PDA

View Full Version : How to pack a backpack

joeyt1291
03-23-2010, 14:43
I have a 75 liter i believe High Sierra pack. I was wondering including a tent what the best way to fit all the gear in would be. Thanks!

boarstone
03-23-2010, 15:33
For better clarification, check out "backpacks" on YOUTUBE, lots of video the choose from.

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 15:42
I have a 75 liter i believe High Sierra pack. I was wondering including a tent what the best way to fit all the gear in would be. Thanks!

Pack it a few times and try doing lightest on bottom like a sleeping bag, put heavier stuff in middle and food on top. Just mess around with it

kanga
03-23-2010, 15:46
generally, men's body types have a higher center of gravity will carry weight best with their shoulders. women have a lower center of gravity and do a better job carrying their heaviest weight closer to their hips.

Lerenke
03-23-2010, 15:53
First welcome to your new addiction.

Now basically to pack a pack approriatley you want the "heavy stuff" (like food, water, basically whatever you carry that is denser than other things you carry) as close as possible to your back, and as close to the back of your head as possible. This way leverage works in your advantage and pushes the wieght into the small of your back and into your hip-belt where you can use more of your strength to carry your load. Still though you need to make sure that the pack is packed as evenly distibuted as possible (pull those straps to eliminate the slack space) and that it ( and you) can handle the weight you put into it. What is most important is that you can hike relativley free of pain. So if it works for you and your not in pain, your fine.

Lerenke
03-23-2010, 16:02
WATER
FOOD
KITCHEN-OUTER WEAR
TENT
SLEEPING BAG
CLOTHES

This is about how I pack my pack laid out graphically. Clothes at the bottom, water near the top.

DocHolliday
03-23-2010, 18:14
http://metaldetectingworld.com/05_photo_gallery/05_equipment/backpack.gif

DocHolliday
03-23-2010, 18:16
I like to think of the backpack as a cantilever. The further away something is from your back itself, the 'heavier' it will feel. Much like the stress on the end of a tree branch.

waywardfool
03-23-2010, 18:32
Think, too, about the stuff you need during the day, vs. what stays in the pack all day.

Stuff you need quick access to (some, w/o removing pack or getting help):

Water
Snacks
Lunch
Raingear
Insulation
First Aid Kit/Foot care
Camera
Sunglasses

....You get the idea.

Jester2000
03-23-2010, 18:39
Doc and Waywardfool have got it right. Generally speaking you follow what DocHoliday posted, and you make exceptions in placement based on accessibility for the items waywardfool mentions, or whatever it is you need often.

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 23:16
Just mess around with it. Everyone packs differently. I try and pack according to priority. SLeeping bag on the bottom, first thing in, last thing out, clothes, pad, anything else I want dry, close my liner up, tent, stove, fuel, stash bag, food, water in hydration sleeve, close up the pack. Rain gear and pack cover on the outside. Dont make it too complicated.

ASUGrad
03-25-2010, 10:24
Stuff you want first goes in last.

Jonnycat
03-26-2010, 13:15
Load it up. Go backpacking. If you have a problem, make a change.

Rinse. Repeat.

There is no substitute for experience.

joeyt1291
03-27-2010, 09:17
thanks everyone for your advise

jhensley
03-29-2010, 10:51
Load it up. Go backpacking. If you have a problem, make a change.

Rinse. Repeat.

There is no substitute for experience.

I second this, I pulled a muscle halfway through my last trip due to poor weight distribution. I can assure you this experience will change my methods for my next go-around.

Doctari
03-29-2010, 12:41
First suggestion: TP ON THE TOP, or at least very easily accessible.

Start out following the guidelines as posted by DocHoliday, then work at it from there to find what works for you.

I pack: top quilt on bottom, Hammock & underquilt next, Possibles bag & clothing next, then food on top. My tarp goes in the right side pocket, the cook set & water bottle in the left pocket, rain jacket & hammock suspension in the front net pocket (ULA OHM pack). If I pack any different I can't get it all in, this way I have room for everything plus 6 days of food.