PDA

View Full Version : Neusoik Trail Web Site

gunner76
03-24-2010, 16:48
I hike the Neusoik Trail alot as it is the nearest trail to where I live. My problem is that while there is some information on the trail out there, it is scattered and still lacking (in my opinon) so I put a web site togeather dedicated to the trail.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

I am the old fart in the pictures and the young kid is my son who I take along to carry the pack with water and food ( I think he hikes with me for the food ).

http://www.neusioktrail.org/

10-K
03-24-2010, 16:50
I hike the Neusoik Trail alot as it is the nearest trail to where I live. My problem is that while there is some information on the trail out there, it is scattered and still lacking (in my opinon) so I put a web site togeather dedicated to the trail.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

I am the old fart in the pictures and the young kid is my son who I take along to carry the pack with water and food ( I think he hikes with me for the food ).

http://www.neusoiktrail.org/

Man, that's awesome. I posted a month or so ago looking for information on this trail and was only able to get bits and pieces of information.

I'm just down the coast in Wilmington and wanted to hike the trail before it got hot and the reptiles came out. :)

Tennessee Viking
03-24-2010, 17:20
Gunner76,

Looks great. It is very informative. Especially with the shelters and water sources.

If you don't mind, I would like pass your website along to the rest of the FMST. Get a link and something put on the ncmst.org website.

By the way, I was at the FMST meeting, and heard about some possible relocations. Any word on that?

Also, any word on other trail conditions I can pass along to the rest of the FMST?

gunner76
03-24-2010, 17:33
Was not expecting feedback so fast.

The snakes are starting to come out as we saw two black snakes and many lizards this past weekend. No mosquitoes yet, but they will be here soon.

We hiked the Pine Cliffs section this past weekend and it was very dry compared to most times I have hiked the trail. Also saw several fellow packbackers and families out hiking.

Please feel free to pass on the web site link to anyone you think might be interested.

y the way, I was at the FMST meeting, and heard about some possible relocations. Any word on that?

Have not heard anything about trail locations, if I do I will post on the site.

carolinablonde
05-11-2010, 07:49
I grew up less than .5 mile from where the Neusiok crosses Mill Creek Rd near Oyster Point! My Dad is a hunter, so we used to go in the woods a lot, but no one ever wanted to take me out on the Neusiok (my Dad's only active if he's trying to kill or catch something, ie hunting, fishing, clamming, etc). My husband and I finally did a small section near Pine Cliffs a year or so ago, and then in March we parked at 101 and went through to Mill Creek. Didn't have time to continue on to Oyster Point (or Duncan Landing, as the locals call it---I remember our church used to turn that section into a Haunted Trail for Halloween :) ). We loved the trail and had such a great time, even though about 3 miles of it was underwater, and the brush is so thick on either side that you have to just go through it. And almost two months later, I still have scratch marks on the backs of my legs from an unfortunate entanglement with a briary vine. ;) Now I want to do the whole thing in a day, but I'm not touching that trail in the summer so we'll aim for the fall if one of our visits "home" coincides with appropriate weather.

Point Man Chef
05-11-2010, 10:58
Great site and Info! Brutally awesome. That is the only way my son and I could describe the trail as we hiked it early this spring. We started late, 11AM, and hiked 18.5 miles the first day. Warning! We made the decision to press on late to the last shelter going south and it was brutally awesome. The last 4.4 miles does NOT have one single footbridge. We will never forget hiking through a swamp at night with headlamps! Be prepared to have wet boots. We hiked out the next day to Oyster Point and a great guy named Bob King gave my son and I a lift back to the northern trailhead. Plan was to just spend two days, hike down and back but... After the first day we changed plans! It was brutally awesome and a memory my son and I will always have. Wish I had this site before we started!!!

Tonus
05-11-2010, 21:40
I've done a lot of dayhiking on the Neusiok and twice backpacked it with wife and Beagle. I like the way you've gathered up the available information and have bookmarked your site. I would add two things:

1. For those who asked about current trail conditions: an email to members of the Carteret County Wildlife Club before starting a hike is a great way to learn about the current trail conditions. They've been very helpful to me. They also have trail maintenance workdays several times a year and are glad for volunteers.

2. About your section on parking. In my opinion, the Pine Cliff parking lot is not a safe place to leave your car overnight. When planning my first trip two years ago, I was warned by the forest service that this lot has a lot of break-ins. I decided to take my chances anyway and parked in the lot. There we met two persons who had parked there the night before. One had had his tires slashed and the other his windows broken. Needless to say I found another place to park. When I called the Forest Service this year they again told me that there had been recent break-ins in the Pine Cliffs lot. On the other hand, I have had good experiences with the Oyster Point parking lot.

gunner76
05-14-2010, 09:49
I have added a forum for posting trail updates and allowing users to post their expierences.

I agree the Oyster Point parking is probably safer but that is becuase there is a live caretaker at the Oyster Point campground, first trailer on the right in the campground. I have not has any problems with parking at any of the parking areas but I have not left a vehicle overnight at any spot either. The trail is also close to Harlow witch is the drug capital of the county.

The Carteret Wildlife Club is a great organization and they made me an honorary member becuase of the web site. But they do not have any updated current events information on the trail. There was a fire on the trail that has closed part of the trail and you will only find that out on my site.

HopsnBarley
12-10-2010, 13:29
I'm moving to New Bern next week and I'm really looking forward to hiking the Neusiok. I really appreciate all the info and pictures on your website.

Do you know of other trails in the area that are worth a backpacking weekend? I found some info on the weetok trail. Also the Uwharrie seems nice, but almost a 4 hour drive.

Tennessee Viking
12-10-2010, 14:45
I'm moving to New Bern next week and I'm really looking forward to hiking the Neusiok. I really appreciate all the info and pictures on your website.

Do you know of other trails in the area that are worth a backpacking weekend? I found some info on the weetok trail. Also the Uwharrie seems nice, but almost a 4 hour drive.

Hops,

The Uwharries are a weekend adventure. The Uwharrie Trail is about 20 miles. Its fairly easy hike of rolling hills. Only difficult parts are climbing up through loose rock beds. Then during the summer water is hard to find. You can also add the Dutchman's Trail which is fairly more scenic. Blazing is fairly good.

The Birkhead Wilderness loop is full of history. Old mines and cabins. Tons of side trails and loops. The USFS and a local group are trying to re-connect the Birkhead Trail to the Uwharrie Trail. Needs better blazing and markers.

I would recommend getting the Uwharrie Lake Region Trail Guide. It explains loops and exact trail routes. http://www.amazon.com/Uwharrie-Lakes-Region-Trail-Guide/dp/0964369834/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292006319&sr=8-1

Also be sure to hit up the MST around the Raleigh-Durham area.

gunner76
12-12-2010, 22:24
possible relocations

The forest service hired a private contractor to do some major trail work on the Oyster Point Section and the The Pines section south of the forest service roads.

Some of the trail work can be seen here (along with other photos of the trail) http://neusioktrail.org/NeusiokPhotos/main.php (http://neusioktrail.org/NeusiokPhotos/main.php)

The only relocation is just talk but the Carteret Wildlife Club is trying to get the 2 mile road section of the trail off the forest service road and back into the woods. Problem is that the area is so boggy/wet/flooded that there is no good place to run the trail.

The Neusiok's sister trail , the Weetock Trail has had parts rerouted due to archaeological sites being found along the trail.

hobbs
12-12-2010, 22:49
great job like what you did.

gunner76
12-12-2010, 22:55
Thanks, lot of work but worth it. Some of the members of the Carteret Wildlife Club thought I was trying to take over their website which I explained to me them I was not. If they ever ask for help with their site I will be glad to help out.

Beachcomber
05-20-2011, 18:38
Just a late entry to say 1) I found your site very thorough, useful and informative, and 2) my son and I did a weekend on the Neusiok (Pine Cliff to Dogwood Camp and back) in late April as an early shakedown for my trail season, and enjoyed it very much. As a longtime resident of coastal NC, I was pleasantly surprised by the great variety of terrain and ecosystems in that relatively small part of the Croatan NF.
Finally, a big shout-out to the Carteret County Wildlife Club for the amazing job they've done building literally miles of boardwalks through the wetlands. That's a major investment in money, time and sheer sweat!

10-K
05-20-2011, 20:59
Can you hike the trail in June or July without getting snakebit and eaten alive by bugs? Honestly, I'd be a little afraid to hike it in the hot summer knowing what I know about the area (lived in Wilmington 26 years).

I'd like to hike it but I've always thought it would be best in the dead of winter (such as it is on the coast). I would likely start early one morning and yo-yo it in one day starting at Oyster Point.

gunner76
05-21-2011, 20:04
Can you hike the trail in June or July without getting snakebit and eaten alive by bugs? Honestly, I'd be a little afraid to hike it in the hot summer knowing what I know about the area (lived in Wilmington 26 years).

Possible but not likely, how fast can you run ?

I will be out on the trail tomorrow and it may be the last hike of the season depending on the bugs. I find the bugs more of a problem than the snakes. But then I am one of those people who like snakes as they help to keep the rat/mouse popluations under control.

Best time to hike this trail is late Sept/Oct thru April/May depending on the weather.

The Carteret Wildlife Club will be increasing the length of the Neusiok Trail. The plans are to add 3+ loops and maybe some more shelters to the trail. However becuase of the bugs nothing will happen until this fall.

rowan
11-07-2011, 22:07
Just a big shout-out to gunner. This past weekend I hiked as much of the Neusiok as was possible, as the Pine Cliffs section apparently has some 121 trees down across the trail. Hopped on at 306 and hiked to oyster point, camped in a little nook right off the trail after the 2mi forest service road section.

Bugs weren't a problem, beautiful colors in the hardwood understory of some of the pine savannahs... and best of all, I got most of my info from your website! Many thanks, it was a stellar time.

-rowan

gunner76
11-08-2011, 22:08
The number of downed trees from the hurrican is overwhelming. The forest service has cleared parts of the trail but there is still a lot to be done. There is suppose to be trail maintenance this weekend by volunteers but I do not have the details of time and place yet. Parts of the trail at Pine Cliffs is gone and will have to be rebuilt

Creek Dancer
01-09-2012, 09:24
Some friends and I hiked the entire length of the Neusiok trial this past weekend (1.7.12 - 1.8.12), north to south. The first couple of miles of the northern half had some blowdowns and trail damage, but we had no problem finding our waay. The southern half was in excellent condition with no blow downs and no mud to walk through, which I understand is unusual. There are several new boardwalks thanks to the hard work of some very dedicated maintainers!

We met a couple of thru-hikers who said that the innformation they received from the FMST indicated the southern half of the trail was closed and they were directed around using a road walk. We could not see a reason for the closure.

This trail is perfect for a beginner. In fact, we passed two groups of boy scouts. The trail is very flat with no real challenges. Unfortunately, it's also not very interesting. But I was happy for an overnighter with friends and we didn't have to drive very far.

gunner76
01-10-2012, 23:03
The Oyster Point to Hwy 306 section of the trail (15 miles) was just recently cleared (last 2 weeks) and apparently the Forest Service just dug (the past 2 days) a new fire line near the Hwy 306 section of the trail which has blocked part of the trail.

I believe the MST folks are just being carefull about the trail conditions and does not want to report the trail as being open until the whole trail is back in shape.

I just back from a meeting held by the Carteret County Wildlife Club (who by the way started the trail 40 years ago and does the majority of the work on maintaining it) and we are waiting for word from the Forest Service on our request to blaze a new section of trail along the Pine Cliffs section to replace parts wiped out from the hurricane. Due to the number and size of the downed trees the Forest Service asked that the task of removing the downed trees be left to them.

While the views of much of the trail do not compare to the AT, it does cover some very unique habitat only found here in coastal NC and is the longest trail in eastern NC. I don't count the MST as most of it here east of I 95 is on roads, not in the woods

ATBob
02-14-2012, 17:49
In the middle of hiking the Neusiok. Did Pinecliffs to 306 on 2/13/2012 and will complete it tomorrow, 2/15/2012. Journal entry at trailjournals.com/tattoo.
Would post journal entry on the website, but my registration request is still pending.
Gunner, I have seen your plate around here somewhere, not sure where.
Hike on - Tattoo
PS: the pump at copperhead is broken again.

gunner76
02-15-2012, 15:02
The whole trail is open again. I am told the Forest Service has removed all the downed trees on the Pine Cliffs section and even cleared the new section of trail along the Neuse River cliffs section of the trail (a couple of club members marked the new section of trail and had been waiting for the Forest Service to approve it so we could clear it only to find out the Forest Service had gone ahead and cleared it for us...so a big THANKS to the Forest Service). The club is planning a hike on the trail in a couple of weeks.

We also got word from a couple of different hikers that the Copperhead Landing water pump is broken again (it was just repaired a few months ago).

ATBob my registration request is still pending.
you should be active now.

If you want to join the Neusiok Trail forum, it is free to do so. However due to the number of spammers trying to join you need to send me an email a gswheat at gmail.com to let me know you registered, otherwise I will think you are just another spammer and delete your request.