PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old hiking LT alone?

ct_to_vt
03-23-2010, 16:23
Hello,

I'm new here, as you can see.

I've wanted to hike the LT in its entirety for a long time. My parents are ok with me doing it alone this summer. I feel that this is fine as well, as I am 6 foot 1 and almost 200 pounds, so it's not like I'm little or anything. Also, as my family is from Vermont, my family would be meeting me every weekend or so. However, I am only 15.

Does this seem okay to all of you guys?

Roland
03-23-2010, 16:29
Relish the opportunity and be grateful for your parents' support. Obviously you've proven yourself to them and they acknowledge this will be a good experience for you.

Have a great hike.

Yukon
03-23-2010, 16:46
Wish I was thinking about that sort of thing when I was 15, would have been more fun than working lol. Hope you have a great hike...

Rabbott
03-23-2010, 16:47
I would give anything to have parents like yours... good luck and have fun!

YoungMoose
03-23-2010, 17:03
It seems ok to me. Im doing it to and this summer im going to be 16.

Ender
03-23-2010, 17:09
My parents are ok with me doing it alone

If your parents are OK with it, then it's a great thing. The trail itself is safe enough, just gear yourself up properly and you'll do fine. This site is a great resource for equipping yourself.

Cookerhiker
03-23-2010, 17:18
It's wonderful that your parents are so supportive. I encourage you to go ahead and plan on it.

Do you have hiking experience? Backpacking experience? You'll find a lot of useful info. on this site. The Long Trail is pretty rugged, especially in the north, so please do some conditioning beforehand to enjoy your trip. Happy Trails!:)

Jim Adams
03-23-2010, 18:09
Good for you! I also began my adventuring at age 15 and have never looked back. My adult life has been a much different outlook than alot of others my age all because of the adventuring that I did at young ages. My mind tends to be more open and thinking out of the box. I have never regretted those learnings and my parents always stood behind the directions that I took back then. I applaud your parents and can only say that your ride will only be what you make of it. Have a blast!

geek

Manwich
03-23-2010, 18:24
A properly outfitted 12 year old could do it by his one'sies.

ct_to_vt
03-23-2010, 18:31
wow thanks for all of the positive feedback! awesome!

YoungMoose
03-23-2010, 18:45
so when are you planning on doing it.

jdb
03-23-2010, 19:19
Go for it!

I have my little guy out there with me and I know for sure it will pay off in the long run. When he gets a little older and he wants to go out alone or with friends I won't worry because I'll know he has the experience to handle any situation that may come up. His friends could never do what we do and most of the fathers.......well lets just say?:D

moon_whisperer
03-23-2010, 20:14
Sorry if I missed it, when are you planning this trek?

ct_to_vt
03-23-2010, 20:34
I'm not quite 100% sure yet, but planning for the month of august.

does that sound reasonable?

Roland
03-23-2010, 20:37

August is good. The worst of the mud and the bugs will be gone. By late August, humidity tapers off, the visibility improves and it gets cooler.

Have fun.

YoungMoose
03-23-2010, 20:49

Cool. i bet we would see eachother on the trail. i am planning either july or august.

Cookerhiker
03-23-2010, 22:02

I did the whole LT starting in mid-August (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248) - best part was lack of bugs. You probably have to start by Aug. 1 to return for school but it should be OK.

Tinker
03-23-2010, 22:17
As long as you carry your 6'1" frame with confidence I doubt anyone will mess with you (don't worry about the wild animals, it's the ones with two feet you have to watch). You will probably make friends on your hike, so, unless you're a real loner, you won't really be alone unless you want to be (also a good experience).
Enjoy your hike and treasure your parents. Make them proud. :)

peakbagger
03-24-2010, 08:22
Go for it, as long as you have the skills down it will be a great experience that sadly is somehwhat a thing of the past the past these days. There are plenty of folks on the LT all summer into the fall. I would suggest carrying a bivy shelter, if you get to a shelter and you dont like the looks of the other occupants, its always and option to cook supper and then head off in the woods a bit or up the trail for 20 minutes to set up the bivy (or a hammock if you are used to it).

Shiraz-mataz
03-24-2010, 08:36
People often dismiss the abilities of the younger generation, labeling them as video game playing couch potatoes... I'm glad to see you're challenging that notion! There are actually lots of examples of very young people taking on very ambitious endeavours. Heck, right now I'm tracking the progress of 16 year old Abby Sunderland who is sailing around the world all alone! http://www.abbysunderland.com/ Have fun!

lazy river road
03-24-2010, 08:37
As stated I wish when I was fifteen I had parents like yours. I had to wait till im 30 to hike the LT. Im leaving June 23-25 havent decided exactly what date yet. Best of luck on your hike.

Pedaling Fool
03-24-2010, 09:28
I have no problem with a 15 year-old doing a solo long-distance hike. However, if something happens to you (very unlikely, but we all assume a certain amount of risk while hiking) and it makes national news there will be a firestorm of controversy for your parents. They will probably be exposed to incredible criticisms and personal attacks, they will be unjustified attacks, but it is a sad reality in our society.

sasquatch2014
03-24-2010, 15:05
I have no problem with a 15 year-old doing a solo long-distance hike. However, if something happens to you (very unlikely, but we all assume a certain amount of risk while hiking) and it makes national news there will be a firestorm of controversy for your parents. They will probably be exposed to incredible criticisms and personal attacks, they will be unjustified attacks, but it is a sad reality in our society.

Yeah it is sad too bad not enough people are will to tell all these detractors to go F themselves.

Roland
03-24-2010, 16:38
Yeah it is sad too bad not enough people are will to tell all these detractors to go F themselves.

You may have a future in diplomacy.

JAK
03-24-2010, 17:11
Hello,

I'm new here, as you can see.

I've wanted to hike the LT in its entirety for a long time. My parents are ok with me doing it alone this summer. I feel that this is fine as well, as I am 6 foot 1 and almost 200 pounds, so it's not like I'm little or anything. Also, as my family is from Vermont, my family would be meeting me every weekend or so. However, I am only 15.

Does this seem okay to all of you guys?At that size, I wouldn't try and stop you. lol

If it's ok with your parents, you must be mature enough also.
Hike within your experience and abilities and have a great hike.

Jeff
03-24-2010, 18:18
One point to discuss with your parents is the issue of hitchhiking. It is part of the long distance hiker culture. But to be safe you may want to assure your parents that you will do it with a trail buddy.

Noah Genda
03-24-2010, 18:25
Do your homework, and be safe...if you believe you're ready, you are...if you have the support of overly protective parents, then you will sleep well! Take a friend!

sasquatch2014
03-24-2010, 19:13

Diplomacy is exactly what I put if I really left all the stuff that I deleted before I posted I would have moderated and Troll would have come off the trail to reprimand me.

Roland
03-24-2010, 19:34
Diplomacy is exactly what I put if I really left all the stuff that I deleted before I posted I would have moderated and Troll would have come off the trail to reprimand me.

Congratulations on your restraint. ;)

Kerosene
03-24-2010, 19:58
My first backpacking trip was 5 days on the AT in Jersey when I was 15. As long as you have a couple of trips under your belt I would think you'd do just fine. If not, then think about starting out the hike with an experienced partner. Also, I think your parents and friends would feel a lot better if you had a wilderness first aid course under your belt.

Take a lot of pictures and spend the time to write a journal about your trip that you'll remember the rest of your life. Have a great hike!

sasquatch2014
03-24-2010, 21:21
Congratulations on your restraint. ;)

Thank you. the older I get I find it's is better to delete things after I type them and before I post them and then just load a few more clips for the on coming revolution. :eek:

Jim Adams
03-25-2010, 14:58

Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to go to hell and by the time you're done they are looking forward to the trip.:D

geek

The Phoenix
06-16-2010, 14:44
I thru hiked the AT @ the age of 18... there is somewhat of a difference between 15 and 18... but people on the trail have a way of looking out for each other.

I would say I was a novice when I started out and many people were there for me... to teach me tricks of the trade and mentor me...

I remember the fear that I felt in the pit of my stomach on that greyhound down to Georgia... but the thrill of the adventure was far greater than the fear and by the time I was half way through Georgia... the fear was dead and it was pure adventure, trail love, and all the good stuff the wilderness brings to the table.

Godspeed and perhaps I will cross paths with you on the LT...

The Phoenix

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 14:55
I don't know why a 15 yo would want to hike solo.:confused:

I would be more fun to hike with a group.:)

Panzer

Spokes
06-16-2010, 14:58
I say go for it or wait until next year and circumnavigate the earth in a sailboat....... your choice.

full conditions
06-16-2010, 15:20
Like Phoenix, I did my thru at age 18 and one of the guys I hiked with for much of New England had done the LT at age 15. I applaud your parents for raising such an indepenent and self-reliant son. Have a great hike.

Feral Bill
06-16-2010, 15:30
I say go for it or wait until next year and circumnavigate the earth in a sailboat....... your choice.

Or do half a circumnavigation and be rescued at huge expense to others.:)

ShakeyLeggs
06-16-2010, 15:33
I say good for you, go for it.

We do have a fee for all this positive feedback:eek::D. We require that you post a post trip report with many photos:D.

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 16:02
hay, did you hear about the 2 year old child that was planning to do a solo thru-hike. :D:D

everyone wants to break the record, until someone gets killed.

Panzer

Tin Man
06-16-2010, 17:39

big difference, but of course you know that.

15 year old solo on the LT? I probably wouldn't let mine go alone... mainly 'cause I would want to find a way to go with him and take my 13 year old as well. :cool:

NorthCountryWoods
06-17-2010, 17:41
I don't know why a 15 yo would want to hike solo.:confused:

I would be more fun to hike with a group.:)

Panzer

That depends on the group. :D

I would've much preferred to hike the LT alone at 15. Did much stupider stuff at that age and still alive to talk about it.

Taba
06-18-2010, 00:29
I was 14 when I started solo riding a bicycle across the state of Florida. In fact crossed the state more than 10 times within the next 4 years before deciding to ride to New York from Key West on my 18th birthday.

I see no problem or reason for any concern about a teenager doing something extraordinary. Why are we trying to limit the potential for greatness? Are we trying to create a counrty full of wimps who are scared to learn the survival skills we might need here in the near future? Just because they are young in your eyes doesn't mean that they aren't capable of doing what we can do, maybe better. Quit looking at chronical age and start look at maturity. Yes, older people are usually more experienced but where did they start.

I say go kid go!!! Tell us a good story along the way.

Taba

Lyle
06-18-2010, 11:02
Go for it. One thing for both you and your folks to consider is how you will handle a non-emergency medical problem.

Most Doctors/hospitals/clinics will not treat a non-life-threatening illness or injury of a minor without parental permission. May only require a phone call, may require faxing permission, may require physical presence, depending on circumstances and a facility policy.

Not an insurmountable problem, and not a reason to avoid the hike, but good to have a plan for the possibility.

Perhaps a letter from the parents, and carried by the hiker, authorizing the teen to make simple treatment decisions will suffice for some facilities. No guarantees though.