:00
The reason I am even posting about here is this: I have seen a number of these cottage manufacturers, they follow WB, they post on WB, and they very often address concerns of WB members. And in the majority of cases, they provide outstanding customer service as well as a genuine concern for their products. Often they bend over backwards and up eating costs because folks are let's say extremely particular. Let's try to remember that they are small manufacturers who are innovative, provide niche products and they can be unduly affected by negativity.

Disclaimers:
Not directed at anyone in particular.
I have never owned or used a Shires product.

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2010, 11:00

You're disappointed in Henry Shires for improving his products? Doesn't even make sense.

butts0989
03-23-2010, 11:10
dear lord ya'll chill out we're talking about outdoor gear here. Chaco, you're not an idiot, you spent 250 bucks and want it back. All others who say "shame on you" have got some serious maturity issues. i would say just talk to henry. like a lot of others ive had a great experience dealing with him.

Praha4
03-23-2010, 11:35
Chaco

I always find your posts on WB interesting and helpful, ignore any personal criticisms, not worth responding.

I would like to know which TT model you are unsatisified with the on the quality issue. There is a difference between "quality" and "design" when you say you want to return it. You said you weren't happy with the "quality". which TT model was this?

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 11:54
You're disappointed in Henry Shires for improving his products? Doesn't even make sense.

REad my posts dude. Im disappointed that I bought the tent right before he revised it. he could have let me know "hey, Im revising the tent to make it better, wait a bit and get the newer version"

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 12:02
Chaco

I always find your posts on WB interesting and helpful, ignore any personal criticisms, not worth responding.

I would like to know which TT model you are unsatisified with the on the quality issue. There is a difference between "quality" and "design" when you say you want to return it. You said you weren't happy with the "quality". which TT model was this?

Thanks

Its the double rainbow. I seam sealed it and took it out. I was in some pretty bad weather for a few days and the condensation was really bad to the point that the inside of the tent got wet. Never had that issue with any tent besides the single wall tents.

:mad::mad:Seriously you guys, piss off for jumping on my back just because I have a problem with something someone sold me. People do make mistakes you know. No one is perfect. I have contacted HS and Im sure it will work itself out. i wish he would have told me that he was revising the tent. Im not using it as an excuse because the revisions are some of the exact problems I had with the tent. The sleeve that the pole is fed through is a pain when it is wet. Now its a different fabric that makes it easier to get the pole in and out. The front end now has the floor attachment that keeps splashing and wind from blowing water into the tent.

Some of you guys really need to get a life for jumping on me about disagreeing with you on a friggin tent. I just came here and gave my opinion about something and I get lynched. Im hoping to get a new revised tent and try it out to see what happens.

hshires
03-23-2010, 12:36
REad my posts dude. Im disappointed that I bought the tent right before he revised it. he could have let me know "hey, Im revising the tent to make it better, wait a bit and get the newer version"

Just now reading this. Chaco Taco sent me an email last night and I responded.

As for "he could have let me know", I do let people know about new product plans when they ask AND when I have definite information. In the case of the 2010 DR, when he ordered Jan 7 (and we shipped Jan 7), the new model was neither finalized nor was it in production nor did I know when it would ship nor did he ask. As it turned out, it went into production Feb 15 and started shipping March 10. Am I supposed to respond to every generic order with detailed product plans extending months out into the future? How would this work and what should be the proper cut off date?

-H

sherrill
03-23-2010, 12:39

Nice if this works for outdoor gear. Not the case for electronics, especially computers.

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 12:40

As for "he could have let me know", I do let people know about new product plans when they ask AND when I have definite information. In the case of the 2010 DR, when he ordered Jan 7 (and we shipped Jan 7), the new model was neither finalized nor was it in production nor did I know when it would ship nor did he ask. As it turned out, it went into production Feb 15 and started shipping March 10. Am I supposed to respond to every generic order with detailed product plans extending months out into the future? How would this work and what should be the proper cut off date?

-H

I understand Henry, I just thought I fell under the 90 day thing. Just forget it. Ill keep the tent and just take it as a loss

hshires
03-23-2010, 12:42
Send it back, we'll refund you.

-H

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 12:47
Send it back, we'll refund you.

-H
So we are emailing and posting here. Anyway, I emailed you and we can continue through there.

Lerenke
03-23-2010, 13:20
It is simply our culture of capitalism. It's not bad.

You bought tent A, he got money to revise it and did, He built and sold tent B. Now you want tent B.

Capatalism was designed years ago and many people have fought and died for it ( woah, cliche!). It keeps the money moving.

Guess what, tent B wont be the tent to end all tents, he will probably revise it. And guess what, when he does tent B will plumment in value. A lot of us have experience in the automobile market, we know the drill. Although one could argues the automoblie industry and it planned obsolensence is "bad"( for the purpose of time here). But something tells me that Henry Shires does not extensivley revise all his products every year and does not follow the philosophy of planned obsolesence.

And now I leave you with lyrics from a popular rock bands song:

the big three killed my baby
no money in my hand again
nobodys coming home again

their ideas make me wanna spit
a hundred dollars goes down the pit
thirty-thousand wheels a rollin
and my stick shift hands are swollen
everything involved is shady
the big three killed my baby yeah yeah yeah

nobodys comin home again

why dont cha take the day off and try to repair
a billion others don't seem to care
better ideas are stuck in the mud
the motor's runnin on tucker's blood
dont let 'em tell you the future's electric
cuz gasoline not measured in metric
thirty-thousand wheels a spinnin
and oil company faces are grinnin
and now my hand are turnin red
and i found out my baby is dead yeah yeah yeah

nobody's comin home again

well i've said it now
nothings changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby yeah yeah yeah
and my baby's my common sense
so dont feed me planned obsolescence

yeah im about to have another blow up

Lerenke
03-23-2010, 13:22
Henry Shires accepts returns?!

COMMIE!!!

LimpsAlong
03-23-2010, 13:32

-H

All good questions Henry.

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 13:33
Totally out of line

It is simply our culture of capitalism. It's not bad.

You bought tent A, he got money to revise it and did, He built and sold tent B. Now you want tent B.

Capatalism was designed years ago and many people have fought and died for it ( woah, cliche!). It keeps the money moving.

Guess what, tent B wont be the tent to end all tents, he will probably revise it. And guess what, when he does tent B will plumment in value. A lot of us have experience in the automobile market, we know the drill. Although one could argues the automoblie industry and it planned obsolensence is "bad"( for the purpose of time here). But something tells me that Henry Shires does not extensivley revise all his products every year and does not follow the philosophy of planned obsolesence.

And now I leave you with lyrics from a popular rock bands song:

nobodys coming home again

their ideas make me wanna spit
a hundred dollars goes down the pit
thirty-thousand wheels a rollin
and my stick shift hands are swollen
everything involved is shady
the big three killed my baby yeah yeah yeah

nobodys comin home again

why dont cha take the day off and try to repair
a billion others don't seem to care
better ideas are stuck in the mud
the motor's runnin on tucker's blood
dont let 'em tell you the future's electric
cuz gasoline not measured in metric
thirty-thousand wheels a spinnin
and oil company faces are grinnin
and now my hand are turnin red
and i found out my baby is dead yeah yeah yeah

nobody's comin home again

well i've said it now
nothings changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby yeah yeah yeah
so dont feed me planned obsolescence

yeah im about to have another blow up

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 13:39
All good questions Henry.

Yes and we have discussed the issue via email and it has been resolved. Sorry to upset you disciples of HS and if I upset Henry as well, Im sorry. I spent, what is alot of money to me, on a tent and was not satisfied. If that upsets some of you, Im sorry but it really isnt fair to judge me and insult me. To those of you that had my back, thank you. Again, Henry I appreciate what you are doing for me. This is a forum for seeking advice on things related to backpacking and gear, and I did just that. If I upset you or insulted you by not liking your product, I apologize, that was not my intention.

'Some of you seriously need to get out from behind the computer and actually hike. Im learning more and more that alot of you have no idea what you are talking about and probably never get outdoors.:rolleyes:

hshires
03-23-2010, 14:06
Chaco Taco, for future reference, it's just better to "go private" when dealing with a product issue. You avoid all of this public display and get right to the person that can actually fix the problem. If you don't get the issue resolved privately, then go public.

-H

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 14:11
Chaco Taco, for future reference, it's just better to "go private" when dealing with a product issue. You avoid all of this public display and get right to the person that can actually fix the problem. If you don't get the issue resolved privately, then go public.

-H

Thank you Henry, ill remember that in the future and Ill expressed that in my PM to you. I didnt realize you were on this forum and was seeking, what I thought was advice from "hikers".

Either way, thank you for your attention to this!