PDA

View Full Version : Msr

Loneoak
03-24-2010, 09:53
Who has the Sweetwater Guardian Microfilter and likes it?

thanks

makoboy
03-24-2010, 10:41
I have, and use it. Its the only filter Ive owned, but its amazingly simple. It has a pressure releif valve in the event that it is clogged, and if it is, cleaning is as easy as running a brush through. Ive cleaned mine manyu, many times, and the replacement wear indicators have yet to show through. The filter element can also handle freezing (MSR actually reccomends this for long-term storage).

tuswm
03-24-2010, 12:19
had mine for a long time then i took it to the desert in canyon lands. We had to filter silty puddles for ten days. We had a rather large group 12 people and only 3 filters. All the filters were having trouble with clogging by the end of the week. Filtering water started out as an hour a day and by the end was taking 3 hours a day. This filters pump was so damaged by the end of the trip it would not prim unless you filled it with water before pumping. I would say it was operating at 25% by the end. It is supposed to pump in both directions, one way was operating at 0% and the other way was operating at 50%. The seals in the pump died. I think putting coffee filters around the end might have helped but I thought it already had a filter on the end anyways.

But it has 3 months of everyday use for 2 people already on it, the other different filters we had all clogged, the water quality was horrible, and REI gave me a brand new one no questions asked.

jrwiesz
03-24-2010, 12:32
I believe I've had my initial one since '82?[B4 MSR took over the Sweetwater, I believe]; bought a second one for a bargain/clearance price in/around 2000?

No complaints here. For all of the above mentioned reasons. :sun