PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for weekend near Jonesborough, TN

Rain Man
10-07-2004, 21:15
A friend has asked me to suggest a weekend overnight hike on the AT near Jonesborough, Tennessee for next weekend (a week fron now). Something like hitting the trail on Saturday some time, leaving trail on Sunday some time. Not too many miles nor too rigorous climbing. Used to day hiking, though has done a little backpacking. Tenting will be fine.

Might be able to leave vehicles at both ends. Not sure.

Anyway, I have not hiked the AT around there yet, but said I'd ask. Any suggestions for me to pass along? Thanks in advance.

Rain Man

smokymtnsteve
10-07-2004, 22:52
the Roan Highlands is not that far, I went camping on Roan a couple years ago right after storytelling in Jonesborough, even though Sam's gap (Big Bald ) is probably closer, and then down to Erwin, might be a little much for a leisurely trip ,,, a little more drivng for Roan but the views would be great.

btw do not miss DOGWOOD LANE restaurant in Jonesborough.

MedicineMan
10-08-2004, 02:36
Jonesborough is just a skip from Hotsprings....maybe suggest Allen Gap to Hotsprings--it is an easy section, could leave a car safely in Hotsprings, and have the hotsprings to relax in after the hike.

I agree that Big Bald is a bit of a hike for a newbie but so is the Roan in any direction, the slackpack possibilities are too numerous to list but if that is possible def. consider Carver's Gap to 11E (maybe one of the most beautiful sections in all of the southern AT), the balds in this section are remarkable and at one time were in contention for national park status.

my .02

Morning Glory
10-08-2004, 09:29
Hey, Jonesborough is in my backyard! Whatever you decide to do, if you need good detailed directions, send me a pm, and I can give you detailed directions to pretty much any trailhead within an hour of Jonesborough.

I think the section from Sam's Gap to Spivey would be a nice little one night hike. The climb up Big Bald is a little strenous but so worth the view. Pretty much any hike you take in NE TN will include a couple of descent climbs. Anyway, this section is around 14-15 miles. I did this in August with a newbie, and yeah, he kinda struggled, but we did 11 miles of it on the first day, so if you walk at a little slower pace, it should be an easy 2 day hike. I would suggest getting in touch with Ms. Janet in Erwin and see if she could take she could help you with a shuttle, because I wouldn't be to fond of leaving my car overnight anywhere around here. If you need more info, just pm me.

Rain Man
10-08-2004, 09:46
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't have a map or guide for that section of trail. Can you give mileages for what you've suggested? I'm sure I'll be asked. THANKS!!!

Rain Man

Rain Man
10-08-2004, 10:00
I think the section from Sam's Gap to Spivey would be a nice little one night hike. The climb up Big Bald is a little strenous but so worth the view. Pretty much any hike you take in NE TN will include a couple of descent climbs. Anyway, this section is around 14-15 miles....

This sounds like a good option. I'll pass it along. THANKS!!!

Rain Man

MedicineMan
10-08-2004, 23:35
This is maybe the flattest section in TN!
Years ago there used to be a firetower about 2 miles past the No Business Knob shelter, we would loose the packs near the trail and take the side trail up for the view, alas it is no longer there (maybe there should be a grass-roots preservation movement to save firetowers???).....
The only challenge in this section in the drop to Erwin, and like others here I've taken many newbies to the trail on this section. The views of the Nolichucky George are awesome through this part of the AT.
The NoBusiness Knob Shelter was the first shelter I discovered with a black rat snake--but that was 30years ago :)