PDA

View Full Version : Hiawassee Inn

peakbagger
10-08-2004, 12:40
I stayed at the Hiawasse Inn in Hiawasse GA during a recent section hike and was impressed with the hiker services. Its the closest commercial establishment to Dicks Creek Gap and looks to be an easy hitch. It is about a mile closer than Molls motel (which seems to be in only semi operation). It is set back off the road and is almost hidden. There is only one sign, look for a Marathon Gas Station and drive out back. I dont have their info right at hand but they claim to be in both of this years guide books.

The owners of the Inn offer rooms or tent space, laundry and shuttles (50 cents a mile round trip from the INN). Two free shuttles in the AM to Unicoi or Dicks Creek Gap. They will shuttle to Springer (the gap 9/10 north of the summit) all the way to Fontanna. They also offer limited slackpacking. They also do afternoon pickups at Unicoi and Dicks creek.

They have been in operation for a year and a half and had over 700 thru hikers stop by. The owners really look to be pursuing the hiking community and try to help out. The owners take some pride in their place and seem to be pretty flexible, but I did sense that if someone has an atitude they may not be welcome.

One caveat is that they do not allow illegal drugs on the premises and the local police stop by on occasion with their drug dog to scan the rooms.

Youngblood
10-08-2004, 17:22
I stayed at the Hiawasse Inn in Hiawasse GA during a recent section hike and was impressed with the hiker services. Its the closest commercial establishment to Dicks Creek Gap and looks to be an easy hitch. It is about a mile closer than Molls motel (which seems to be in only semi operation). It is set back off the road and is almost hidden. There is only one sign, look for a Marathon Gas Station and drive out back. I dont have their info right at hand but they claim to be in both of this years guide books.

The owners of the Inn offer rooms or tent space, laundry and shuttles (50 cents a mile round trip from the INN). Two free shuttles in the AM to Unicoi or Dicks Creek Gap. They will shuttle to Springer (the gap 9/10 north of the summit) all the way to Fontanna. They also offer limited slackpacking. They also do afternoon pickups at Unicoi and Dicks creek.

They have been in operation for a year and a half and had over 700 thru hikers stop by. The owners really look to be pursuing the hiking community and try to help out. The owners take some pride in their place and seem to be pretty flexible, but I did sense that if someone has an atitude they may not be welcome.

One caveat is that they do not allow illegal drugs on the premises and the local police stop by on occasion with their drug dog to scan the rooms.

This is good information. I wasn't aware that they did shuttles. Afternoon pickups at Unicoi and Dicks Creek... are those pre-arranged?

Youngblood

kevin
10-08-2004, 17:43
I'd like to second Peakbagger's plug for the great people at the Hiawassee Inn. Extremely hiker friendly and a nice place to stay. When I was there they didn't have phones in the rooms, don't know if that has changed. However, I carried one of those dreaded cell phones, so didn't mind. Definitely a place I'd stay again if I was in the area.

peakbagger
10-11-2004, 12:35
Not sure on the afternoon pickups, you would need to check with them. They also mentioned that they do pickups at Neels Gap if they are called.

They still dont have phones in the rooms. They also dont take credit cards but do take personal checks.

Red Hat
03-03-2005, 14:14
I am proud to say that I was the first hiker to stay with the new owners last year. I called for a shuttle and they said they weren't open yet, but would give me a ride to town. Then they let me stay in one of the rooms after all! Wonderful guys and ready to help anyone.

The Solemates
03-03-2005, 14:36
It was closed when we went through. Stayed at Mull's instead. Hot water lasted about 1 min, literally. Wouldnt recommend it.

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2005, 19:32
I have stayed at every motel in Hiawassee, and while I've had good stays at all of them, I also would like to put in a good word for the Hiawassee Inn, where I've stayed several times. I look forward to meeting the new folks at some point, and am happy to hear that they are so hiker-friendly.

MadAussieInLondon
03-03-2005, 19:41
the hottub in the holiday inn is awesome in hiawasse

c63
03-04-2005, 00:44
Mull's is nice shes a sweet older woman, and Arby's and the store across the street are a benifit, but if your legs are strong hike the hill and stay at the Holiday Inn ..... you'll need a ID there and they will make a copy of it .. If that bothers you Mull's is awesome. But if you plan on going to the store after checking in the holiday inn you'll want to go down the steep incline in the corner, the vines are there to help you down but its not so easy getting up with a 12 pack and all you grocery items ... its a good 1/2 mile walk around with those items the proper way.

Lion King
03-06-2005, 00:29
Breakfeast Buffet Sunday on Main street right up from Mulls...FEEEEEEE_NOM_A-NUL!!!!!!! and really really cheap.

Lone Wolf
03-06-2005, 08:04
That would be the Georgia Mountain Restaurant. Saturday and Sunday all-you-can-chew breakfast buffet.

Mother Nature
03-06-2005, 19:24
We dropped off Ranger this morning at the Hiawassee Inn and got a chance to meet the new owner. He was exceptionally friendly. He told me that he was sorry that at times he didn't have a room for hikers with "regular traffic" and decided to do something about it. He created an open hiker room filled with roll away beds out of one of the rooms. I believe Ranger said the price was something like $15 or 18 dollars a night to stay in this room.

Mother Nature

JLB
03-07-2005, 01:24
I had a wonderful time at the Hiawasse Inn.

That was my terminus, after starting at Springer, and arrived on July 4th. They were have a huge cookout, and it was the best meal of my life, after days and days of rain, the sun actually came out.

The owners are great people, and one of them even drove me up to Boone NC for a fee that was incredibly reasonable.

I then did some hiking in the Smokies.

That will be my first stop on this year's trip, to pick up where I left off in Georgia. I look forward to it.

schwenkler
03-13-2005, 23:40
Nobody mentioned the free continental breakfast??
I remember coffee, juice, fresh fruit and bagels...there may have been more.

The owners are very interested in catering to thru-hikers, they will do pickups from the trail, shuttles to the downtown restaurants, which are a long way, and then take you back to the trail in the morning. They will let hikers share rooms. There are no phones in the rooms but they let me use their office phone with a calling card. They let you use their washer & dryer for about $3. The rooms are $30-40 I think...that includes breakfast!

There's two places to get into Hiawassee--both are worth it. That other town that starts with an H (was it called Helen?) does not have my approval.

[also: I just remembered while reading the other posts... I talked to one of the owners at breakfast for a while (wish I remembered his name), he was a very nice guy and he owns a copy of Wingfoot.

Although they don't take credit cards, he told me that some young thru-hikers had come through and only had credit cards, no cash/checks. He would let them stay, and tell them to call their mothers to send a check in the mail. :eek:

The moral is, bring a couple of checks on your thru-hike, and stay at the Hiawassee Inn.]

Lone Wolf
03-27-2006, 16:31
I stayed there last week. Didn't like it. When checking in I said I wanted a single room and the owner didn't want to give me one. He wanted me and That Guy to double up. I don't share rooms. He finally gave in. The following morning around 8:00 AM he rushed us to check out. I won't go back.

tiamalle
03-27-2006, 22:17
I am proud to say that I was the first hiker to stay with the new owners last year. I called for a shuttle and they said they weren't open yet, but would give me a ride to town. Then they let me stay in one of the rooms after all! Wonderful guys and ready to help anyone.Is
Ron and Sam not the owners anymore?

MacGyver2005
03-28-2006, 11:09
I stayed with them for a few days last year. My father and I slack packed the 16 miles between gaps and Ron was very accomidating. We stayed in the "hostel" which was $17 a night and was an efficiency apartment that had enough bedding for about a dozen. Ron actually had us take his shuttle to drive everyone to the buffet one night. The continental breakfast was cool, as it was basically a light breakfast provided out of their "home" next door. Ron and Sam are a cool, unique set of owners. I know we were glad to have come across them!

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

tech30528
04-09-2006, 12:12
These guys are great. I've never stayed there, since I live in the area. But I have set other people up with them on their adventures. About a month ago, a friend and his son from Florida were doing a five day. They walked in to a snow and sleet storm just north of the Ga/NC border. Jack's cell battery was about dead, and he couldn't light his stove, but with one phone call to the Hiawassee Inn, we arranged a pickup on a USFS road less than two miles from their location. You just can't beat that kind of service. I've got them on my speed dial.

digger51
04-11-2006, 11:30
I always stay with Ron and Sam when I go through Hiawassee. LW just caught them at a bad time. Ron had just undergone prostate surgery and Sam was not at his best. I hope all of LWs motel stays are good. Sorry this one wasn't.

neighbor dave
04-12-2006, 18:50
:-? not sure the holiday inn express can be beat. last year we stayed there, 5 in a huge room with 2 queen beds and a huge pull out couch. all you can eat breakfast,pool hot tub, a.c. nice view of brasstown bald, right next to everything. 2 nights. when the bill came we paid 20 dollars a piece:banana

neighbor dave
04-12-2006, 18:52
:-? not sure the holiday inn express can be beat. last year we stayed there, 5 in a huge room with 2 queen beds and a huge pull out couch. all you can eat breakfast,pool hot tub, a.c. nice view of brasstown bald, right next to everything. 2 nights. when the bill came we paid 20 dollars a piece:banana

and they suttled us back to the trail!!:jump :eek:

shoe
05-18-2006, 16:16
On this past Monoday, several of us hikers tried to call the Inn for a shuttle. All we got was their answering machine :( I have jeard they are great people but we ended up staying at the Holiday Inn Express which are great people also. Just a bit more money.

nyushka42
05-23-2006, 19:19
I stayed at the Inn about 2 weeks ago for 2 nights. First night, I got some unexpected roommates, 2 thruhikers that came in while we were at dinner, but that was ok, since the price went down from $45 to $17.50. Second night another hiker came through with a dog, and I split the room with her. Ron's very accomidating, if a bit high strung. He gave us the Inn's van to go to dinner at a AYCE the first night, and since no one wanted to go the 2nd night, he let me take it alone to McD's.
Even though I hitched in from Unicoy, he shuttled me and another hiker to Dick's Creek in the morning. I would recommend it if you have someone to split the room cost with, or if you don't mind paying the $45. Its just a small motel, so don't expect to be impressed in terms of accomidations, but the service is very good.

Nocona
06-14-2006, 18:08
I actually registered here on White Blaze solely to report on the Hiawassee Inn. I would not recommend them. My brother and I stayed there a few weeks ago for a night.

The stay began with the owners being very nice, generous and friendly. But it ended with them telling us that there was an extra (heretofore unmentioned) 10% fee for using a credit card (he said it was "tax," which I know is not true).....and a very unreasonable checkout time.

We were told that we had to be up and ready to go back to the trail at 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. I still had several errands to run in town and was looking forward to making my $30 ($60 total cost) last until at least 11 a.m. (any hotel's normal checkout time) so that I could rest and sort my food and gear out before leaving.

I asked if I could extend checkout until 10 a.m. (being sure to tell them that I didn't need a shuttle) and was told in a loud condescending voice, "I'm tired of hiker's pulling this on me!"

They said that they needed us out of there ASAP so that they could put more hikers in our room. Funny, it was late May and odds were low that a barrage of hikers was coming in that day.

Both my brother and I left with a really sour taste in our mouth.

I would recommend the new hostel called Cloud 9 that is 1.5 miles towards Hiawassee from Dick's Creek Gap, esp. for those that miss Blueberry Patch's hiker season and for those who have dogs with them.

Skidsteer
06-14-2006, 18:19
I actually registered here on White Blaze solely to report on the Hiawassee Inn. I would not recommend them. My brother and I stayed there a few weeks ago for a night.

I've heard some of the same things about the Hiawassee Inn.

Not that it matters but the bio at the top of your post says you registered 2-1-2005. Did you mean 'logged on ' instead of 'registered'?

Lone Wolf
06-14-2006, 20:05

The stay began with the owners being very nice, generous and friendly. But it ended with them telling us that there was an extra (heretofore unmentioned) 10% fee for using a credit card (he said it was "tax," which I know is not true).....and a very unreasonable checkout time.

We were told that we had to be up and ready to go back to the trail at 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. I still had several errands to run in town and was looking forward to making my $30 ($60 total cost) last until at least 11 a.m. (any hotel's normal checkout time) so that I could rest and sort my food and gear out before leaving.

I asked if I could extend checkout until 10 a.m. (being sure to tell them that I didn't need a shuttle) and was told in a loud condescending voice, "I'm tired of hiker's pulling this on me!"

They said that they needed us out of there ASAP so that they could put more hikers in our room. Funny, it was late May and odds were low that a barrage of hikers was coming in that day.

Both my brother and I left with a really sour taste in our mouth.

I would recommend the new hostel called Cloud 9 that is 1.5 miles towards Hiawassee from Dick's Creek Gap, esp. for those that miss Blueberry Patch's hiker season and for those who have dogs with them.
Same s**t with me. 999 out 1000 motel/hotels have a 11:00 AM checkout time. Plus most have phones. No phone and they wanted us out at 8:00. I was ready to go by 9:00 but stayed till 11:00 anyway. Checkout times weren't posted anywhere. Cash only was taken and no receipt was given. Buncho BS. I'm now hating hostels, shelters, AND motels near or on the trail.

Skidsteer
06-14-2006, 20:09
Same s**t with me. 999 out 1000 motel/hotels have a 11:00 AM checkout time.

And the one out of a thousand that doesn't has a check-out time of 12:00 PM.

Nocona
06-14-2006, 21:59
Yeah, if only they had simply told us UP FRONT that part of the deal there was that hikers are treated differently, that the checkout is early....then I wouldn't have been so upset.

Also, they could have told me UP FRONT that there was an extra fee for credit. BTW, the back of the door had a posted checkout of 11:00.

I thru-hiked in '98 and am sadly noticing that the Georgia accomodations have really declined. Much more expensive and aimed at taking advantage of hikers, in my opinion. Maybe some hikers have brought it on us all.

(No, I did register with White Blaze just to report this.) (But I'm enjoying the forums -- great site!)

Nocona
06-14-2006, 22:02
OK, I see what you see now....I did register in '05, but I never activated my account.

Skidsteer
06-14-2006, 22:04
OK, I see what you see now....I did register in '05, but I never activated my account.

Ah. Mystery solved. :D

Skidsteer
06-14-2006, 22:10
I thru-hiked in '98 and am sadly noticing that the Georgia accomodations have really declined. Much more expensive and aimed at taking advantage of hikers, in my opinion. Maybe some hikers have brought it on us all.

Check out Cloud 9 cabins in Hiawassee on your next trip to GA.

http://appalachiantrailservices.com/in-link/inlink_redirect.php?env=-inlink/index:m252-1-1-1-s&linkid=537

Many good reports and the owners seem straight up. :)

MONKEYBUTT
05-23-2007, 23:27
Just want to put a VERY POSITIVE note to Sam And Ron. Ron went above and beyond for myself and my buddy BIG DIPPER. My knee screwed up and he picked us up no questions asked and was at Dicks Creek Gap in about 15 mins. We got to his Inn and was greeted with a hot shower, a free cold beer, and one heck of a grill out of chicken, sausage, home made bread, and a whole lot of other fixens. Stayed the night and then shuttled us to Standing Indian to our truck. Total per person $36. Can't beat that at all. Truley impressed by the kindness of everyone there. Thanks Ron!

RockStar
05-24-2007, 02:13
I stayed there in March of '06 and got the hiker loving attitude upon arrival and slowly it turned into a very unpleasant stay. My hiking partner was leaving so her uncle drove 4 hours to get her in the middle of the night. He slept for an hour 2 tops and they wanted him to PAY for staying in the room. Then he smoked at the door and they flipped out. I won't be staying there again. Cloud 9 and the Blueberry patch are wonderful.

Nightwalker
05-24-2007, 02:47
Those two sweet guys at the Hiawassee Inn are real hiker's friends. Every time I go through town, I stop to say hello. They've invited me for supper before, even when I wasn't staying there. The service is great, and they loan you a sweatsuit or similiar to wear while your laundry is going through.

I'd recommend the place to anyone, and they treat tenters just as nice as room guests. They also allow dogs.

A+

Marta
05-24-2007, 06:49
I had a great experience there this January. They held a room for me without cc information (the motel was otherwise full of construction workers), picked me up after dark at the gap, offered a car if I wanted to drive around town, offered laundry, fed me breakfast, drove me back to the gap. Very, very nice guys. Yeah, so they're human and sometimes they're busy. I'll chance it next time I pass through there because they're really kind and generous people.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Ewker
05-24-2007, 09:13
I agree with the last few post. The Hiawassee Inn is a great place to stay. I recommend staying there to everyone who gets off in Hiawassee.

Frosty
05-24-2007, 16:10
he smoked at the door and they flipped out. I won't be staying there again. Cloud 9 and the Blueberry patch are wonderful.As I recall smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Blueberry Patch property.

Ewker
05-24-2007, 17:06
Cloud 9 and the Blueberry patch are wonderful.

I haven't stayed at the Blueberry Patch but have heard great things about it. I have stayed at Cloud 9 though and I would choose the Hiawassee Inn over Cloud 9.

RockStar
05-24-2007, 17:20
As I recall smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Blueberry Patch property.

If you will also recall I said her uncle was smoking at the door of The Hiawassee Inn. I stayed at the Blueberry Patch Alone and don't smoke period. ;)

I haven't stayed at the Blueberry Patch but have heard great things about it. I have stayed at Cloud 9 though and I would choose the Hiawassee Inn over Cloud 9.
Cloud 9 checked me in asked if I needed any help, checked in periodically to see if we needed anything and left me the hell alone. I like that. My door at the INN wouldn't even lock properly and Creepy Stalker Rick (Should be his trail name) bargged in and kept harassing my roommate and I (another female). He was helping out the Hotel owners. Nice help. Nice and creepy. And when the INN owner was giving ME a hard time instead of the guy he was mad at about the smoking, he went into naming all his health problems and venting all his "hiker frustrations". I didn't go int here and complain and vent about my experiences or pains on him. Why? Because HE had nothing to do with it. And plus I am use to my step father blaming the wrong people for his problems then finding a child to go take it out on. if he has SUCH a problem with hikers then maybe he should stop taking them. I did absolutely NOTHING WRONG and got chewed out when the person he was MAD at was less than 10 feet away from him. A grown man and NOT a hiker. We didnt throw a wild party or ask to stay late. We showered, ate, and slept.

I fogot to add the good things. Upon arrival the OTHER guy offered us some steak sauce for our steak. being an A1 fanatic it was heaven in my mouth. So 2 star for the H. Inn. **

Lone Wolf
05-24-2007, 19:20
I stayed there last week. Didn't like it. When checking in I said I wanted a single room and the owner didn't want to give me one. He wanted me and That Guy to double up. I don't share rooms. He finally gave in. The following morning around 8:00 AM he rushed us to check out. I won't go back.

i musta caught them on a real bad day. still won't go back though. if i get a motel room i expect a phone and an 11am check out time.

Ewker
05-24-2007, 19:44
If you will also recall I said her uncle was smoking at the door of The Hiawassee Inn. I stayed at the Blueberry Patch Alone and don't smoke period. ;)

Cloud 9 checked me in asked if I needed any help, checked in periodically to see if we needed anything and left me the hell alone. I like that. My door at the INN wouldn't even lock properly and Creepy Stalker Rick (Should be his trail name) bargged in and kept harassing my roommate and I (another female). He was helping out the Hotel owners. Nice help. Nice and creepy. And when the INN owner was giving ME a hard time instead of the guy he was mad at about the smoking, he went into naming all his health problems and venting all his "hiker frustrations". I didn't go int here and complain and vent about my experiences or pains on him. Why? Because HE had nothing to do with it. And plus I am use to my step father blaming the wrong people for his problems then finding a child to go take it out on. if he has SUCH a problem with hikers then maybe he should stop taking them. I did absolutely NOTHING WRONG and got chewed out when the person he was MAD at was less than 10 feet away from him. A grown man and NOT a hiker. We didnt throw a wild party or ask to stay late. We showered, ate, and slept.

I fogot to add the good things. Upon arrival the OTHER guy offered us some steak sauce for our steak. being an A1 fanatic it was heaven in my mouth. So 2 star for the H. Inn. **

we got checked in at Cloud 9 by some guy who worked their. We picked out the room upstairs instead of the room with the washer and dryer in it because we didn't want people walking in all night long doing laundry. We dropped our gear in it and headed back to town. When we arrived back Laura was waiting for us. She said she had been looking for us so we could pay. Well I offered to pay when we arrived and the guy said no problem you can do that later. We also had to ask for linens for the bed (finally got them a few hrs before bed, never got a towel which was suppose to be included. I just didn't like her attitude at all.

Totally different at Hiawassee Inn. We were treated like family. Ron offered us his van so we could drive into town for dinner, plus a change of clothes while we did laundry (which they will do for you at the same price) We received a lot more amenities than what Cloud 9 offers.

Cost difference between the two is basically nothing. So why pay for less services when I get more at HI.

Now it could have been a bad day at Cloud 9 when we got there..who knows but I can only go by my experience.

RockStar
05-24-2007, 20:02
we got checked in at Cloud 9 by some guy who worked their. We picked out the room upstairs instead of the room with the washer and dryer in it because we didn't want people walking in all night long doing laundry. We dropped our gear in it and headed back to town. When we arrived back Laura was waiting for us. She said she had been looking for us so we could pay. Well I offered to pay when we arrived and the guy said no problem you can do that later. We also had to ask for linens for the bed (finally got them a few hrs before bed, never got a towel which was suppose to be included. I just didn't like her attitude at all.

Totally different at Hiawassee Inn. We were treated like family. Ron offered us his van so we could drive into town for dinner, plus a change of clothes while we did laundry (which they will do for you at the same price) We received a lot more amenities than what Cloud 9 offers.

Cost difference between the two is basically nothing. So why pay for less services when I get more at HI.

Now it could have been a bad day at Cloud 9 when we got there..who knows but I can only go by my experience.

I guess I know where you'll be staying and you know where I'll be. :p I don't blame you for not staying at the place that left a bad taste in your mouth. I personally am gonna probbaly opt for the Holiday Inn. I like the Idea of the bike to go and come as I please. My stinky butt could use the fresh air while in town. If I DID stay anywhere it would eb the Cloud 9 or blueberry patch though. At the Blueberry Patch they did our laundry and folded it!!!!! Not to mention the AMAZING breakfast! I'm partial to FRESH blueberries and nothing else blueberry flavored but, that Syrup was out of this world on those fluffy pancakes!

Blissful
05-24-2007, 20:06
We had a great stay at Hiawasee Inn as well - they gave us the huge apartment room for our family at the hiker rate.

As for Cloud 9, Laura was pretty sick at one time there - you might have gotten her when she was under the weather, not sure. it was their first year, though, and they had a lot of hikers, more than they thought they ever would. We were treated wonderfully, a nice place and my son had a blast, but then again, we got there early in the season before the mad rush and they may have been overwhelmed later on. Takes time to get the kinks out.

RockStar
05-24-2007, 20:13
I forgot to mention...when I stayed at Cloud9 my ride picked me up that night and Laura ran down and refunded my money. I told her it wasn;t necessary as I was pleased with the Trout dip, shower, and laundry. She insisted. I insisted she keep half, she refused and said just remember us next time! I paid with debit card, she handed me cash.

Frosty
05-24-2007, 20:57
If you will also recall I said her uncle was smoking at the door of The Hiawassee Inn. I stayed at the Blueberry Patch Alone and don't smoke period. ;) I know what you said.

he smoked at the door and they flipped out. I won't be staying there again. Cloud 9 and the Blueberry patch are wonderful.Okay. I still miss the logic behind you condemnation of one and glorification of the other.

I don't like New York State because they flipped out and gave me a ticket for speeding. I won't be going there again. I drove through Connecticut without speeding and they did not give me a ticket. Connecticut is wonderful.

Okey dokey.

Let me say that the Hiawassee Inn, Cloud 9, and Blueberry Patch are all excellent places. You can't go wrong staying at any of the three.

I stayed at two, the third was not open when I was there, but I met the owners. I found the owners of all three places to be fine people extremely supportive of thruhikers. I'll be back in Georgia next spring and it will be a difficult choice as to where to stay.

We should all be appreciative of services, and not take them for granted. They provide so much help and support, it is sinful to trash them because they didn't prostrate themselves at your feet.

They said stop smoking in a non-smoking room. They wanted someone who slept in the room to pay the extra person fee. My God! How unreasonable.

These places help us tremendously, but they are still a business, and word of mouth is important. Please don't trash trail services because they want you to follow the rules you knew about beforehand.

RockStar
05-24-2007, 22:05
I know what you said.

Okay. I still miss the logic behind you condemnation of one and glorification of the other.

I don't like New York State because they flipped out and gave me a ticket for speeding. I won't be going there again. I drove through Connecticut without speeding and they did not give me a ticket. Connecticut is wonderful.

Okey dokey.

Let me say that the Hiawassee Inn, Cloud 9, and Blueberry Patch are all excellent places. You can't go wrong staying at any of the three.

I stayed at two, the third was not open when I was there, but I met the owners. I found the owners of all three places to be fine people extremely supportive of thruhikers. I'll be back in Georgia next spring and it will be a difficult choice as to where to stay.

We should all be appreciative of services, and not take them for granted. They provide so much help and support, it is sinful to trash them because they didn't prostrate themselves at your feet.

They said stop smoking in a non-smoking room. They wanted someone who slept in the room to pay the extra person fee. My God! How unreasonable.

These places help us tremendously, but they are still a business, and word of mouth is important. Please don't trash trail services because they want you to follow the rules you knew about beforehand.

First of all where is the logic in chosing ME to preach to. AS IF I am the ONLY one who had a bad report. Is it b/c I'm female and you don't have the selfrightous balls to go against the others?

Second, I got YELLED at for something SOMEONE ELSE WAS DOING. THAT is my LOGIC. I am NOONE's keeper and it had NOTHING to do with me. But, while we are on the subject...I mentioned he was smoking AT THE DOOR. Why? Because I have ALLERGIES and ask him NOT to smoke in the room!

Third, You accuse me of bad mouthing and being unappreciative. Let me clue you in clueless...Have I said anything neg. about the Hostel in Maryland? Thats odd considering Im so high and mighty. Such a whiner! They LOCK the doors at 9am and don;t open them again until 5. They DONT shuttle you and I was told in a condescending voice the hostel was a yOUTH Hosetel and DID NOT CATER to HIKERS. Which was pleasing considering that a lot of hostels who DO cater to HIKERS give speaches similar to YOURS. And USUALLY like at the H.INN it is always about some JERK HIKERS who have ALREADY PASSED THROUGH.

Have I complained about the Mountain Crossings? NO? Well thats ODD considering they THREW everyone OUT and told us it was b/c of some hikers laying up for days staying drunk. My hiking partner was INJURED and was advised by the employees to STAY another day. After the preaching we decided to move on anyway, not wanting to be bundled with the losers who hike to party. Which proved to make my hiking partner MISERABLE and her injury WORSE and ultimately led to her GOING HOME at Hiawassee! Why didnt I complain about these hostels? Because The WHOLE experience and services offered made for an overall GOOD experience. I didn't get SINGLED OUT unjustly. If the H.Inn wants to rent rooms BUNK STYLE...maybe they should knock down soem walls and have a BUNKHOUSE. We checked out AS SOON as there was someone in the office as her uncle needed to drive another 4 hours then go BACK to work. he took a damn hour nap and you act like he was hanging from the rafters with a pipe in his mouth tearing down the roof.

Get a life! Get REAL before you go single someone out that you DONT EVEN KNOW. I KNOW what happened and I KNOW it had NOTHING to DO with me and I had to sit and listen to this guy talk to me like *****. I stood holding my key waiting and thinking..."maybe he had a bad day...wait the day just started. Why is he mad at me? Wait...why doesnt he go yell at the guy STILL STANDING OUTSIDE SMOKING? Why doesnt he ASK THAT GUY TO PAY for his NAPTIME. later I thought...And if he has to pay for a nap I should get money back for the hours I wont spend in the room for checking out so early? Right?" I just wanted to get back into the woods. So as USUAL I stood there and let him get all flustered and his blood pressure sky rocket b/c he didnt have the BALLS to go CONFRONT someone his OWN SIZE with HIS PLUMBING!

I don't get drunk and do drugs or even stay up late. I need a hostel for SLEEP, SHOWER, LAUNDRY. I even stayed in my TENT in Maryland to AVOID PPL and having the same sort of situation transpire. Sure it sucked peeing in the woods at the Hostel while the doors were locked but, it sure as hell beat getting yelled at or treated like I had a GOD complex b/c I was trying to "Thru". Im sure there are hikers that whine and have tantrums but, there are also ppl offering services that do the same and if they don;t like offering the services or want a gold star patch, maybe they should be a scout leader! The Blueberry Patch is Donations only. I left 20 dollars. That left me with a few dollars in my pocket. Why? Because they DESERVED IT! I saw a LOT of ppls eyes light up when they heard "stay for donation".

Don't talk to me about appreciation. I'd appreciate it if you'd shut your pie hole or move on to the next Hiawassee Inn "basher".

digger51
05-25-2007, 04:15
Rockstar...I am sorry you had a bad experience at the Hiawassee Inn. I am glad you had a good one somewhere else.I have stayed there four times since 1999 and never had a bad experience with the owners. I realize others have and feel that is too bad as Ron and Sam are really great guys. Last year I even spent a week there helping them shuttle hikers to and from the trail while Ron recovered from prostate surgery. One thing to remember is they are motel owners and not hostel operators. You rented the room, not your uncle and were therefore responsible for what went on in it. Since he was your guest it was your responsibility to see that he followed the rules. Again I am sorry you had a bad experience and happy you found something to your liking in the area if you ever hike through there again.

Lone Wolf
05-25-2007, 04:45
One thing to remember is they are motel owners and not hostel operators.

then if someone wants to get a room to themselves the owners shouldn't throw a hissy fit. trying to cram 4 hikers to a room is BS. an 8 am checkout is also BS. motel rooms have phones too. but at least i stayed in a holiday inn express last night.:cool:

RockStar
05-25-2007, 07:25
Rockstar...I am sorry you had a bad experience at the Hiawassee Inn. I am glad you had a good one somewhere else.I have stayed there four times since 1999 and never had a bad experience with the owners. I realize others have and feel that is too bad as Ron and Sam are really great guys. Last year I even spent a week there helping them shuttle hikers to and from the trail while Ron recovered from prostate surgery. One thing to remember is they are motel owners and not hostel operators. You rented the room, not your uncle and were therefore responsible for what went on in it. Since he was your guest it was your responsibility to see that he followed the rules. Again I am sorry you had a bad experience and happy you found something to your liking in the area if you ever hike through there again.

HOW many times do I have to say it wasnt MY UNCLE. It was my HIKING PARTNERS UNCLE. :rolleyes: So if he was our guest then I suppose Ranger d*ick who bargged in our oom repeatedly was also MY responsibility. I didn't realize I was responsible for so many people. Geez I didn;t even get a Mothers Day card. Just b/c I live in Alabam doesn't mean I am RELATED to everyone. That guy is from Georgia anyway and offered me a ride to the Blueberry Patch on their way out of town.

Frosty
05-25-2007, 13:21
I didn't realize you are a woman, but I don't see why gender matters, or what it has to do with hostels.

Anyway, all I am saying is that to bash an Inn for not letting you smoke, and for requiring extra people to pay if they stay there is not helpful to the hiker community.

You seem to have had more than your share of difficulties with hostels, what with the ones in MD and Mountain Crossings and perhaps others. If you are as touchy on the trail as you seem to be here, maybe that is part of it? Not saying, jsut wondering.

Anyway, good luck to you and the people you deal with on your next hike.

First of all where is the logic in chosing ME to preach to. AS IF I am the ONLY one who had a bad report. Is it b/c I'm female and you don't have the selfrightous balls to go against the others?

Second, I got YELLED at for something SOMEONE ELSE WAS DOING. THAT is my LOGIC. I am NOONE's keeper and it had NOTHING to do with me. But, while we are on the subject...I mentioned he was smoking AT THE DOOR. Why? Because I have ALLERGIES and ask him NOT to smoke in the room!

Third, You accuse me of bad mouthing and being unappreciative. Let me clue you in clueless...Have I said anything neg. about the Hostel in Maryland? Thats odd considering Im so high and mighty. Such a whiner! They LOCK the doors at 9am and don;t open them again until 5. They DONT shuttle you and I was told in a condescending voice the hostel was a yOUTH Hosetel and DID NOT CATER to HIKERS. Which was pleasing considering that a lot of hostels who DO cater to HIKERS give speaches similar to YOURS. And USUALLY like at the H.INN it is always about some JERK HIKERS who have ALREADY PASSED THROUGH.

Have I complained about the Mountain Crossings? NO? Well thats ODD considering they THREW everyone OUT and told us it was b/c of some hikers laying up for days staying drunk. My hiking partner was INJURED and was advised by the employees to STAY another day. After the preaching we decided to move on anyway, not wanting to be bundled with the losers who hike to party. Which proved to make my hiking partner MISERABLE and her injury WORSE and ultimately led to her GOING HOME at Hiawassee! Why didnt I complain about these hostels? Because The WHOLE experience and services offered made for an overall GOOD experience. I didn't get SINGLED OUT unjustly. If the H.Inn wants to rent rooms BUNK STYLE...maybe they should knock down soem walls and have a BUNKHOUSE. We checked out AS SOON as there was someone in the office as her uncle needed to drive another 4 hours then go BACK to work. he took a damn hour nap and you act like he was hanging from the rafters with a pipe in his mouth tearing down the roof.

Get a life! Get REAL before you go single someone out that you DONT EVEN KNOW. I KNOW what happened and I KNOW it had NOTHING to DO with me and I had to sit and listen to this guy talk to me like *****. I stood holding my key waiting and thinking..."maybe he had a bad day...wait the day just started. Why is he mad at me? Wait...why doesnt he go yell at the guy STILL STANDING OUTSIDE SMOKING? Why doesnt he ASK THAT GUY TO PAY for his NAPTIME. later I thought...And if he has to pay for a nap I should get money back for the hours I wont spend in the room for checking out so early? Right?" I just wanted to get back into the woods. So as USUAL I stood there and let him get all flustered and his blood pressure sky rocket b/c he didnt have the BALLS to go CONFRONT someone his OWN SIZE with HIS PLUMBING!

I don't get drunk and do drugs or even stay up late. I need a hostel for SLEEP, SHOWER, LAUNDRY. I even stayed in my TENT in Maryland to AVOID PPL and having the same sort of situation transpire. Sure it sucked peeing in the woods at the Hostel while the doors were locked but, it sure as hell beat getting yelled at or treated like I had a GOD complex b/c I was trying to "Thru". Im sure there are hikers that whine and have tantrums but, there are also ppl offering services that do the same and if they don;t like offering the services or want a gold star patch, maybe they should be a scout leader! The Blueberry Patch is Donations only. I left 20 dollars. That left me with a few dollars in my pocket. Why? Because they DESERVED IT! I saw a LOT of ppls eyes light up when they heard "stay for donation".

Don't talk to me about appreciation. I'd appreciate it if you'd shut your pie hole or move on to the next Hiawassee Inn "basher".

digger51
05-25-2007, 13:34
You are absolutely right LW. There have been times I wanted a private room but they guys asked me to let others share because that is what they have been told hikers like...sharing the room and lowering the cost per person. They also have been led to believe by many hikers that getting back to the trail early is the way the hikers want it, so they try to get people out early so they can start hiking and be ready for the next group brought down as the first group departs. I will give them a call and let them know that they might need to be a little more flexible. But they have only tried to do what the majority of hikers have indiated they want. I agree not having things the way I like is a pain at times...such as getting into Hot Springs in the morning and having to wait till the afternoon to see if you got selected in the lottery to spend the night at Elmers as happened to me one year or staying at the motel there and having to use the phone by the laundromat as there were none in the rooms, or no tv for that matter. No place is perfect but they all do the best they can as they see it for us.

digger51
05-25-2007, 13:44
Rockstar...my apologies, not your uncle.

RockStar
05-25-2007, 15:02
I didn't realize you are a woman, but I don't see why gender matters, or what it has to do with hostels.

Anyway, all I am saying is that to bash an Inn for not letting you smoke, and for requiring extra people to pay if they stay there is not helpful to the hiker community.

You seem to have had more than your share of difficulties with hostels, what with the ones in MD and Mountain Crossings and perhaps others. If you are as touchy on the trail as you seem to be here, maybe that is part of it? Not saying, jsut wondering.

Anyway, good luck to you and the people you deal with on your next hike.

Well I can point out 2 people who had neg. things to say about the same Inn yet where is your speach to them> Only the little lady gets it?

And 1 MORE TIME I am gonna say this...
-I DO NOT SMOKE.
-I HAVE NO PERSONAL ISSUE WITH MOUNTAIN CROSSINGS OR THE MD HOSTEL. MY POINT WAS THAT IF I WAS so TOUCHY I would have REPORTED the atrocities here. Sure I would have PREFERED the owners/keepers to be in a better mood and not take it out on EVERYONE what a few hikers did but, they didn't YELL AT ME for it. They simply AIRED their OPINIONS and kicked EVERYONE out at MC and in MD they made CLEAR they didn't offer "special services" for hikers. I could care less as I don't need SPECIAL SERVICES. I just needed a SHOWER, LAUNDRY, and SLEEP.

You are killing me. Please find your glasses and ask someone to explain this to you. Maybe your blood sugar is low and you're having trouble comprehending. :rolleyes:

Ill be at the local Hotels making sure people that have NOTHING to do with me aren't smoking in the doorway of the rooms. Since that is my responsibility and all. :rolleyes:

Rockstar...my apologies, not your uncle.

No problem. Unlike some people who STILL don't GET IT.

Frosty
05-25-2007, 16:14
-I HAVE NO PERSONAL ISSUE WITH MOUNTAIN CROSSINGS OR THE MD HOSTEL. MY POINT WAS THAT IF I WAS so TOUCHY I would have REPORTED the atrocities here. Sure I would have PREFERED the owners/keepers to be in a better mood and not take it out on EVERYONE what a few hikers did but, they didn't YELL AT ME for it. They simply AIRED their OPINIONS and kicked EVERYONE out at MC and in MD they made CLEAR they didn't offer "special services" for hikers. I could care less as I don't need SPECIAL SERVICES. I just needed a SHOWER, LAUNDRY, and SLEEP.

You are killing me. Please find your glasses and ask someone to explain this to you. Maybe your blood sugar is low and you're having trouble comprehending. :rolleyes: I'll have my son read your emails to me real slow and explain them to me. Meantime chill a bit, dude or dudette as the case may be. Rancor poisons the body, and causes physical manifestations of pain and discomfort, and shortens lives. The object of your ire is relaxed and chuckling, if a bit bemused at all the caps.

Remember that life is 10% what happens and 90% what you do with it.

Have a nice hike.

RockStar
05-25-2007, 18:18
I'll have my son read your emails to me real slow and explain them to me. Meantime chill a bit, dude or dudette as the case may be. Rancor poisons the body, and causes physical manifestations of pain and discomfort, and shortens lives. The object of your ire is relaxed and chuckling, if a bit bemused at all the caps.

Remember that life is 10% what happens and 90% what you do with it.

Have a nice hike.

Finally. And you are right about Rancor. *big stinky hiker hugs*

The Irish Ghost
04-14-2008, 19:06
Ron and Sam gave a birthday bash to celebrate 86th birthday of Batch who is through hiking the AT and taking a well deserved rest and enjoying gracious hospitality of the Hiawasse Inn.My expiernce here shows me that there are still kind, loving and caring people on earth.Ron prepared a wonderful dinner that consisted of Seafood Au Graten ,Mediterranean Salad with mandarin oranges, Rolls ,and Home Made Birthday cake with fresh strawberries.Batch blew out all candles ,and presents handed out by hikers and the hosts.A good time was had by all. Ron and Sam are Angels on Earth.

xanadu
04-16-2008, 16:24
I just finished doing a section hike and stayed at the H Inn for 2 nights. The rooms are clean, water is hot and the owners were very helpful. It's an old Inn but the walks were freshly cleaned and painted. They offered me cloths to wear while they did my laundry. They drove me to the steak house and opened up the living room of their house for breakfest.They do not have phones in the rooms but I was allowed to use the owners phone card to make a call untill I bought one the next day.
I felt real safe there and would recomend it to other through or section hikers.

trailblazer30577
04-29-2008, 12:28
I'm "mapping" out a strategy that will lead to rewards for the workers like those at the Hiawassee Inn, as well as to help y'all stay healthy on the trails. Having a plan to keep your system hydrated with the best hydration product from the Earth, and knowing where your supply will be waiting for you... that is the goal! Note that I did not say on Earth, even though that is the case as well. If you want to help build the network that will reward those people who show kindness to you along your way, please contact me, and share their information with me.

orangebug
04-29-2008, 14:06
You might want to re-edit your URL for a Shaklee product, except it sounds a lot like SPAMming the list.

mooseboy
06-15-2009, 02:37
Wow, such a mixed bag of reviews from hikers... I was considering staying here on my GA section-hike, but now I'm a little leery... If I stay a night in a motel, I definitely don't want to be rushed out at 8 a.m.

The credit card fee sounds like B.S. too, although 10% of $35-40 isn't really a huge burden. I generally try to put as much as possible on cards during a hike.

The responses are SO varied, though, I truly don' t know which side to believe. I'll be doing this in September, so the nearer Hostels are not an option... Holiday Inn sounds too expensive, but I'll definitely be ready for a motel at this point in the hike. Who knows, I may be leaving an angry post here myself in several months...:rolleyes:

Jack - Straw
06-15-2009, 06:15
Stayed @ Hiawassee Inn this year on a 350 mile Section Hike to Erwin and probably had the best experience along with Ron Haven at the Budget Inn in Franklin.

Ron (Hiawassee Inn) was extremely helpful, was waiting for me @ Dicks Creek, I called 1 hour before I got to the Gap.

I had Travelers checks with me (bad idea) in $1,000 denominations. Ron was willing to deposit it in his account and give me cash but his bank wouldn't accept the check for fear of counterfit. But the point is he was going to do it! Just met him! He also stored two boxes for me for over 2 mo's then would not accept a penny for storage when I returned to pick them up.

Bottom line, very kind people. JS

Lone Wolf
06-15-2009, 06:29
stay at the holiday inn express. you know exactly what you're getting

Lyle
06-15-2009, 07:56
My stay at the Inn was a little over a year ago. Took a zero there. The owners were having some personal difficulties in their life - had to do some unexpected travel, but they were still very friendly and accommodating. Provided shuttle service from and to the trail, laundered our clothes (even supplying clean clothes while ours were being laundered) and returned it to our room neatly folded, gave the hikers use of their van in the evening for dinner/shopping runs, provided continental breakfast in their living room each morning. The only extra charge that I encountered was a reasonable fee for the shuttle - totally understandable with the costs involved.

I would stay there again, and would recommend it to others.

CaseyB
06-15-2009, 08:49
Wow, such a mixed bag of reviews from hikers... I was considering staying here on my GA section-hike, but now I'm a little leery... If I stay a night in a motel, I definitely don't want to be rushed out at 8 a.m.

The credit card fee sounds like B.S. too, although 10% of $35-40 isn't really a huge burden. I generally try to put as much as possible on cards during a hike.

The responses are SO varied, though, I truly don' t know which side to believe. I'll be doing this in September, so the nearer Hostels are not an option... Holiday Inn sounds too expensive, but I'll definitely be ready for a motel at this point in the hike. Who knows, I may be leaving an angry post here myself in several months...:rolleyes:

If you're hiking anytime soon, you won't get rushed out. I think that & the room-sharing only happens during the thru-hiker crunch. My Dad & I stayed there on our section last year & they were real nice. I think we hit Hiwassee about May 9? They let us take their van to go eat, our laundry got done while we were gone, and the place was just generally nice. They yogied us a ride back to the trail the next morning from another hotel guest going that way. You can walk to a Dollar General or whatever right nextdoor

mateozzz
06-20-2009, 16:26
I stayed there in May and Ron said they were moving out and a new operator was taking over, sometime in June. Not sure if it will stay hiker friendly.

Matt

Red Hat
06-20-2009, 17:20
Ron and Sam sold the Hiawassee Inn??? Say it isn't so!

Nightwalker
02-24-2010, 18:06
I spoke earlier this year to someone there, and they still do hiker services. Including bringing a box to Dick's Creek (for a fee) if you don't want to come to town.

Rockhound
02-24-2010, 18:25
Maybe someone with some experience with hiking and providing hiker services will come along and purchase it. We can only hope.

Rockhound
02-24-2010, 18:47
That's called foreshadowing.

Skidsteer
02-24-2010, 19:00
Maybe someone with some experience with hiking and providing hiker services will come along and purchase it. We can only hope.

That's called foreshadowing.

I think Karnak is still available as a trailname....

Hooch
02-24-2010, 19:05
http://pyleoflist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/carnac.jpg

rjridgely
02-24-2010, 19:06
I tried staying at the Inn around jan 24th and it was closed, stayed at Moll's and the ride I arraigned back to the trail was Ron, who told me they gave up the Inn late last summer and that the people running the Inn were busted for a meth lab there and it is now closed until....well, who knows.

Thank goodness the door was open and I could retrieve my Drop box