PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone for thru hike

KVKV
03-23-2010, 06:10
Hi,

I live in France and plan on doing a thru hike this year. I'd like to buy a cell phone with email capabilities in order to make local telephone calls when necessary, send emails to family and update my journal along the way. I would like to buy prepaid cards to top up my account when necessary rather than getting a plan (which may be hard given that I don't live in the US). Could you please recommend what kind of phone I could get for such a prepaid option and how easy it would be to top up my credit along the way? Also, could you please let me know the names of stores which would sell such phones and prepaid options so I could check them out online?

Thanks in advance,

KV

Tagless
03-23-2010, 06:37
KV,

My wife and I used Verizon throughout out 09 AT thru hike and got reception much of the way. Other providers may be great too, but the general consensus among hikers we were around was that Verizon was quite reliable.

Here is where you can access information (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/prepay.jsp?lid=//global//plans//prepaid) about their phones and prepaid plans.

Best of luck to you during your thru!

Spokes
03-23-2010, 08:50
I agree with Tagless on Verizon as far as coverage goes.

d.o.c
03-23-2010, 08:52
verizon workd where ever i tried it

KVKV
03-23-2010, 09:00
Thanks, that website is very useful. When I arrive in Atlanta I assume that I can just go to a Verizon store to buy a phone?

It's a bit harder trying to work out all the logistics from France when I don't know much about the US!!

d.o.c
03-23-2010, 09:26
you should be able to just walk in and buy a phone i would thnk

Praha4
03-23-2010, 11:42
followup question.

I'm just about decided to also use Verizon wireless. Which of their smartphones is best for thru hiking? my criteria

*lightweight
*holds a battery charge
*easy to use/learning curve short
*mobile web/email capable
*http web browsing capable for updating trail journals
*good phone reception along the trail

The Verizon salesman is pushing me toward a Blackberry Curve or some version of the Droid. I'm leaning toward the Curve.

any suggestions?

white_russian
03-23-2010, 14:42
The problem with Verizon prepaid is that it is very expensive. Verizon has the coverage that you want but they are a horrible company, the prices are high and they like to cripple features to keep you in their walled garden. They sell their excess capacity to mobile virtual network operators who usually have better prices and can be less restrictive. Go to this forum (http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325) and you can find more on these resellers.

Once you really look into the cellular industry in America you will be horrified at how bad it is compared to the rest of the world.

Red Beard
03-23-2010, 17:39
I'd go with Straight Talk for a thru. It works on the Verizon network, and is $30 for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and 30 MB of data. For $45 you get unlimited everything. Each refill card is good for 30 days of service. The web browser ain't much on their phones, but it'll keep you in contact with folks, and let you check your email.

white_russian
03-23-2010, 19:17
I'd go with Straight Talk for a thru. It works on the Verizon network, and is $30 for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and 30 MB of data. For $45 you get unlimited everything. Each refill card is good for 30 days of service. The web browser ain't much on their phones, but it'll keep you in contact with folks, and let you check your email.

The problem with Straight Talk is that it only works on the Verizon home network. You really need the ability to roam onto their partner networks when you are out in the sticks trying to pull in any tiny bit of signal. I use Page Plus as they very similar to Straight Talk, but with the ability to roam for a higher per minute rate.

MyFeetHurt
03-24-2010, 18:42
Well, I'll chime in against a cell phone.

I had one through the first couple towns and never got reception. I was using T-Mobile, and this was back in '06, so maybe the reception with Verizon is much more reliable. I ended up mailing my phone home and just using the prepaid phone card I'd brought along in case of no cell reception. It was super easy for the whole trip. There was an 800 number you could call to add minutes to it with your credit card, so there was never an issue of running out of minutes. And there are still phone booths in most towns so I never had a problem finding a phone.

And libraries were always great to us hikers so I was able to get internet service just about whenever I needed it. I think it would be quite tough/frustrating trying to update your journals on a phone, but I've never used one so maybe it's easier than I think.

So this whole post did nothing to answer your specific questions, which I apologize for. Just wanted to give another option that worked really well for me.

happy trails.

Doctari
03-24-2010, 19:41
I would suggest getting a phone with the fewest functions. My reasoning is: the more it does, the more battery power it takes. My phone does what you want, IE makes calls & (can) do e-mail, it will also text. That is all it will do. My son's phone does all the above, plus" camera, internet, GPS, etc. & even if none of these are used, the battery life is about 1/4 my basic phone has. I charge my phone on Saturdays only, the high end phone lasts 3 days TOPS.

I may well be wrong, but that is my experience. Oh, my wife's phone is a low end (better than mine, but limited functions) & she charges it about every 6 or so days.

When hiking, I leave my phone off. I sometimes even take the battery out if going to be more than about 9 days between charging.

I also hate having a phone, but as pay phones are disappearing rapidly, a cell phone lets me talk to those at home when I want to.

GrubbyJohn
03-24-2010, 22:28
Get a Tracphone from wally world it comes with double min and it works everywhere mine was 29.99

XCskiNYC
03-25-2010, 00:14
Net10 is part of America Movil like Tracfone, uses the same network, and costs less per minute (including calling to 60 countries for 15 cents/minute).

http://www.net10.com/content/mappopup.jsp

There are a few holes in VT, NH, and ME but it's hard to tell from their map if these are along the AT.

Overall the Tracfone network is extensive because they buy coverage from Verizon and other owners of cell phone networks.

Cloudynesz
03-25-2010, 02:00
N86, sweet deal on official website, 800 pixel camera, wifi, office mobile attached

white_russian
03-25-2010, 05:20
N86, sweet deal on official website, 800 pixel camera, wifi, office mobile attached
Too bad everything nice that Nokia makes is GSM. I wish it was compatible with Verizon/Sprint or better yet Verizon/Sprint was compatible with the rest of the world.

KVKV
03-25-2010, 10:00
Thanks for the many replies. I have thought more about whether to take a phone, the main reasons I wanted to take one were 1; to avoid needing to spend time in towns on the internet and be able to update my journal as I go and 2; to enable me to ring for shuttles if necessary along the way.

In relation to reason 1, I think I could probably do without the internet if necessary, reading other people's experiences.

In relation to reason 2, I might only be starting the trail mid May, which I realise is late but I currently hike a lot so should be able to travel fast. However at this time there might be fewer thru hikers so I thought it might be useful or even necessary to have a phone to be able to call and be picked up. If I don't have a phone, how can I get a shuttle?

10-K
03-25-2010, 10:21
If I don't have a phone, how can I get a shuttle?

Offer somebody a Snickers bar to borrow their phone for a minute. :)

white_russian
03-25-2010, 12:29
If I don't have a phone, how can I get a shuttle?
Extend hand, curl finger while leaving thumb extended, point thumb in the direction of travel.:D

I can't remember ever having to call for a shuttle. Some folks like the security of having a shuttle come pick them up, but hitch hiking has worked for me. Heck even at Winding Stair Gap when I know Ron Haven is coming with his daily shuttle I still have my thumb out trying to get a ride into town earlier.

That said I still carry a phone and consider it a very useful tool. Beyond all that you have talked about I really like the ability to pull in a updated weather report over SMS.

Spokes
03-25-2010, 14:50
Well, I'll chime in against a cell phone.

Okay but..........

I was the thru hiker who ended up calling 911 for a girl named "Cold Feet" who punctured her leg on a pine bough last July coming off Saddleback Mountain Jr and had to be evacuated off the mountain by a dozen SAR members. Her story is in the March-April 2010 edition of the AT Journeys magazine.

Glad I had my Verizon wireless phone and she was too....