PDA

View Full Version : What is a good fleece midlayer?

DrRichardCranium
03-23-2010, 17:01
OK, I'm confused. I got a gift certificate for LL Bean from my boss & I used it to buy a puffy fleece Polartec (200?) midlayer. I wore it outside today on a windy day in Maryland in the 40s. And found it disturbingly cool & drafty.

I went back in the house and got my old, thin Route66 fleece. The one I wore in my Shenandoah hike in late October. And found I was WARMER in that than in the much thicker new fleece from LL Bean!:eek:

How could that be?

Anyway, I'm starting my thru on March 26th, and I need advice on a good fleece insulating layer.

Bati
03-23-2010, 17:29
You might want to consider not bringing fleece at all (except up North in winter). It's generally not form-fitting, thus letting in a lot of cold air, and very bulky when you're not wearing it. Expedition-weight polypro is my preference and has worked OK under gore-tex, which provides a wind break, in temperatures below zero. For warmer weather in the 20's or so, simply unzip your gore-tex-jacket.

DrRichardCranium
03-23-2010, 17:35
My "shell" is a packa. So considering i'm starting the approach trail on March 26th, and should hit the Smokies (coldest part of the trip) in about mid April, all I would need is thick polypropylene long sleeve top under my packa? Just 2 layers?

In the Shenandoahs I had days around freezing & above (ran into a little bit of snow) and nights below freezing. I had an underarmour long sleeve shirt & the Route66 thin fleece and a Marmot jacket, and that worked OK.

tuswm
03-23-2010, 17:47
I love this
http://www.rei.com/product/646599
windstopper
huge pit zips
high pockets you can use with your pack on
durable durable durable had mine since the 90s still looks almost new.

grayfox
03-23-2010, 18:01
If you are set on fleece--I have this: http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaCheck300Jacket~206788_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PZQ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000043&origin=index I like it because it is not too hot. But it does not pack very small. I also have the Lands End Marinac jacket and vest which are very wind proof. These are not the lightest or easiest to pack but I cound not find any thing less expensive. They work for me.

DrRichardCranium
03-23-2010, 19:04
OK, I'm not SET on fleece, but much of the Smokies are over 5k feet, & I keep hearing about deep snow & winter temps. I will be there about April 12ish if that's any help.

Bags4266
03-23-2010, 19:12
What's wrong w/ fleece? I take one up to 60*. There light and warm, slightly bulky but I also use it for a pillow. My favorite go to is a micro quarter zip.

Snowleopard
03-23-2010, 19:13
Maybe the lighter fleece is more wind resistant. Ordinary fleece is not at all wind resistant. Unless there is no wind at all, I tend to be cold wearing just the fleece. Usually I wear some sort of windbreaker over it. Grayfox's first fleece doesn't have a wind barrier and the second one (Marinac) does.

Wind block/wind stopper fleece has a goretex type membrane in it that blocks the wind, but doesn't breathe very well (and costs a lot more). I think there are new types of fleece that are somewhat wind resistant and breathe somewhat better than the wind stop stuff. The only windblock stuff I have is a hat and gloves.

Deadeye
03-23-2010, 19:18
I just buy a cheap fleece at any store (bring a scale if you want some strange looks), and have found it fine. I don't expect fleece to block the wind unless I'm paying for a fleece that says it CAN stop the wind, like Land's End. My fleece is for insulation, I want it to breath, and a windshirt takes care of... wind! YMMV

A nice old beat up cashmere sweater is just as good. Sometimes you can get new ones cheap at Costco,too, which is where I get my new cashmere sweaters that eventually become nice old, beat up...

DrRichardCranium
That's probably it. The fleece got cold when the wind blew. The rout66 fleece is thinner, but maybe a tighter weave.

Praha4
I use the Patagonia R2 regulator fleece jacket, it's more compressible than normal fleece..... however, it is not a windstopper fabric. For colder temps, you could try the R3 or R4 regulator jackets.

Snowleopard
03-23-2010, 19:34
Deadeye's got it right. Your fleece is fine, just get yourself a light breathable wind shirt. Some of them are coated nylon that don't breath at all and that won't be good (too much condensation). An expensive waterproof breathable might or might not breath enough. I hate my current fake goretex jacket (Northface Hyvent DT fabric). It doesn't breath well and it's not very waterproof, the worst of all worlds.

DrRichardCranium
03-23-2010, 19:37
Ok, I'm atREI right now, and I'm going to keep the lighter route 66 fleece & when it's cold combine it with a midweight smartwool base

wtmntcaretaker
03-23-2010, 19:41
I really like power stretch fleece. very warm

Bags4266
03-23-2010, 19:47
I just buy a cheap fleece at any store (bring a scale if you want some strange looks), and have found it fine. I don't expect fleece to block the wind unless I'm paying for a fleece that says it CAN stop the wind, like Land's End. My fleece is for insulation, I want it to breath, and a windshirt takes care of... wind! YMMV

A nice old beat up cashmere sweater is just as good. Sometimes you can get new ones cheap at Costco,too, which is where I get my new cashmere sweaters that eventually become nice old, beat up...

Ditto on the wind shirt. I have Golite wisper, weighs like 3 oz and I always carry it. Makes everything warmer.

Del Q
03-23-2010, 20:47
I started leaving my fleece at home and instead bring the lightweight Mont Bell synthetic jacket. Have been out below 10 degrees and up...........merino wool tee shirt (carry two) and a rain jacket, Go Lite wind shirt.

Praha4
03-23-2010, 21:40
Patagonia power stretch zip neck pullover is a great fleece midlayer

Bags4266
03-23-2010, 21:56
Patagonia power stretch zip neck pullover is a great fleece midlayer

I'm sure it is.... But it's also $86.00

Tinker
03-23-2010, 22:10
A thin fleece which is more tightly knit will be more wind resistant (therefore warmer on a windy day) than a heavier, more open knit.
Fleece, in general, is not very wind resistant, which makes it good for a wide temperature range - you can wear it in warmer weather than say, a fleece jacket with a sewn on shell.
Wind resistant fleeces have a membrane laminated between two thin layers of fleece which, while making it wind resistant, allow the wind to penetrate half of the thickness until it hits the barrier, minimizing its potential warmth.
My best combination is a Marmot Ion windshirt with several different weights of fleece to wear underneath. I have a heavy 300 wt. hooded sweatshirt, a non-hooded 200 wt. jacket, and a 300 wt. vest. Since I can pick and choose, I vary the fleece based upon the likely temperature range I'll encounter on a section hike.
On a thruhike, I think I'd start with my 200 wt. jacket, the Ion, and a nice, warm hat (probably wool).

Tinker
03-23-2010, 22:13
I should add that a big plus to fleece is that once you get a day where you can dry it in the sun (or wind), the wind will pass right through it, drying it quickly. I have a Polarguard Golite UL jacket which is a bit warmer than my fleece/shell combination, but it takes much longer to dry once wet because the shell does such a good job of blocking that nice dry breeze.

Bilko
03-23-2010, 22:17
Dr. I think you got your answer from your original question. What is a good fleece midlayer?

The Fleece is you own is a good midlayer. Fleece garments come in different thickness: micro, 100, 200, and 300, with 300 being the thickest and least flexible.Regular fleece is not windproof, which is a good quality. This makes it useful for clothing intended to be used during strenuous physical activity; sweat is able to readily pass through the fleece. So with your base layer (mid-weight, smartwool, base) your mid-layer (rout66 fleece) and your outer layer wind/water repellent jacket you are set to go out in the Smokies in April. You can just about go anywhere with that kind of layer system. Make sure you have a hood for the outer layer. It's also nice to have a zipper for the fleece layer, this helps regulate body heat and the base layer needs to wick out moisture form your body. It looks like you are all set to go.

As Bags mentioned all of these can be used together at night for your pillow.

DrRichardCranium
03-23-2010, 22:37
Thanks! Great answer! Yeah, when I put them all together I realized that this provides me with maximum flexibility & least bulk. The 200 Polartec is kinda bulky. And yes, the packa has a hood.

JAK
03-24-2010, 03:45
OK, I'm confused. I got a gift certificate for LL Bean from my boss & I used it to buy a puffy fleece Polartec (200?) midlayer. I wore it outside today on a windy day in Maryland in the 40s. And found it disturbingly cool & drafty.

I went back in the house and got my old, thin Route66 fleece. The one I wore in my Shenandoah hike in late October. And found I was WARMER in that than in the much thicker new fleece from LL Bean!:eek:

How could that be?

Anyway, I'm starting my thru on March 26th, and I need advice on a good fleece insulating layer.
Which of those two fleeces is heavier?
Which of those two fleeces absorbs the most water?

Take the one that absorbs the least water, but wear a wool sweater most of the time. The fleece layer should fit OVER it. Total weight of all insulating layers, not counting shoes and shells but including socks, mitts, hats, should be about 1 oz for every degree below 85F, or work out your own formula based on trial and error. The temperature is for the lowest you might encounter, not the average. Cheers.