PDA

View Full Version : Chacos

A-Train
10-08-2004, 14:27
Question to any and all Chaco users. I've finally decided to commit to buying these guys. Lookking at the Z1's with Terreno soles for hiking. But I'm looking on EBay since I'm too cheap to shell out 90 bucks. How do the sizes run? Small, big or regular? I usually wear a 13, occasionally a 12. Whats the best size to look for without trying them on??

tlbj6142
10-08-2004, 14:47
I think the sizing was dead on. My street shoe size is 8.5. When wearing an 8, my toes were a bit over the end of the footbed. With a 9, there is a 0.25" or more of clearance. Though at the end of a day of hiking, my little toes do come right up to the edge and maybe a bit over.

I'd go with the 13, maybe 14. You do NOT what you smack your toes on a rock.

chknfngrs
10-08-2004, 14:48
I think you should take your size and look 1/2 size down; as I normally wear a size 10.5 shoe, but wear a size 10 Chaco. Why not go to an outfiiter and TRY them on first, as no one says you have to BUY them at full price.

Grimace
10-08-2004, 15:10
I'm right with you on foot size. Manufacturers stop making half sizes over size 12. Therefore there is more discrepancy in size. Go with the 13. As someone else said above. You don't want to smack toes on rocks. I have the Z1's with Terreno soles. You may want to look at REI Outlet. I got mine on sale at REI becuae the color was a year old.

Footslogger
10-08-2004, 15:25
Sold dozens of them when I worked at REI. That experience seemed to lean toward going up a bit in size. They are sold in whole sizes only. Most folks who wear a half size (eg 10.5) went with the next full size upward and were happy. Admittedly though ...the majority of those people did not use them for hiking.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Hammock Hanger
10-08-2004, 15:41
I wear a 7.5 shoe and the 8 Chaco fit perfect. Giving me just a little extra in the toe area for "stub protection". I would be careful going up two sizes, cuz in shoes that would actually be 4 sizes (taking in the halfs). If the sandal is too long you will have a tripping problem. I think going to an outfitter and trying them on for sizing is a smart way to go. Then when you are confident in the size you can go to ebay. Good luck. BTW: I own 4 pairs of Chacos and love each and every pair. They are my main shoe at home and on the trail. (Though I did change to sneakers in the Whites.) Sue/HH

chknfngrs
10-08-2004, 15:44
The Flip is also another nice addition to their quiver of slogging devices.

The Will
10-08-2004, 19:08
I wouldn't let cost be prohibitive when buying Chacos. You can get them re-webbed and re-soled. I originally ordered mine with the 5.10 stealth rubber sole, which served it's purpose in the paddling environment I was in at the time but is very soft and I had to be replaced. Also, a dog got into them and shredded the straps. Still the footbed (main body of the shoe) shoes no signs of quitting any time soon and I literally wear these sandals every day of the week the weather is accomodating.

Just something for your consideration...If you got a Z2 model, you could use the big toe strap (or not) on your whim, essentially allowing you to convert back and forth between a Z1 and Z2 design as you like.

Welcome to the happy family of discerning sandal shoppers.

Tha Wookie
10-08-2004, 20:30
Island Mama and I just walked the entire West Coast in Chacos.

Well worth the cost. They last far longer than shoes.

illininagel
10-08-2004, 23:55
I've been looking for some good sandals and the Chacos look great. I've posted an image for those that haven't seen them yet.

I've also noticed that several reputable eBay sellers are offering a variety of sizes in these sandals for as much as 50% off. Is it wrong to lock in on a size at REI and then order them for half price on eBay?

Bluebearee
10-09-2004, 00:06
I have the ones with the toe loop. I normally wear a 6.5 or maybe a 7 (esp. now after my hike), but I took a 6.0 in my Chacos.

illininagel
10-11-2004, 20:27
Although their web site doesn't seem to indicate it yet, I was in REI earlier this evening trying on some Chaco sandals. REI just dropped the price (from $90 to the mid $60s) in their Fall sale for these sandals.

It sounded like a pretty good price, so I thought I would pass the information along.

illininagel
10-17-2004, 20:22
I recently purchased Chaco sandals from "the shoe planet"--an eBay vendor. I received the sandals within two days of winning the auction. I was very pleased with the service. Best of all, a new pair of Chaco Z/1 Terrano Sandals only cost me $39.90! I did pay $8 for shipping and there was no sales tax applicable.

The Shoe Planet (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63850&item=5331109031&rd=1)

Percival
10-17-2004, 20:26
You were lucky but what if they didn't fit? Could you have returned them? The problem with ordering shoes and clothing over the internet is that sizes vary with each manufacturer. Sometimes with each article. I would only buy shoes from a dealer that accepts returns and has an established reputashun.

illininagel
10-17-2004, 21:09
but what if they didn't fit? Could you have returned them?

I tried the Chaco sandals at my local REI store for fit. So, I was confident in the size before I placed my order. However, if they did not fit properly, Chaco accepts returns provided that the sandals have "not been worn outside." Here's some information from the Chaco website:

I have a new pair of Chaco footwear. Can I exchange them through you?
Yes, Chaco will exchange current models and webbing colors only, for a $10 exchange fee, provided the sandals are still in brand new condition.

I tested the sandals for the first time this afternoon during a four mile walk. They felt great!

Tonce
10-26-2004, 18:16
I have been thinking of getting a pair of these, but can I wear socks with them when it gets colder or will have to have a extra big pair to have big wooly socks in them.. 12's fit great on me but didnt try them on at the outfitter with socks on and don't wanna drive 50 miles just to try them on again what ya'll think?

Tonce

Hammock Hanger
10-26-2004, 18:21
I have been thinking of getting a pair of these, but can I wear socks with them when it gets colder or will have to have a extra big pair to have big wooly socks in them.. 12's fit great on me but didnt try them on at the outfitter with socks on and don't wanna drive 50 miles just to try them on again what ya'll think?

Tonce
The straps are adjustable so that you can make them wider when you wear socks and cinch them down tighter when you are barefoot. Sue/HH

illininagel
10-26-2004, 21:01
Yeah. I wear size 12 also. I've been very happy with the sandals so far and have worn them both with heavy socks and without socks. There is plenty of play in the straps to accomodate either.

tlbj6142
10-27-2004, 09:51
Just make sure you exercise your straps a few times a year. Otherwise they seize up and become quite difficult to move. Especially once sand gets "under" the straps.

cshir003
11-01-2004, 11:34
I wear a Z-2, and I needed to get them a size small. I normally wear 10.5, but a 10.5 chaco was much too big for my foot. the footbed itself fit well, but the area in front of my toes extended quite a bit too far. I wear a size 9 chaco, and it's very comfortable. go to a retailer and try some on for size, then get your cheaper version.