PDA

View Full Version : Poncho Liner

Ladytrekker
03-23-2010, 09:35
I did a search first but could not locate any info. I work with a vet and he tells me I need a poncho liner and use it for sleeping folds up small will keep you warm.

Anyone use one of these and what purpose does it serve. I am always looking for ways to ditch my sleeping bag hate the confinment but have a tendency to sleep cold. Would one of these keep me warm in a 50 degree night/morning.

Praha4
03-23-2010, 11:38
heck yeah, the Army poncho liner is a fantastic piece of gear. I've used them on 50 degree nites and even lower temps if you have a fleece jacket also. Usually you can find them at most any Army surplus store.

Grinder
03-23-2010, 11:39
I have one and I love it. I have added a headhole in the center and wear it as a cape in really cold camps. In the military, it is affectionately called a "Woobie".

Together with a poncho, it is similar to a summer bag and would probably be okay to 50. Alone, I don't know how it would fare in the wind. Chilly I would think.

If you wore everything in your clothes bag, you could survive near freezing, but not enjoy it.

I carry one to supplement my 24 degree Kelty. It worked to mid teens last year. I tie it into a bag shape and put it inside my bag.

Ladytrekker
03-23-2010, 12:47
I went to the local army store at lunch today and bought one really like how light it is. My fleece bag liner and this poncho liner takes up less room and is a little lighter than my sleeping bag. I am hiking for 4 days in Florida this week and lows in the 50's going to give it a go.

SGT Rock
03-23-2010, 13:29
It may not be as warm as you want it to be.

JRiker
03-23-2010, 14:15
2nd rock's notion, recommend a bivy of some sort for added warmth JIC.

Seeker
03-23-2010, 19:59
iirc, there were two types, an older quilted nylon style that weighed about 16-18oz, and a heavier one, maybe with some sort of thinsulate-ish material, that was closer to 24oz. i've got two of the former, have never personally seen the latter, but think i heard about them on this forum. some more recent vets will have to chime in on this.

i never found just one to be that effective unless it was in the heat of summer with nights in the 70s. more than a 20* difference between day/night high and low, and i'm freezing...

i've got a WM Caribou bag good to 35* that weighs 20oz and packs down smaller... not worth the 4oz savings to me.

Old Grouse
03-23-2010, 20:10
I concur with the above. I brought mine back from Viet Nam where, after humping ammo in 115 degree heat all day, it was enough to keep me warm in a "cold" 80 degree night (at 70 degrees we put on wool gloves!). I'd say 70 degrees is the bottom end for the original poncho liner. Don't have any experience with a thicker version.

Wags
03-23-2010, 20:32
too heavy and bulky for the insulation it gives imo.

zeus307
03-23-2010, 20:44
You have got to get a poncho liner. They are very versitile and well worth there weight in gold. I have slept many a night with one in all corners of the world!! They are well worth it. I carry one with me when I hike all over. Go to www.cheaperthandirt.com (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com) $19.95 i think. Don't quote me on the price but I recently bought another one for my gear. Enjoy!!

bigcranky
03-23-2010, 21:48
Maybe I haven't seen these newfangled poncho liners, but the one I used twenty five years ago wouldn't keep me warm at night in any conditions.

Hooch
03-23-2010, 22:10
When I was in the Marines, we would tie our poncho liner into our poncho to make a "Recon Roll". Nice concept, but wasn't warm for ****. There are plenty better things to insulate and stay warm with when you don't have to rely on battalion supply. :D

Furlough
03-24-2010, 21:37
Try the link below. Poncho liners are okay for 50 degrees and up. Good to a little lower temp when used with a light weight bivie.

http://www.rangerjoes.com/

jbenson
04-02-2010, 18:21
I have one with velcro across bottom and up the side. Makes a nice warm weather bag. When I was 18-22 "travel light, freeze at night" worked. 40 years later I need more warmth.

JRiker
04-02-2010, 19:53
these things can be cold, not bad for middle of the summer though. it's about layering. plenty of clothes, and some sort of bivy, along with just getting out of the wind. not worth 20 bucks though, look for one at thrift stores, they normally sell them with the blankets, got mine for $1