PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I just want to make double sure...

10-K
03-23-2010, 20:51
I was planning on maildropping maps along the way as I hiked from NY to ME in a few weeks. Tonight I weighed all the maps and the total weight for all the maps I need to finish the AT is only 1.2 lbs.

So... I think I'm just going to carry them all and mail them back as I finish them. This way I won't have to do ANY mail drops.

Which leads me to my question: Is there any place between NY and Katahdin where you cannot reliably get food and esbit/alcohol and should send a package?

I guess this is probably in a FAQ somewhere....

Blissful
03-23-2010, 20:56
I'd rather drop than carry the weight. Esp as the terrain in upper NE is so tough. To me even ounces matter. But that's me.

You must be getting excited though. :)

10-K
03-23-2010, 20:59
I'd rather drop than carry the weight. Esp as the terrain in upper NE is so tough. To me even ounces matter. But that's me.

You must be getting excited though. :)

I am... the only thing that I'm kinda worried about is missing my family - but I gotta do this.

white_russian
03-23-2010, 21:04
Glencliff sucks for resupply and is a good place for a drop.

boarstone
03-23-2010, 21:44
Monson Maine, last stop before entering the "100 mile wilderness". nothing in here but wet,mud, bugs...usuall stuff while hiking until Abol Bridge store/campground at the northern end unless you count Whitehouse landing. Some do mail drops to me and I shuttle their drop in to them in the Jo-Mary Rd area. E-mail me at: [email protected] if I can help or have questions about the area.

garlic08
03-24-2010, 00:35
I was able to carry my food for 100 miles at a time and I didn't need stove fuel, so I didn't do mail drops. I even skipped a few towns like Kent, CT and Rangeley, ME because I didn't need food there. The only place I remember being disappointed and leaving a little hungry was at Pinkham Notch. I was hoping to get a few food items at the AMC store there and all they had was candy. Great cafeteria, though. No matter, Gorham was just over a day's hike away at US 2. I got to Monson pretty early in the season and the grocery store was very well stocked for the last push. I hear the pickings can get slim there when the pack comes through. Same at Abol Bridge.

buff_jeff
03-24-2010, 08:11
I've only done to Mt. Washington, but you'll be fine until that point at least.

Good luck, though! I'll be finishing the trail this summer, too...can't wait.

Colter
03-24-2010, 08:32
Maybe it's only a half a pound or so of extra maps, but carrying it needlessly for a thousand miles is a much bigger deal that getting a mail drop or two, in my opinion. Do whatever you like, of course.

1/2 pound x 1,000 miles x 5,280 feet per mile = 2,640,000 foot/pounds

Rambler
03-24-2010, 09:03
NY to ME: There are several places where the trail goes through towns or locations where the PO are very close to the trail and not at all out of the way.
No need to carry all the maps. Pick em' up, map 'em home.
Examples: Unionville, NY .4 from the trail Arden, NY .7 (short Hours), Bear Mountain, a few blocks! ,Fort Montgomery, .8
Kent CT, .5, Cornwall Bridge .7, Salisbury .5
Dalton, MA trail goes through the town! etc...etc.

Glencliff, NH trail through town, Gorham NH easy hitch,
Caratunk ME and Monson trail

If you are going to carry two extra pounds, let it be FOOD!

10-K
03-24-2010, 10:26
If you are going to carry two extra pounds, let it be FOOD!

I totally understand - I struggled with this for a while. My thinking is that the 1.2 lbs will get progressively lighter as I mail back maps and by the time I get to the more difficult parts of the trail I'll just have the maps left I need anyway.

It would suck so bad to get to a town on a Sunday, or worse, on a Saturday right after the PO closed.

Of course, I've always sent my packages to hostels but I also have only done this down south where the hostels seem to be more well known (maybe it's just that I live here?). I don't hear enough about hostels north of NY to know which ones are best to send drops to.

10-K
03-24-2010, 10:28
It's funny how you can justfiy weight though... I've been trying to figure out what the lightest stove and fuel would be to carry and it's close no matter what.

On the other hand, I tell myself that all those maps "just" weigh what a pint of water weighs so that ain't too bad.

skinny minnie
03-24-2010, 10:50
It's funny how you can justfiy weight though... I've been trying to figure out what the lightest stove and fuel would be to carry and it's close no matter what.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

This is how I ended up with a kindle, and an ipod, AND a phone currently in my pack. I'm disgusted with myself but totally justifying it.

Let me know your thoughts on stoves - I have been hemming and hawing for a while now. I know the pros and cons. Just am ambivalent.

Also, I apologize for the huge thread drift. You know how you were thinking of the neoair? Well... a couple of people on Backpackinglight have modified a large. So you get the width, but less weight and unnecessary length. I know you bought the Yeti, though! Just figured I'd share. I'm tempted. Just because I know there will be nights where I won't hammock.

Anyway. Back to the subject at hand! I was doing something very similar with my ridiculous amounts of vitamins - I figured it would be easier to carry more. Than I snapped out of it. My reasoning was, would I rather have vitamins be my pointless extra weight luxury item... or music and books and communication. So I guess compare the maps to what other luxury stuff you'd like to have with you. If you prefer the maps, then go for it.

10-K
03-24-2010, 15:55
So... where is a good place other than the post office in Glencliff and Monson to send a maildrop?

white_russian
03-24-2010, 16:53
Well you will be early in the season so Monson shouldn't be picked over. Also Shaw's in Monson can give you a ride to the full supermarket in Greenville.

Andover and Caratunk have slim pickings. Andover has two somewhat grocery/diner/gas stations with mostly junk food, but some staples. Caratunk apparently has some sort of convience store past the Northern Outdoor Center, never been there though. If you send one to Caratunk, use the NOC located up the road. They have free showers as well as a resteraunt and lodging if you want it.