PDA

View Full Version : backpacking lake tahoe area

Bear Cables
03-23-2010, 17:15
My husband and I are going to Lake Tahoe for our vacation in August. I want to take him on an overnight backpack trip while there. Any suggestions?

Many Walks
03-23-2010, 19:03
Desolation Wilderness was my favorite area. It may be busy and you'll need to get a permit from the Forest Service for camping prior to entering. You can park and start at Echo Lake on the South end and walk North (Clockwise around the lake). The Echo Lake Chalet has supply and PO, plus they operate a water taxi to get you to the Wilderness a bit faster if you like.

Another good area that doesn't require a permit, other than a campfire permit, is to start at Tahoe City and hike South, counter clockwise on the Tahoe Rim Trail. It will join the PCT and you'll find plenty of camping along the way. Hotels will let you park overnight with a stay and you can walk to the trailhead. A store is close for supply. Both areas are nice. Enjoy your hike!

The Solemates
03-23-2010, 20:26
definitely go to desolation wilderness area....best spot for hiking around tahoe

paula53
03-23-2010, 20:52
If you like lakes in Desolation Wilderness,hike the Meeks Bay trail head,(the start of the Tahoe-Yosemity trail) near the Meeks Bay Resort . It has 6 lakes starting at 4 miles in from the trailhead. Very warm for swimming also. You would need to get a wilderness permit from the forest service
Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit 35 College Drive, South Lake Tahoe, Ca 96150 530 543-2600. $5 per person per day for the first two days; additional days are free