PDA

View Full Version : How much fuel should i bring?

joeyt1291
03-23-2010, 14:27
So I will be hiking the Appalachian Trail with my friend during spring break. I have experience camping and about 4 years ago I hiked a section of the AT in PA. We will be using an MSR pocket rocket stove for 5 days 6 nights from Harpers Ferry South. All of our breakfasts and dinners will require the stove. How much fuel will I need? Thanks for any help :D

Manwich
03-23-2010, 14:31
1 8oz canister and 1 4oz canister would handily tide you over.

Just remember, you don't need to bring water to a boil all the time, like for coffee or oatmeal. 170 degrees is good drinking temp.

joeyt1291
03-23-2010, 14:33
I also have a question about my tent. I do have a "backpacking" tent even thought it is a bit bulkier then a normal one. I have a high sierra Appalachian pack and I was wondering how I should pack the tent into or outside my bag it seems to take up a ton of space.

bus
03-23-2010, 15:20
Once you get all your gear and food and your clothes that you will bring set aside (shouldnt need much for that trip), try both ways.

Will this tent be the just for you or sharing? you can always carry the tent and your buddy the poles.

Without seeing the and pack and not knowing the size of each, it is hard to give any definitive advice, other than to just try both ways and see what fits the best and what feels the best when on your back.

Personally I would try and get it inside. If it doesnt fit, see, what you can leave behind.

As i hik emor elocal weekend trips I seem to find more items that i didnt really use.

tuswm
03-23-2010, 18:31
just bring one normal (8 oz) canister per person

or one canister and plan to cook on fire when you can.

also plan to stay at the bears den hostle. If you do ten miles a day it will be your second night. When I was there last it had a hiker special. a bed, shower, phone internet, good company, landry, a full pizza, and a whole carton of ben and jerrys ice cream! all for like 26 bucks. that is 2 less meals worth of food and fuel you will have to cary.

Blissful
03-23-2010, 21:00
8 oz should be fine for 2. Get Snowpeak. I find it lasts much longer then MSR

waywardfool
03-23-2010, 21:39
And use a bit of smarts...too often you see somebody light their stove, crank it up high, and only then get the pot out, fill it with water, find the lid, etc...wasting a half minute or full minute of fuel. Get everything ready, light up, as soon as the water's ready shut it off.

When I switched to my snowpeak, from white gas, I weighted a full canister, and boiled and dumped several pots of water, representing the usuage I'd get on a 4 or so day trip, to get a good feel for fuel consumption. YMMV, so do your own test....it'll just cost you a few bucks or a cylinder. Don't forget colder water takes longer, colder air takes longer, more wind adds time, etc, but at least you can establish a baseline.