PDA

View Full Version : Need some new boot advice

greginmi
03-24-2010, 20:23
I plan on doing a lot of hiking this summer, including 2 weeks in Philmont with my son's Boy Scout troop, and I'd like to upgrade to better boots.

Problem is I'm struggling to find a boot where I get that "Aahh.." feeling when I put them on.

Heel and arch fit has been fine on most of the boots. The problem is at the front of the boot.

It seems like all the boots I've tried press on the knuckle of my little toe to varying degrees.

Some boots like the Asolo Fugitive in 11.5 wide don't press a lot, but my small toe still feels cramped and can't flex like my other toes.

Here's an idea of the boots I've tried:
- Hi-Tec Cascadian
- Asolo Fugutive GTX
- New Balance 1500 Rainier
- Merrell Legacy GTX

I'm wondering if there are some other boot manufacturers I should consider? Another option I'm consider is to buy the boots that fit the best and then have them stretched a bit at a local shoe repair store.

My pack weight is typically 45 pounds, including food and water.

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Greg

Cool AT Breeze
03-24-2010, 20:30
Have you tried Keens? They have a wider and taller toe box.

Mongoose2
03-24-2010, 20:36
Have you tried trailrunners? I used to use boots and had the same issues. No so with trailrunners.

Kel, the "Stickman"
03-24-2010, 21:22
I tried the Cresta Hikers, which I purchased at L.L. Bean's. They felt GREAT from the first time I slipped them on my feet. I had only one blister, early in my hike, and that was my own fault. I didn't lace them up well, then started up a mountain. Half way up I had a "hotspot", which I ignored... DUH!

Never had a problem, until about 600 miles, and I blew out the sole, at the toe. Flapping was not cool. I phoned Mrs. Stickman, she got ahold of L.L. Bean, and there were NEW BOOTS (FREE!!!) at my next mail drop! However, a local cobbler took a look at the blowout... He said that a successful repair was not likely, but I pleaded. He worked on them while I had lunch. Upon my return, they were ready. repaired for a mere $10! I returned the NEW BOOTS to L.L. Bean, with a "Thank-you", and put 200 more miles on the old boots. That was in 2007, and since then, I have used them and abused them on pretty much a daily basis, working at a lumber yard. (They are just about "done").

Don't know if they would work for you, but you might try them. If you purchase through L.L. Bean, they will stand behind them!

Father Dragon
03-24-2010, 21:55
They might not be right for you but I just recently got a pair of Lowa boots and they are prefect for me. They are a bit pricey though.

If you are going up Mt. Baldy (at Philmont) on the scree side I would recommend boots over trail runners. When I hiked Baldy there in 96, I remember that every two steps I took on the scree would cause me to slide back at least a step. It is rough on the ankles. I don't know if it has changed but the gear and food they issued back then was pretty heavy too.

If you aren't going up Baldy and they don't issue 2 pound cans of chicken salad anymore, trail runners might be fine though it really depends on what you feel comfortable wearing... in other words don't take my advice as anything more than my experience. But you should really go up 12,000 ft Baldy as much as you should go over the Tooth of Time ... IMHO

Here's a URL that has some pictures of Baldy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldy_Mountain_%28Colfax_County,_New_Mexico%29

Sassafras Lass
03-25-2010, 12:11
My husband is very happy with his Montrail Torre boots so far - they're also currently quite cheap @ Campmor http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19441 . He doesn't consider himself to have wide feet, but he tried his dad's Montrail Gentor wide boots (the Torre is the evolved version of the Gentor) and they fit him like a glove, so he ordered the Torre boots. They suit him very well (though they're rather stiff at first). Perhaps you could look into those - I know my father-in-law has wide, flat feet, and he has the same size boot as my husband now (12W).

Hope this helps you! :)

txag
03-25-2010, 12:32
My brother has similar foot size and width issues and was able to find a fit using Danner boots.

AeroGuyDC
03-25-2010, 12:43
Have you tried Keens? They have a wider and taller toe box.

I second this. I have the Keen Oregon PCT backpacking boot and so far i'm very happy with the fit.

Spokes
03-25-2010, 14:37
Definitely try a pair of Keen Targhee II mid boots on. They're comfortable but the price for comfort usually means less mileage. Considering your pack weight, trailrunners may not be the best choice. You're call.

Remember swapping out insoles with some like SuperFeet (blue or green) can address fit issues due to improper volume sizing.

Here's wishing you a speedy "Boot Epiphany"!

mudhead
03-25-2010, 17:10
It seems like all the boots I've tried press on the knuckle of my little toe to varying degrees.

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Greg
Any shoe I have had that felt like that would chew the knuckle raw. You need more toe room. Try and find someone that actually has some knowledge to fit you. Too big also suks.

Beware the high reputation places. Local place tried to stuff me into a 2E pair, guy whispered later after I called him on it, that they had no 4E. His boss was hovering.

Zappos have "free" shipping both ways, so you can try stuff on. Also has a good search function by size/width.

Good luck.

Tinker
03-25-2010, 18:46
http://www.limmercustomboot.com/

If you want boots, THESE are BOOTS!
I have a pair I bought in the early 1990s, but haven't worn them for the past 8 years since switching to light fabric boots, then low top hikers, then trail runners as my pack got lighter and my knees got tired of picking up heavy footwear mile after mile.
Still, once broken in (about 50 miles of blisters), I consider them worth the price I paid (over $300.00 in the early 1990s).
I used to call them my "Five pound slippers".

Spokes
03-25-2010, 19:01
http://www.limmercustomboot.com/

If you want boots, THESE are BOOTS!
I have a pair I bought in the early 1990s, but haven't worn them for the past 8 years since switching to light fabric boots, then low top hikers, then trail runners as my pack got lighter and my knees got tired of picking up heavy footwear mile after mile.
Still, once broken in (about 50 miles of blisters), I consider them worth the price I paid (over $300.00 in the early 1990s).
I used to call them my "Five pound slippers".

YIKES!!!!! $625 a pair and still get blisters! Aren't you suppose to wear cotton tube socks with them?

Tinker
03-25-2010, 19:07
YIKES!!!!! $625 a pair and still get blisters! Aren't you suppose to wear cotton tube socks with them?

No. No cotton. Best way to get blisters in heavy leather boots is to wear cotton. It gets soaked from perspiration and sticks to skin and boots, inducing friction - plus, it makes the skin extra moist and soft, a perfect recipe for blisters.
I started using Thor-lo hiking socks (mostly acrylic), then switched to Smartwools, which I like much better. I tried heavy wool socks with polypro liners but got more blisters than I did with the Thor-lo's.

Btw: All stiff soled boots will give you blisters until they're broken in. Wear Moleskin while breaking them. Also, filling them with hot water, letting them soak for 1/2 hour, then walking in them until you can't stand the pain anymore works well to start the break-in process.
Because of my feet plus the stiffness of the boots, I got blisters. I don't know if it happened to anyone else with the Limmers.
They are darned hot in warm weather, that's for sure!
Once broken in they feel wonderful, but the weight makes them more of a burden than a joy.

Spokes
03-25-2010, 19:15
No. No cotton. Best way to get blisters in heavy leather boots is to wear cotton........

hehehehehe............ the tubesock comment was meant to be sarcastic since those boots look so DARN HEAVY and like something you'd see people wearing in 1990's issues of BackPacker magazines!

Boy have times changed.

johnnybgood
03-25-2010, 19:21
Have you tried Keens? They have a wider and taller toe box. +1 . The Targhee II Mid Boot has been very reliable so far . http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/...%20mid/concord.

It's a incredibly comfortable boot with a wide toe box and stout toe guard.

Tinker
03-25-2010, 19:28
Keens fit the profile of my feet but not the volume. My feet are too flat. Even with Superfeet Orange they are a bit too roomy. The funny thing is that I've owned three models of Keens, and the best fit was the Newport H2 sandals, which I wore through 20 miles of the Hundred Mile Wilderness, the ten miles up to the top of Katahdin, and the 5+ miles back to Abol Bridge (my Keen low tops - I forgot the model -had stretched and my feet actually would start to roll in them on sidehills).
The Newport H2s have nylon straps which don't stretch as much as leather when wet.

greginmi
03-26-2010, 11:07
Thanks for the info/feedback.

I've ordered a pair of Keen Oregon PCTs and Montrail Torre GTXs.

Gotta' love the Internet.

Someone somewhere has what you are looking for on sale.

Of course, the Internet has forced a lot of local places out of business where you could go in and try stuff on. <sigh>

I'll post an update when the new boots arrive!

Regards,
Greg

greginmi
04-02-2010, 10:08
I ended up going with the New Balance 1500s in 4E.

This is unusual because my foot isn't that wide, but the boots fit/feel great!

If these don't work, the Montrail Torre GTXs were a close 2nd. The only issue with the Montrails were the volume of the footbox being huge! I'd have to buy thicker insoles for sure.

I did try the Keen Oregon PCTs and really liked them. They appear to run small and I would need at least size 12s. I didn't try this since I had the 4E NBs already and liked them.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I think I have reached boot nirvana, but only time and miles will tell.

Regards,
Greg

Jonnycat
04-03-2010, 11:03
If you find a pair of leather boots you like, a cobbler can easily stretch out the area your little piggy hits.

Sassafras Lass
08-03-2010, 21:22
"Definitely try a pair of Keen Targhee II mid boots on."

I heartily second that - that's what I own, and they make walking effortless. Shoes have always been problematic for me, something is always being rubbed one or or the other, but the Keen Targhee II mid boots are excellent.

12ax7
08-03-2010, 22:23
i bought a pair of HI TEK altitude V light Ultra, thought i wud give them a try. they are light, and feel great on my feet. only had them abt 6 months and they beat my Merrels , rockys and Vasque i have owned over the years. as a surveyor for 20 odd years in east Ky and Va they have held up great carrying instruments up strait up mountains. lol. the only problem i have found ,they are low cut and you get alot of sticks and rocks in them..but keep in mind i dont walk on trails. so i wud think a pair of gaitors wud fix this. i some time wear snake chaps and it works great!.. hope this helps..

SMSP
08-04-2010, 11:01
Let us know how the New Balance boots work out.

I have a pair of Vasque Breeze GTX boots. Have been very satisfied with them. I use these for backpacking.

I also use a pair of Marrell Moab Ventilators for trail shoes, which are worn for just about everything. To work, to casual functions, day hiking, at the range. Just an all arounf great shoe IMO.

SMSP