PDA

View Full Version : Why would you lie???

sidebackside
03-24-2010, 11:59
So...I've been talking on another "social network" with a guy who says he is currently hiking the AT. I see his name pop up in the chat box so I IM him asking him where he's at on the trail. He says,"At a shelter somewhere between the Cherokee National Forrest and The Great Smoky Mountains National Park." So I say,"what shelter are you staying at?" He says,"I don't know exactly...it's 'unlabeled'." I certainly could be wrong since I've yet to hike the AT but, that just seems a little strange to me. A shelter "unlabeled".
So I have a question: Are there shelters on the AT that have no-name?

10-K
03-24-2010, 12:01
No, but they don't all have signs with the name of the shelter on it though... Most do.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2010, 12:03
So...I've been talking on another "social network" with a guy who says he is currently hiking the AT. I see his name pop up in the chat box so I IM him asking him where he's at on the trail. He says,"At a shelter somewhere between the Cherokee National Forrest and The Great Smoky Mountains National Park." So I say,"what shelter are you staying at?" He says,"I don't know exactly...it's 'unlabeled'." I certainly could be wrong since I've yet to hike the AT but, that just seems a little strange to me. A shelter "unlabeled".

he's F O S :)

sidebackside
03-24-2010, 12:03
No, but they don't all have signs with the name of the shelter on it though... Most do.

Thanks for the info 10-K. But one would think that if hiking the AT you would know what shelter your staying at regardless if there's a sign or not, right?

sidebackside
03-24-2010, 12:05

Lone Wolf I think your right. Check this out...I just ask him how close he was to Fontana. He replied back asking,"what state is it in?"

Why in the world would someone 'act' like they're hiking the AT?

Ender
03-24-2010, 12:07
Thanks for the info 10-K. But one would think that if hiking the AT you would know what shelter your staying at regardless if there's a sign or not, right?

Probably, but maybe not. Who knows if he has a guidebook or not.

bus
03-24-2010, 12:09
just don't send him your address or ''fancy'' pictures and you should be o.k. :)

sidebackside
03-24-2010, 12:11
Probably, but maybe not. Who knows if he has a guidebook or not.

I suppose I could see, maybe, just maybe, not knowing where your at without a guidebook. But, when I was talking to him he said he was talking on his net book. So...

Rain Man
03-24-2010, 12:33

All (to my knowledge) have a name. However, many do not have labels or signs affixed to them, telling their names, no.

As far as why people lie? Let us all know if you figure that one out! :-? Just know that they do, especially at anonymous keyboards ... and time will tell.

Rain:sunMan

Many Walks
03-24-2010, 12:35
Give him some slack...he's in Rio humping his soulmate!

10-K
03-24-2010, 12:41

Love it! :)

rhjanes
03-24-2010, 13:54
Please come by and clean up the soda I just sprayed all over my monitor.... :D

Cabin Fever
03-24-2010, 13:58
He could never be between the Smokies and Cherokee National Forest. He is either in one or the other. Cherokee is south and north of the Smokies.

dzierzak
03-24-2010, 14:00
Sure he could be. He'd just have to be two-dimensional - Flatland!

sidebackside
03-24-2010, 14:16
What pretty much sealed it for me was when I ask him how far out from Fontana he was and he said,"Where's that at?" Here's the kicker though...right after he said that he said he has hiked solo twice but that he was hiking in a group now. Dude..seriously...why would you lie?

Mountain Wildman
03-24-2010, 14:26
Maybe he is lonely and just want's to be a part of something.
I came on this site through the ATC site while I was researching the A.T. for a thru-hike. I lurked around a little to get recommendations on gear and when I saw questions posted that I thought I had a good suggestion for I decided to sign up and been here every day since. It was comforting for me to see that I was not the only one who had become obsessed with the A.T. And I still cant explain the tremendous draw the A.T. has on me. Cannot wait until next March!!!

gravy4601
03-24-2010, 14:59
gives his boring life something to talk about

elmotoots
03-24-2010, 15:16
Maybe he just don't want to tell a stranger where he is. Unless your saying you know him, it is no supprise to me he won't tell you exactly where he is.

He may be hiking alone.

brian039
03-24-2010, 15:20
He could never be between the Smokies and Cherokee National Forest. He is either in one or the other. Cherokee is south and north of the Smokies.

The Nantahalla National Forest is between the Smokies and Cherokee National Forest.

Jonnycat
03-24-2010, 15:32
Um, yeah, I was on the AT, right at the, um, I mean right between the, er, trees and a, um, water thing. Yeah, that's where I was!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2agkosm.jpg

white_russian
03-24-2010, 15:33
From what you say it sounds like a bunch of crap. Right now in the south even the no map and no book folks know where they are at because of how crowded it is, unless of course they were 100% anti-social. Outside of thru hiker season I have seen folks long distance hiking the AT with no map and no book with no clue what is ahead of them and not even realizing there are guidebooks.

sidebackside
03-24-2010, 15:46
Maybe he just don't want to tell a stranger where he is. Unless your saying you know him, it is no supprise to me he won't tell you exactly where he is.

He may be hiking alone.

right after he said that he said he has hiked solo twice but that he was hiking in a group now.

Elmotoots-No, I don't know him very well...but I wouldn't say that we are 'strangers'. Think about this though...if you ask someone how far away from Fontana they were and them being 100% serious ask where is that at? After saying they've solo'd twice...just a little weird to me?

CaseyB
03-24-2010, 15:50
Yeah he's lying...but don't take it personally, it's only the intrawebs

sidebackside
03-24-2010, 15:54
Yeah he's lying...but don't take it personally, it's only the intrawebs

I hear ya...

garlic08
03-24-2010, 15:56
I met a couple of posers on my hike. I passed one guy three times. He kept yellow-blazing ahead. That's fine, but I overheard him bragging about his thru-hiking pace. Right. Another guy told me he got on the trail back in South Carolina. Right.

It seems to me most hikers know where they are spending the night, and those who stay at shelters can usually remember every shelter months into the future. That seems to be one of the big conversations at shelters--other shelters.

Cookerhiker
03-24-2010, 16:11
Not likely, but I suppose it's possible that he heard of the AT, wanted to hike on it, and didn't buy any maps, guides, etc. Someone let him off at a road crossing, he started following the white blazes. And perhaps he does keep to himself although it's hard to avoid talking to fellow hikers when staying at a shelter. And we know that this time of year in the South, the shelters ain't gonna be vacant. The truth will come out.

It's not out of the realm of possibility; some WBers admit they intend to just start walking with no maps and no resupply or other plans. Once on a section hike, I met a SOBO thruhiker who told me he was hiking "cold." No planning, just started walking.

As to the question why people lie: my take is that they view hiking the whole AT as an accomplishment which will impress their friends or anyone they talk to. Why else? I don't think they lie just for themselves.

I'm aware of a couple who started a thruhike and hiked probably more than half the AT, perhaps 2/3. But they definitely didn't come close to finishing it and yet their website (not a TJ-type website) says they "hiked the Appalachian Trail." Just vague enough, not saying they "thruhiked" or hiked the "entire" AT. Are they lying or misleading? Does it matter? Who cares?

Slo-go'en
03-24-2010, 17:03
But, when I was talking to him he said he was talking on his net book. So...

Humm, do net books do celluar or just Wi-Fi? Guess he might have a celluar card.

In any event, it seems unlikely anyone would be lugging a net book and wasting battery life in a chat room. Maybe in town, but not at a shelter.

As for knowing where you are, I usually know the name of the shetler I'm at, maybe know the shelter I'll be at the next day, but don't ask me where I was the night before!

Roland
03-24-2010, 17:08
People lie in chat rooms???

Say it ain't so.

Mongoose2
03-24-2010, 19:53
He's FOS, I'm at that shelter right now and he's not here!! I'll let you know if he shows up!!

Mongoose2
03-24-2010, 19:55
By the way the weather is very nice and I'm watching TV. I carried one with me, along with my netbook.

Blissful
03-24-2010, 20:10
Ha - amazed lying about hiking the AT is such a shocker with what's been happening these days. Lying is so commonplace. Sad but true.

Kel, the "Stickman"
03-24-2010, 20:31
maybe he's IS a politician...

you can tell if a politician is lying... their lips move!

Desert Reprobate
03-24-2010, 20:54
It should be easy to figure out which shelters have Wifi for netbooks.

berkshirebirder
03-24-2010, 20:56
...a guy who says he is currently hiking the AT.

Tempest in a teapot. He didn't say he was THRU-hiking the A.T. He's hiking the A.T. like millions of other people every year.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-24-2010, 20:59
another piss ant wannabe

WILLIAM HAYES
03-24-2010, 21:05
hey dont make fun of our governor his staff misunderstood him they thought he said he was hiking on the appalachian trail but he really said he was going to get some argentinian t.....

Mags
03-24-2010, 21:09
Better question....

Why would someone start a thread about someone hiking the AT and who may or may not be embellishing? :rolleyes:

ChinMusic
03-24-2010, 21:09
Lone Wolf I think your right. Check this out...I just ask him how close he was to Fontana. He replied back asking,"what state is it in?"

Tell him Kentucky.......

Terry7
03-24-2010, 22:55
packsniffer

STICK
03-25-2010, 01:18
He's FOS, I'm at that shelter right now and he's not here!! I'll let you know if he shows up!!

That cracked me up!

I came on this site through the ATC site while I was researching the A.T. for a thru-hike. I lurked around a little to get recommendations on gear and when I saw questions posted that I thought I had a good suggestion for I decided to sign up and been here every day since. It was comforting for me to see that I was not the only one who had become obsessed with the A.T. And I still cant explain the tremendous draw the A.T. has on me. Cannot wait until next March!!!

+ a million.

I can't get it out of my head.

Carbo
03-25-2010, 09:50
I've said a zillion times "I'm through hiking" and no one ever questioned that!

saimyoji
03-25-2010, 11:10
anyone remember Ridge? :rolleyes:

Fiddleback
03-25-2010, 11:25
To quote one of my favorite commercials...

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet...that's how World War I got started..."

FB

Chaco Taco
03-25-2010, 12:18
Elmotoots-No, I don't know him very well...but I wouldn't say that we are 'strangers'. Think about this though...if you ask someone how far away from Fontana they were and them being 100% serious ask where is that at? After saying they've solo'd twice...just a little weird to me?

So why continue to talk to him?

sidebackside
03-25-2010, 12:24
So why continue to talk to him?

I haven't talked to him since we had that conversation Chaco.

Chaco Taco
03-25-2010, 13:10
I haven't talked to him since we had that conversation Chaco.

Gotcha. Yea I met a guy in 06 that was saying he was a thru. His gear just didnt seem like that which a thru would carry. Dressed in all cotton and workboots. Just seemed like he was runnin.

Gray Blazer
03-25-2010, 13:13

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet...that's how World War I got started..."

FB

Thanks for that, Al Gore.

SGT Rock
03-25-2010, 13:20
Why would any guy lie?

To meet chicks.

Kerosene
03-25-2010, 13:44
I ran into a supposed SOBO thru in Tennessee a few years ago, but none of the other SOBOs had ever heard of him and neither his gear or his practices led me to believe he was hiking thru. Of course, he was "hiking back home" to that area and was going to get off the trail in a few days. He latched onto me for a day and a night, which left me feeling uncomfortable.

Slo-go'en
03-25-2010, 14:01
Gotcha. Yea I met a guy in 06 that was saying he was a thru. His gear just didnt seem like that which a thru would carry. Dressed in all cotton and workboots. Just seemed like he was runnin.

That reminds me of my only encounter with Ward Lenord on the trial. Was eating lunch at a shelter with another guy when Ward shows up. He takes a look around and says " You guys aren't thru-hikers - your gear isn't dirty enough" then storms off. So, make sure you get your gear good and dirty if you want to be a real thru-hiker!

Jim Adams
03-25-2010, 14:44
Why in the world would someone 'act' like they're hiking the AT?

Have you ever been on WB before?...there are people all over here that say they are hikers!:D

geek

Chaco Taco
03-25-2010, 15:51
That reminds me of my only encounter with Ward Lenord on the trial. Was eating lunch at a shelter with another guy when Ward shows up. He takes a look around and says " You guys aren't thru-hikers - your gear isn't dirty enough" then storms off. So, make sure you get your gear good and dirty if you want to be a real thru-hiker!

yea this guy ended up being arrested near Hot Springs, outstanding warrants in Georgia

Jan LiteShoe
03-25-2010, 15:59
Better question....

Why would someone start a thread about someone hiking the AT and who may or may not be embellishing? :rolleyes:

Mags, read my mind.

Disney
03-25-2010, 16:19

FB

I may have to put that as my facebook status.

sidebackside
04-06-2010, 11:20
Why would any guy lie?

To meet chicks.

Your probably right SGT. As a matter of fact, a few months back this same guy was trying to get MTV to film his thru or...supposed thru-hike. His plan was to have 2 groups of mixed-gender hikers.

sidebackside
04-26-2010, 17:29
He's back on the trail. Somewhere between Springer and Katahdin.:)

Nean
04-26-2010, 18:11
Maybe Eric Ryback is his hero.:p

Tell him to write a book....:rolleyes:

kayak karl
04-26-2010, 18:16

Tell him to write a book....:rolleyes:
Hey Let It Be, how you been??

sidebackside
04-26-2010, 20:38

I'm obviously missing something. Probably because I don't know who Eric Ryback is???

kayak karl
04-26-2010, 20:45
Hey Let It Be, how you been??
Hal the Hiker is back on the trail:)

TIDE-HSV
04-26-2010, 21:14
Ask him if he''s reached the big stone shelter yet that looks like a little castle. If he says "no,"tell him to let you know when he reaches it. BTW, Ryback was the king of all hiking fiction...

Mags
04-26-2010, 21:27
I'm obviously missing something. Probably because I don't know who Eric Ryback is???

In the 1970s, he was a well known backpacker in his early 20s who wrote about his journeys on the AT, the PCT and what is now considered (more or less) the CDT.

After the books, he did the normal job/children/marriage thing. Two years ago, he rejoined the community and was overwhelmed at how big this tribe has become.

His accounts have inspired people. His claims have been questioned.

That's a neutral description as any. :)
More info:
http://www.google.com/search?q=eric+ryback&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

weary
04-26-2010, 21:28
....Why in the world would someone 'act' like they're hiking the AT?
Well one can only speculate, but perhaps because, like some (many?) on White Blaze, his goal may have been, not to have hiked and enjoyed the trail, but simply to have achieved a thru hike, and gotten a mostly meaningless piece of paper. If one's goal is only to prompt ATC to give them a piece of paper, why not cheat. A lot of others who submit the ATC forms "cheat" in lesser ways.

Weary

sidebackside
04-26-2010, 22:23
Thanks for the Info Mags. Very interesting information. Seems he has drawn a lot of attention.

Tin Man
04-26-2010, 23:36
ERIC ryback? don't you mean CASEY ryback?

Nean
04-27-2010, 12:04
ERIC ryback? don't you mean CASEY ryback?

From reading an old register out west years ago I found that even the hikers that came soon after him were refering to yellowblazing as rybacking.

If you ever see an old PCT guidebook they explain the lawsuits filed that exposed Eric as a fraud and he soon disappeared.

He was brought out of the woodwork to market an org. out west who apparently have even less integrity.

Nean
04-27-2010, 12:07
Hal the Hiker is back on the trail:)

Hal the Hiker, like you KK , are the real deal.:) I'll be back on in a week or 2.;)

Nean
04-27-2010, 12:37
In the 1970s, he was a well known backpacker in his early 20s who wrote about his journeys on the AT, the PCT and what is now considered (more or less) the CDT.

After the books, he did the normal job/children/marriage thing. Two years ago, he rejoined the community and was overwhelmed at how big this tribe has become.

His accounts have inspired people. His claims have been questioned.

That's a neutral description as any. :)
More info:
http://www.google.com/search?q=eric+ryback&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Thanks for the link Mags. :)

I saw one link in there from WD titled Eric and Bill Clinton... too funny.

What got me was the book and his age. He hiked the AT at like 15, the Cdt at 16, and then at 17 on the PCT (and writing a book) he decides he will suddenly yellowblaze (and yellowblaze a lot)? :-? No, he was a young kid doing sections and tried to take full credit and got caught. He was shamed from the community for 20 years until he was given a free ride to promote an event and in turn they would promote him as legendary and leave off the fraud. Birds of the same feather and all that...:rolleyes:

sidebackside
05-05-2010, 17:12
Have you ever been on WB before?...there are people all over here that say they are hikers!:D

geek

Thanks to a recent thread, I've learned these people are called "Packsniffers". :)

Jester2000
05-06-2010, 12:27
From reading an old register out west years ago I found that even the hikers that came soon after him were refering to yellowblazing as rybacking.

If you ever see an old PCT guidebook they explain the lawsuits filed that exposed Eric as a fraud and he soon disappeared.

He was brought out of the woodwork to market an org. out west who apparently have even less integrity.

I'm ignorant of the organization of which you speak or the event, so you may have to fill me in there.

But the "lawsuits filed that exposed Eric as a fraud?" Yeah, that's nonsense. The "lawsuits filed" was a libel lawsuit filed by Eric and Chronicle Books. And guess who they were suing? Wilderness Press, the publishers of the guidebooks that "explain the lawsuits." So, you know, NOT an uninterested party.

That the lawsuit was dismissed is not proof that Ryback was lying -- the ONLY thing it proves is that the court did not feel he could prove LIBEL. There are lawyers on whiteblaze who could describe better than I how difficult proving libel is; the point here is that what you suggest -- that the lawsuits "proved" Eric a fraud -- is absolutely 100% not true.

And as for reading an old register, I can say from personal experience that trail rumor and innuendo spread by people who have little to no connection to you is, shall we say, slightly less than trustworthy.

Eric did, in fact, "disappear." And who wouldn't, considering all of the bull****? When he was invited to speak at the 2008 ADZPCTKO, I suspect that he mainly decided to make an appearance because his sons were hiking. And he was moved, not just as Mags notes, by the size of the community, but by the reception he received -- he was welcomed wholeheartedly.

I talked to him at the cabins that night, and I can tell you firsthand that he was moved to tears. He has since rejoined the community and is an asset to it. Why some wish to drag old animosity, rumor, and rancor into the present is quite beyond me.

BAG "o" TRICKS
05-06-2010, 12:56

i agree, but i've been in the desert on a horse with no name

Nean
05-06-2010, 13:03
I'm ignorant of the organization of which you speak or the event, so you may have to fill me in there.

The Gathering out "West"

But the "lawsuits filed that exposed Eric as a fraud?" Yeah, that's nonsense. The "lawsuits filed" was a libel lawsuit filed by Eric and Chronicle Books. And guess who they were suing? Wilderness Press, the publishers of the guidebooks that "explain the lawsuits." So, you know, NOT an uninterested party.

Wilderness Press counter sued as I recall and came forth with signed documents of prominate townspeople, rangers, etc. who all said they gave Eric major rides. After that Eric dropped his suit, according to Wilderness Press.
Then he disappeared, out of shame I suspect.

That the lawsuit was dismissed is not proof that Ryback was lying -- the ONLY thing it proves is that the court did not feel he could prove LIBEL. There are lawyers on whiteblaze who could describe better than I how difficult proving libel is; the point here is that what you suggest -- that the lawsuits "proved" Eric a fraud -- is absolutely 100% not true.

The signed documents were the proof and Erics' suit was dropped by Eric, not dismissed. Besides, all you have to do is read the book and do the math.

And as for reading an old register, I can say from personal experience that trail rumor and innuendo spread by people who have little to no connection to you is, shall we say, slightly less than trustworthy.

Just pointing out that even the hikers of his day thought he was full of it.

Eric did, in fact, "disappear." And who wouldn't, considering all of the bull****?

B>S> he created

When he was invited to speak at the 2008 ADZPCTKO, I suspect that he mainly decided to make an appearance because his sons were hiking. And he was moved, not just as Mags notes, by the size of the community, but by the reception he received -- he was welcomed wholeheartedly.

Most people don't know his history these days.

I talked to him at the cabins that night, and I can tell you firsthand that he was moved to tears. He has since rejoined the community and is an asset to it. Why some wish to drag old animosity, rumor, and rancor into the present is quite beyond me.

The only rumor was Eric being the first to hike the triple. At least he didn't claim solo. And I'm sure the tears were touching. I knew a girl like that too- get caught- start crying. Sympathy for the devil and all that jazz.

Jack Tarlin
05-06-2010, 13:13
Hmmm. This one's gonna open a REAL can of worms, but with few exceptions, I can think of quite a few Triple Crowners who I very much doubt actually walked the Western Trails in their entirety. Having seen how casual they were about repeatedly skipping chunks of the A.T., I have no reason whatsoever to believe that they became committed purists on other Trails. (And yeah, I realize that in many cases, the Western Trails are quite different from the A.T. and that in many cases, you have to navigate your own travel and direction; I'm not talking about this; I'm talking about people who deliberately chose, for any number of reasons, to skip good-sized chunks of the Trail).

And no, I'm not including Nean!! :D

Nean
05-06-2010, 13:23
Hmmm. This one's gonna open a REAL can of worms, but with few exceptions, I can think of quite a few Triple Crowners who I very much doubt actually walked the Western Trails in their entirety. Having seen how casual they were about repeatedly skipping chunks of the A.T., I have no reason whatsoever to believe that they became committed purists on other Trails. (And yeah, I realize that in many cases, the Western Trails are quite different from the A.T. and that in many cases, you have to navigate your own travel and direction; I'm not talking about this; I'm talking about people who deliberately chose, for any number of reasons, to skip good-sized chunks of the Trail).

And no, I'm not including Nean!! :D

Thanks Jack, and I'm well aware Ryback is not alone and by skipping chunks. I assume you mean yellowblazing. The only ones that still get my goat are people who claim a first and yellowblaze or a speed record and blueblaze becuase they take credit away from the person who did do it.

Jester2000
05-06-2010, 14:03
The only rumor was Eric being the first to hike the triple. At least he didn't claim solo. And I'm sure the tears were touching. I knew a girl like that too- get caught- start crying. Sympathy for the devil and all that jazz.

First, inserting your comments in something that states "Originally Posted by Jester2000" is unnecessarily confusing. I was surprised to see that I had said:

"The signed documents were the proof and Erics' suit was dropped by Eric, not dismissed. Besides, all you have to do is read the book and do the math." Because I didn't.

I know you weren't intending to confuse anyone. But there are better ways to respond than altering my quote.

Second, a signed affidavit is proof only that someone is making a claim. I, for example, could sign an affidavit that says that Baltimore Jack is eight feet tall and breathes fire. That wouldn't make it so (although he is and he can). So the "signed documents" are proof of nothing other than that those people were making those claims. None of what they said was proved in court or anywhere else.

Personally, I wasn't aware that ALDHA-West was an integrity-challenged organization, or that they were so obsessed with "marketing" the Western Gathering.

Note this: nowhere have I made any claims whatsoever about what Eric did or didn't do. I don't claim that anything is proven or disproven. I choose to believe the opinions of the hikers from the 70's (the "hikers of his day") whom I personally know, and whose veracity (as far as the trail goes) I trust. You choose to believe trail register entries by people who didn't hike with him and whom you don't know; unproven affidavits you haven't read by people you've never met; and descriptions of a lawsuit by the company being sued. And that's fine, I suppose.

I also choose to believe Eric, with whom I have talked. But I make no claims on his behalf, and I don't claim that anything has been "proved" one way or the other.

And of course, Eric wasn't teary-eyed in 2008 because he "[got] caught," but because he was unsure, when he got up to speak, of whether or not the audience would be full of people who share Nean's opinion. Fortunately that wasn't the case.

But snarky comments about someone's genuine emotional response are always welcome when I'm in an argument.

Mags
05-06-2010, 14:50
All I know is that meeting Eric in person, he seemed like a genuine, modest and nice guy. Jester is right about him being overwhelmed at how much people took an interest in his journey from 30 yrs ago. I also hear what Nean is saying...

But once you break bread with someone in person, it is hard to think badly of them. And if someone is nice and easy to talk to in person, it is really hard to think badly of them. :)

Nean
05-06-2010, 14:57
First, inserting your comments in something that states "Originally Posted by Jester2000" is unnecessarily confusing. I was surprised to see that I had said:

"The signed documents were the proof and Erics' suit was dropped by Eric, not dismissed. Besides, all you have to do is read the book and do the math." Because I didn't.

I know you weren't intending to confuse anyone. But there are better ways to respond than altering my quote.

Second, a signed affidavit is proof only that someone is making a claim. I, for example, could sign an affidavit that says that Baltimore Jack is eight feet tall and breathes fire. That wouldn't make it so (although he is and he can). So the "signed documents" are proof of nothing other than that those people were making those claims. None of what they said was proved in court or anywhere else.

Personally, I wasn't aware that ALDHA-West was an integrity-challenged organization, or that they were so obsessed with "marketing" the Western Gathering.

Note this: nowhere have I made any claims whatsoever about what Eric did or didn't do. I don't claim that anything is proven or disproven. I choose to believe the opinions of the hikers from the 70's (the "hikers of his day") whom I personally know, and whose veracity (as far as the trail goes) I trust. You choose to believe trail register entries by people who didn't hike with him and whom you don't know; unproven affidavits you haven't read by people you've never met; and descriptions of a lawsuit by the company being sued. And that's fine, I suppose.

I also choose to believe Eric, with whom I have talked. But I make no claims on his behalf, and I don't claim that anything has been "proved" one way or the other.

And of course, Eric wasn't teary-eyed in 2008 because he "[got] caught," but because he was unsure, when he got up to speak, of whether or not the audience would be full of people who share Nean's opinion. Fortunately that wasn't the case.

But snarky comments about someone's genuine emotional response are always welcome when I'm in an argument.

First of all, I think you are one of the nicest, funniest people I've ever met on or off the trail Jester and I have nothing but respect for you. I'm not woth a damn on the computer and was trying to answer each question at a time and didn't mean to alter anything you said.

Enough time has passed that people today don't have a clue about who he was, but are willing to believe what they are told today by events looking for speakers to promote and grow and/or raise $ for themselves.

Why would prominant townspeople and rangers sign affidavits saying they gave Eric rides from point a to point b.??? An overwhelming desire to slander not much more than a boy that they didn't know? And why would a respected publisher continue for years (I haven't seen the latest) pointing this out in there preface of the guides? They have mellowed over the years but the first year had the details that I refer to here.

And I know he wasn't crying because he got caught; no, he was crying because he was so happy he got away with it!

I'll bet I'd like Eric if I met him, but liking- or even loving somebody does not make them honest.

Who do you know that hiked with Eric, or even the same year? Don't you have a pretty good idea of who yellowblazes when you are hike?

As for unethical orgs out west- PLEASE- don't get me started. :eek: If you think I'm a honest person - take it for what it's worth. If not- the same. This aint the place and besides, I have high hopes that things are changing as the old politicans, primma donnas and tucktails fade from the picture.

You really should read his book. Its good, but if you've done the trail you see the holes. He'd have been traveling- oh, I don't know, 55-60mph for it to work.

Did you look past the tears into his eyes and ask him if he walked the whole way or skip major chunks? Most BS artist believe their own BS. Most con artist are the nicest sweetest folks in person. Its what makes them con-vincing, as they gain your con-fidence.

Going back and forth to respond to your points- I may have gotten some of these out of order, but hopefully I didn't skip anything.:D

Jester2000
05-06-2010, 17:12
Nean -- I know you didn't mean anything by the way you commented on my post -- I know you're an honest person who wouldn't think of trying to pull that kind of nonsense. It was just that it might be confusing for others who read your post.

Personally, I don't know anyone who hiked with Eric. But then again, neither did any of the people who posted comments about him in trail registers in the following years. And if I'm going to have faith in anyone who hiked in the years following Eric's hike, it's going to be people I know. Not people I don't know writing in trail registers.

Another thing I don't know is the prominence or character of the people who filed affidavits. The only person I know for sure who filed one was Barry Murray, and he apparently has his own issues and bitterness to deal with. Absent a list of those people, I won't speculate on their reliability or possible motivations. And neither should anyone else.

As for him needing to travel 55-60 miles per hour, I haven't read the book, so I can't comment. If the trail was the same length it is now (and I believe it was shorter), he would have had to average 20.5 miles/day to finish in 129 days. Doable.

And if there are sections of the book where he seems to leap ahead, well maybe that's a matter of editing. I know if you watch the movie about the PCT I'm going to release in June, you might think that The Sierra portion of the trail significantly longer than the 700 miles north of it, when in reality it's 500 miles or so shorter.

I definitely will read the book, though. I've heard from many sources that it's a good read, and maybe I'll better understand the issues with it when I do.

Generally speaking, I don't make comments about a person's character or claim to know what happened or what didn't when I don't have any actual facts to back up what I think I know. I think that would be unfair. For example, when I tell the story of Earl saying that Grandma Gatewood was a yellowblazer, I do so because I think it's funny that he said that. I don't claim to know that he was right; neither do I claim that him saying so makes it a fact.

But I can live with the fact that the two of us have differing opinions on Eric's hike. And I hope to see you soon!

left turn
05-08-2010, 08:58
i don't know if the guy is lying or not but i started hiking the AT in 2003 and i had no map (still don't), didn't know a single shelter name, i just knew it went South to North or North to south how ever you want to look at it.

i went to the roan high knob shelter and didn't know the name of that shelter, i was NOBO and there was just one sign up then (now here are two, at the time it was easy to miss the sign for that shelter) and just saw a path and walked up it and saw the shelter.

i literally just threw myself on the trail and still do, it's not like it's extremely remote, the trail always leads somewhere. makes it even more exciting. i've been in places on the AT and not know where i am at, but i have a compass if i stray away, i don't know many of the towns along the way either, but i know a few, i guess i'm clueless:D. i do know i have been able to get text messages out to my family and not be able to tell them where i am exactly but i know what i have past and most of the time i have a good idea of what's coming up, i'll end up somewhere is always my attitude

fw2008
05-08-2010, 10:31
Why lie? because you can.
I would never do something like this, but I have known (thankfully no longer know) people who wouldn't think twice about such a lie.
This one guy who was a runner while I was very active in road running would tell me he was going to run a specific race, and then when I couldn't find his name among the finishers, instead of simply fessing up and telling me he couldn't make it, or decided he just didn't feel up to the race, he would make up some bull story about his timing chip not working, or some other problem that would have caused his time not to be recorded.

I suppose it would be totally possible for someone to completely face an AT Thru-Hike here, or on another forum.
There are plenty of maps and data available for the trail, so one could name shelters, re-supply points, etc and state their current position on the trail with some accuracy.

But the big failure of such a scam would be this hiker's lack of contact with any of the other thru-hikers. It would be as though he/she were a phantom.

What anyone would gain by such a thing, I have no idea.

FW

sidebackside
05-08-2010, 10:46
There are plenty of maps and data available for the trail, so one could name shelters, re-supply points, etc and state their current position on the trail with some accuracy.
FW

As the post before yours mentioned, I can see how someone might just throw themselves onto the trail without knowing very much. I can go there with that thought. A problem I have with this guy is, when I was talking to him apparently, he claimed to be on his net book. At the shelter. If one had that access to unlimted information, why wouldn't you look and see where you're at! Also, he had claimed to have thru-hiked solo once before. And still didn't know anything about where he was at. Just seemed strange...like a lie. :)

TIDE-HSV
05-08-2010, 10:57
Why lie? because you can.
I would never do something like this, but I have known (thankfully no longer know) people who wouldn't think twice about such a lie.
This one guy who was a runner while I was very active in road running would tell me he was going to run a specific race, and then when I couldn't find his name among the finishers, instead of simply fessing up and telling me he couldn't make it, or decided he just didn't feel up to the race, he would make up some bull story about his timing chip not working, or some other problem that would have caused his time not to be recorded.

I suppose it would be totally possible for someone to completely face an AT Thru-Hike here, or on another forum.

But the big failure of such a scam would be this hiker's lack of contact with any of the other thru-hikers. It would be as though he/she were a phantom.

What anyone would gain by such a thing, I have no idea.

FW

You hit there. I'm just a section hiker, but one of my best friends did a thru within the decade. He pointed out that people who claim thrus falsely increase the probability of exposure by posting here or similar boards, simply because more and more alums of the same year, spread out by start date, etc., can't seem to remember them...

fw2008
05-08-2010, 12:13
As the post before yours mentioned, I can see how someone might just throw themselves onto the trail without knowing very much. I can go there with that thought. A problem I have with this guy is, when I was talking to him apparently, he claimed to be on his net book. At the shelter. If one had that access to unlimted information, why wouldn't you look and see where you're at! Also, he had claimed to have thru-hiked solo once before. And still didn't know anything about where he was at. Just seemed strange...like a lie. :)
Yea; I forgot about the NetBook. It's been a while since I've read that far back in the thread :D

This guy is definitely a suspect thru-hiker wanna-be, who has gone one step too far in fantasizing.

FW

fw2008
05-08-2010, 12:18
Sorry for multiple posts, but could you tell me what chat site this guy is on, and what he calls himself?
I would be very curious to chat with this dude. I have a lot of information on the AT at my fingertips, and have been studying up for a possible TH next year.
I'd like to have fun with this guy!

FW

Nean
05-08-2010, 19:29
From the PCT Guidebook- 1986

SOME WHO WALKED
...the first person to claim he did the whole route in one continuous journey-in 1970- was Eric Ryback, in The High Adventure of Eric Ryback. In the first edition of this [guide] book, the authors had strong reasons for doubting Rybacks claim. In response Ryback and his publisher each sued the authors for 3,000,000 damages. The suit was never tried. After Ryback, his publisher and their lawyers saw copies of the evidence the authors had, including letters from people who said they had given rides to Ryback, they dropped the suit. The authors did not have to make any promises or compromises; the suit was just plain dropped.

The first person to hike the entire PCT in one countinuous trek was Richard Watson on Sept. 1, 1972

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2010, 20:17
boooorrring

fw2008
05-08-2010, 20:56
From the PCT Guidebook- 1986

SOME WHO WALKED
...the first person to claim he did the whole route in one continuous journey-in 1970- was Eric Ryback, in The High Adventure of Eric Ryback. In the first edition of this [guide] book, the authors had strong reasons for doubting Rybacks claim. In response Ryback and his publisher each sued the authors for 3,000,000 damages. The suit was never tried. After Ryback, his publisher and their lawyers saw copies of the evidence the authors had, including letters from people who said they had given rides to Ryback, they dropped the suit. The authors did not have to make any promises or compromises; the suit was just plain dropped.

The first person to hike the entire PCT in one countinuous trek was Richard Watson on Sept. 1, 1972
So, the first AT thru-hike was in 1970? I would think that others would have done it much earlier than this, considering the trail has existed since 1923!

Or, is is just that no one made a point of telling anyone they had hiked the entire trail before 1970.

Perhaps then, along the same thought, someone reached the summit of Mt. Everest a long time before Hillary and Tenzing did in 1953

FW

Jester2000
05-08-2010, 22:11
So, the first AT thru-hike was in 1970? I would think that others would have done it much earlier than this, considering the trail has existed since 1923!

Or, is is just that no one made a point of telling anyone they had hiked the entire trail before 1970.

Perhaps then, along the same thought, someone reached the summit of Mt. Everest a long time before Hillary and Tenzing did in 1953

FW

Are you aware that the PCT is not the AT?

fw2008
05-08-2010, 23:02
Are you aware that the PCT is not the AT?
I'm sorry. I misread your post. I thought you were talking about the AT.
My bad.

FW

Tin Man
05-09-2010, 14:01
boooorrring

then why you on this thread? duh!

TIDE-HSV
05-09-2010, 17:57
I don't know how many have actually read the Ryback books, but the AT book was a decent read. The next follow-on was so internally inconsistent (and physically impossible), I quit part way through, because I felt that the author was taking me for a fool. I'm not surprised that the defamation suit died...

TOW
05-09-2010, 19:30
All (to my knowledge) have a name. However, many do not have labels or signs affixed to them, telling their names, no.

As far as why people lie? Let us all know if you figure that one out! :-? Just know that they do, especially at anonymous keyboards ... and time will tell.

Rain:sunMan

This is true Rain Man, everyone lies or has lied. I have lied on here as well, even got caught at it one time when I signed up as the alias "Ralph Reed." In fact I am well known around here as Lying Larry who owns the Damascus Mall...........:banana

Nean
05-09-2010, 22:09
boooorrring

mamma always said, Only boring people get bored.....;)

firemike
07-28-2010, 19:11
Mountain wildman your right I do feel more comfy knowing that im not the only one obsesst with the trail

Bare Bear
07-29-2010, 13:13
I will admit that many times other hikers have asked me where I had stayed the night before and I did not remember the name of the shelter, camp, etc. and had to ask someone else that I had been with.....
That's why I kept a journal, to remember.

theycallmej
07-29-2010, 20:33
It's very probable the chap is lying. Many of us have things we would love to do in life but we lack the courage to try, so we SAY we did it just in order to have recognition. A liar can quickly be found by asking specifics, you can tell because they'll pause before answering.

Best thing to say is that if you suspect someone is lying to you, ask specifics without probing or making them think you're onto them. Let them sort out their condition as they will-- until they get the courage to do it, the joke is on them.

Panzer1
07-29-2010, 21:32
maybe he's being secretive and doesn't want to give his exact position:confused:

Panzer

coyote13
07-29-2010, 21:34
I guess I'm just a tad southwest of him now...I'm in florida

sidebackside
07-29-2010, 23:12
It's very probable the chap is lying. Many of us have things we would love to do in life but we lack the courage to try, so we SAY we did it just in order to have recognition.

I agree with you.